Is an assassin worth it?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blaznak
Beastmaster

Is an assassin worth it?

Post by Blaznak »

Just curious what you think. What about the upgrade character?
This is for a 3000 point 'ard Boyz list.

My experience with the assassin is: It shows up. It dies.

Thank you in advance,

~B~
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Assassins do die quickly, the trick is to make sure they do their damage before that happens. Switching places with a sorceress who has just cast a spell from the lore of shadow can be very fun.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I think Assassins are mostly good with the Rending Stars in 8th, going with Shades.

Pure melee Assassins are too unreliable (as in, they need to find a combat, where they actually can do enough damage to be worth it) and too costly.

Bye
Thanee
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

only if used properly
Oderint dum Metuant.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

In my current heavy core infantry list at 2500pts, I use two Assassins with Manbane and +D3 attacks. I find their ability to burst a lot of ACR out in one round to be a great asset in tipping the fight to our favour. He makes a great character killer at S6, or a possible monster killer for that matter, like dragons if you're lucky enough.

I have two 15man spear elves that has a sorc in each. My assassins hide in each one, most opponents are caught off guard by that as they slam chariots into my side etc. Because they'd expect them to be in the frenzy corsairs or crossbows.

However, it is absolutely correct that they do die in combat. So if you do use melee assassins, you need to look at all the circumstances. I've found that opponents tend to be hesitant in charging once the assassins are revealed. They are viable and useful, it just takes practice to use them at the right times and for the right circumstances. They're like a mini chariot but with 'impact hits' every time ;)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Meteor wrote:They're like a mini chariot but with 'impact hits' every time ;)

Heh. And made out of paper! :D

Bye
Thanee
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

LOL.

@Meteor: do you find your assassins dying from impact hits before they can attack?
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Thank you for the input.

i looked at Shadowbane but its hard to justify 300 points. That's 10% of my army on a single trick I can't 100% control. Its a POWERFUL trick, but, wow.

For 100 points.... I guess I will go back and re-read the rending stars issue.

So, what tricks do you have for using the assassin? I mean, for the same cost, I could throw in one more level 1 sorceress and possibly get more in returns.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

i still have mixed feeling about Assassin in 8th.

i used him in a 5 games tournament about a month ago. He did nicely, but only when the unit had Mindrazor (which happens often), but at that point, anything would have done the job.

i used him a few game since, managing to do 4 wounds on an Engine of god (and finishing him with the rest of the unit, saving myself thunderstomp). It's a nice asset to have, but for the cost, you can get better out of WE or BG.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I think the best way to use them, is to place the model next to the table, when you have none in your list. :lol:

@Greenwhy: I don't think impact hits can hit the assassin (unless the unit, he is hiding in, is very small).

Bye
Thanee
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

OK. The other day in GW the staff randomised between the models in contact. I thought it was stupid at the time. Maybe if there was more than 1 character involved.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Greenwhy wrote:LOL.

@Meteor: do you find your assassins dying from impact hits before they can attack?

Not when they're in a unit. Impact hits are distributed like a shooting attack, so it can't target the Assassin the unit. Unless the unit size is less than 5, in which case, it stops being a rank and starts to become randomised as per the BRB.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Greenwhy wrote:OK. The other day in GW the staff randomised between the models in contact. I thought it was stupid at the time. Maybe if there was more than 1 character involved.

That's why when you use his one trick, make sure its a war machine crew.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

In a nutshell no an assassin is not worth it. In theory what you can do is hide one in a unit you will want in big nasty combats. Then you wait till all the challenge monkeys have been killed (unit champ, heros what not) once that is done you revel your 160 some odd point glass cannon and have him kill the general. Then next turn if still stuck in combat he dies. The problem with them is you can not kill your way out of combat unless the unit your facing is just tiny.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Don't forget their ability to hunt warmachines if the need arises. Not the most efficient war machine hunter though.
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

T3 2 wounds no save, and with only WS9 to protect him in a game of stepping up and supporting attacks?
No, I don't think the melee Assassin is worth it one bit.

The Rendingstar assassin -might- be worthwile against opponents with little/no magic/shooting, but that's about it.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Thanks for the notes. I decided against him in my 'ard Boyz list.
I'll post it later if I get a chance, definitely with a battle report, though.
Lovok
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lovok »

"Hide" assasins in challenges. With 3 Attacks basic, 1 for add handweapon, D3 Attacks and SSS he comes up to 7 attacks. 6 should hit thanks for hatred, so you have an average chance to get a killing blow. Additionally let him double the result in challenges he afflicts and you´ll get a nice bonus on the close combat resolution through him alone.