extra spell- power of darkness

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Theclash24
Slave (off the Altar)

extra spell- power of darkness

Post by Theclash24 »

extra spell- power of darkness...

is this even worth casting in 8th ed? If you roll low it fails and magic phase over...I think if you roll a 1, 2, 3 on 1 die or combination of 2 dice it fails regaurdless of power level...which means you should roll 1 dice for the odds to be better than it wastes two dice in order to get d3+1...which only breaks even by 2 dice...???
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

If you 1-died it through 7th, you wasted half your attempts, and made it too easy for your opponent to rob you of your extra PD.

Think of it as a safe way, to rob your opponent of his DD :)
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

A natural 1 or 2 is a failure, not a 1, 2 or 3.

It's absolutely worth throwing 1 dice at! Don't do this at the start of your phase obviously, save it for the end. If you make it you will have 2-4 dice for another spell and if you fail well then nothing is lost but that 1 die.

That's one usage at least.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

At the end of the phase, throw your last dice at it...If you have 2 sorceresses, save 2 dice. It's a bullying spell. When you get a good magic phase, it makes it even better. On a poor magic phase, you are probably better off throwing all your dice at a single spell.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I cast on 2 dice. Very low chance of failure, so normally the worst that happens is it's a wash -- you get back the 2 dice you used. On the other hand, it can multiply those 2 dice to 4
Truly These are the End Times ...
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

I've had success with throwing one dice at it at the end of a phase. After my opponent got burned by that a little, I started casting it at the start on 2, causing him to throw dice at that leaving my real spells open. :)
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

you could also dagger it, my lvl 4 rolls a dice if its 1 or 2 she stabs a warrior to throw another one
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

or if you have big balls, throw one dice at it near the start of the phase. When some spells aren't that important to get off that round. But yea, i generally throw two dice at it when used near the start of the phase, rarely do i throw one die. It's a REAL bummer when you roll double 1's though...which I've done a fair few times :(
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

you could also dagger it, my lvl 4 rolls a dice if its 1 or 2 she stabs a warrior to throw another one

This is a good approach, but I'd suggest only rolling a second dice if you roll a 2.

If you roll a 1, just let it fail, as you've got a 1 in 6 chance on a second dice roll that you could roll another 1: still failing to cast the spell AND losing a model to boot. Not good :/
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Red... wrote:

This is a good approach, but I'd suggest only rolling a second dice if you roll a 2.

If you roll a 1, just let it fail, as you've got a 1 in 6 chance on a second dice roll that you could roll another 1: still failing to cast the spell AND losing a model to boot. Not good :/

Really? a 5/6 chance of continuing the magic phase and casting the spell over a 7 point model?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

depends on how dire it is for your mage to continue casting her magic that round. Usually you got to be deadset unlucky to score a second 1 on a cast, it's not unlikely, so the risk should be weighed by the necessity. I'd usually just go for it anyway in that scenario, another warrior dead wouldn't phase me ;)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Theclash24
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Theclash24 »

wow some good responses! I get how at the end of the phase it could beef you up to pop off another spell. I'll have to look at 8th rules again. But i'm using a lvl4 sorceress for my list, so 4 spells+ power of darkness spell. So I guess it would probably be...average of 2-3 spells and on the last one probably try for the power of darkness to boost the last spell at least d3+1 dice. Ok I get it....

sorry im a vampire counts player/empire player....so Im used to lots of powder weapons or fear...but since they nurfed fear I want to try dark elves now!
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

as if they nerfed fear...it's a headache needing to check it every turn now

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

I have played many games through and neither I nor my opponents remembered to check for fear. Terror they never forget though. Weird.

I guess I can't judge how effective it is, but it must be quite a biatch to have to test for it. Our army is less vulnerable than most others anyway though
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I wouldn't say they nerfed fear so much as made it reasonable. The whole 'autobreak if you have a lower unit strength and your opponent causes you fear' when you lose a combat rule was over the top.

The new rules make fear and terror more game friendly: no more landing my daemon prince within 6" of my empire opponent and watching as his entire army leap frogs off the board.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Minaras
Trainee Warrior

Post by Minaras »

flash29 wrote:you could also dagger it, my lvl 4 rolls a dice if its 1 or 2 she stabs a warrior to throw another one

This is how i use it most often
Hoooty-Hoot and all that jazz