Witches for monster hunters, take care of scarry stuff

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Etancross
Warrior

Witches for monster hunters, take care of scarry stuff

Post by Etancross »

Well ive decided i want to run witches in my army, ive been a bit worried about it as i know they will do well vs hoard armies but what about armies like WOC or if they got caught in a vamp bunker?

I got in a practice game where i was experimenting with them and some other things in the army that i dont use much (crone, witches, COB) vs a buddy who plays skaven with a NASTY 2k shooting list a screaming bell and an abomination.

Well right away i decided im going to put the WE's baby sat by the 2 hyrdas (with flamebanner) vs the abomination and i have to say i was pretty surprised by what happened... They went through that Abom like s*** though a goose!

It was nuts, after that combat in my mind i tried to imagine what it would be like to see and orgy of violence like that happen!

Im looking forward to using them, i know i can't put too much stock in them because they have no armor and can get shot to pieces, and at str 3 they have a ton of attacks that are poisoned so that means i can throw them at anything right? They can even wound a steam tank with poison attacks.

I give them the flame banner because that means they can stop regen.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

you can wound a steam tank with 6's to wound as it is hit automaticaly, so no chance to roll poison.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I find a sorceress with Shadow magic invaluable for working with Corsairs and Witches. Give either the Mindrazor and... spaghetti sauce! :lol:
Toonces
Warrior

Post by Toonces »

I took 1st place in the Hard Boyz tournaments with a Hellebron witch cult army. Witches work very, very well. Partly because people don't know how to properly quantify the harm they can inflict.

Hydra support is essential as there will be times when you use them simply to march up and breath fire on shooters plinking off your witches. It also helps that they're undercosted evil.

I had a lot of success backing my witches with...
* Pendant & Dragonhelm Master on Pegasus to hunt warmachines
* Shadow Sorceress aiming for Enfeeble, Withering, and Occam's Mindrazor
* Metal Sorceress for guaranteed Searing Doom - Witches can burn through anything but using them to kill Chaos Knights is akin to spending your paycheck on slot machines to buy groceries. Searing Doom will sink Steam Tanks, Hydras, Knights, etc.
* Consider putting the Banner of Swiftness on your BSB Cauldron to help it keep up with the Witches. I've had my Cauldron out of reach by an inch at least once per battle.
* If you're feeling cagey, you can run a unit of 5 harpes in front of the Witches and let your opponent charge through them into the Witches. Even good players fall for the thrill of blasting through units and playing stepping stones of murder. This puts the first round of combat on your turn, where you set the Cauldron blessing and you set the tempo with Shadow Magic. Obviously, not as good of an idea when facing an enemy with impact hits...
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Hi there,

If you want to field WEs, I'd go for the Banner of Murder. Flamming attacks are OK to deal with Hydras/HPA, but the AP attacks will help you to deal with heavily armoured troops. AP WEs backed up by CoB in a frontage of 7 models can kill an average 12 Warriors of Chaos per turn, which is most usually unexpected...

Also, in order to deal with regen monsters you can use some naked CoKs with flamming attacks that will, if granted +1A by the CoB, take on those regen monsters.

Also, remember that experienced players won't send their Hydras into your WEs, they will just march and flame them all. HPAs will just try to dodge the WEs and the great amount of support units Skaven have will help them to do so (taking advantage of the Frenzy to drive them far from the HPA). So, overall I don't see the WEs as a good regen monster killing unit.

Their nice to take on monster anyways, as long as they have little to no saves. AP will help a lot against infantries and 2+AS cavalries and with Manbane you can smash monsters with good AS. Leave the regen ones to magic/PoK/CoKs w/ BoEF.

My oppinion ofc.
Etancross
Warrior

Post by Etancross »

What kind of list is a witch cult list? I think I like the sound of that and would like to give it a shot.
Cambell
Slave on the Altar

Post by Cambell »

I was skeptical of Witch Elves as well too be honest. I found that with no armour save they weren't solid enough; or so I thought. I took a small unit (ten in all) and still threw out a ton of attacks, one base attack, one for additional hand weapon and one for frenzy. Running them in sixs in the front rank, meant 19 attacks (1+ for Hag).

Economic indeed! I'm still working them out though, but they are a good support unit for a flank charge if the opportunity presents itself.
Flank and shoot. These two proverbs are all you need too know.