asf banner

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Blondshade
Executioner

asf banner

Post by Blondshade »

hey guy. is it worth taking the asf banner on the black guard?

this is because they get a reroll of hatred, then again for eternal hatred warrior elite(good rule for these guys, i love them) and asf?

the halberds do work on everything.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You get to reroll a die only once, so you won't get to reroll twice because of warrior elite and then asf... just once.

But giving them ASF banner removes ASF of enemy troops (say, whole high elf army).
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

well yeah i think it compliments their max unit size well. if you could put say thirty i wouldn't see the use, because if both have ASF you strike at the same time not following I. be that as it may, BG lose models easily (T3 5+AS) so you'll start losing attacks fast. striking at the same time can really help a combat. But against most army's it isn't really needed.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

the only time I could see it being used on Black Guard is against HE, I'd rather put it on cold ones.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

um. they generally go first, and they always reroll misses anyways. isnt it kinda pointless on BG?

i guess situationally it could be good, but for the most part i dont take it anymore considering my troops tend to be faster than my opponents.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

As said, if you know you're facing a HE army, it's not a bad place on your BG. For everything else, I would pop it on a unit of COK's.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

hey guy. is it worth taking the asf banner on the black guard?

this is because they get a reroll of hatred, then again for eternal hatred warrior elite(good rule for these guys, i love them) and asf?

I think that you're suggesting that black guard get three re-rolls:
- Re-roll for hatred
- Re-roll for warrior elite
- Re-roll for asf

As Dalamar mentions, you only get one re-roll per roll, so not only does the asf banner not give them an additional re-roll, but eternal hatred doesn't give them an extra re-roll in the first round of combat either. It's a single re-roll maximum.

As stated, this would only ever really be a useful banner against HE. For everyone else you'd be much better off taking a banner such as banner of murder or razor banner.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I definitely think the Banner of Hag Graef is too situation to be of much use here. Yes, good against High Elves, but wasted against virtually everyone else. I would rather have Banner of Murder or Banner of the Eternal Flame, and have used both to good effect in 8th edition so far. Banner of Murder lets those Black Guard threaten virtually anyone, especially if you're using Lore of Shadow to make the enemy easier to kill by dropping their WS or Toughness. Eternal Flame is a great surprise against those Varghulfs, Hell Pit Abominations, Hydras, Nurgle Daemons, Treekin, or building-entrenched opponents you sometimes run into.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

also HG is HILARIOUS to put on COK (size 12). Had someone think I was taking Cold Blood, and came in for a BIG surprise lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I love Hag Graef on Cold One Knights. Re-rolls every turn against virtually everything, including the Dreadlord I run in the unit, is just golden. Watching the Cold One mounts themselves re-roll against plenty of armies is particularly gratifying.

Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

If you put a DL with ex axe in the BG unit it will be crucial, but ofc that is horrible use of a DL.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Watching the Cold One mounts themselves re-roll against plenty of armies is particularly gratifying.

If they have BoHG the mounts get to Re-roll, because of ASF, but only in the first round of combat. but .the riders get to re- roll every round due to eternal hatred?

No banner means only riders re-roll?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Dirty Mac wrote:
Watching the Cold One mounts themselves re-roll against plenty of armies is particularly gratifying.

If they have BoHG the mounts get to Re-roll, because of ASF, but only in the first round of combat. but .the riders get to re- roll every round due to eternal hatred?

No banner means only riders re-roll?

Err as long as the Cold Ones have equal or higher initiative they get to reroll..You'll be surprised that against Lizardmen, Dwarves and what nots your Cold Ones do get ASF re-rolls. Hit a High Initiative unit with Miasma and even the dinos get those potshots.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

I mean that normally the mounts don't get to re-roll, for hatred because they FAQ'ed it.
But if they were given the ASF Banner then the mounts can re roll, but only for the first round of combat. that was the question.
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

if mounts have higher initiative they can always reroll with ASF. if they have less initiative they can never reroll.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

it could be argued that cold ones do get hatred re-rolls, it states in the rules for eternal hatred that hatred also applies to mounts whilst the riders are still alive this may not still apply as that piece of text was referencing the old hatred rule, but it could be argued that the army-book overrules the rulebook. How do you all think that should be interpreted, do cold ones have hatred or not, because the army-book says they do referencing 7th Ed. hatred, but 8th Ed. says they don't.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Malus99 wrote:it could be argued that cold ones do get hatred re-rolls, it states in the rules for eternal hatred that hatred also applies to mounts whilst the riders are still alive this may not still apply as that piece of text was referencing the old hatred rule, but it could be argued that the army-book overrules the rulebook. How do you all think that should be interpreted, do cold ones have hatred or not, because the army-book says they do referencing 7th Ed. hatred, but 8th Ed. says they don't.

Because it was FAQ'd, they don't.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Masked Jackal wrote:
Malus99 wrote:it could be argued that cold ones do get hatred re-rolls, it states in the rules for eternal hatred that hatred also applies to mounts whilst the riders are still alive this may not still apply as that piece of text was referencing the old hatred rule, but it could be argued that the army-book overrules the rulebook. How do you all think that should be interpreted, do cold ones have hatred or not, because the army-book says they do referencing 7th Ed. hatred, but 8th Ed. says they don't.

Because it was FAQ'd, they don't.

oh, damn. Thanks
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Beyond that, you should never argue for things, you very well know, go against the general principles in the rules. These arguments drain the game of fun, and its much more gratifying to win from actual tactics instead of some random rules loophole :)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The Virgin Forest: Well, that does rather depend on your perspective on the issue of literal rules as written (RAW) and rules as interpreted (RAI) and the arguments for and against would need to be discussed in a whole other thread (which has been done before, and probably will again - see if you can find the old Empire 'swan of war' debate for an exemplary example of the arguments on both side) This thread probably isn't the place for it.

(edited for poor spelling and grammar)
Last edited by Red... on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

The Virgin Forest wrote:Beyond that, you should never argue for things, you very well know, go against the general principles in the rules. These arguments drain the game of fun, and its much more gratifying to win from actual tactics instead of some random rules loophole :)

I'm not trying to exploit the rules, I just like angry cold ones :lol:
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Malus99 wrote:I'm not trying to exploit the rules, I just like angry cold ones :lol:

Agreed. Hatred on Cold Ones actually made the mounts seem to fit the fluff too, as being something that's actually capable of killing something, rather than juts sort of stumbling around, biting people with rubber teeth and being too inept to use its jaws and claws to actually injure something (i.e. their current rules.)

I'm not complaining about Cold One Knights as a unit, but the lizards themselves are pretty lackluster without Hatred. Banner of Hag Graef helps to bring some of that back.

Iff
Trainee Warrior

Post by Iff »

I'm actually fine with them not benefiting from the Hatred rule. The way I see it, they're just animals, and stupid ones to boot. Why would they hate anything/everything?

Compared to an empire warhorse, they have a lower I but S4 is nice for showing how they can tear a hole in someone. WS3 also seems reasonable for an animal. Compared to a standard trooper (with 3's for all stats), they look pretty mean and tough. That's enough for me, I guess.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Iff wrote:I'm actually fine with them not benefiting from the Hatred rule. The way I see it, they're just animals, and stupid ones to boot. Why would they hate anything/everything?

Compared to an empire warhorse, they have a lower I but S4 is nice for showing how they can tear a hole in someone. WS3 also seems reasonable for an animal. Compared to a standard trooper (with 3's for all stats), they look pretty mean and tough. That's enough for me, I guess.

It's not really in-line with how powerful they are in fluff, however. Cold Ones have the potential to be just as devastating as their riders, sometimes, and Hatred is a good way of representing them nomming on the enemy unit.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Darklady
Corsair

Post by Darklady »

I love the BoHG on my COKs. It saved my bacon in my fight with Empire and Miasma allowed my Cold ones to get rerolls as well. Big suprise for the silly humies.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~Seneca