Best Magical Item on Elite Champion

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thori
Slave (off the Altar)

Best Magical Item on Elite Champion

Post by Thori »

Hello All,

I was writing my new list for an October tournament and then bump into my Black guard champion item. With the new generic magical items, can we make something different from Purpledeath item ?

I was thinking of the new Horror item or maybe the one that obligates to relaunch successful Invu save ? Which is the best : supporting the unit or make more death ?

What did you use with BG or CoK champ ? :)

Thanks
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

Good question thori, but im gonna say it before anybody else, it depends on your the rest of your army and the sizes of your units. On black gurads i always used either RoH, CD or null talisman, but in this edition i dont use RoH as much. And with the CoK i used RoH, null taisman or whip of agony, but today i use Potion of follhardiness and a null talisman, mostly becouse i always have a CoB to give me 5+ ward if i need, but if i dident use a CoB i would take the 6+ward against warmachines icon.

Hope that helped a bit! :)
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Dragonhelmet and 1 null talisman could be a good set up.

That'd give your blackguard champ a 4+ save, with 2+ ward save versus fire attacks, as well as confering a 6+ ward save versus magic onto the unit.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Nothing is also a good idea. Champions die fast in 8th, so don't overspend on them.

Bye
Thanee
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Agree with thanee. If anything, maybe armor of darkness on BG champ so that he could stay alive. Personally I think both champ and an item is a waste of points though (except maybe for RoH in a CoK-hydra banner bsbunit).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Luckstone talisman (Pierre de chance, en français) will help a few more BG to survive till making contact in melee.
The cost of the item is so low that the predictable death of the champ in melee is not going to be dramatic.
Alternatively, a null talisman will achieve the same, for more pts, against magic attacks.
Finally, a combo of both will help the unit against most distant attacks. In order to be protected versus BS-shooting as well, you just need a unit of 10 corsairs.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

it's so meaningless though...not often a 5+ AS isn't going to be modified to a 6+ or even to zilch, making the reroll for the champ redundant...
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah, the Luckstone is better handed to a Dreadknight, who can really live a bit longer thanks to the reroll. :)

Bye
Thanee
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

yea actually that's a pretty good choice

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

Potion of Foolhardiness is a good choice for CoK champion if it is not taken. With 3 attacks and hatred he can acctually kill enemy characters in a challenge. The item is so cheap that you can give him other items as well if you want to.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The Potion of Strength isn't an option, because our higher-costed equivalent overrides the standard Potion available in the rulebook, correct?
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dafedge
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dafedge »

Ever since I last played against the Vampire Counts, all my lists give at least one champion a low level magic weapon (Relic Sword is my favourite at the moment) just to deal with ethereal opponents so I don't have to get my general's hands dirty all the time.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Tethlis wrote:The Potion of Strength isn't an option, because our higher-costed equivalent overrides the standard Potion available in the rulebook, correct?
It has been harshly debated. No consensus there, although I fully concur with you, along with many D.netters.
=>Potion(s) of Strength?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

I like the iron curseicon, black guard tend to absorb a lot of firepower, having a 6+ ward against machine can help a little because they can be at best 20.... For a little 5pts

The other tricskter shard is good too, and you can make 10 attacks that will force re-roll ward. That unit can now give some problem to pheonix guard, deamon, and characters (but i prefer the other' shard on a manti/dragon lord)
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

I give my BG champion a Whip of agony. So far its done brilliantly, he hits as hard as a master and for a fraction of the points. With his initiative he strikes before nearly everything, and can quite competently get that underdog bonus from enemy characters, especially with a debuff on them. Never underestimate the usefulness of magic attacks either.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

ooooh al, I didn't think of that :D

why not Blood armour and minor weapon that causes an effect? You're using BG. Their main Eliteness is "Reroll hit and wound" so... poison something (we actually had a challenge recently to MAKE a playbalanced weapon, sorry. have it on the brain lol) and go lol! Additional attack? Bonus.

Seriously, when you can re-roll your hits twice in the first round and then re-roll wounding? The more attacks the better!
Oderint dum Metuant.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

I'm not a fan of putting too many CC magic items on BG champs because they die so easy in close combat. With only T3 and 1 W, the step up rule virtually guarantees that he will die. On a CoK champion though I don't mind kitting him out because he is much more resilient.

P.S. I would put stuff that protects from ranged attacks on the BG champ though like MR

My favorite setup right now for the CoK champ is The Other Trickster's Shard to force successful ward saves to be re-rolled, along with Luckstone, and Charmed Shield. Makes him very deadly ( he killed a WoC Tzeentch BSB in a challenge last game) and quite resilient for a champion as well with negating the first hit and re rolling an armor save. The Other Trickster's Shard really helps out though against any opponents with ward saves and reduces though pesky 4+ wards to a mere 25% chance of succeeding.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I think the best items for champions are items that allow them to enter challenges and stay alive, tying up a nasty enemy character, or at least that minimize potential overkill.

Black Guard Champion -- Armor of Darkness

Cold One Knight Champion -- Dawnstone
Truly These are the End Times ...
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I agree that Armor of Darkness is a great idea, when it can be spared from a character. Since most players expect champions to die easily, they will often allocate a number of attacks against the Champion, all of which might be wasted if the champ has a 1+ armor save...
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Thori
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Thori »

I think i'll go with Iron Curse Icon. 5 pts, if i make only one save with it, it's good !
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Their main Eliteness is "Reroll hit and wound"

Wait, they don't have this. They just re-roll to hit, the difference is that it's in every round of combat. Or have I totally misread something?

Seriously, when you can re-roll your hits twice in the first round and then re-roll wounding? The more attacks the better!

Again, you can't re-roll your rolls to wound for BG. And you can never re-roll a re-roll, so its only one re-roll if you miss when trying to hit in the first round, not two.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

No idea where he got it from, but they can only re-roll attacks (and only once per attack).

Bye
Thanee
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Maybe he's talking about heartpiercer? (whatever it's called, heart something)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Galadren
Slave on the Altar

Post by Galadren »

Edit: Nevermind
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Maybe he's talking about heartpiercer? (whatever it's called, heart something)

Could be, but that's more than 25 points IIRC. I'm guessing its more of a rules mixup, but we'll see.

Don't be a munchkin?