Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) - OOC

Post by Calisson »

TMRS system:

TMRS spreads over multiple threads.
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) - OOC(present thread, where the magic system is detailed)
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Lessons Learned
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Now playing(the story itself)
[poll] The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Who goes into the pit? Day 1(results of the 1st day challenge)
[poll] The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Who goes into the pit? Day 4(results of the 4th day challenge)
[poll] The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Who goes into the pit? Day 5(results of the 5th day challenge)
[poll] The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Who goes into the pit? Day 6(results of the 6th day challenge)
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Who is the best recruit ?(last challenge)
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Quest in the West(3rd day challenge)
The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Beast in the East(3rd day challenge)
TMRS2 - OOC will come next.

Let me introduce... <drumrolls>

The Magic Reality Show (aka TMRS).

Introduction.

Some speculations about who would win a total war between Druchii and Lizarmen (see: fluff fight ) reached Morathi’s attentive ears.
She charged Kaleth Silverjaw, her military advisor, to determine the relative strengths of all kind of Magic Lores and magic-like powers. He will have to test rookie Mage Candidates, because low level Mages would be abundant in armies, and because they can disappear with little fuss.

Settings.

A small island off the Dark Pillar, east of Har Ganeth, hosts the Show. Windy, rainy and icy. Most of the island consists in cliffs and bare rocks. A glacier reaches the sea. Sea birds inhabit the cliffs, threatened by occasional flocks of harpies. The sea must be very productive, given the gigantic size of carnivorous fishes’ fins lurking around. A single narrow plain hosts some low bush vegetation. Small rodents and seals are the only mammals to be seen in that plain. The only signs of civilization are a small jetty, a deserted fishermen’s village and a sinister tower.

Starting scene.

A loud horn’s sound wakes up the Candidates. Each of them founds himself alone in a fishermen’s shack, containing a blanket, food, wood, a fire lighter and the Candidate's belongings.
They don’t know where they are or what happened since they were enlisted (with more or less consent).

A voice from outside urges them to get out and gather on the place in front of the tower. There, they meet each other for the first time.

A tall, haughty nobleman in his shiny armor gets out from the tower along with four guards, heavily armed.
I am Kaleth Silverjaw.
I know who you are. All of you know some kind of magic.
You are here to prove that your magic is the best.

He adds threateningly.
Here, there are safety rules.
Don’t aggress me or my guards. Don’t touch the tower. Don’t go at sea. Beware of harpies.

Plot.

Every morning, Kaleth will propose a challenge. The challenge is usually to be completed alone.
Each Candidate must find a way to fulfill the challenge, using his arcane powers.
They can choose to observe and imitate the first ones who start to work, in order to surpass them. To compensate that, there will be a bonus for who takes the initiative.

At dusk, Kaleth will evaluate the Candidates and select the three weakest challengers (poorest or slowest).
They will be thrown into a pit leading to a cavern. Only two of them will get out the next morning.

At the end of the week, the winner is the last survivor. He will have earned his freedom, but more importantly, he will have proved that his arcane powers are the most powerful.

The first challenge.

Today is Monday.
Before the end of the day, each of you must have built an appropriate place for casting his magic. A pentacle, an altar, whatever. Use rocks or logs.
Don't forget to consecrate it with the appropriate spell (it is necessary to make it become "magic"). The consecration can last a year, or you can consecrate it daily, your choice. You’ll need it sometimes throughout the week.
Carry on!
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 am, edited 13 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Magic Reality Show’s Magic system.

In order to provide each Candidate with even chances, the same scaling will be used for everyone.
It provides an accurate reference and allows you to cast pretty much anything… at the appropriate price.
There are unwanted side-effects which role is to incite gamers to use magic moderately. Balance and randomness.
They are a great source of roleplay as well!

Magic scaling.

Describe the spell to cast, using the two tables below:
- the effects of the spell,
- the conditions of casting.
Ask the Mod by PM if you have a doubt, or just to let him know precisely what you want to achieve.

Weaker effects are easier to cast (+1). Stronger effects are harder to cast (-1).
Easier conditions are harder to cast (-1). Harsher conditions are easier to cast (+1).
Sum up the +1 and -1 to cast (+/-2 sometimes).
A +1 can be granted by the Mod for good roleplaying and -1 for being difficult to understand.
The Mod will determine success/failure with a dice roll (modified 1 or 2, or natural 1 is a fail).
The Mod will also determine the result of the side effect with a dice.
A modified result of 3+ (for a Mage with Intelligence 5) will be a success.
If both dice are 6, then... miscast!

Spell effects:

A. Spell category.
Some effects are just easier to cast. Determine to which category your spell belongs.
+1: communication – protection – movement – knowledge
+0: influence – aggression – self-transformation – healing
-1: command – creation – transformation – magic object

B. Familiarity.
+1: well known spell: Any spell akin to the appropriate Lore from Rulebook/Army Book/Storm Of Magic, as long as its casting value is < 10 times the Mage’s level.
+0: unusual spell, well documented: Any spell akin to the appropriate Lore from Rulebook/Army Book/SoM, if its casting value is 10 times the Mage’s level or more.
-1: spell known only in theory: Found in a story from any GW writings, novels, fluff, rules, WH RPG related to the appropriate Lore (specify in your post).
-2: totally new, similar to no other spell
Example: for a Fire Mage Level 1, Flaming Sword is well known, Burning Head is unusual.

C. Area of effect.
+1: affects 1 person, or a handful of something, or a light wound; inaccurate (aims at whole bodies); can be easily resisted, if applicable
+0: affects a dozen persons, or a room, or multiple deep wounds; accurate (aims at selected body part); difficult to resist
+0: averaging the +1 and -1 for a tiny masterpiece with exquisite details
-1: affects 1 army, or a building, or one missing limb; chirurgical precision; very hard to resist.

D. Distance.
+2: touch with both hands
+1: at breath’s distance (2m), or at 1 day’s interval if applicable
+0: at visual distance, or at 1 year’s interval
-1: in any known place, or in a lifetime’s interval (1 century)
-2: anywhere in the same side of the World, or in History

E. Duration.
+2: lasting 6 seconds <EDIT: added>
+1: lasting 6 minutes
+0: lasting until midnight
-1: lasting 1 year & 1 day
-2: eternal (50% chances to fade after each millenium)

Casting conditions:

F. Mage’s Level.
-2: proficiency level 1 (-2 to cast)
+0: proficiency level 2
+2: proficiency level 3 (+2 to cast)

G. Location & timing.
-1: unstable floor, or transport; inauspicious time (i.e. your magic needs a rest one day a week, pick up which one)
+0: hard ground; normal time
+1: consecrated place (pentacle...); OR dedicated time (no more than 1 day a week); OR BOTH. <EDIT in capital letters>

H. Casting duration.
-1: 1 second preparing the mind; 1 second dedicated to casting
+0: 5 minutes preparing the mind (allows multiple casting of same spell - no demanding activity such as combat during the preparation); 1 minute dedicated to casting
+1: 9 hours preparing the mind (light activity allowed, interruption for a couple of minutes allowed); 3 hours dedicated to casting (no interruption or resume from the start)
<EDITED - +1 is NO LONGER 40 days preparing the mind (i.e. in the character's description or in the story's introduction); 12 hours dedicated to casting>

I. Components.
-2: none
-1: a mundane component destroyed, or a magic component held
+0: a precious component destroyed, or a unique artifact held
+1: an unnatural component destroyed (unicorn's horn...), or a divine object held

J. Body components.
-2: none
-1: whispers; 1 hand moving; light sporadic concentration till end of effects
+0: loudly speaking; 2 arms moving; intense concentration till end of effects (allows only to walk)
+0: averaging +/-1 for a loud, bright elaborate casting, but only very light concentration afterwards
+1: shouting; whole body dancing; cataplexy till end of effects

K. Side effect.(see also below)
-2: pleasant
-1: mild
+0: detrimental
+1: terrible
+2: miscast
Note: Side-effects are here to even the odds of casting the spell.
Add all bonuses & maluses without side-effect, then select the appropriate side-effect which will half the total (rounded down).
Examples:
If the total A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H+I+J is -4, then the side effect will be +2 for a new total -2. Automiscast!
If A trough J totals +3, then select -1 for a new total +2.

Side-effects.

There is always some kind of side-effect, no matter whether the spell is cast or failed.
After casting the spell, the Mod determines one side-effect affecting the caster.

Pleasant side effects: last as long as the caster achieves nothing else.
1. aura. 2. incense perfume. 3. handsome charisma. 4. heavenly chime. 5. bright inspiration. 6. luck.
In addition, Pleasant side effects make the casting immune to miscast.

Mild side effects: last 1/10th of the duration of the spell.
1. colored smoke, 2. strange smell, 3. sweat, 4. funny rustle/squeak, 5. drunkenness, 6. dizziness.

Detrimental side effects: same duration as the spell.
1. hallucination, 2. pestilence, 3. vomit, 4. loud noise, 5. aggressiveness, 6. exhaustion.

Terrible side effects: last 7 times as long as the spell. <Edited: it used to be 10 times as long>
1. blindness, 2. spasms, 3. severe aging, 4. deafness, 5. dread vision, 6. infantilism.

Miscasts:definitive.
<EDIT>A miscast creates a small vortex blasting pure magic energy around the Mage.
The result is chosen by the Moderator according to context.
Suggested result is the permanent loss of some Character Statistics: 1. WS (burnt limb), 2. S (severed lungs), 3. T (frail bones), 4. D (broken earbones), 5. I (madness) or 6. magic power level forgotten.
Range: d6 metres centered on the Mage. If you rolled 6, reroll for d6 x 10m. If you rolled 6 again, the caster is absorbed by the vortex instead, otherwise the vortex blows off the area and affects people in the same way as the caster.
<end EDIT>

Miscasts happen also with the famous double 6: 1 die for casting, 1 die for side effect.
Miscasts are adapted to the power of the spell. Better, if the spell was cast with a pleasant side effect, there is no possibility of miscast.

Example:

A Mage of Fire is tied with a rope. He wishes to burn the rope around his wrists as soon as possible.
Spell: tiny fireball. Expected effects: knot burned off.
A. Aggression +0, B. well known +1, C. the knot +1, D. touched +2, E. quick+1.
F. Level1 -2, G. normal +0, H. fast -1, I. none -2, J. whispers & hand -1.
K. Detrimental +0. Total -1.

The spell will be cast successfully with 4-6 on a d6, determined by the Mod.
The detrimental side effect determined by the Mod will last 6 minutes.
Last edited by Calisson on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Magic Reality Show - OOC comments

RL timing.

This game requires at most a daily access to the Internet. A weekly routine is considered.

The challenge is issued late at night on Day 1.

Candidates post their solution during Day 2 and Day 3.
This is moderated like a SAU: NO EDIT ALLOWED. Only one post each.

Selection of the three worse answers is made during Day 4 (see below) and the result is posted in the evening.

Day 5 and Day 6, the 3 selected Candidates roleplay what happens in the pit.
They must indicate who will take the exit rope. First in, first served… unless the two others react.
This is moderated just like any RPG, allowing several posts per player, until a solution is reached. Edition is permitted on good faith basis but should be avoided.
Classic example of a solution: the death of one of the Candidates.

Day 7 is a buffer.

As a result, one RPG day is played in one RL week. Expected duration is 1.5 RL month per RPG week.

Selection of the losers.

During the day’s challenge, only one post per Candidate is allowed. No editing is permitted (sanction: the pit!).
Faster Candidates will get a bonus, because slower Candidates can read the previous answers and try to find smarter solutions.

The selection will be made with a poll, open to every D.netter including the participants.
The poll will ask who should be thrown into the pit.
Add 10% quickness bonus for the first Candidate to have posted, 20% for the second to post, 30% for the third…
The three highest scores go into the pit.

The selection of the Candidate who will not get out of the pit is made by the Mod, based on the roleplay results.
A reasonable bet is against the worst of the incoming three, but good roleplaying (and luck) is paramount.

Non-posting gamers.

If any of the Candidates fails to post, he obviously fails the challenge and is sent to the pit.
In the pit, if he still fails to post, he is just removed from the game because he did not get out.
If several challengers fail to post, first in, first out. If no clear winner emerges, first in first out.

Number of Candidates.

8 Candidates would be perfect to fit the "week" schedule.

After a week (RL: 7 weeks), the remaining challenger will get a better mastery of his arcane powers.
Depending on how the first RPG week went on, we could start anew with the winner and 7 newcomer characters (different Lores), all being now Level 2 and getting a replenishment of any material they need. Harder challenges to be faced.
After another week, same with Level 3.
That would provide new chances for early losers.

Candidates.

RPG characters. All are classified as Mages, males or females. Regular equipment. Human-like stats (even for non-elves, if any!). Only one power of magic (1) skill.

Maximum one Mage per Lore (first served basis).
- Magic Lores available:
Aqshy (Fire), Ghur (Beast), Hysh (Light), Chamon (Metal), Ghyran (Life), Azyr (Heavens), Ulgu (Shadows), Shyish (Death),
Dark Lore (druchii only)
- Non-magic “Lores” available:
Khaine’s cult (for a Witch Elf cult assistant, who would be classified as a Mage, not a Khainite).

In the character’s description, each player specifies which day of the week is inauspicious for his Lore and which one is dedicated. His choice. The challenge starts on a Monday (RPG time) and ends on a Sunday.

Each player mentions what is considered as a consecrated place. He should be able to make it himself: that will be the first challenge.

Each player posts, in the description of his character, what spell components he wishes to have available.
He can get access to 4 mundane components, 2 precious components and 1 unnatural component, which will be destroyed by using them.
Example for Death Lore: 7 prisoners available for sacrifice, including 4 slaves, 2 virgin daughters of kings and 1 last member of his kin (i.e. the Last of the Mohicans).

(edited paragraph)

GENERIC CHARACTER SUMMARY:
• Name: this one should be pretty self explanatory.
• Sex: Male or female
• Height: the elven average is a little taller than for humans.
• Weight: stones, pounds, kilograms, it is all the same to us.
• Appearance: What does your character look like?
• Character Class: you must choose Mage.
• Character Statistics: WS n - S n - T n - D n - I n. Your minimum Intelligence has to be 4. Total 18.
• Starting Equipment: 2EP - You must select a staff (1EP), and may not select armour.
• Starting Skills: 2 Skill Points. You must take a single one power of magic xx (1)skill for SP1, and a general or weapon mastery skill for SP1.
• Character Background: as you like. It would be nice to relate how you were enlisted in The Magic Reality Show: volunteer or captured?
• Character Ambitions: as you like. Anyway, your next two skills will be your Power of Magic (2) and the same Power of Magic (3).
• Inauspicious Day: NNday (-1 to cast on inauspicious day).
• Dedicated Day: XXday.(+1 to cast on dedicated day).
• Consecrated place: (your first task will be to build it in the island).
• Starting Components: 4 mundane - 2 precious - 1 unnatural. (they can be used when you wish to enhance your chances of casting successfully - they will be destroyed in the process).

Experiment.

This is the first time that TMRS is played in D.net and even, AFAIK, in the Internet.
Let me know your feelings (posting below or PM).
Lessons learned could help to improve the next game.

Register now to The Magic Reality Show!

If you want to give a try to TMRS, register your character by posting his description below, just like a RPG character.
I don't mind that you joined even if you are already playing or moderating in one or several RPG.
The sooner you sign up, the more likely your favorite Lore is available. Editing is allowed for the moment (except for the Lore).
The game will start (and registration will be closed) as soon as the 8th Mage has registered.
You can also use this thread for questions.

Calisson
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I have little to no idea what any of this is about, so I'm going to have to sit down and give this another read over a glass of something.

The one thing I am sure of Calisson is that, whatever this is, it sounds incredibly exciting as well as interesting as heck. You can sign me up.

I'll edit this post once I've created a character and read everything properly etc.

-EDIT-

Alright, after reading it all, I've grasped the basics of what this shindig will require. Still a little confusing at some points, such as spell components (what spell components could I possibly choose for Dark Magic for instance?) which seem to be an endless pool of idea's.

The spell conditions as well seem a bit too much. I mean, it will be great and to an extent will honour the fluff of casting spells and such, but will we be expected to cover every minute detail of casting the spell, I'm just not sure of how far you want us to go into writing up our character's actions and such. You say this is like a SAU game but it seems that there is going to be a lot more work to be put in. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also the time advantage/disadvantage for people who don't post first seems unnecessary. "Faster Candidates will get a bonus, because slower Candidates can read the previous answers and try to find smarter solutions." I don't exactly see this as fair, plus it can't possibly be as game breaking as you describe? What I mean is, we are either going to be playing a game where certain people will be constantly getting bonus's because they are on at the same time as the post or people are going to have to start getting up at unforgiving hours of the day or changing work habits just to cater for this game (it will be highly unlikely that people will be able to cater for this game by changing otherwise busy schedules).
I don't know, it might just be me, but I feel that this might be a bad idea by giving bonus's out to people of the relatively same time zone/free time as the mod poster.

Also who will judge the quality of the posts? A single person or a group of people? The game allows the element of roleplaying to really shine here, but even if you write a terrific post which wow’s the audience, it still feels that you can be undermined just by the sheer amount of randomness and luck this game has included.

I’m not exactly sure whether I should create a character and invest such a great deal of “roleplaying” and attention to the “magic” details if I’m going to have my character become blinded, loses all her limbs and suffers from debilitating spasms for the rest of her days just from a few bad dice rolls.

Maybe I’m just looking too far into things here, I don’t know. The game or round you say goes for a month and a half or so. If your character dies, then what happens you’re simply out of the game? After that entire month of hard work you might have put in? Or is it that you can only die in “The Pit”? Also who says I can’t simply attempt to blast the guards who try to put me in “The Pit”? :)

-EDIT2-

Character Details Soon to Come...
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for giving it a try!
Nice to have some feedback.

Quick answers:

Rather than complex, the magic system is detailed, contrary to the RPG system which is extremely vague.

Spell components: pick up what you wish, use your imagination, don't try to stick too much to the rules. The best would be anything related to the Lore, but yes, this is an endless pool of ideas.
- Example for Dark Magic: Let's see which components are used in the RB spell's description, that may help.
- PoD: none. Chillwind: an icy wind invoqued. Doombolt: the strange creature Kharaidon invoqued. WoP: a True Name of a Dark Creature. Bladewind: a prayer to a Dark Creature. SoulStealer: a demon invoqued. BH: a vortex invoqued.
- It seems that Dark Magic lies a lot on invocations. It requires words which will bind spirits. If you want something stronger than spoken words, your magic components will likely be written words.
- As a material component, you could make good use of:
# Four pieces of white cloth and four charcoal pen,
# two embroided silk sheets and two doses of octopus ink,
# one djinn hide and one small bottle of unicorn blood.
Whoever (whatever?) you summon with those ingredients will be sensible to the price you afforded.

This is how I would encourage you to roleplay around the rules.

Casting a spell: Do it with fluff, of course!
Don't worry, most of the characteristics are obviously chosen in the Magic system.
State what you want to do, pick up what characteristics look remotely close.
Select your casting conditions, add some fluff, that is Magic, not disco dance!
Of course, if you only bother to snap a finger, the effects will be lesser than if you added lots of decorum.

Why do I wish to advantage faster candidates? Well, this is not necessary, I just felt that it could be useful.
One reason is to speed up the process, of course, which will guarantee a regular routine.
That seems unfair for those who have sporadic access to the Internet and cannot choose when they post.
However, I realised that late posters could take inspiration from early posters and that provided them and advantage, too.
So I considered to forbid the early posters to edit (in order for them not to benefit from what later posters had written).
The result is:
- if you have little access to Internet, whenever you post, read first what has been written and try to be smarter.
- if you have frequent access, then you have a choice:
# either you post first, but your ideas have no copyright and will be used by later posters, however you get the speed advantage
# or you post very late, then you can carefully evaluate what are the other answers and try to best them. but you have a late penalty.

But if everyone wants to change that to a system where you can post anytime and edit as will, that's fine with me.

Judge: An open poll is the most democratic way to select the 3 weaker candidates.
The pit is a second step before being pushed away. Result is more coming from candidates roleplay than from sheer luck.
So everyone gets two chances before loosing.
And if they loose, there will be another challenge at the end of the RPG week.

Randomness & luck: casting requires 3+. Good roleplaying allows +1. If your spell had no malus, that's 5/6 chances. You don't need that much luck.
You can specify in your post what if your spell was not cast successfully: do you try it anew?

Miscasts: that's the Mod's choice. I will never choose something which will prevent the player to keep playing.
I'd rather find something leading to more roleplaying.
And even loosing a limb can be magically restored!
That system is made to encourage to get the milder effects for long term spells (did you ever wondered why many mages look so weird? They still suffer some mild side effects!), and more risky spells for short duration (unless it is a life or death instance).
If ever you feel that your last spell is coming before you are killed, take your chance, cast something really awful! Did you wonder why weak magicians are often left unbothered? That's deterrence.

Dying is supposed to happen only in the pit.
Of course, if characters try to kill each other during the game, that will speed up the process.
But in case the Khainite devout wished to kill all competitors during one night, he would be intercepted by Kaleth's guards soon enough.
There is a RPG Mod, after all!

On the other hand, if the Death Mage wants to kill the Dark Mage instead of building his altar, that's his choice.
He may succeed. Or not: the victim will get a resistance dice.
And the other candidates may react the next day against such attitude.
Or we could stop the challenge for that day and keep playing the reaction in a RPG mode: if someone dies during the day, there is no need for the pit RPG.

Thanks for your questions.
Basically, TMRS is still mostly a RPG. Only the magic rules are very detailed and accurate but still open to unlimited imagination...
And one character will be killed each week.

If you wish, try to cast a spell, right here below.
You'll see how it works, I'll help you if needed.
Then everyone will see how it goes.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Calisson - this looks really fun (it sounds like a complex system, but most of the complexity is on your end not mine, so I'm okay with that! :D) and I'd like to give it a try. As I'm new to this kind of roleplaying, I'll wait until a couple of other people have posted characters etc, so I can see what type of thing I should be putting up there.

So, count me in! Character details to come soon...

P.S. What day do we start?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
dreadlord7476
Cold One Knight

Post by dreadlord7476 »

Well this looks really fun I’ll join but there is a small problem, my spelling is not best and it can interfere with my posts the best example of my spelling would be on the group 31 role playing tread, so if my spelling is adequate. I’m in.
Twitter @dreadlord7476

the dead savoir nothing, revenge is a dish for the living

kailleth blackthorn Group 38
Warrior
ws5 s4 t3 d3 i4
2long swords, light armour, sheld
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

No problem with your spelling, as long as it is not l337-like spelling.

To start, use the "Character Creation" sticky thread as a guide, but DO NOT POST IN THE CHARACTER CREATION thread.
Post it here below.

If you have questions, post below.

If yo want to try a magic spell, try below.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

• Name: Metarchis Avax
• Sex: Male
• Height: 6'2
• Weight: 150 lbs.

• Appearance: Cropped black hair, with streaks of light grey. Long thin body. Callous narrow face that is usually set in a slight sneer and hardly ever smiles. A slight scar is etched into his left cheek. Hazel brown eyes, with small flecks of blood visible in the whites around his pupils. Wearing a pair of loose grey breeches and a dark grey cowl, with the hood pulled back, as well as a pair of Black boots. He is slightly pasty looking and weak, with a slight stoop in his walk, which looks unusual for an elf of his young age.

• Character Class: Mage
• Character Statistics: WS4, S2, T3, D4, I5
• Starting Equipment: Mace, Dagger
• Starting Skills: Power of Khaine (1). Basic Stealth (1)
• Inauspicious Day: Monday (the day of the Moon - Khaine doesn't like the moon)
• Dedicated Day: Thursday (the Day of Thor)
• Consecrated place: Cauldron of Blood
• Starting Components: 4 slave's skulls (mundane), 2 Skins of sacrificed cold one lizard (precious), 1 eye of ritually sacrificed dragon (unnatural)

• Character Background: As a member of a noble order of Naggaryth, Metarchis should have been born into a life of immense power, glory and butchery. However, soon after emerging from his mother's womb, it became clear that he lacked the strength and stamina that an elf of his age and lineage ought to have gained. As the years passed, his failure to grow stronger led his parents to become increasingly embarrased. They tried to have him taught the noble skills of sword fighting and lizard riding, but he never took to it. His efforts when fighting were clumsy and awkward, and suited more to clumsier and less elite weapons, such as maces and daggers, both of which he learned to use in secret. Finally, after being bested in swordsplay by a slave inside a public setting, his parents decided to deal with the problem once and for all. Calling in a favour from the Cult of Khaine, they secured a place in their ranks for their child, and cut him out of their life. Metarchis was sent off to the blood stained halls of the bloody goddess, to learn how to become an acolyte or die trying.

During his years in the Cult of Khaine, Metarchis discovered that what he lacked in brawn and toughness, he possessed in quick wit and intelligence. He used these traits to secure himself jobs that involved less swordplay and fighting and more ceremonial duties, such as cutting the hearts out of recently sacrificed animals, humans and other victims. As he worked, he realised that he was able to interact with the bodies in ways that he had never imagined before: causing their hearts to wither in his hands, without even closing his fist, or causing their limbs to twist and tighten just by gazing at them intently. At first his powers only worked on the dead or dying victims on whom he worked, but he has increasingly noticed that he has the ability to touch and affect healthy creatures too. So far he has contented himself with experimenting on animals and slaves, dragging them off into the shadows and then teasing and torturing them with his mind. Soon, he may try more.

Metarchis is suprised that his burgeoning shadowy magical powers have attracted the attention of Nagaryth's elite. But he intends to use this opportunity to rise to the top and achieve his goals.

• Character Ambitions: Metarchis has never forgotten the shame that he felt as a child and the way that his parents saw him as a weakling, something to be embarrased by. His driving goal in life is to make something of himself, show his parents how worthwhile he has become, make them proud of him, and then wreak his revenge on them for sending him away in disgust. He views the current magical contest as an ideal way to further rise up the ladder of power and draw him closer to this objective. Metarchis is a callous and selfish indivdual, who lacks morals and will do anything necessary to secure this future. In terms of skill gains, Metarchis would like to increase his shadowy magical powers further, as he views this newfound ability as the best way to secure power, infamy and revenge...

Edited to include mod's recommendations.
Last edited by Red... on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Test casting.

Spell: Mystifying Miasma.
Target: Small rodent.
Expected effect: Stupify the rat and make it stumble about for a few minutes.

Metarchis takes a small rodent and grasps it in his hand, holding it tightly even as it tries to squirm away. He brandishes his dagger and traces out the word 'Miasma' in the air, He then traces the dagger's tip along the back of the rat, not quite forcefully enough to penetrate it's skin, and then blows softly onto it, whispering the word: 'Mystify'. He then releases the rat back onto the floor and watches it to see what happens.

A: +0 (influence)
B: +1 (well known spell: Shadow lore signature spell)
C: +1 (localised to affecting one rat)
D: +2 (able to touch with both hands)
E: +1 (short term affect of just a few minutes)
F: -2 (level 1 skill level only)
G: +0 (stable place, but not hallowed)
H: +0 (Metarchis has had a good 10 minutes to prepare, but is not going to have spent longer than that for such a simple spell!)
I: -1 (the dagger is playing a magical role, I suppose this might not be enough and it should be -2 though?)
J: -1 (Metarchis is whispering and making small motions)
K: -1 (mild side effects desired)
Total: 0

OOC: Did I do it right?

I'm a bit confused as to how these modifiers interact with the spell to be cast. Do you cast on a 3+ normally on one dice, and then add modifiers (in your example you had a -1 modifier, so cast on a 4+) or how does it work?

Also, I'm a little bit concerned that my character is going to struggle to cast much of anything with the current setup. I am attempting to cast the most basic of all shadow spells in a stable environment on a single target and still only have a 0 modifier to do so. Will you tweak this if it becomes clear that we are struggling to cast things?

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OK. Let's see Red's character.
Made from Character Creation as required, except it is posted here in the present thread, as required.

But... :shock: your character is not a Mage!
That's bad. He is supposed to become a Level 2 at the end of the week and a Level 3 at the end of the second week (provided he survives).

So no, no Khainite. Only Mages.
But if anyone is interested, I even allow a Mage with a specific POWER OF MAGIC SKILL named "Power of Khaine" (1 to 3).

By the way, I don't mind at all having druchii male mages. Morathi would not mind to test one of them since they are likely to die before the end of week 3...

So, if the character is a mage, his minimum I is 4. All the stats have a maximum at 5, not 6 as yours. :?

As a Mage, your starting equipment is a staff and something else. The staff is NOT considered as a magic staff... yet.
With the staff, you could take either a dagger or a short sword (using WS) or thrown daggers or short bow (using D).
Not much choice!

As a Mage, you have two starting skills.
One must be your power of magic skill (1).
I don't want to see dual magic powers. So your second skill should be a general skill, or a weapon mastery skill.

Overall, could you change slightly your character as follows?
Everything perfect except:
• Character Class: Mage (mandatory for this game)
• Character Statistics: WS4, S2, T3, D4, I5 (I traded -1 I for +1 T)
• Starting Equipment: Mace, Dagger(OK to replace the staff with a mace - still only 2 equipments, no armour for Mages).
• Starting Skills: Power of Khaine (1) (replaced Shadows by Khaine: the ceremonial duties made Metarchis sort of an acolyte in the ceremonial - also, Metarchis obviously is watched directly by Khaine).
Another SP1 Skill is to be chosen. Given the background of your character, Urban Lore could be appropriate, whereas Basic Stealth, Endurance, Evasion, Forgery, or Ride could be chosen as well.
• Inauspicious Day: Monday (the day of the Moon - Khaine doesn't like the moon) - Dedicated Day: Thursday (the Day of Thor)I asked to specify which day of the week is inauspicious (-1 for casting) and which one is dedicated (+1 for casting).
• Consecrated place: Cauldron of Bloodyour first task will be to build a CoB in the island. It may be a smaller version of the battle one!
• Starting Components: 4 slave's skulls - 2 Skins of sacrificed cold one lizard - 1 eye of ritually sacrificed dragon4 mundane components, 2 precious components, 1 unnatural component, which will be destroyed if you use them.

GENERIC CHARACTER SUMMARY:
• Name: this one should be pretty self explanatory.
• Sex: Male or female
• Height: the elven average is a little taller than for humans.
• Weight: stones, pounds, kilograms, it is all the same to us.
• Appearance: What does your character look like?
• Character Class: you must choose Mage.
• Character Statistics: WS n - S n - T n - D n - I n. Your minimum Intelligence has to be 4. Total 18.
• Starting Equipment: 2EP - You must select a staff (1EP), and may not select armour.
• Starting Skills: 2 Skill Points. You must take a single one power of magic xx (1)skill for SP1, and a general or weapon mastery skill for SP1.
• Character Background: as you like. It would be nice to relate how you were enlisted in The Magic Reality Show: volunteer or captured?
• Character Ambitions: as you like. Anyway, your next two skills will be your Power of Magic (2) and the same Power of Magic (3).
• Inauspicious Day: NNday (-1 to cast on inauspicious day).
• Dedicated Day: XXday.(+1 to cast on dedicated day).
• Consecrated place: (your first task will be to build it in the island).
• Starting Components: 4 mundane - 2 precious - 1 unnatural. (they can be used when you wish to enhance your chances of casting successfully - they will be destroyed in the process).
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Red...'s FAQ:
Test casting. I'll comment directly in cyan.

Spell: Mystifying Miasma.If it had been a new spell, you could give it your name : Metarchis' rodent dance. 8)
Target: Small rodent.
Expected effect: Stupify the rat and make it stumble about for a few minutes. That's nicely in the spirit of the rulebook's spell.

Metarchis takes a small rodent and grasps it in his hand, holding it tightly even as it tries to squirm away. He brandishes his dagger and traces out the word 'Miasma' in the air, He then traces the dagger's tip along the back of the rat, not quite forcefully enough to penetrate it's skin, and then blows softly onto it, whispering the word: 'Mystify'. He then releases the rat back onto the floor and watches it to see what happens.
Awesome! :P That's easily worth the +1 to cast awarded by the Mod for a nice fluff.

A: +0 (influence)
It could be considered as a movement spell (+1) because you force the rat to remain around, even if the stumbles are not perfectly reflected.
It could be considered as a command (-1) if you "ordered" the rat to stumble and he has no choice else to obey.
Influence (+0) is what you would suggest the rat to do but he would be free to make up his mind (and may refuse).
Here, I consider that the rat is free to go where he wants, but at your will, you make him stumble with small magic pushes. You need to concentrate on each fumble, probably by making a movement with your hand, but I won't impose a minimal distance.
Therefore, I make the spell A: +1, i.e. better for you! :)

B: +1 (well known spell: Shadow lore signature spell) Yes!
C: +1 (localised to affecting one rat) You can hold the rat in your hand, so it is a handful of rats. +1 indeed.
D: +2 (able to touch with both hands) Yes
E: +1 (short term affect of just a few minutes) Yes
F: -2 (level 1 skill level only) Yes
G: +0 (stable place, but not hallowed) Yes
H: +0 (Metarchis has had a good 10 minutes to prepare, but is not going to have spent longer than that for such a simple spell!) Yes, I won't fuss if there are a few minutes more or less.
I: -1 (the dagger is playing a magical role, I suppose this might not be enough and it should be -2 though?) No component is destroyed. The dagger is not your magic wand. So -2 indeed rather than -1.
J: -1 (Metarchis is whispering and making small motions) Yes
K: -1 (mild side effects desired)
You have not the choice for the side-effect. It idepends on your previous choices.
Before taking into account the side effect, the total was:
A+1 B+1 C+1 D+2 E+1 F-2 G+0 H+0 I-2 J-1 = +1. (I took the correct numbers A+1 and I-2)
The side effect must be +0 detrimental (see below) for a final total of +1.

If you had a magic wand instead of your dagger (or if the Mod knows that your dagger is magic), then the total before side effect would be +2 and the side effect would be mild indeed, for a new total of +1 to cast.

Total: 0 If you're confused about which numbers to choose, I can do it for you or provide advice. All I really need to undrestand as a Mod is what you wish to do.
So here, the most important is the spell's expected effects, from which I can determine myself what value to give to A, B, C...
If you are confident to provide your own values, that's better.

I'm a bit confused as to how these modifiers interact with the spell to be cast. Do you cast on a 3+ normally on one dice, and then add modifiers (in your example you had a -1 modifier, so cast on a 4+) or how does it work?
I, as the RPG Mod, will toss a die.
You need 3+, but you have a bonus of +1 to cast, plus another bonus of +1 for good roleplaying. The bonus is added to the dice roll.
With such bonuses, rolling 1 is fail, 2 to 6 is success!
Let's say I rolled a 6, that is an extreme success, I will allow you to roleplay your rat at you wish as an extra: you can move it around where you wish, make him jump, step on its forehands...

Next comes the side effect. It will last as long as the spell (detrimental).
I roll a dice.
If I roll a 6... oops, that's a miscast because of the previous 6, making it a double 6. But for a such a tiny spell, I will decide as a Mod that only the rat will explode... after one minute (because it is funnier). Poor little rodent... :x
That explains why you will have to roleplay with a lot of aggressiveness for the next 6 minutes of the game (the result of the side effect was 6 = aggressiveness).
As you see, "detrimental" is not that bad... when it doesn't last too long.

Also, I'm a little bit concerned that my character is going to struggle to cast much of anything with the current setup. I am attempting to cast the most basic of all shadow spells in a stable environment on a single target and still only have a 0 modifier to do so. Will you tweak this if it becomes clear that we are struggling to cast things?
Yes! See above.
Naturally, a mere Level 1 should be wary to cast only easy spells, or to do it on their altar, during a consecrated day, with a lot of preparation, using precious components and the whole body...
Had you been a Level 3 for the same spell, you would have cast it at +3 instead of +1 with pleasant side effect and no miscast, instead of detrimental side effect. Now you know how powerful you want to be!

Here, a little bit more about how to determine which side effect will be chosen (I can do it for you each time, that's easy).

If the total without side effect is +4 (or more), the side effect will be -2=pleasant, for a new total casting bonus of +2 (or more).
If the total without side effect is +3, the side effect will be -1=mild for a new total casting bonus of +2
If the total without side effect is +2, the side effect will be -1=mild for a new total casting bonus of +1
If the total without side effect is +1, the side effect will be +0=detrimental for a new total casting bonus of +1
If the total without side effect is +0, the side effect will be +0=detrimental for a new total casting bonus of +0
If the total without side effect is -1, the side effect will be +0=detrimental for a new total casting malus of -1
If the total without side effect is -2, the side effect will be +1=terrible for a new total casting malus of -1
If the total without side effect is -3, the side effect will be +1=terrible for a new total casting malus of -2
If the total without side effect is -4 (or worse), the side effect will be +2=miscast for a new total casting malus of -2 (or worse).

Summary: you divide the total by two, round down. That's how far you get closer to +0.
Try an easy spell with lots of precautions, concentration and magic stuff, you'll get no miscast.
Try a hard spell with just a snap in your finger, the miscast is guaranteed.

Anybody else cares for a try? :D

Let's suppose you had a limb missing from a former miscast. :x
You can restore it with magic! :D
Your magic Lore is Death. You're level 1.
You take all your time, that's the perfect dedicated day, you consider to sacrifice your only unnatural slave for the process, your altar is ready, nobody will bother you for a while and you prepared for that for more than 40 days (all Mages prepare for a missing limb, don't they?).
But how can Death Magic restore a limb? Take your imagination and explain how your slave's vital life is going to regrow your missing limb.

<Hint: if you don't want to remain in cataplexy for the rest of your life, then I suggest to make the average between casting with an inspired dance (J+1), but allowing a mere sporadic concentration thereafter (J-1). The average is (J+0)>.
The answer is written here below in black. If you select it, the highlight will reveal it.

ANSWER
Spell: regrow a limb. target: own missing limb. Expected effects: limb regrown.
A. +0 healing. B. -2 totally new (for Death Lore - it would be easier for Life). C. -1 missing limb, chirurgical precision. D. +2 touch with all remaining hands. E. -2 eternal.
F. -2 for level 1. G. +1 for right place, right time. H. +1 for 12 hours of casting. I. +1 Sacrifice the unnatural component. J. +1-1=0: Shout and dance... but a light concentration is all you can afford.
As it totals presently -2, the side effect will be +1, terrible (and permanent!) for a final casting modifier of -1.
If your description was really fluffy, you would get another +1 for a casting modifier of 0, and the spell would be cast on 3+ on the d6. Not bad.
But yes, you are likely to get permanent stinking or permanent exhaustion. Life is harsh for mere Level 1. But you could try next week another spell: supress permanent stinking...

When you discover what a mere Level 1 can do, you'll be astonished! :shock:
Of course, this task is easier for Life Lore. Metal Lore would grow a mechanic limb. Dark Lore would invoque a tentacle. Fire Lore could grow a flaming sword, so why not a (hot) limb? Other Lores, that's less obvious but you see the spirit.
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Thanks Calisson! Yes, very happy with your suggested changes :) I've made the recommended edits to my character profile above.

Thanks as well for the comments on spellcasting - that clears up all my confusion :) So from now on I'll just describe the three top level things (spell name, expected effects and target) and leave the numbers to you, unless as you say, I am certain of myself (which I probably won't be).

Anyway, I guess my character creation is done, so I'll look forward to the game beginning in due course :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I for one am also confused, but I'm willing to try it. I'll better understand by playing than by having it explained to me, after all.

• Name: Kairus
• Height: 6ft 8''
• Weight: 10st
• Appearance: Kairus has amber coloured eyes and long, wild black hair, some of which is braided. Grey feathers are tied into these braids, the same style of feathers which also adorn his cloak and the haft of his hunting bow. His face is weathered and criss crossed with old scars, the most notable of which is the slit in his left ear where a creature once tried to take his head. He is fairly tall even for a Druchii, and has a strong build. His staff is a gnarled oakroot with a small amber crystal at the top.

• Character Statistics: WS3 - S4 - T3 - D4 - I4.
• Starting Equipment: Staff, Short Bow
• Starting Skills: Power of Ghur (1) and Wilderness Lore

• Character Background: Kairus was born in the wild. His mother was formerly a member of one of the mountains' Shade clans, but was exiled after an encounter with a questing mercenary, a devout follower of Kurnous, saw her fall pregnant. His mother fled to the nearby forests, and there she built them a home deep in a cave, where she raised him for the first twenty years of his life. Even then, Kairus learned quickly and became a swift and proficient hunter. Soon after however, his mother went missing and did not return, and still a young boy Kairus had to fend for himself. It was in the years to come that the boy learned to talk to the beasts of the wood, and when he next encountered a Druchii he was an acomplished practitioner of the arcane art of Ghur. His mothers knowledge of the wild and his fathers belief of the hunting god combined, Kairus soon became a budding beastmaster ranger, helping those who needed it and would pay sufficiently through the woods unharmed. Recently, one such hooded rogue claimed to require safe passage to the other side, but after making camp with her the first night, Kairus awoke on the island...

• Character Ambitions: furthering Power of Ghur and Wilderness Lore.
• Inauspicious Day: Saturday - Dedicated Day: Monday.
• Consecrated Place: Standing in the tracks of a great beast.
• Starting Components: 4 raven feathers, 2 cold one claws and 1 hydras tooth.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Name: Kaladeth
Sex: Female
Height: 6’5
Weight: 75Kg

Appearance:
Silver white hair, a messed tangle that goes half way down her back and it usually free and allowed to whip across her face. Her eyes are large and dark green, inviting others to gaze upon her beauty but once they do they see the vivid strangeness of her face. Her face is angular with high cheekbones and a large forehead that is usually covered with her hair that falls across her face and makes her look slightly “wild” in appearance. Her only blemish is a faint scar that runs from the corner of her mouth to her right cheek. She received the scar from a magical backlash many years ago when she attempted to further her understanding of the Power of Dhar magic. She is robed in simple attire, dark blue robes that cover her torso but exposing her thighs at the same time. Pale white skin accompanies her hair, shocking most people at the strangeness of the colour combination, making her look like she is chilled to the bone almost.

Character Class: Mage
Character Statistics: WS3 – S3 – T3 – D4 – I5
Starting Equipment: Staff, Dagger
Starting Skills: Power of Dhar (1) and Wilderness Lore

Character Background: Born to a failing merchant, Kala was not destined for much in life. Her father, a once handsome, budding slave trader had fallen on hard times in his last century, losing almost all of his livestock to the storm ravaged sea’s of the dreaded straits of the Sea of Malice. Living in poverty for a good number of years, her father was the only person she knew and loved. Kaladeth’s mother and her father’s wife was rumoured to be one of the sorceress’s of the convents, but this was never proven or talked about between Kala and her father for a good number of years. In truth, her mother was a sorceress of one of the convents, having taking in many male playthings and concubines over the years, one just so happening to be called Yorl, Kaladeth’s father. Unfortunately, Kaledeth was the result of the brief romance and they were hurriedly whisked away to Har Graef and away from the prying eyes of anyone who might wish to link them together. While Yorl and his Kala were forced to stay together in the first few months of her birth, her mother bided her time and waited until they were both assail the one ship. Conjuring up her magic’s, she visited a foul storm upon Yorl’s ship, sinking most of his other ships in the process. Luckily, they were saved by Yorl’s fine captaining skill’s which led them out of the storm but at the cost of leaving most of the other ships behind. Thinking the storm natural, Yorl and Kaladeth settled down in Har Graef and attempted to rebuild their lives, thinking none the less of the sorceress who had just attempted to kill them both. Years have passed and Yorl is still trying to pick up the pieces of his business but is slowly starting to see that it is a fruitless venture. Kaladeth on the other hand, has stuck close with her father and has attempted to help run his business. Unsuccessful in all regards, save for the occasional moment where they have fended off minor families attempts to muscle in on their market by some strange source of unknown power, Yorl has succumbed to the bottle and is now a ruined drunkard. Still only a child at the age of sixty, Kaladeth is informed that her father has fallen ill and she goes into his room to check upon him. In a fit of high fever and drunkenness, Yorl revealed her mother’s name as well as her position in society. For Kaladeth, this is was a surprise out of the blue, yet it did start to explain her strange affinity with the Power of Dhar.

Yorl eventually recovered from his fever but it left him a nervous wreck. Now he was reduced to a scheming recluse, forever shut up in his room, planning and calculating his next move. Decades passed and Kaladeth furthered her research and understanding of the Power of Dhar, receiving her first and only scar when she attempted to cast a spell upon a tree out in the surrounding forests of Har Graef. She spent a lot of her time out in the wilderness, looking for sprites and entities of magic. She learned to walk the dangerous roads of the forest in relative safety and grew to understand the Naggarothi wildlife and local fauna. One night she had returned to her father’s side after a day of studying malicious spirits by an ancient gravesite. Yorl had left his room for a drink and Kaladeth was given the rare opportunity to ask her father about her mother. Looking at his daughter, Yorl paused momentarily as he studied her features and within his disease racked mind a plan began to form. A cruel smile spread across his face before he sat down with Kaladeth and told her everything he knew about her mother. He told her where to find her, what she looked like, what she and himself had done in the past, any detail he could remember he laid upon Kaladeth. At the end of all this, Kaladeth was shocked with what she had learnt but she kept this to herself, rather than channelling any anger towards her mother, she bottled it up.

After that night’s conversation’s, Yorl had begun to have horrific nightmares of unknown terrors of chaos visited upon him. While most people claimed it was the booze and his poor state of mind, Yorl continued to scream Kaladeth’s mothers name over and over. It had taken him years of living with the diseases but he finally figured out what was causing all his miseries. Cursing her name, Yorl awoke from a bout of terrible fits and chaotic visions of death and despair and ran out into the street, Kaladeth following him in an attempt to calm him and return her father back to bed. The chase lasted only a few minutes, Yorl running straight down to the Har Graef dockyards which they lived relatively close by to. Before Kaladeth could stop him, Yorl had hurled himself into a Hydra cage and was quickly and assuredly ripped limb from limb before Kaladeth’s very eyes. Her father’s madness had boggled her for many years, but it was only when she witnessed Yorl being ripped to pieces by a Hydra, screaming her mother’s name as he did so, that she finally understood her predicament. Cursing her mother’s name and mourning her father’s death, Kaladeth enrolled with a local corsair group, lending her skills with magic and her knowledge of the surrounding wilderness to their party. It is now many years on and she had earned enough money and made enough contacts through her corsair friends to allow her to get under the radar tutelage from a male sorcerer who worked out of the Har Graef dockyards. It is here she had developed her skills to what she is today and now she thirsts for her mother’s revenge.

Character Ambitions:
Furthering her study of the Power of Dhar so she may become a renowned sorceress of considerable power and knowledge so she can avenge her father.
Inauspicious Day: Saturday (It was a Saturday when her father died)
Dedicated Day: Tuesday (the night of the storm where she and her father survived)

Consecrated Place:
A place where there is a gathering of sprites and spirits at a secluded monument that entices the winds of the warp.

Starting Components: 4 phials of elven blood, 2 lumps of her father’s flesh, 1 bottled sacrificial sprite

So what do you think Cal? Does this work/fit in with the requirements? I wrote up the background fairly quickly and I can refine it if you think it needs it.
Last edited by Khel on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kinslayer wrote:I'll better understand by playing than by having it explained to me, after all.
That's the whole meta-purpose of this game! ;)

@ Kinslayer: Perfect description (I did not expect less from the famous "Roleplaying Deity").
Comments:
- If you consider a walrus to be a "great beast", that would fit Day 1's quest. It will still require some kind of consecration ceremony (if you don't want the walrus to come back on its tracks at the worst moment, hehe).
- Considering that the hydra tooth is enchanted (as in DE Army Book), that would make it as "unnatural" as required.

@ Khel: Compliments as well for the exquisite description and spot on character sheet.
Comments:
- I assumed Power of Dhar is about Dark Lore.
- the first task will be to get your own consecrated place. If ever you don't find one on the island, you will have to build your own sprite's cozy nest and see if it attracts them (casting a spell will help).

EDITed line: @ Dalamar, below: top class!

- Magic Lores represented:
Aqshy (Fire): Marcelus Lycanius (smiler666)
Ghur (Beast): Kairus (Kinslayer)
Hysh (Light):
Chamon (Metal):
Ghyran (Life):
Azyr (Heavens):
Ulgu (Shadows): Vaelreth Velkyn (Dalamar)
Shyish (Death): Arhast Kynthan (Malus99)
Dhar (Dark): Kaladeth (Khel)
Khaine’s cult: Metarchis Avax (Red...)

:D Now recruiting 2 or 1 more Mages. :D
I will proceed anyway at latest next Sunday with the first post of the game, adapting to the number of Mages present.
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Yeah it is Dark Lore, just thought I might as well start referring to it as its proper name and start looking up all the different spells and their history/names/attributes/possible method’s of conjuration if I'm going to have to start casting these spells with attention to detail.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

• Name: Vaelreth Velkyn
• Sex: Female
• Height: 5'9"
• Weight: 120lb
• Appearance:
Vaelreth bears a strange appearance among the Druchii, her magic has changed her, turning her skin inky black. Her eyes, orbs of dark blue peer out, examining everything cautiously. She wears her hair long, below her waist and dyed in strands of purple and black.
Similarly her robes bear the same colors, at least in the parts where there are actual robes as her garb is revealing even for a sorceress of the Druchii, thick shadows clinging to her body where cloth fails to cover more intimate areas.
She bears a staff made from pure black iron, slightly longer than she is tall. The implement is topped with a dark purple crystal which seems to absorb light. Hidden under her belt is a short blowpipe for those rare occasions when use of magic is not required to deal with a problem.

• Character Class: Mage.
• Character Statistics: WS - 2, S - 3, T - 3, D - 5, I - 5
• Starting Equipment: Staff, Blowpipe
• Starting Skills: Power of Ulgu, Basic Stealth

• Character Background:
Vaelreth came to this world in a Druchii merchant family, her gift in controlling the winds of magic was discovered at a young age and she was forcefully taken from her parents and inducted into one of the Covens of Sorceresses.
As the years passed, she has shown great promise in manipulating and channeling the power of Ulgu, which combined with her natural affinity for being unseen allowed her to enter places and witness things she weren't meant to be at or see.
One fateful night she stumbled upon chambers of a Mistress and heard incantations coming from within. She snuck inside and witnessed her Mistress attempting to summon an Incarnate Elemental of Death. Vaelreth knew what success meant, the Mistress would obtain unimagined power and would easily rule the entire Coven. Her Druchii instincts awakening, she summoned her skills in controlling the shadows and sent them skittering and leaping across the chamber's walls. Their sudden appearace was enough to distract the Mistress, one skipped syllable and the powerful spell collapsed unto itself, hurling the Supreme Sorceress against a wall, breaking her back instantly.
Vaelreth was caught in the blast as well unfortunately, but her fate was yet to be determined for when she woke up, she was in a tent, all her belongings with her and some sort of tournament about to start with her as a contestant.
She looked among her opponents and smirked slightly, confident that with enough trickery and shadows she would be able to best them easily.

• Character Ambition: Mastery of the Power of Ulgu so she might one day become one with the shadows, going where she will, seen and stopped by none, seeing all she wishes.
• Inauspicious Day: Sunday - Dedicated Day: Wednesday
• Consecrated Place: Where the shadows are thickest.
• Starting Components: 4 clumps of shadowcat fur, 2 powdered dark pegasus horns and 1 essence of the deepest shadows.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Do we need to explain how we got onto the island or our previous actions before we awoke on the island in our character details? Or should we do that in our very first posts?

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The first challenge.

Today is Monday.
Before the end of the day, each of you must have built an appropriate place for casting his magic. A pentacle, an altar, whatever. Use rocks or logs.
Don't forget to consecrate it with the appropriate spell (it is necessary to make it become "magic"). The consecration can last a year, or you can consecrate it daily, your choice. You’ll need it sometimes throughout the week.
Carry on!

Are we supposed to be doing this this week? Or was this just a sample to give us a sense of what we may be required to do next week?

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Dalamar, perfect. I edited my post above.
@ Khel, relate it in your character's background. What you have written so far provides enough information to guess the missing scene.

If I understand correctly,
Metarchis Avax seems to have been "lended with no end of term" by his covenant,
Kairus was subdued,
Kaladeth could just have accepted one more mercenary offer (one too many?),
Vaelreth Velkyn looks like to just have been discreetely banished from her covens.
Kaleth Silverjaw's agents are doing a good job. That's perfect for an "experiment" which is not meant to be too widely publicized. :twisted:

For the gaming thread, I intend to copy/paste all your character sheets into the first post "presentation of the participants",
and to follow by a copy/paste of the first post of the present thread with minor adjustments.

For the gaming procedure, I mentioned the "single post, no edit, early posts advantaged" policy.
Of course, your single post should specify "what if" (if the spell fails, do you wish to try again?).
Of course, several spells can be cast during the same day, not necessarily related to the day's quest (when the job is completed, you may wish to explore the island or your magic abilities).
With this policy, posts are considered in sequence, your characters had a chance to witness what is already described, before they start anything.
A problem could be that a later poster tries to interfere with an earlier poster. In that case, the RPG Mod could have the guards react and prevent the interference.
Or, if it is worth roleplaying, we could stop temporarily that policy and proceed with a classic RPG policy, multiple posts allowed, edit allowed, no more speed advantage. If someones dies in the process, "the pit" becomes no longer necessary. If you want to proceed in such way during a day's quest, please mention it clearly in your quest's post, I'll see how it can be done.
That's what RPG Mods are for, aren't they?
The normal procedure would be resumed the next day.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

• Name: Arhast Kynthan
• Height: 5’6”
• Weight: 106 lb
• Appearance: Arhast is a diminutive young Druchii with skin the colour of a corpse left out in the snow. Short and thin, he wears body-hugging garments for economy of movement that further exaggerate his small form. His clothes are a swirling mix of deep purples, midnight blues and charcoal blacks. His staff is a jagged-edged spear of metal three-quarters his height which he can use to great effect in combat, which has often come as a nasty surprise to those who think wizards are no good up-close and personal. Arhast’s face is ferrety in appearance, with gaunt, angular cheekbones and a chin sharper than some swords. His brief shock of hair is a dirty brown (which may originally have been black) and his eyes are a dull, listless blue. When he has cause to smile Arhast reveals a maw like a shark’s, full of teeth filed to razor points, and the fingernails attached to the end of long, spiderlike fingers are likewise honed to needle-points.

• Character Statistics: WS5, S2, T1, D5, I5

• Starting Equipment: Staff, Set of 4 Throwing daggers

• Starting Skills: Power of Shyish (1) Basic Stealth

• Inauspicious Day: Sunday
Dedicated Day: Saturday

• Consecrated place: Shade haunt (a hidey hole in a cave somewhere that is filled with the shades of lost spirits bound to the location with chains of midnight. It is very hard to find, very dark, and also quite peaceful, once you get used to the ceaseless whisperings and muted wails of despair.)

• Starting Components:
4 shrunken heads (shrinking them makes them much easier to carry around.)

2 bottles of spirits (spirits as in the souls of people Arhast has killed. Obviously.)

1 shard of Nightsteel (A fragment of steel shattered and then melded with the souls of captives freshly slaughtered, before being forged anew into a splinter of Night and quenched in the heart-blood of an elven maid, giving physical form to the darkness in a painstaking ritual that took many months and culminated during the last great eclipse, to date it is Arhast’s greatest work.)

• Character Background: Arhast was the lowborn son of a guard and a female corsair, conceived when his mother was on shore leave in a seedy pleasure den where his parents decided to spend the night deriving pleasure from pleasure, as opposed to pleasure from torture (they were a strange couple). His mother, displaying all the maternal skills of a particularly negligent anaconda, gave birth to him, then promptly stuffed the baby into his father’s arms and set sail on the next ship out of port. His father did what he could to raise him over the next few years, and whilst he was pleased by his son's penchant for the malicious and cruel torture of everything more tiny than himself, he was concerned by how small and weak the child was. On Arhast’s 10th birthday his father was moved to a new posting in another city, and decided not to take his son with him.
Soon afterwards Arhast fell in with a group of like-minded young orphans who collectively managed to steal enough to keep themselves alive, Arhast proved a valuable addition to the group thanks to his small size and natural agility, and he soon turned into an expert thief.
The band of orphans grew up together, a bond of friendship growing between them over time, of course this didn’t stop them betraying and killing each other when the opportunity arose, but they did hold a healthy respect for each other’s abilities and had enough good sense to know there is safety in numbers. It was at this time that Arhast’s magical abilities first began to appear, they grew slowly, almost without him noticing, but over time they gained strength until one day one of his fellows attempted to murder him in a back alley and ended up dead himself. Whilst the death did not particularly trouble Arhast, he had seen plenty in his time, his companions weren’t quite so happy about hanging around with an elf that could kill with a touch and wasn’t entirely in control of his own powers, so Arhast struck out on his own before someone got up the nerve to try and dispose of him.
Since then Arhast has turned his talents for stealth and being quick with a knife from simple thievery to assassination, hiring out his talents to those without enough coin to hire a professional. This gave him adequate opportunity to practice his abilities with the wind of Shyish, and his incomes from his day (or should that be night?) job are nicely supplemented with the odd burglary or mugging so that he can live fairly comfortably, or as comfortably as anyone can live when they have to go to sleep with an entire armoury’s worth of knives under their pillow ‘just in case’.

• Character Ambitions: To improve his assassination abilities, through magic as well as more conventional means.

Also he wants to kill Dalamar for stealing the shadow lore halfway through Arhast being written. Damn shadow ninja mages, Grrrr :twisted:
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

• Name: Marcelus Lycanius
• Height: 6'6"
• Weight: 13 stone
• Appearance: Powerfully built for a druchii, his face and ears are also less angular than most druchii's, reflecting his mixed parentage. He is fierce looking, partly due to his abnormal build, but also because of the ruddy, brazen tone of his skin and his hair which is long, unkempt, and often singed at the ends. Marcelus wears unadorned red and orange robes in the style of the imperial college mages, while still remaining suitable druchii by keeping the pomp and ceremony to a minimum. Over these robes he often wears a large, thick leather apron covered in pockets full of various explosives and their components, both magic and mundane.
• Character Statistics: WS4 - S4 - T3 - D2 - I5
• Starting Equipment: Staff, Shortbow
• Starting Skills: Power of Aqshy (1), Alchemy
• Character Background: Marcelus was born the half breed son of a travelling druchii alchemist and a human forgemaster's assistant, and was left a bastard after his father returned to naggaroth before Marcelus was born. Growing up he was an outcast, ostracised for his abnormal features and the part-true rumours of his parentage, this mistrust and hatred was the beginning of Marcelus's obsession with self improvement. He apprenticed hisself to his mother's master as soon as he was old enough to hold a hammer, and was fascinated by the fires of the forge he worked near-constantly at and the flames seemed to respond to his interest. It wasn't long until the college of mages noticed Marcelus's unusual talent, he was whisked away to the Bright College and instructed in the ways of the lore of Aqshy and in his instruction he excelled. However even among the mages Marcelus was an outcast, as the elder wizards feared his heritage and what might happen if he gained too much power, but Marcelus had developed a taste for the ability to control fire, and more exactly explosions, so left the empire and bartered passage to Naggaroth from a very drunk captain with a chip on his shoulder. The voyage was far from uneventful, and ended with the ship being sunk off the shore of the lands of chill, but Marcelus survived and during the hunt for his father he came across something called the Magic Reality Show and decided it would be a fine opportunity to prove hisself as he hadn't managed to to those fools in the old world.
• Character Ambitions: In the short term, make/barter/steal/buy/win a blackpowder weapon, and make stuff go boom; overarchingly, to prove hisself as more than just a half-breed, advance his own and his lore's magic, and make to stuff go boom
• Inauspicious Day: Monday
• Dedicated Day: Thursday
• Consecrated place: magically suspended above the mouth of an active volcanoe, or if none are available then anywhere open and sandy/savannah-y where the winds of magic blow strong
• Starting Components: 4 fireflies trapped in small vials, a nugget of raw amber, a nugget of raw topaz (both minerals are my 'precious' ingredients, so's you know), and a spark of living flame
Last edited by Smiler666 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

- Magic Lores represented:
Aqshy (Fire): Marcelus Lycanius (smiler666)
Ghur (Beast): Kairus (Kinslayer)
Hysh (Light):
Chamon (Metal):
Ghyran (Life):
Azyr (Heavens):
Ulgu (Shadows): Vaelreth Velkyn (Dalamar)
Shyish (Death): Arhast Kynthan (Malus99)
Dhar (Dark): Kaladeth (Khel)
Khaine’s cult: Metarchis Avax (Red...)

It seems to attract the interest of serious RPG addicts!
@ Malus99 & Dalamar & smiler666: I see that you understand what the bonus for early posters means! ;)

:D Now recruiting 2 or 1 more Mages! :D

Still available:
Hysh (Light) - Chamon (Metal) - Ghyran (Life) - Azyr (Heavens).

I will proceed with the first post of the game at latest next Sunday, for 6 to 8 Mages, or earlier if 8 Mages are available.

P.S. I edited the miscast paragraph in the magic system. Now you know what I mean exactly by miscast.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

I would like to register my interest, I will go and make a character for approval this evening if that's allowed?

I don't suppose Lightning falls under any of those lores still available?

Syjahel
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~