Attempting to not go all "Brave Sir Robin"

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Attempting to not go all "Brave Sir Robin"

Post by L1qw1d »

Sorry. I'm a Monty Python fan.

Ok. someone is being introduced to our little circle of players and he has... Ogres.

we played a Skirmish and he DESTROYED me with his bull rush and a Name he had (?).

How do we handle these guys?! the only thing I can think of is Magic and Crossbows and a LOT of feigned fleeing...
Oderint dum Metuant.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You're thinking right. Ogres weakness is relatively small numbers, almost non-existent armor and high points cost.

Their strengths on the other hand are high amount of attacks in a small frontage, bull rush, relentless magic (really easy to cast) and now with 8th edition, deadly support attacks (since they can do 3 each) and easier time to get rank bonus.

How do deal with that? Well, march blocking is out of the window really, so feigned fleeing to make them fail charges is a good option. Their Ld is average so they won't always get to redirect a charge.

While you're avoiding frontal confrontation, you need to weaken one flank with masses magic and shooting (quantity over quality against ogres, massed RxB fire and fire magic) and punch through.

Don't engage Ogres from the front, only from the side... and even then prepare for losses.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Witch elves. Lots of witch elves. Ogres are allergic to poisoned attacks, 3 of them with re-rolls just wipes out enough that you won't see strikes back. Static res is pointless, but stubborn is great. Leave the CoKs at home, they just die in large numbers in combat and are a good target for bonecruncher. That said any unit can be useful against ogres used in the right way.

AHW shades are another miracle, they can cause panic where you want by shooting his small units, and in combat they can be lethal too. I wouldn't spend too many points on magic as you will often find yourself dispelling his buffs in your magic phase.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Witch Elves are a good bet, but again, just don't charge (or get charged) ogres in the front... it's not healthy for us squishy elves.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Pit of Shades, and Purple sun are disastrous, I tests that don't just cause a wound, but cause you to lose the entire model. Bolt throwers are also great. Anything that can hit from range will be brutal to an ogre player. Avoid CC unless you can guarantee steadfast and set up combo charges.
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

his big boss (WAY too high for the Skirm) is supposed to be a hunter with sabercats. I've SEEN what those guys do lol

I can pull off combo charges with COK and possibly my BG. I try never to be predictable or rely on one round (eg: I loves my magic round, but will rarely approach the same way) or one spell overly much- the winds would INDEED be kind with those spells tho :)
Oderint dum Metuant.
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

how do the RBT do?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

rbt causes d3 wounds as a single bolt, but the str -2 as is enough to take out a few wounds, -2as is enough to negate any armor on an ogre. 1rbt using volley should kill 1 model a turn statistically speaking or near close to 1 model (3w)
Furgil
Warrior

Post by Furgil »

Flee when possible to force them to fail their charge, and wittle them down until there are too few to fight effectively in combat, Ogres are deadly against low armour and low toughness, I'd not make sure you use cheap models to fight them rather than elite units since they'll likely kill nearly equal numbers.

Alit eunits can be used, but make sure they have maxed out attacks or the Ogres will hit back hard killign way more points of your troops than you will of theirs. ASF on Execs and units of Black Guard shoudl bring their numbers down before they attack, assumign you thinned them out with shooting first.
- Aaron Chapman
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I always wanted to do a Holy Grail themed Bret army. This piece is absolutely brilliant!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Very cool, indeed! Love the chicken! :D

And the rest of your army is equally awesome. Amazing stuff! :)

Bye
Thanee
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

20 RXB 10x2 - 40 shots, 13.33 hits, 4.44 wounds, .74 saved (6+ if they went with ironfist/LA or have HA).

So each round of shooting drops another ogre, and once they're within short range, obviously it gets better. Though with M6 they might try charges from outside 12".

Worst case scenario, they got first turn, moved up to just outside 12", you fire dropping one, their turn they charge, you stand and shoot (this time I'd only single fire) and take out a couple more wound, if you get lucky kill another. Then in combat lay into them with 16 attacks rerolling hits.

16 attacks, 14.22 hits after rerolls, 4.74 wounds, they save 1.58. Roughly another dead one.

That's just if you focus one RXB unit at them, add in any form of support, and they will drop like flies.

Like, think of casting enfeebling foe ( I think that's the right one, the -D3 T one). T1 ogres all of a sudden become really easy to kill. :)

As said earlier also, dropping pit of shades/purple sun on their heads also work.

A unit of witch elves or corsairs (with SSS) with mindrazor on them also will tear through them. If they can buff themselves with magic, why can't we? :)
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

magic isn't realy reliable cause they have a 20 point banner(or item) that says any spell targeting the unit is bounced of on a 2+ to a nearby gnoblar unit. Both hexes and direct damage is targeting so the chance of getting one of is small. Purple sun is a vortex so it won't bounce off, but to get it you'll have to be lucky.
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Trust me, Greenbay- I love the buffs.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Also their miscast table can potentially wipe out their casters so triggering a miscast could be useful, also a feedback scroll would be kind of humorous on those buffs that he really wants and uses 3-4PD for.