Shadow splash death or Death splash shadow?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Blaznak
Beastmaster

Shadow splash death or Death splash shadow?

Post by Blaznak »

So I have room for a level 4 and a level 2 sorceress in my 3K army. I played double death in the past and LOVED how it shuts down dispel dice. However, Shadow is just so phenomonal. the posts in the forums really support it, reading the spells really shows how impressive they are, blah blah blah.

I run COK and Dark Riders, Harpies, Hydras, cauldron bsb, witches, corsairs, Crosbows, spears and black guard. Lots of random stuff. But it seems to work for me.

I keep wobbling back and forth. Do I run a level 4 w/ Death level 2 w/ shadow? or go the opposite and why?

IF I can squeeze it in, I'd consider a level 1 + Tome for Metal...

Later, and thanks for your thoughts!
~B~
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Level 4 with Shadow, Level 2 with Tome of Furion and Death.

Shadow is really the game-winning Lore here, and so you want the Level 4 to have it to have the greatest chance to cast. The Hexes and Augments in Shadow can turn combats decisively in your favor.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Would you dispute the value of Death as a combo? or would you go with *gasp* metal? I love death as it completely dominates the magic phase.
~B~
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

If you are going shadow with your main sorc (a good choice in a balanced list), then I recommend Dark for the lvl2. Easy to cast and combined with the toughness and strength hexes, the big spells can wreak havok.
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

I agree with sulla on this. The synergy between Shadow and Dark is awsome.

"Ohh so you have a big horde of frenzied chaos warriors deathstar comming my way, and i have nothing in my army that can take you on, you say? Well, i will just lower your toughness with shadow and then place my Black Horror template over the same unit. What? You want to surrender becouse i just made your deathstar run of the bord in turn one? I thought you said i had nothing to take on..."

And then i get a long speech on how Dark elves are overpowerd... :D Happend last week ;)
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Aimbob
Warrior

Post by Aimbob »

Kaleth Stinson wrote:I agree with sulla on this. The synergy between Shadow and Dark is awsome.

"Ohh so you have a big horde of frenzied chaos warriors deathstar comming my way, and i have nothing in my army that can take you on, you say? Well, i will just lower your toughness with shadow and then place my Black Horror template over the same unit. What? You want to surrender becouse i just made your deathstar run of the bord in turn one? I thought you said i had nothing to take on..."

And then i get a long speech on how Dark elves are overpowerd... :D Happend last week ;)

hahahhaha awesome :p

But this monday I had a battle and I fielded a lvl 4 with shadow and a lvl 2 with death.

But the lvl 2 death withe tome didn't do anything at all the whole game. Death isn't the cheapest lore and you only get +2 on his casting attempts.

My lvl 4 with dagger, could use the PD more effectively.

This was the first time I took death, and not convinced. At least on a lvl2.
..__i___........__
...) ) ) ) ) ..r..(°°)
.\OOOOO/..../()\
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Dark, huh. Interesting. I like Death for Character Sniping. Also, I love generating power dice. It just completely demoralizes people as you use a bunch of dice, kill their character, then generate 2 more power dice off the kill.

I will re-look at Dark, however. Sigh. Decisions decisions...
Aszvet
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aszvet »

I am all shadow in large games, Dark in small games.

I like death alot, but it seems only to have one purpose for me and that is to snipe characters.

I know that many people may disagree, but i don't get the range out of death that i do out of shadow.
Gjriff
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gjriff »

+1 Lvl 4 shadow/lvl 2 dark
I roll more 1's than binary!!!!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Kaleth Stinson wrote:I agree with sulla on this. The synergy between Shadow and Dark is awsome.

Works the same with Shadow and Death -- lower Initiative with Miasma then hit with Purple Sun. The various Shadow hexes also boost the effectiveness of the character sniping spells in the Lore of Death.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I'd rather launch soul stealer at toughness hexed troops, or black horror at strength hexed troops than kill off a character most times though Dvim.

Those spells are already pretty good vs average stat units, they go to godlike levels with the shadow hexes (or soulblight, for that matter).
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

My take on it: in order of effectiveness in an all-comers list.

Level 4 Shadow - 2 Dark
Level 4 Shadow - 2 Death
Level 4 Shadow -2 Metal
Level 4 Shadow -2 Fire
Level 4 Dark - 2 Shadow
Level 4 Dark - 2 Death
Level 4 Dark - 2 Metal
Level 4 Dark - 2 Fire
Level 4 Death - 2 Shadow
Level 4 Death - 2 Dark
Level 4 Metal - 2 Shadow
Level 4 Metal - 2 Fire
Level 4 Fire - 2 Death
Level 4 Fire - 2 Dark
Level 4 Fire - 2 Metal
Level 4 Fire - 2 Shadow

Tome of Furion may change this order but only ever so slightly but suppose you only get two spells and taking into consideration the strength of the signature spell.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Kaleth Stinson wrote:"Ohh so you have a big horde of frenzied chaos warriors deathstar comming my way, and i have nothing in my army that can take you on, you say? Well, i will just lower your toughness with shadow and then place my Black Horror template over the same unit. What? You want to surrender becouse i just made your deathstar run of the bord in turn one? I thought you said i had nothing to take on..."

His answer will be: "My Chaos Warriors are S4 still, so what? Bring it on!" :lol:

Ok, losing one-third of the unit still hurts, even without lowering the right characteristic. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

One downside to Black Horror is that it allows ward saves -- which Chosen often have ...
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

Kaleth Stinson wrote:

your immune to psycology if frenzy, which would mean no panic test though
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

flash29 wrote:
Kaleth Stinson wrote:

your immune to psycology if frenzy, which would mean no panic test though

Good call there flash. In the heat of the moment we must have forgotten. Put my point stays the same. Of his 38 warriors with lvl 4 and bsb, there where 16 +2 left. And they where opposit of my Black Guards and big Cold One Knight unit. So he would have surrendered anyways.

PS: I ofc lowered his strength, and not thoughness.
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Whobetta
Black Guard

Post by Whobetta »

One question with the DEATH lore...

I thought the rule was you cannot have more than 12 dice? is that just at 1 time or throughout the whole magic phase?
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

whobetta wrote:One question with the DEATH lore...

I thought the rule was you cannot have more than 12 dice? is that just at 1 time or throughout the whole magic phase?

That's just at one time. The pool caps out at 12. You can burn dice off, then reload, which is cool if you do it, and annoying if your opponent does it.

~B~