When to use champions?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ozzkoz
Corsair

When to use champions?

Post by Ozzkoz »

When should one use a champion / which champions should I bother to take. I used to always take one since it typically was a cheap way to get an extra attack (still is). Now that a champion is much more likley to face attacks I'm not sure they are a good idea. I'm now seeing my WE champion with manbane to be allot points that will be dead after 1 round of combat and am only putting champions in units where I have a character I want to protect from challenges.

Are there any other times to use a champion?
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Champions must be specifically targeted, as in earlier editions. In your gaming group, do your opponents normally allocate attacks specifically at your champions or not? If, as a general rule, they ignore the champion, then I think it's still a good idea in order to get in that extra attack. A champion is less expensive than an additional model. If they do, then really you only need a champion in any unit you think it might be beneficial (receiving challenges, extra BS, etc.). It depends on your group's game-style.

Now, depending on the unit, some champions have the ability to carry magic items. Bestowing a magic item that either helps them do their job or sees them safely into close combat may also be a good reason to include a champion.

If you want to be a sneaky druchii and send one of your lieutenants to their doom (because you've discovered they're plotting against you, sleeping with your slaves, etc.), any attacks directed at the unit champion isn't going to a rank and file model. If your opponent targets 4 attacks on your champion and 3 would do wounds, that's two rank and file troopers you've just saved.

Just some food for thought.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Also a good way to deal with challenges. You can have a champ accept a challenge while keeping your other characters in the main fight. Alternatively, you can pull an enemy character out of the fight by challenging with your champ. So when that enemy lord on a dragon charges in, let the champ take it on the chin and leave the rest of the unit in tact with full static combat resolution.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

It also depends on the fragility of the model, and how powerful their extra attack will be. Cold One Knights have a 2+ armor save, and can be given items to reroll that if they get a champion. In addition, one extra S6 attack is a lot.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Champs are useful for any unit that will be housing one of your characters. The ability for champions to protect your unit or character from a powerful enemy character is very valuable. Just yesterday, an Assassin/Shades charge my unit of Spearmen with Level 4 Sorc. Issuing a challenge with my Spear champ prevented the Assassin from targeting the Sorc, and although the Champ died in the challenge, it was a very small price to pay for keeping my character safe.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I tend to take a champ for several reasons, some of which have already been covered :)

1 - fluff. I like the idea of units led by a champ, it doesn't cost a huge amount and feels nicer, less forced for power gaming.
2 - it's useful versus hard hitting powerful characters, particularly if your unit is aiming to be a tar pit rather than a hammer (e.g. taking all 27 attacks from a chumped up chaos khorne general on juggernaught on your champ allows your unit of 40 warriors to stay stalwart for longer)
3 - If you have it in a unit with a powerful fighting character, you can use your champ to accept challenges that attempt to stall you in the same way as reason #2
4 - If you have a vulnerable character, e.g. a mage, the champ can accept a challenge to avoid the vulnerable character from getting shut down
5 - in some cases it provides a medium for carrying useful magic items or gifts of khaine. 3 WS5 S6 Warrior elite attacks on a black guard champ with crimson death really adds a lot to a unit of otherwise S4 models. Witchbrew is particularly decent here, because even if your champ gets killed, the unit still benefits from the brew.
6 - While your opponent can allocate attacks against a unit champ, he/she has to decide how many to allocate and that means that he/she may either allocate too few and not end up killing the champ, or allocate too many and end up wasting attacks that could be otherwise used to chew through rank and file. In addition, with I5 or I6 on most of our units, your champ will usually get to strike first in combat, allowing them to at least deliver their extra attack for one round of combat, which is nice :)
7 - Versatility for not many points. Your unit champ can allow you the flexibility to do any of the above, for not many points at all (6 to 14 points is not that much really). If you don't take one and you suddenly find yourself in a situation where it would have been useful (tackling that chaos lord, for example), you may find yourself cursing that decision to skimp on a few extra points when building that unit.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The ability for most champs to take magic items really allows a tremendous amount of variety, making units better at performing specific tasks or (as Red... said) increasing their effectiveness in combat. Especially given that a Black Guard or Cold One Knight champion have killing power that rivals that of other race's combat Heroes, a bit of wargear to keep them alive, increase their hitting power, or letting them help their unit can make a strong difference.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.