Manticore WIP 3/5/11

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Cronos
Assassin

Manticore WIP 3/5/11

Post by Cronos »

Hi guys and girls of D.net :)

I wanted some feedback on the new aditions I may be making to my army.
Basically, I never field coldone knights in my army lists, not because of stats or lack of the physical models, I just dislike the current coldone models, not my cup of tea :P

So to over come this I thought of converting myself some black guard cavalry! Hard as nails warriors riding the hand picked elite of spiteful and cannabilistic dark steeds.

Models wise I was thinking, standard wood elf steeds with chain mail and armour plate sculpted to the flanks and head. And then for the rider, plastic cold one knights legs with a black guard body.I may swap the halberds for something else, or perhaps make the halberds longer and more impressive, the latter sounds more within my capabilities.

Anyway, What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, Jez
Last edited by Cronos on Tue May 03, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Why not use the barded empire horses?

Other than that, sounds pretty awesome :)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Wow, that's going to be one expensive unit to make, and one heck of a project. Are you sure the time, money and effort spent is worth putting up with the current models? lol.

In all seriousness, if you can sculpt all that fancy detail onto the horses, then sure.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

Considering the fact that BG are 1 piece metal models, the torsos alone will cost a large chunk. Then you gotta saw them in two and do all the nitty gritty attachment procedures.

By the way, what do you intend to do about the robes the BG wear on the outside of their armour?
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Kython
Shade

Post by Kython »

I hate the current cold one models almost as much as the false phoenix king.

In my opinion, they should look like they did in the last army book, but with a better sculpt. currently they just don't have enough mass for my liking. they look too fragile and the cold ones are far too small.

The Idea with black guard is quite good, but I wouldn't use wood elf steeds. Although they look quite dynamic, I don't think they look heavy enough for heavy cavalry. I would use chaos marauder horses instead, which also provide some great bits for a command unit, like the banner or the horn made of skulls.
mounted halberds themselves could easily be counted as +2 S on the charge, but how are you going to add shields? sling them on the back, hang them from the saddle?
I, master of my dominion
You live because I allow it
You die because I demand it
All are subjects to my will

These are the worlds I create
I rise, thy fall
Myself above all
These are the worlds I create

I have become death
Destroyer of worlds
Detesting all life
Vanguard of your demise

Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I think chaos marauder horses will be too wide for the cold-one knight legs Kython.
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

I would go for Chaos knights.

They have the big armoured str 4 horses, wich is the closest a horse can resemble a Cold one. And you have some extra halberds for you converting.
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

IMO, the Marauder horses would make a better choice. Yes, you have to sculpt the armour, but then it will look more druchii and less Chaos. The Chaos Knight horses have armour that is both distinctly human (far too cumbersome and low grade for our race's refined taste) and riddled with chaos insignia, which will be a pain to remove. They also have a nice banner, but so do the knights so that point is moot.

In the end, it's your decision. We're just here to give our opinion.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

And what about using HE horses? Whether Dragon princes of Silver helmes, both have armor (but both will need some remodel), both have proportions to be elven steed (marauders horses are IMHO too bulky, knights horses are simply godzzilas) and they are not anorectic like WE ones.
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

Thanks for the replies,
If the project does go ahead im pretty sure Ill use the standard wood elf steeds, as I have used these for all 15 of my Dark Rider conversions.
Although I feel solely using Black guard models would limit me in terms of fluff and the visual aesthetic of the army as a whole.
I agree with Kython, the 6th edition cold one knights had all the components of what I would love to see charging round my battle field, the current plastics just are not up to standard.

Perhaps, some tinkering the the 6th edition cold one knights I have will produce the results I want :)
Kulrik (Group 39)
WS:4 S:4 T:4 D:2 I:4
Class: Warrior
Equipment: Light armour, Sea dragon cloak, Mace, Dagger.
Inventory: -
Skills: -
Damienhell
Trainee Warrior

Post by Damienhell »

If you think the current cold one are thin, why not use the one from gamezone.
They are fatter and have bigger jaws :)
and I also think 6th knight are cooler
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

I've had a play about with my bitz box and ended up putting together a dreadlord on manti inside :P, ill be green stuffing today, so hopefully by the evening ill have something to show
Kulrik (Group 39)
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

It seemed a waste to open a new thread for this.
Anyway, started work on my Manticore.
The head is a little out of preportion to the body, but after hunting for months for the right figure this was the closest I was going to get.

Pleased with how its turned out so far. I will keep you updated.
Kulrik (Group 39)
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

Quick update, I have added two more layers to the mane. One more to go before I scuplt the mane proper :)

I intend to pin the saddle to the Manti, that way I can swap the rider on a whim. Althought I think the DreadLady does look pretty good :P

Apologises for the copius ammounts of blu-tac.

Comments and criticism welcome
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

Sorry for the delay. Constraints of work have slowed up my progress!

Anyway. Added more to the mane and other details such as the spine, saddle strap and trophies.
I feel I should of made clear at the start the Manti is intended to be wingless.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... C11575.jpg

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... C11574.jpg
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

the mane looks great. Almost negates unproportionaly small head (but only almost :( ). The skulls really defys gravity :D