Death to Lustria!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Maudric
Slave on the Altar

Death to Lustria!

Post by Maudric »

I recently was in a 1000 pt game with a brand new player who plays Lizardmen. Everything was going quite well as the lizards marched through a hail of crossbow bolts. Skinks panicked, Saurus died, even the mighty Salamander lay pincusioned. Then the Oldblood entered the fray. Being something of a newer player myself I was wondering: "What is the most accepted Dark Elf method of dealing with high toughness targets?"
Mistakes were made, certainly as the large template for the Sorceress miscast lay half over my unit of spears I see that, but still, wounding on a 6 is crazy. In seventh I'd field Executioners but with step up I've seen them lose a great bit of their value. Suggestions? Comments? Prayers to Khaine? Thanks in advance guys.
Azlann
Warrior

Post by Azlann »

Well lizards are renown for their low initiative so hitting them with death or shadow magic is a good start. Metal lore works too as they have a silly amour save and metal by passes the roll to wound.

Poison like witch elves, assassins with killing blow or manbane, shooting (plough enough shots into it and it will fall). Beefing units up in combat with Okrams Mindrazor.

To be honest there are probably more ways as well.

If an opponent is running him without a unit to protect him if your clever you can beat him by combat res by throwing champions in challanges at him, or any character with a pendant will soak up his base strength 5 attacks. Our dread Lords can be tooled up to happily go play with one. Hope that helps.
VIOLENCE - If its not solving all your problems then you simply aren't using enough of it
Maudric
Slave on the Altar

Post by Maudric »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have had great success with shadow magic vs Dwarves who share Lizard's lower initiative. In the aforementioned battle with lizards my Sorceress had already nuked herself with an unfortunate miscast but great ideas, thanks.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

A Dreadlord with the Giant Blade will give you S7, over the course of two rounds of combat, you should be able to squash that monster. It still leaves you with 40pts to spend on protective gear too, which is plenty ;)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Meteor wrote:A Dreadlord with the Giant Blade will give you S7, over the course of two rounds of combat, you should be able to squash that monster. It still leaves you with 40pts to spend on protective gear too, which is plenty ;)

Or this guy :)

crimson death
HA and SDC
Dragonbane helm
PoK
Black Dragon Egg
"Luck is the residue of design"
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Purple sun of xerxes!!!!!
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Malekii wrote:Purple sun of xerxes!!!!!

Well, Oldbloods and Scar Veterans still have respectable Initiative. Sure, it's not amazing, but it's still a cut above the other Saurus, so that's something to be aware of.

Don't forget the Killing Blow buff from the Cauldron of Blood. The high Initiative on Elven troops, plus Hatred, gives them a great chance of quickly and efficiently dropping a Saurus Hero with Killing Blow. If you've got a multiple Attack unit like Black Guard, Corsairs or Witch Elves (not quite as effective since Poison Attacks tend to rob you of possible Killing Blow rolls, but still nice) then it's even easier to drop a Saurus Hero this way.

Of course, all this hinges on taking a Cauldron to begin with, but given how effective they are these days, there's no shortage of them in Dark Elf lists ;) .
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Assuming you don't assassinate him with death magic or an assassin, just challenge him with a character with the pendant. Unless he has the blade of realities, you basically take him out of the game. Even if you don't do a wound to him all game, he will struggle to do 2 wounds to you.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

also a word of warning about JUST using magic on him: Shield of Mirrored Pool. It bounces your magic right back at you, high I or no high I, it is a test or bunch of wounds you don't want to risk until you can figure out if he has one. Set them on fire with your hydra, hit them with COC Impact hits, throw a unit champ at him (esp w Crimson Death).

Trust me: get things that ignore armour and challenge his initiative.
Oderint dum Metuant.