Sorceresses & Magical Armour

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Sorceresses & Magical Armour

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

We all know how important Sorceresses are to a Druchii army, especially if you're partial to taking a Supreme Sorceress as your general. We also all know how squishy they can be. I've been looking around the forums for a little while (that isn't meant to sound as creepy as it does) and in all the lists I've seen I haven't seen any mention of using magical armour on them.

I'm contemplating a 2000 point list lead by a Supreme Sorceress and was considering giving her the Armour of Darkness for a 1+ AS, as well as the PoK for a ward save. This would hopefully help her to stick around a bit longer. Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

That is because the rules do not allow models to wear magical armour unless they are also allowed to wear mundane armour.

Since most Wizards (incl. our Sorceresses) do not have the option for wearing mundane armour, they are out of luck here.

Bye
Thanee
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Ah oki. Cheers :) Thought I'd missed that rule considering no one else had suggested it.

So what do people consider the best way to defend their magical girlies?
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

Pendant of Khaleth
"I am hatred, darkness and despair".
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

But is the PoK, which by my understanding fails to work with attacks S6 and above, really better than the Talisman of Preservation, a guaranteed 4+ WS, which is only 10 pts more?
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

*Consults army book*

It doesn't say anything about a S6 or higher negating the PoK. I think you mean that a natural result of 6 causes a fail.
Enemy magic is her biggest threat, and most spells will be S4 or higher, so generally the PoK is better and with a better points cost.
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

True, but if a natural 6 causes a fail, and you need a D6 roll equal to or under the attackers strength, then S6 would be impossible to pass. I think :/
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

No, the dice roll required is LESS than or equal to the enemy strength, therefore, if you roll between 1 and 5, then you're fine (assuming the enemy strength is 6).
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Ah I see. But then wouldn't you automatically pass a hit from S7, or struggle to pass an S1? Then again I guess that does go with the fluff of the item.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The main issue with PoK is that it doesn't give a ward against wounds caused by non-strength related events (e.g. you don't get a ward against wounds caused by spell miscasts). It's also considered 'cheesy' by some opponents. Personally, I prefer to take the BRB talismans of 4+ ward and 5+ ward rather than the PoK. If I'm going to take the PoK, it's usually as part of a master or dreadlord build :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

Well if it was S7, remember that a natural roll of a 6 always fails. Yes, 1 would be difficult, but most attacks against your sorceress will generally be S4 or higher, from spells and such
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Good point. Though you have well and truly convinced me of the PoK's usefulness, I think, points abiding, I'll follow red's example and stick to the TOP. Points permitting of course.

On a side note, and rather than starting another new thread, if a unit of COK has the SoHG, do the Cold One's also gain ASF?
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

I don't have my rulebook within reach, but I'm pretty sure that any special rules that apply to the rider, don't apply to the mount
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Thought so. Just the 'all models in the unit' description was somewhat confusing. I think I'll stick to the Gleaming Pennant anyway.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The Pendant of Khaeleth is borderline broken. That is about how good it is! ;)

It's ridiculously cheap for what it does. The only effective downside being attacks that have no Strength value.

As for the SoHG question... I havn't really looked it up, but I would assume, and that is also how most people seem to play it, judging from posts here, that it does, indeed, also apply to the Cold Ones.

The Cold One is part of the model after all.

If only the rider was always striking first, then it would not work, but since the whole model gains the special rule, it should work.

I prefer the Banner of Murder on them, though.

Bye
Thanee
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

Won't this resurrect the debate about Hatred "applying to the whole model"? 8-)
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

PoK was broken, but the new no strength or no save spells and the mutual exclusion of regeneration and wardsaves fixed it.

darigaaz, since the book clearly states mounts dont get special rules from the rider and riders dont get special rules from the mounts (with the noted exception of stupidity and the berzerk rage part of frenzy and fear, terror) that debate wont start.

saying soHG wont affect mounts would be like saying banner of elirium wont allow eleven steeds to ignore forests as terrain, but if the riders would dismount, they can do so at own movement.

The unit gains a benefit from a banner, and unit is mount and rider. If you have a banner that would give a cavalry unit frenzy or hatred or strider or armour piercing or flaming attacks or whatnot, it would be mount and rider for me (unless the banner exclusifly states its otherwise).
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yep it's as valk says.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Only thing with that is the Hydra Banner explicitly states that the extra attack includes the mounts. So if the HB does why wouldn't the SoHG? What Valkyre is saying makes complete sense, it's just this difference. Unless it's a typo of course.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

The reason for the clarification on the hydra banner is that the COB does NOT have an effect on mounts, so mounts would not get +1 attack, etc. The clarification is needed.
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

the hydra banner does NOT confer an ability (like, extra attack), it grants a bonus statistic (att + 1), under certain conditions, namely the turn they charge.

since cavalry have 2 att statistics, this clarification is in order (like the OnG banner of butchery gives + 1 att one time for the riders only (if mounted).

and the reason for the clarification is not the CoB, since the hydra banner had the same wording in the 6th edition, as had the OnG banner, Its just a (necessary) addition to the description.
Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Just on a more fluffly note our sorceresses prefer to be nearly naked, show off that skin right? Shorty's got horrible horrible sorceries at her command.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"