Back on board: DL on dragon

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Babnik
Black Guard

Back on board: DL on dragon

Post by Babnik »

Hi druchii fellows,

I have finally decided to bring back a dragon on 8th ed tourney with following combo:
DL, black dragon, full mundane armour, pair of handbow
Sword of might
Black dragon egg
POK
Dragon helm
Basically, he's unkillable and can easily tar pit any large unit untill support unit is in contact (24 execs or 12 BG).

Is there any other magical items combo you would recommend?

Txs
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

Considering he is unkillable, I'd skip SoM and rather take Soulrender. Other then that what items you want is up to you, and what role you want your DL to have. I guess this DL wont singlecharge any big block since he dont have Crown of Command.

Good luck, tell us how he worked!

By the way, do your comp have any special line of sight rules that may increase your poor dragons odds of surviving those few first rounds?
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Welcome back on board!

NOTHING is unkillable ;)

I recommend the Crown of Command or Other Tricksters Shard
Oderint dum Metuant.
Senluthan
Beastmaster

Post by Senluthan »

is crown of command necessary? i want to field a DL on dragon ones i come back to DK and start gaming again.. and was thinking that he should be able to make way more wounds than (3 ranks + banner + 1 wound? total of 5)... if you just use Dragons breath in 2nd round of combat, the first one you win with all the new charge rules.. and then you win the second from breath attack.. and if you can see already in the first attack that you won't break these then you have 2 rounds to set up a nice flank charge? just my thought...

And i would go with WoA as weapon..
Senluthan Redskull
Group 36 Mod
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

I very much suggest the other tricksters shard, I can not stress how gross that item is for its cost. You can mince up so many lord choices by forcing a reroll, specially when your ST6.

To the above post, do not hold back on your breath attack, use is as soon as your out of a challenge, and also use black dragon egg breath as well as soon as your out of a challenge. You want maximum damage output.

Break the slave races will to fight with speed, the more time they have to stand the more time they have to rally there wits and think they can strike us down. Show them the error of that line of thought.

Air Cav all the way!!!!!!
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

It is either the dragon egg or the crown of command. I think first option is more usefull as my DL + Dragon has something like 4A S5 + 5A + D6 S6.
They will not loose the close combat.

Hower the other tricksters shard is good but it would take a slot for another magic item.

Can't wait to see our beloved dragon back on board!
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

You would be surprised at how easy it is for things to go poorly for a Dragon Dreadlord, especially in drawn-out combats (which you're likely to phase.)

If you have a bad round of combat, where your Dreadlord's Hatred is gone, your Dragon rolls poorly and you have a bad Thunderstomp roll (or none at all) there's a chance you can be broken. Stranger things have happened, and the Dragon is a lot less reliable in 8th edition since GW took our mount's Hatred away.

I ran a Lord with Crimson Death, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armor of Darkness for a while, then switched to Crimson Death, Pendant, Crown of Command. I've been very pleased.

I definitely advocate both Strength 6 + a weapon that strikes in Initiative Order. Yes, the Lord might be unkillable, but it's never the Lord that you're worried about killing; it's the Dragon who opponents will be trying to take down. Being able to have the Dreadlord swing with high Initiative and potentially finish off an opponent, whether it's an enemy Hero, monster you're fighting, support rank in a heavy cavalry unit, it's all worth it. Even with supporting attacks, I'm surprised at how often the high Initiative of my Dreadlord helps to spare the dragon from attacks.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Crown of command is indeed a great option. But it takes the dragon egg slot...
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Dragon Egg = one use only, Crown of Command = useful in every round AND ensures the best defence against the Dragon Lords biggest weakness: losing combat and fleeing...
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Dangerous Beans wrote:the Dragon Lords biggest weakness: losing combat and fleeing...

I'm not sure that's the BIGGEST weakness... I would claim that vulnerability to warmachines is a bigger one. However, there isn't much you can do wargear-wise to protect the dragon from such things, so it doesn't really impact the choice between the Crown and the Egg. That being said, I do agree with your point that the Crown is a superior choice for a Dragon Lord :D .
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Hehehe!! yeah I got a little carried away there (whats new! :oops:).
Very much agree that warmachines are a killer and magic can be too if the right spells are taken!
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Crown of Command: to tarpit a large unit
Dragon egg: supporting our main unit in close combat by flanking and removing ranks thanks to double breath attacks.
Different item for different use. But I agree, Crown of COmmand is a better deal.

Regarding warmachine, I have seen cheezy dwarf and empire armies wiping out everything in 8th ed tourneys. At least, the dragon can be in combat at round 2...
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

has anyone tried a lv 4 sorceress on a black dragon yet?

If so what setup?
Br13
Trainee Warrior

Post by Br13 »

Well, against normal warmachines it is only the Dragon which is in danger (that is why a pegasus might be technically better, but a dragon is still way cooler). PoK will save the Dreadlord. The only problem might be things like organ guns or hellblasters. I don't remember where I calculated the average chance to wound our character by such a machine (3 variants: naked PoK, cloak of HG + dawnstone and PoK + cloak of HG), but it's still not above a 10-15% chance that he will be wounded with at least a PoK. That *is* a great deal considering every other race has no 2+ ward against machines.

The other thing that easily takes out armored characters is lore of metal, but the dragonhelm is there for that purpose.

What is left is lore of death, which I wouldn't be too worried about either. We should on average be able to dispel 2 of their spells at least.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

The sorceress alternative is interesting as you can make her almost unkillable, yet S3-4 attacks can be deadly.
I'm not sure it is viable for above reasons. HG cloak is an armour and not available for our supreme sorceress unfortunately...
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

My main consurn for a lvl4 on a BD is of course the mistcasts, it will take a wound of the Dragon each time (okay, almost), but a Dragonflying Sorcesress with Death magic for sniping and reduce lds would be awsome. And you could also give her either CD or WoH.

On topic:

I have been using a DL on a DP alot lately and i have to say that TOTS have given me alot more resaults than the Crown. But that is mainly against Deamons and characters. He only fled ones, and that was against a huge block of dwarfs with an unkillable lord and bsb and i rolled 11 anyways...
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Tethlis said; I ran a Lord with Crimson Death, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armor of Darkness for a while, then switched to Crimson Death, Pendant, Crown of Command. I've been very pleased.

As far as the second build, how about adding the charmed shield along with the mundane Heavy & Seadragon cloak. It's only one use but you have the points to add it to this build. And after that it is still a shield.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yea you really should take a Crown of Command because you do have everything you need, but stubborn.

Without it, you're more restricted in what you can charge and you actually require support from another source to ensure you don't lose out to SCR. The most classical scenario I've seen played, and I, myself employ against other lone dragonlords is the following.

He charges into my unit, I challenge with a champion. Either he fails to generate enough overkill points to win against my SCR, or he does and I test on steadfast Ld. If neither of us budges, in comes my turn, I now will flank him with another unit containing a champion, challenge again. I now have SCR from charging, flanking AND standard, I'm on +3 without counting ranks. Our dreadlord for example, has 4 attacks base, he's going to struggle getting +4 ACR from overkilling without rerolls for hatred now. Etc.

If you had a stubborn hat on the other hand. It won't matter how many champions challenge you before you slaughter the actual units. It won't matter how badly positioned you are in a combat, you won't care about losing out to SCR this way. Without it, your dragonlord still can act as a tarpit (bit of a waste though), but will have to watch out for the aforementioned scenario and many other tricks.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued