the new rending assassin

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Zenith
Noble

the new rending assassin

Post by Zenith »

He fellow druchii scumbags ;)

My question is, is the rending star assassin still good?

according to the new BRB he is, beacause he is a scout, he can now march en shoot as well.

according to the new FAQ he is less, beacause of the weird manbane/star rules.

I was also wondering, do we still find usefull targets for the 3 stars ? is he still viable?

Thanks guys
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Monsters are less common in the field due to their inability to deal with large block of infantry fast and in a decisive manner.

But there are still some of them around.

And Assassin with rending stars is better than 2 bolt throwers for 3/4th of the cost.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

And Assassin with rending stars is better than 2 bolt throwers for 3/4th of the cost.

It's difficult to compare them, because they have different roles: An assassin has 3 very likely to hit (2s nearly always) and decently powerful shots (S5 to 7, depending on the target) with a 12" range, whereas 2 bolt throwers can put out 12 reasonable likely to hit (3s or 4s usually) and quite powerful shots (S4 with AP) or 2 reasonable likely to hit (3s or 4s usually) and decrently powerful shots (S6 with no armour save) at a 48" range (24" for short range). The bolt throwers are less useful in combat, but can be deployed far further back. There's also two of them, whereas the assassin is a single model.

The only way to compare them really would be to pick a particular type of target and mathammer out the varying odds of doing damage. Even that would be skewed, because the bolt thrower can do the damage at a whopping 48", but while the assassin is limited to 12" he can do decent damage in combat too.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I think he is worth it! Actually this assassin build is proberbly the only one left that is worth it.

My regular opponents play O&Gs, Wood Elves and Lizardmen, and against those a rending star assassin would never lack for good targets:

- Treeman
- Treekin
- Waywatchers
- Trolls
- Chariots
- Stegadons
- Salamanders
- Terradons

With the new scouting rules scouts are powerful as ever. They are always in the right position and their ability to march and shoot means that the assassin will always be in range for his targets and the shades will be on short range hitting on 4s.

For my next battle I will deploy 12 shades + RS assassin. That is just devastating shooting. I include a level four fire sorceress and cast flaming blades of rhuin on them. That will just be DEVASTATING!

+1 to wound, magic attacks and flaming!

+1 to wound is huge, since it also enables one to shoot warmachines and monsters with regular S3 crossbow fire. That treeman never died faster...
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

He is very much worthwhile. In a decent unit of Shades, he is easily capable of bringing down monsters, tough solo models, enemy skirmishers/support units, shooters and warmachines in both shooting and combat. If there are no monsters, the Assassin and Shades can are great for shooting up an enemy Warmachine in Turn 1, then charging another in Turn 2.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

Have to agree with Tethlis, my manbane/rending assassin has had no problem with dealing with chariots/monsters/out of unit characters/warmachines/support units/sniping the odd 1 or 2 knights/ect.

Also, simply the occasional failed marchblock test has been useful, today for example, assassin+shades marchblocked chaos knights so that they couldn't get out of the way of 6 +1 attack blessed, frenzied (altar of khaine) cold one knights, with ASF + WoA on champ.

The chaos knights died before they realised they had been charged.

While unlikely, it'll still happen occasionally.
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

Most commone way to field asassin is star/manbane in a scout unit and it works like a charm. There is also the fighting asassin with rune of khain + manbane and crossbow that some favor, but I don`t like it. Those S7 stars is so important sometimes.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

jbtheslipperking wrote:Most commone way to field asassin is star/manbane in a scout unit and it works like a charm. There is also the fighting asassin with rune of khain + manbane and crossbow that some favor, but I don`t like it. Those S7 stars is so important sometimes.

Just don't forget that they are Str7 in your shooting phase and Str6 in a stand and shoot reaction!! (If you don't understand, that a look in the FAQ) :P
Last edited by A18no on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

a18no wrote:
jbtheslipperking wrote:Most commone way to field asassin is star/manbane in a scout unit and it works like a charm. There is also the fighting asassin with rune of khain + manbane and crossbow that some favor, but I don`t like it. Those S7 stars is so important sometimes.

Just don't forget that they are Str7 in your shooting phase and Str6 in a stand and shoot reaction!! (If you don't understand, that a look in the FAQ)

And when to think that a faq has to make things clear!