DE VS Daemons

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dm crew
Trainee Warrior

DE VS Daemons

Post by Dm crew »

How can I kill unstoppable and maneuverable f;ying Blood thrister with MANY attacks and Thunder Stomp (I tried to use unkillable dreadlord, but he cant catch him and Okhama, of course, but this spell is very unreliable )? :(
Also how to stop:
1) 30 Bloodletters
2) 6 fiends (with 10 M they are VERY fast )
3) 6 flamers :( ?
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

Don't have any experience against Daemons, but setting up firing lanes with RBTs/RxBs could force his bloodthirster into a position where your unkillable lord can charge him. Give him a peggy or a Dark steed for greater movement.
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

Lots of rxb and unkillable dreadlord. Also SSS Corsairs, Black guards, witch elves and CoB. Lots of attacks is realy the key to beating Deamons.
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

You DL will kill flamers. Even a master with the dragon helm will do well because he will have a 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

The number 6 spell in metal will kill a third of the bloodletters on average, and the metal signature spell will wound the BT.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I used to really fear Bloodthirsters but I just don't anymore. Sure they're mean and can do lots of damage but 8th edition really hurt them. He no longer breaks ranks so where he used to break one unit every turn, now he should breakone or two the whole game.

Bloodthirsters HATE RBTs! He'll try and get his demon into combat as soon as possible if you have them just so he can't get shot. He'd rather grind through a unit for 3 or 4 turns than risk getting shot.

Throw enough **** against the wall and eventually something will stick. A 10x3 block of Corsairs with Repeater Handbows will scare the pants off his Thirster. He won't charge it because even 40 shots in the face can wound him. It's also the perfect unit to chase his Flamers around with!

Bloodthirsters really do not like Death Magic. They're remarkably resistant to it all things considered but they still do not like it. They also fear Word of Pain.

The fiends I have no advice. I have yet to face them. Good luck!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

Bloodthirster; the withering? -D3 toughness, fire all crossbows you have at it? I've not struggled with bloodletters, wore them down with deep spearmen units (allocate attacks to herald if present?) then hammer a flank with hydra (gotta dodge those flamers), fire off the breath weapon in cc... assuming you've negated steadfast it should be lots of dead bloodletters esp if break test failed.
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The important thing to remember with Bloodletters is that they're only T3 with a 5+ save. Yes, that's a Ward save, but it's still not fantastic. They're a great target to focus missile fire on until it's time for combat, especially if you can hit them with the Hydra's breath weapon, and you can expect an elite infantry unit to tear a big hole in them if supported properly with Cauldron and magic. If you can tank the Bloodletters for a turn so that they waste their Hatred on something, then follow up with a powerful charge, you'll be even better off.

As for the Thirster, all the solutions mentioned so far are good. His protection is quite good (he'll have a 4+ armor, 5+ Ward versus crossbow shots) but the Dreadlord will still slow him down until you can allocate something to contribute extra combat resolution with a flank or rear charge. If you're having trouble catching the Bloodthirster, then deploy in a tighter formation so he has no choice but to come to you. You should be in a great position to force Daemons to advance, if you have a strong enough presence of crossbows and offensive magic. Don't forget the benefits of those Shadow spells too... A Thirster isn't nearly as hard to kill when it's only Toughness 4.

For Flamers, remember that they still have to roll to hit, so screening your valuable units with terrain, harpy blocks or anything else to provide a cover bonus will help you keep your troops alive. For all their high Strength, mobility and shooting, their Weapon Skill is low and they don't enjoy being shot at or magicked to death either. If you have a pegsus character free to chase them, then use that, but if your pegasi are dealing with the Bloodthirster then you'll probably just need to make them waste their shooting until you can free up resources to attack them.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

DoC is one i haven't fought, but on friends advices:

Flamers:cover and force redirects into heavy hitters like bg cok, or execs. he said dr would be better since you can shoot and feign flee.

Bloodthirster: He said our RBT was the bomb until it gets into cc, and thn you hit him with a can opener (something that ignores armour or high S), drop any and every hex you can on him all at once. also: suicide bomber run. Basically, he said to tie him down like a varhulf, buff yourself and hex him and be DONE asap.

I'd guess that if thats not doable, throw bodies at it lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Demons and how to make them go away.
1 Hydras are your friend. They can not KB a hydra with anything but Skulltaker.
2 mass repeater fire. This is simple, they are majority T3 with a 5+. You will drop great swaths of them. Wither there toughness down and you will drop a stupid number.
3 fine they make contact with your lines. You swing first and wound on 4+ before any spell effects. Your specialty combat troops will lay waste to any that break past your fire power.
4 the big boy the blood thirstier. Just shoot him with your repeaters or send in your BOB. We all have a general BOB, some guy on a mount whos really hard to hurt. All that matters is hes hard to hurt and BSB is some where close by. Stick in combat for a few turns while your army eats rest of his. OR have a unit charge with you into thirster while your BOB challenges the demon. Who cares if you score a wound or not. Static combat res will handle it all.

Demons are good, but they are not good enough.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

bob? i always name my dreadlord Mal'Derath, or Mal'Conent or Steve or something...
Oderint dum Metuant.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

BOB
Basically
Overrated
Bastard
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Rmacdeezy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rmacdeezy »

Geist wrote:Demons and how to make them go away.
1 Hydras are your friend. They can not KB a hydra with anything but Skulltaker.

if your opponent is using skulltaker's HKB on hydras, please direct him to AB: DoC pg 54 and show him that skulltaker only has HKB in challenges. if he replies that this was changed in the FAQ, kindly show him the latest FAQ in which they removed skulltaker's HKB and then staple the page to his forehead.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Always take banners. I played a 750 game and beat them senseless because I had them they didn't.

Why not charge the Blood thirster with a 8-9 strong unit of knights, full command, banner of Hag Grif (ASF), have your unkillable dreadlord in the mix and a BSB with the hydra banner? The BSB can have a GW or halberd.

Looking up a bloodv thirster'sstats, he's always going to outpace you otherwise with his insanly high initiative. Moreover, the Dread Knight will be there to deny him a challenge.

Bloodthirster: Red Hulk Smash Skinny Shiny Man.
Dread lord and BSB point towards the Dread Knight.
Dread Knight: I think I'll sit this one out, thank you.

After all, it only has 5 wounds, so a good charge and a few lucky hits should work. Heck, if you wanted to, stick a sorceress in there as well, and use lore of shadows or metal to boost your guysup or weaken him (signature spell works wonder's either way).
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The thing I'm actually most afraid of are big Plaguebearer blocks. They're basically immune to crossbow fire, unlike Bloodletter blocks, and Poison Attacks + Strength 4 + Re-rolling to Wound is more than enough to kill bucketloads of Elves. Their Heralds can churn out some nasty gifts too; Lose ASF and Always Strikes last, breath weapon, spew back damage when wounds are suffered are all dangerous for us. Low Initiative and mediocre movement are their biggest drawbacks, but since they're on 25mm bases you can't even cover than many of them with a Pit of Shades or Purple Sun. I'd much rather fight Bloodletters than Plaguebearers; much easier for us to deal with, in my experience.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.