How do I make an Unkillable Lord?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Nprice1216
Slave (off the Altar)

How do I make an Unkillable Lord?

Post by Nprice1216 »

I have been seeing the term "unkillable lord" quite a bit and have been wondering, what is the build for that?
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

Darksteed or peg, Ha, sdc, dragonhelm, pendant, crown and some weapon 8)
I have soulrender and steed on mine.
Nprice1216
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nprice1216 »

Thanks, cuz I kinda need a good lord for Ard Boyz
Nprice1216
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nprice1216 »

as an afterthought, pendant of kaeleth? and what crown?
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

Kaeleth yes, and crown of command from the rulebook, making him stubborn:)
Nprice1216
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nprice1216 »

Thanks again!!
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The key components here are the Pendant (obviously a stupidly good defensive item) as well as a good armor save and the Crown of Command, making the Dreadlord very hard to kill and very hard to break from combat.

A pegasus, as mentioned above, will give the Dreadlord better toughness and great mobility.

Some players also like to use the Dragonhelm for protection versus Flaming Attacks, especially the signature spell from Lore of Metal that the Pendant can't protect against.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Tethlis wrote:A pegasus, as mentioned above, will give the Dreadlord better toughness and great mobility.

You only use the highest wound characteristic, not toughness. Or have I missed something? :shock:
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The Virgin Forest wrote:You only use the highest wound characteristic, not toughness. Or have I missed something? :shock:

No you're right. Base Toughness is used, and the wounds value doesn't do the character riding any good unless you're talking about 2-wound Heroes.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Pendent of Kheleth is a requirement in many cases as it spits in the face of warmachine heavy units.

What about the Cloak of Hag Grief in combination as that acts as a sea dragon cloak, and half's enemy ranged attacks (don't have book in front of me, but I believe that's about it).
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Never combine the pendant with the magic cloack, you're skrewing the pendant.

Heavy armor, shield, cloack, Trickster helm for a 2+ save on foot. Remove the shield if on steed of cold one. With the last one, you can get 1+ save with great weapon, i recommand this one.
Pendant, and trickster shard.

On cold one, you have 4Str6, that force opponent to re-roll ward when you hit. Against you anything with Str 3-4 have less than 3% chances to wound you, for anything stronger, you get a 2+ ward, and your opponent still need to re-roll any successfull roll to wound.

The helm is strong against spell and even canon ball, rolling a one is not that common, but with re-roll to wound, you're gonna see more than you think.

The trickster helm is an underlooked armor. People are never using it.. with ogre I'm ALWAYS using it, with orc sometime and if I want an unkillable dreadlord for anyreason, it's gonna be that one.

Good luck!
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

Tethlis wrote:
The Virgin Forest wrote:You only use the highest wound characteristic, not toughness. Or have I missed something? :shock:

No you're right. Base Toughness is used, and the wounds value doesn't do the character riding any good unless you're talking about 2-wound Heroes.

Where does it mention this? I looked through for the benefit of riding a monster and it doesnt mention anything about going against the highest wound count or highest toughness.

Page number in the BRB please.
Dalamar wrote:RAW, yes. But it's slapworthy.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Pendant of Khaeleth, Dawnstone, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One.
1+ Re rollable Armour Save, Inverse Save.
And still 35 points for other items!
Pity you can't take Regen and Ward any more.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Both dawnstone and Pendant are talismans unfortunately.
Lepaca
Shade

Post by Lepaca »

Swab wrote:
Tethlis wrote:

Where does it mention this? I looked through for the benefit of riding a monster and it doesnt mention anything about going against the highest wound count or highest toughness.

Page number in the BRB please.

Peggy is no longer a monster but a monsterous beast. Add a rider and you get monsterous cavalery. Rules for that are on page 83.
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

POK, HA, CO, SDC, Dragonhelm, Soulrender, This guys beast, Inverse ward, 2+ ward vs fire, 1+AS, immune to fear, stubborn, magic weapon at S6. He can handle half your opponents army alone. maybe even sword of striking, he will be stuck in multiple rounds of combat thus losing his hate, he's hitting most infantry on 3+, 2+ with sword of striking. He can whittle them down a little each round, keep the bsb close to him so he never breaks.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

I came up with several combinations a while ago run through an excel spreadsheet and thought they might be useful here:

Armour Combinations

Items/Armour Save/Ward Save/Total Cost/MI Cost/comments

AOD+POK/ 1+/ Strength/ 60/ 60
AOD+Dawnstone/ 2X1+/ 50/ 50
AOES+Dragonbane Gem+ColdOne+Shield/ 2+/ 4+<>2+/ 65/ 40/ Mounted, 1 hand
Blood Armour, SDC, Shield/ 3+/ 21/ 15/ 1 hand
Heavy Armour, SDC, Cold one, Dragonhelm/ 1+/ 2+Vs.fire/ 36/ 10/ Mounted
Heavy Armour, SDC, Shield, Dragonhelm/ 2+/ 2+Vs.fire/ 20/ 10
Heavy Armour, SDC, Cold one, shield/ 1+/ 30/ 0/ Mounted, 1 hand
Heavy Armour, SDC, Shield/ 3+/ 10/ 0/ 1 hand

These are some of the pretty potent defensive combinations we have ranging from some of the most expensive to the cheap and mundane. Note that MI cost is the cost in magic items allowance, I haven't included pegasi (pegasusses?) in my calculations cos I personally don't use them much but it should be easily enough adapted. A 1+ AS with the PoK will have your opponents tearing their hair out trying to kill the character, 1+ AS can be easily obtained with armour of darkness for 25 points or heavy armour, shield, cold one and SDC or heavy armour, shield, pegasus, SDC and Dragonhelm. If you don't want the pendant for whatever reason then another good combination is the dragonbane gem and armour of eternal servitude, the 4+ regen's weakness to fire is covered by the 2+ ward against fire of the dragonbane gem, and only costs 40 points total. Adding in the dawnstone if you don't have a talisman already will reduce the chance of you failing the armour save from 1 in 6 wounds to 1 in 36 wounds. Using this with the AoES combo (since you cannot take the pendant with dawnstone) means that only 1 in 72 wounds which don't affect the armour or regen save in any way would actually wound, though you would have to forgo your protection against fire.

A few of my favourite master/dreadlord builds are:

Dreadlord AOES+Dragonbane gem+ColdOne+Shield+SDC+Giant Blade 276 (1+ AS, 4+ regen and virtual immunity to fire, oh and 4 S7 WS7 attacks at I8, anyone wanting to duel with this bloke is cruisin' for a bruisin')

Dreadlord AOES+Dragonbane gem+dark pegasus+Shield+SDC+crown of command+25 magic item points on weapons or such (A different take on the unkillable peggy dreadlord, his AS is only 2+ rather than one and he has the AOES/DBG regen with fire ward which is usually slightly inferior to the PoK but he does have a 2+ ward against one of the few things the PoK fears, which is the lore of metal magic missiles, and similarly this combo still provides 4+ regen against the lore of death missiles, which also bypass armour and the PoK.

Dreadlord Heavy Armour+SDC+Cold one+Shield+Giant Blade 240 (using the mundane armour to get a 1+ AS this dreadlord has the +3S of the giant blade and still 40 magic items points to spend on whatever you like, PoK, crown of command or some of the more eccentric items...

Dreadlord AOD+POK+Ogre Blade 240 (A very well protected foot dreadlord with decent bite, if you want a dreadlord on foot, then this guy will be able to take, and give, alot of punishment).

Master AOES+Dragonbane gem+ColdOne+Shield+SDC+Lance 152 (one of the best-protected heroes around and relatively cheap, his only downside being that he doesn't have a pretty magic weapon, in low point games he is a very good general as he is mobile and very well protected whilst still being very cheap)

Heavy Armour+SDC+Cold one+shield+Dawnstone+Whip of Agony (Another cheap master, if something bypasses his armour then he is fairly toast, but anything which doesn't will just bounce off him and he has some nasty offensive potential with the whip. Yes thanee that's right, I said the whip, I realise now how foolish I was :oops: )

generally for protection combos we can get a 1+ mundane AS with cold ones and 1+ on a dark pegasus with a dragonhelm (or enchanted shield). further protection can be afforded either with PoK, or AoES and dragonbane gem for only 5 points more, generally with a mount and around 40 points of magic items plus a little mundane armour you can get a character which is fairly bomb-proof, allowing points to be spent on crown of command if he is flying solo or some more nasty offensive items if he is with a unit.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

It's not really that 'easy' to make an Unkillable lord in 8th Ed anymore, but that depends to the changes to stacking wardsaves and regeneration.

On foot, our best saves is either 1+ AS and PoK, or 1+ Rerollable AS.
On a Cold One, our best saves would be a rerollable 1+ AS with Regeneration. (AoES and Dawnstone.)
Scion of hag graef
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scion of hag graef »

The Avenger wrote:Darksteed or peg, Ha, sdc, dragonhelm, pendant, crown and some weapon 8)

How do you get dragonhelm?
'Chaos is within us all, whether we choose it or not.'
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

Scion of Hag Graef wrote:
The Avenger wrote:Darksteed or peg, Ha, sdc, dragonhelm, pendant, crown and some weapon 8)

How do you get dragonhelm?

Its a magic item from the rulebook meaning anyone can use it. Is that what your asking?
Scion of hag graef
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scion of hag graef »

How do you get soulrender and crown?
'Chaos is within us all, whether we choose it or not.'
Non sence1
Warrior

Post by Non sence1 »

quick question of my own... If i mount him on a Pegasus he has a 1+ AS with a shield but if i give him a great weapon he cant use that shield in close combat, so therefore has a 2+ AS, is this worth it or do we want to keep the armor save to a 1+ for those high strenghth attacks? and is putting him on a coldone a big disadvantage since his movement is lowered?
No one is safe from the power of Druchii
dreadlord7476
Cold One Knight

Post by dreadlord7476 »

soulrender is in the DE book and the crown is in the big rule book
Twitter @dreadlord7476

the dead savoir nothing, revenge is a dish for the living

kailleth blackthorn Group 38
Warrior
ws5 s4 t3 d3 i4
2long swords, light armour, sheld
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

Hey dreadlord, are there a lot of players in BC? I want to move there eventually in my lifetime