10 xbows
20 xbows
30 speamen
5 harpies
15 black guard
9 Cold on knights w/ flaming banner
Hydra
@ 2000p

The master is useful for shutting down any slow moving lv.4s like slann or any non-flying wizards, and perform general troubleshooting

while the cauldron of blood gives the army the all-important khaine's blessings, the very powerful buffs that boost my troops

Basically, how eesential is the cauldron at 2000p?
Master or cauldron?
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

I really like the COB. That blessing is extremely handy to have. In terms of your list I would take the cauldron as the plus 1 attack on a crucial charge from you're COK can be game changing.
cheers,
-Ave
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

If i make an fast army for fun il take the flying bsb, but in every other list i have, i use CoB bsb.
Last edited by Kaleth stinson on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

A perently, the CoB, i still one infantry model, so some one suggested casting steed of shadows on it to make it move.
Also known as Kanadian
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

too bad a Hag cant take magic items......a Cauldron on a flying carpet would be really cool! :shock:
Huntaro
Slave on the Altar

Post by Huntaro »

KillerK wrote:A perently, the CoB, i still one infantry model, so some one suggested casting steed of shadows on it to make it move.

The Cauldron counts as a warmachine I'm afraid. Would of been fun though
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I knew something was wrong, but sinc I don't use the darn thing I'm not familiar with the rules that much.
Also known as Kanadian
Mikumiku
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mikumiku »

I tried the BSB on the cauldron and it worked fine, but haven't tried the flying one. If you have big blocks of infantry or expensive units the CoB will work better I think.

Bye!
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Spear, black guard, cold one will all benefit from a cauldron. In 8th, it's a must have in all my list.

Just be carefull with shadow mage, Pendulum (with good roll) and pit of shade(with a hit on the scatter dice) can destroy your cauldron very fast!
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

I would use the COB as the bsb and plant if smack center of all your units. I've had it repel attacks from every war machine. Not to mention its not that expensive considering you can bless units. Its friggen T10 with a 4+ward. Not much is going to hurt it. On top of that if you have someone who wants to direct damage it... good luck 3+ward. Like said, watch out for I test spells and crap like that.

Take the master as well and give him a high strength weapon with a nice ward or regen save and put him on the peggy and have him character/war machine hunt. ROH is just outright nasty sometimes, most of the time.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

DutchOven, 10 skink at close range ;).
Also known as Kanadian
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

if you let 10 skins get in close range of your cauldron your fail
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

skinks*
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

I take a flying Bsb and a Cob twice the fun plus they have to split thier firepower three ways (general, Bsb, Cob)
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Malekii wrote:I take a flying Bsb and a Cob twice the fun plus they have to split thier firepower three ways (general, Bsb, Cob)

I use only 2 character, a lvl 4 mage in a warriors unit with +1 ld banner, and a CoB BSB.

Very low in cost, and let me take MANY models on the board (more than 130)
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I use only 2 character, a lvl 4 mage in a warriors unit with +1 ld banner, and a CoB BSB.

Very low in cost, and let me take MANY models on the board (more than 130)

Same here, although I'm now experimenting with a Pegasus Master as well. :) A) It's faster to build and B) I have no other magical attacks in the army at all, meaning Vampire Counts with some ethereals would roll me over.
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

A BSB most prominent role is to stop you from losing too much, when you lose.

10 CoKs with a dreadlord really shouldn't lose. Black Guards are already stubborn. You have no Khainites to benefit from becoming stubborn.

I'd reconsider even using a BSB - especially one that can so easily be singled out and have no noteworthy defense.

Extra troops or some extra spells/magic diversity would benefit you a lot more IMO.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I disagree. :)

In 8:th edition I consider the BSB the best 25 pts upgrade in the game as it allows you rerolls for Stupidity, Panic, Frenzy, Quick Reforms, and whatever.
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

BSB is well worth the 25 pts, even if you dont give him a magical banner you can kit him up to be brutal or survivable. I ran a 3k pt game sunday with my bsb on a cold one HA, shield, lance, SDC, he had a 1+ with the hydra banner. The blessing from COB gave me like 18 S6 attacks on the charge, needless to say his unit survived and decimated a group of great swords. COB got charged by the steam tank got charged the same round as my COK charged the great swords. The COB survived... 2 witches dead Death Hag survived only to die the next round. COK charged the steam tank down to like 15 attacks now with no COB blessing and I put a few wounds on the tank. My group of 5 remaining BG (with ASF banner) with DL carrying executioner axe(he was naked except for the axe, he was my monster/tank killer) finished off the steam tank. The DL wounded with all 4 S10 hits and 0AS for the tank and it blew up D3 wounds each. Tabled him in 3 turns, destroyed in 4.
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Setomidor wrote:I disagree. :)

In 8:th edition I consider the BSB the best 25 pts upgrade in the game as it allows you rerolls for Stupidity, Panic, Frenzy, Quick Reforms, and whatever.

It may be just a 25 pt. upgrade, but its an upgrade that isn't available unless you get fighter/hag, and then you'll quickly end up paying 200 points for that 'upgrade'. - don't know about you, but I can get a fully functional unit that can cause a whole lot of havoc for 200 points ;)

-

Sure, if I'm already getting a hero - like a CoB - I don't think twice about 'upgrading' it, but I never start out with the notion that I need a BSB :)
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

well,

i like the cob BSB to fly with steed of shadows indeed.

a warmachine is 1 model (crew is woundmarkers only) and a deathhag is a char, so its a fine target for steed of shadows (does not need to be an infantry anymore, just a character model).

I also like to fly it smack in the middle to hold stuff up, since its a warmachine, only 6 models may attack it, vs Ws 6 and a 4+ wardsave, it holds out a lot till you can charge in in your turn (and disallow for warmachine attacking parties, while still getting loads of attacks from it yourself.

that said, i am experimenting iwth manticore mounted BSB's, those work fine as well (18" is a lot of space), in general either the master or the manticore survives, denying VP's
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

really now? so the whole cob teleports to the sorceresses place when she uses the steed of shadows?
Kadahn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kadahn »

I play using a Pegasus master and used a Cauldron BSB for the first time the other night. Alas, the scenario was Dawn Attack, and my Cauldron ended up almost alone out on one flank. Thankfully I was able to protect it, but it did involve some crafty maneuvering to bring it and the other units to a point where they could support each other.

I've been tempted to give my Master the BSB instead, as his speed will help to bring the Standard to wherever it is needed most. However, it means it would change the way I use him. His current main role is to hunt down warmachines, small isolated units or scare wizards with his Ring of Hotek. I'd lose this versatility if he was the BSB as I'd need him close to my battleline to benefit.