Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Quest in the West

Post by Calisson »

<OOC:
@ Kinslayer, Drainial, Khel
DON’T CHEAT with the other’s expedition.
Please don’t look yet at this thread as long as you’re involved in the expedition in the East.

@ smiler666, Dalamar, Red...
This is the ocntinuation of The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) – Third challenge (continued)
Moderation of this thread:
- When all three players have posted once, I post.
- After 36 hours without posts, I post, regardless whether everyone has posted or not.

>IC

Three Candidates were ready to head for a Quest in the West:
Representing Aqshy, a sulfur smelling, bald smith: Marcelus Lycanius
For Ulgu, a spasm prone Covens sorceress: Vaelreth Velkyn
In the name of Khaine’s cult, a childish, deaf eared, occasionally sweating priest of blood: Metarchis Avax

-=-=-

The day had begun already. Even in this season, it would last no more than 15 hours.
The three candidates would better make sure not to forget anything before they departed the village.
And where would they go exactly?
They looked at the mountains in the West. The access seemed uneasy. A creek could be seen, coming from a valley. Would it lead to any harpy nest? Did they nest on peaks? In valleys?
What seemed initially to be a joke could prove to be a challenge indeed.

Carry on!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Vaelreth returned to the hut to collect her belongings and went to the western end of the ramshackle village, waiting for the rest of her little group. As soon as they arrived she looked over at the mountains.

"I suggest we climb to the peaks. Harpies hunt from above and unless someone can make us all fly, that's the highest we can get. Hopefully that will be enough to be above their nests. They won't be ready for an attack coming from above them"

With those words she started towards the mountains, expecting the other two to keep up with her.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Metarchis watched as his short term partner from the Lore of Shadow began hiking hastily up the hill. He grinned childishly and set out to follow. After several steps he did a kartwheel, and giggled to himself. He then turned back to look at their recalcitrant third member:

"C'mon baldy, we haven't got all day!"

Watching the Shadow Mage pick up her pace, Metarchis increased his to match. They were now setting off at quite a speed, and he could feel himself sweating from the effort - perhaps more than normal. He lost his footing for a moment, tripped over an inconveniently placed molehill and tumbled onto the floor. Dazed for a moment, he found his vision fading as he lay on the ground, staring upwards:

He was looking into a different, but strangely familiar scene. He could see Malekith standing on a stage in a room, a stool located just behind him, a wooden table with a glass of water on it off to one side, and a microphone in his hand. At first his words sounded blurred, but after a couple of moments his hearing adjusted and he could make it out:

"So, a High Elf, a Wood Elf and a Dark Elf are sitting in a tavern..."

Oh no... It's the Malekith Christmas special! What did I ever do to deserve this?

His groan blocked out the punchline, but Malekith was talking again:

"Why did the chaos chicken cross the road?

Kill me now, kill me now, kill me now

"Because I told it to."

The joke was met with silence, followed by the sound of a blade being unsheathed, a startled yelp from somewhere in front of the stage, and then nervous, forced laughter.

"How many lanterns does it take to change a High Elf? Wait, I mean, how many changes does it take to...No wait, really, I'll get this. How many High Elves does it take to lantern a..."

Please, please, make it stoppp

Drawing up all of his remaining strength, Metarchis forced himself to pull up his hand in real life, draw it upwards and slap himself hard in the face. As he did so, the vision began to recede and the voice of Malekith became slowly quieter and quieter.

"How can you tell if there's been a Nauglir in the ice storage cave? There'll be footprints in the blood paste!"

Focusing hard, he could make out the sky again. He stood up, and wiped the sweat away that had been running off from his brow. Looking around he surveyed the bleak peaks and desolate cliffs around him. He couldn't remember ever seeing a more beautiful sight. Realising he had fallen slightly behind, he took off at a brisk pace and soon caught up with his two temporary allies once more.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

STEP 1: The village.

None of the three had a clue to where harpy nests could be found.
Realizing that the task was hardly achievable in so little time with so little knowledge, the three Candidates departed immediately towards the mountains across the plain.
Confident in their magic, they did not bring along any extra material besides their new magic objects and a few components.

As they arrived at the outskirts of the village, the sorceress stopped, showing a worried face. Had they got sun cream? Mufflers? Would there be anyone out there in the mountain, who to ask for their path? Of course, these considerations could have been raised only by a female city dweller.
Eager to proceed on, her comrades looked in the sky but they could not see any sight of a harpy.

Next will come STEP 2: The plain.

Would they just aim at the closest valley? At what pace would they walk across the peat bogs?
The mouth of the valley seemed close, somewhere like half an hour’s walk.

<OOC: If you need to do anything more in the village, fine.
If not, proceed!

@ Red: I need to find out an antidote! :lol: >IC
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

OOC: sorry about not posting for the first modpost. Also Cal, I think we headed for the mountains not the valley; the sorceress led the way; and while I'm sure it makes your job easier, giving both groups identical modposts makes it seem as though you aren't paying attention to what we are actually posting. Just saying.

Marcelus realised he had taken too long to gather his things in the hut when he heard the khainites voice from outside taunting his newfound lack of hair, he ran his hand over his shiny scalp and chuckled as he finally stepped outside to see the others had a good start on him. He started to jog, hoping to catch the others before they decided he wasn't worth waiting for, he needn't have worried though as he passed the khainite lying on the ground groaning after a few moments and caught up with the shadowmistress soon after. "So what's the plan Vaelreth? If these harpies are anything like the carrion birds in the empire then they would build thier nests up high in the hills," glancing up Marcelus noticed the path they were following, "ah, I see I am preaching to the proverbial choir, I'll just be quiet then." Happy to let the sorceress lead the way for now he fell into step beside her and watched the world go by.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC
Q. giving both groups identical modposts
A. How do you know? :shock:
The idea is to give as much as possible identical chances. The plot is already written except the conclusion.
I'd like also to try and keep a similar pace between the two teams, if feasible.

Q. we headed for the mountains not the valley
A. "The access seemed uneasy. A creek could be seen, coming from a valley."
What I have in mind is the introduction post to TMRS: "Most of the island consists in cliffs and bare rocks.
South of the island, a single narrow plain is the only lowland. Mostly flat with a few low irregular rocky risings, it is shaped like a crescent, between mountain and beach. A few creeks come from the mountains."

There is the situation.
You start from the village, near the beach.
It takes 1/2 hour to cross the plain and reach the mountain.
The part of the mountain facing the village is a cliff. On the East and on the West, there are two valleys cutting an access in the cliff, which is easier and does not take any longer.

So, of course, you're heading towards the mountains.
Necessarily, you need to walk at least 1/2 hour in the peat log plain (not what I call a valley).
Could you clarify your next intention?
- Climb the cliff?
- Try the valley?
>IC
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Having caught up with his two companions, Metarchis pointed out to the plains below.

"It seems to me that once we cross yonder plains, we will find ourselves facing the sheer walls of a cliff. Now, do we want to try to scale these ourselves, or go down into the valley beside it?"

Metarchis paused, inhaled, and then continued:

"Vaelreth - do you think that you could summon some sort of flying shadowy steed to carry us up the sheer cliff face? It seems as though that would circumvent the need to take the longer, valley path".
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Vaelreth looked to Metarchis with a surprised look.

"I think I know better than you, male, what is and what isn't possible with the shadows. You think something that isn't even solid can hold up three people? One is the most, unless you can summon and control the spell yourself, which I doubt."

She walked at a fast pace, using her staff as a walking stick to make the travel easier for her.

"Unless one of you packed climbing gear, and knows how to use it, I suggest we should take the valley and find our way up along some creek or animal trail."
7th edition army book:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Metarchis laughed and then retorted childishly:

"Well, sister, I had envisaged that you might be able to relay us one by one over the top of the peaks. That would have saved us time and put us ahead of the game. However, I understand that you are not up to the challenge. Through the valley is where we shall go."

Metarchis hoisted up his collection of components and shield once more, and set off in the direction of the valley, knowing now that no short cut would be available to them.

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

STEP 2: The plain and the valley.

Shortly after leaving the village, the group found a creek, easy to cross whenever they would need to.
Following that creek led them to the entrance of a steep valley. They had walked barely half an hour.
The plain had been easy to cross despite the many peat bogs. Fortunately, the weather had been clement so far.

Despite the canyon’s narrowness, there was enough room to follow the creek upstream, between the two cliffs.
Apparently, the valley’s slope was manageable and could well allow them to reach easily the plateau.
The general direction seemed to be North, penetrating deep into the mountain.

As they were entering the valley, Vaelreth looked behind one last time, just in time to see a hooded silhouette turning back towards the village.
As the valley had only one path, there was probably no need to follow them anymore. From now on, they would be really alone. Nobody to ask for any information about harpies.

Climbing the valley would probably take them more than an hour, but there seemed not to be any quicker alternative.
They spent actually three hours in the valley. Indeed, the direction was North pretty much all the time. They had made the right choice.

Near the top, the head of canyon was a small cascade, leaving no room to walk. However, the plateau was not much above.
Looking around, they founded a path on their right. Although difficult, it could be climbed with the help of both hands.
Nothing fancy for this time, but this passage would be more problematic when they would return with eggs and harplings.

As they arrived finally on the top, they looked around.
They were seemingly in the exact center of the island.
Behind them was the canyon. The closest peak was South as well, close to the canyon. It had a particular shape, like the head of a donkey.
No more creek to lead them forwards, the creek's spring was the cascade.
All around them, the island seemed to be a large plateau, not really flat but roughly at the same altitude except for a few peaks.
On the East, higher crests were to be seen. On the West, they were probably high mountains too, but they were hidden behind dark clouds.
In front of them, on the North, the plateau seemed narrower and could well lead to cliffs above the sea.
Not a single bird could be seen in the sky. No harpy either.

Would they cross directly the plateau to the North?
Would they first try to escalate the closest peak? It would give them a wider view but it was not on their path and esclalating it would probably take at least one hour.

Next will come STEP 3: The plateau.

<OOC: I speed up the process.
If it's too fast, feel free to come back in time, and specify what you had done in the plains and in the valley.
If it changes the outcome, I'll edit.
I'll try to make next post Tuesday late afternoon. Please indicate your intentions.>IC
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Metarchis surveyed the scene around them:

"There seems to be no point us running around like a pack of headless hydras. My suggestion would be that we climb the closest peak, so that we can see where the harpy nests may be, and thus be able to focus our efforts more concisely.".

He shrugged.

"However, if one or both of you feel strongly tht we should pursue another option, that's fine. I'm happy with whatever really."

He awaited his temporary allies' response.

Don't be a munchkin?

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Vaelreth was growing more frustrated with each minute of their walk.

"For a place where we were told to beware of harpies, there's not nearly enough harpies to begin with!"

She glanced to Metarchis and shrugged, his idea was as good as any.

"Very well, lets climb that peak and take a good look around. Would be useful if we had some raw meat for bait but I haven't even seen an animal yet."
7th edition army book:

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The peak was rather easy to climb.
Still, it took them half an hour to reach the donkey head shaped top.

From that height, they had a very clear vision of the surroundings.
East and West, the island mountains were higher.
On the East side, a white blanket indicated a glacier.
On the West side, a cloud blanket promised bad weather within a couple of hours.
Southwards, they could see the top of Kaleth Silverjaw's tower, emerging behind a small hill.
Northwards, they could see the horizon of the sea.

At that distance, no bird nor harpy could be seen anywhere.
Apparently, there was more agitation in the sky on the North.
If any animal life was to exist, that was on the Northern edge of the island.

Climbing the peak had taken them a full hour, an hour which was precious.
But now, they knew for sure that their only hope of finding any harpy was in the North.
The'd better hurry up!

STEP 3: The plateau.

Walking northwards was not as easy as they wished.
Sure, the plateau was reasonably flat. However, the faults and rocks slowed them down all the time.

After an hour, they started to see flocks of sea birds, at distance far north. That could be the harpies’ main source of food. They adjusted slightly their direction.

Bingo! One hour later, the silhouette they saw was certainly a harpy, much larger than the birds. It vanished behind a small yellowish elevation which seemed to be at the edge of a cliff.

One last effort and here there were, on top of a cliff, with a gorgeous view to the ocean and the waves breaking furiously on rocks down the cliff.
Crossing the plateau had taken them three hours, plus one hour for the peak.

The cliff was 20 m high above the waves.
Right below the yellowish rock was a narrow platform, at mid height.
They understood that the platform led to a cave when a group of harpies appeared from inside the cliff.

The harpies opened their wings, were lifted by the wind upcliff and stabilized just in front of the three Candidates.
There were six of them.
Infuriated by the intruders, they attacked.

One harpy aimed at Marcelus Lycanius
Two charged Vaelreth Velkyn
Metarchis Avax had to handle the three remaining harpies.

<OOC: Next will come STEP 4: The cliff and the cave.
But before that, how do you handle the harpies?

When you cast a spell, please tell what you do in case of success and in case of failure.
You have time to cast two very quick spells before the harpies can claw and bite you.
You can alternatively use once a shooting weapon.>
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Metarchis was thrilled by the sight of the Harpies. He knew that these wonderful manifestations of Khaine himself are a well known sign of good fortune. The sight of three of these magnificent creatures surging towards him filled his heart with a mix of joy, adrenaline and - dare he say it - just a smidgeon of fear.

Recognising the need for quick and decisive action, Metarchis jumped into action to cast his first spell. He threw his hands up into the air and screamed out the words of his spell, almost as though they were a battlecry:

"Bless me with your fiery anger,
Fill me with your burning rage,
Awake in me your endlesss wrath,
Endow me with the Fury of Khaine!"

Spell: Fury of Khaine.
Target: Me.
Intended outcome: Give me additional attacks.
Time intended for: Until the end of combat.

[OOC: Regardless of whether the spell is cast or not, Metarchis will very rapidly begin casting a second spell.] IC:

Metarchis looked down at his available options of weapons and rapidly decided that both his dagger and mace should be used against the oncoming harpies [OOC: As two hand weapons] IC: However, he knew that he must be able to strike with sufficient force to cripple or kill the glorious beasts in front of him, not an easy task given his own weak strength. Accordingly, he quickly drew the short blade from out amongst his belongings and ran his finger quickly along its razor sharp edge, from its base up until it's tip. Reaching the top of the blade, he pressed down slightly on it, just enough to cause a tiny fleck of blood to dribble down onto the tip. He then ran his finger over each of his cheeks, daubing them with blood. Simultaneously to these rapid motions, Metarchis chanted quickly, but firmly, words of power and divine beseechment:

"Smile upon my hands and mind,
Mighty lord of blood and wrath,
Grant me now your bloody favour,
So that those I touch with steel or skin,
May be Touched by Death itself!"

Spell: Touch of Death.
Target: Me
Intended outcome: Give me the ability to temporarily kill on contact.
Time intended for: Until the end of combat.

[OOC: Regardless of whether Metarchis is successful casting the spell, he will attack the Harpies, seeking to kill as many of them as he can]. IC:

Both attempts at spellcasting made, Metarchis pulled out his mace as well, so that he had one weapon in each hand. He then hurled himself aggressively at the Harpies in front of him, warbling out an ancient Khainite warcry as he did. He slashed out with his weapons as quickly and as accurately as he could, relying on his superior weaponskill and ingrained hatred to aid him in his efforts to catch and kill the heraldic beasts in front of him, while evading their own blows in response.

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Khainite education in Metarchis boiled his blood the instant he saw the perspective of battle. War drums and blood songs filled his head. He was ready for the fight!

<OOC:
1st blessing of Khaine: Fury of Khaine
A.+0 agression. B.+1 well known. C.+1 self. D.+2 touched. E.+1 6 minutes. F.-2. G.+0 normal. H.-1 quick. I.-2 none. J.+1 (frenzy battle state rather than cataplexy: you're a Khainite, aren't you?). K.+0 detrimental. Total +1+fluff.
Result 3, cast with 2 margin (not really significant). Side effect rolled 6, dizziness for the same duration as the spell: you feel you are flying!
Result: a shower of attacks, but beware of falls.

2nd blessing of Khaine: Touch of Death.
A.+0 agression. B.+1 well known. C.+1 self. D.+2 touched. E.+1 6 minutes. F.-2. G.+0 normal. H.-1 quick. I.-2 none. J.+1 (frenzy rather than cataplexy). K.+0 detrimental. Total +1+fluff.
Result 3, same. Side effect 5, drunkenness, same duration: you "know" you are flying!
Result: Killing Blow (will be adjusted fluffily).

Metarchis Avax • Character Statistics: WS4, S2, T3, D4, I5 • Equipment: Mace, Dagger >IC
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Vaelreth steeled herself for combat and began weaving a spell within a spell. There was little time and the first spell was the more important one so she focused on that one, screaming her incantations into the air, both her hands weaving arcane symbols in the air.

Wispy cloud of darkness began forming around the group of harpies, confusing their minds and muddling their aggressive thoughts.

Spell: Melkoth's Miasma
Target: 6 harpies
Intended Outcome: Harpies combat effectiveness (Weapon Skill) diminished
Duration: 1 minute

When she finished incantation of that spell she almost instantaneously completed her incantation for the attribute of the Ulgu wind, attempting to switch her places with Marcelus. The fire mage was more combat effective, and she preferred to not fight too many harpies in melee.

Spell: Lore of Shadow attribute
Target: Self and Marcelus
Intended Outcome: As for lore attribute, caster and target switch places.
Duration: Instantaneous.

OOC:
If the first spell fails, she will attempt to cast it again, forgetting the second spells, and then run from harpies to keep distance.
If the first spell succeeds and the second spell fails, she will simply run around keeping the harpies away from her.
If both spells fail, she will throw her arms up, curse like a sailor and lead the harpies on a merry chase as she runs around.
7th edition army book:

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Shadows sorceress lifted the dust around her, her presence became blurry, a cloud emerged and closed the harpies.
A very loud crack of thunder was heard in that cloud, stalling instantaneously all six harpies. They became less eager to fight, and each successive crack would disturb them again.
Nevertheless they resumed their charge.

One harpy aimed at Vaelreth Velkyn, who seemed willing more to curse it than to fight it.
Two charged Marcelus Lycanius.
Metarchis Avax had to handle the three remaining harpies.

<OOC:
Melkoth's Miasma
A.+0 aggression (sort of) B.+1 C.+0 2d6 creature affected D.+1 breath distance (very limit) E.+1 for 6 min. F.-2 G.+1 (it's Wednesday) H.-1 quick I.-2 none J.+0 K.+0 detrimental total -1+fluff, cast on 3+. Result 5! Good margin. All 6 harpies affected.
Side effect (4) was a loud noise.
Result: WS of all 6 harpies is reduced for 6 minutes (as long as whip cracks are heard).

Shadow attribute
A.+1 B.+1. C.+1. D.+1 (you're close). E.+2 6 sec. F.-2. G.+1. H.-1. I.-2. J.+0. K.-1 mild. Total +1. No fluff, no bonus. Cast on 2+.
Result 2+, spell cast.
Side effect 6: you're just dizzy.
You can cast again in 1 second (you're already prepared).

Vaelreth Velkyn • Statistics: WS - 2, S - 3, T - 3, D - 5, I - 5 • Equipment: Staff, Blowpipe>IC
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

[OOC: Are we supposed to be posting with multiple posts here (like a traditional RPG) or are we supposed to be limited to one post per combat action (like a SAU).]

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC: I was waiting for smiler666 to post what Marcelus was doing with his single harpy.
He is pretty active on D.net, it should not last long.
As soon as I know - or if he keeps not posting -, I'll post the results of the first round of melee.
Then you'll be welcome to indicate what will be your next action.>
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

OOC: I'm going to have to apologise again for not posting, there really is no excuse for missing this much of the show. Sorry.

IC: Marcelus had been wandering in a stupor, barely registering the strenuous climb or his companion's musings until they all stood on a small plateau above a little jut of rock where the harpies apparently made nest. Like most territorial creatures the harpies scrambled to fight off the encroaching druchii as threats to thier home, and they were right.

In the few seconds before the ugly beasts cleared the cave mouth and readied themselves to fight Marcelus spat out a line of incantation that was part surprised cursing, part ancient imperial invocation. His reflex spellcasting called the winds of Aqshy to his fists.

Spell: Flaming Fists of Rhuin
Target: My hands
Intended Outcome: Set my hands on fire, Tzarcan/Malus-esque
Duration: As long as it takes to beat six harpies
[if it fails Marcelus will try again]

Then with a feeling of nausea and a tugging around his navel the world slipped from under him and he found hisself facing down two completely different harpies to the one he had been looking at before. The beasts seemed as surprised as him though, so he went on the attack hopefully before they regained thier senses, aiming to grab and pin at least one to negate thier greater speed and let his forge-born strength come into play proper.

OOC: Again, very sorry.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The flame mage called for the winds of Aqshy to lit his fists. The lighter had to be whacked a second time but soon nice flames arose from the fists and the staff.

Too late! the harpies were already on their targets.
The six beasts tried to bite as much as they could despite the disturbing cloud which followed them with thunder. The three elves bravely hit back, and the Khainite made marvels.
After the first assault, one harpy remained dead after a fatal touch by the Khainite's hands. Two were wounded on each side.
The harpies were obviously infuriated with the presence of strangers and prepared to charge again, having still a number advantage.

Two harpies aimed at Vaelreth Velkyn.
Only one harpy, already wounded, dared to charge Marcelus Lycanius (wounded), obviously they did not like the flames.
Two harpies (one wounded) went to avenge their dead and got after Metarchis Avax (wounded).

<OOC:
Spell: Flaming Fists of Rhuin
A.+0 B.+1 C.+1 self D.+2 E.+1 6 minutes. F.-2. G.+0 H.-1 I.-2 J.+0 K.+0 Total +0.
Failed (rolled 1). Side effect: 3, exactly as smiler666 wrote above :roll:
Cast again: rolled 4. Cast. same side effect.
Result of the spell: hands and staff are burning with a savage flame. +1 to wound.

Marcelus Lycanius • Statistics: WS4 - S4 - T3 - D2 - I5 • Equipment: Staff, Shortbow

First round of fight:
The 6 harpies strike first, but their WS is reduced: 2 instead of 3. 2 attacks each.
One harpy vs Vaelreth Velkyn WS2
Two harpies vs Marcelus Lycanius WS4 (Flaming Hands)
Three harpies vs Metarchis Avax WS4 (Fury of Khaine + Touch of Death)

Harpies claw and bite:
miss, miss => no wound to Vaelreth
miss, hit, miss, hit => one light wound (no hindrance) to Marcelus
hit, hit, miss, hit, miss, hit => one light wound (the buckler has absorbed the other wound) to Metarchis
The elves hit back, with 1 attack eack except Metarchis who has 3.
Hit => no wound.
hit => wound thanks to the flames
hit, hit, miss => wound, killing blow.
Result of the first round:
One dead harpie, two wounded harpies, three harpies untouched.
Two wounded elves, one untouched.

5 Harpies moved back, discussed for a second, and decided resolutely to strike again (rolled snake eyes).

You have time to cast one more spell before they arrive at you.
All your spells are still in effect.>IC
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Stunned by the ferocity of the harpies attacks, Metarchis gasped in pain as he registered the unpleasant wound that one of them had so unjustly inflicted on him. He could feel the blood oozing out of the cut, slipping down over his roughshod clothes.

Metarchis turned to face his fellows, noting that their contribution to the previous round of conflict had involved less actual fighting and more bizarre hopping about in the shadows behind him. He spoke, with sarcastic acid dripping in his voice:

"Care to join me? Or must I slay all of these magnificent beasts myself? They, at least, are not afraid to fight."

He then turned, and watched the harpies regrouping a short distance away. Spurred on by their audacious defiance and enlivened by the pain in his side, he decided to throw caution to the wind and charge the two that seemed to be moving specifically towards him. With his mace in one hand and dagger in the other, he tilted back his head and let loose a mighty cry, which escalated into a piercing shriek as he rushed headlong towards the approaching harpies:

"Basil! Basil! Basil! Basil!"

[OOC:
Spell: Cry of War
Target: The two harpies I'm going to engage in combat
Duration: The length of combat
Intended affect: Reduce the combat potential of the harpies

*sigh - why do I have a sinking feeling my character is going to be embarassingly butchered by harpies? Oh well, at least I'll go out with a bang :D*]

Don't be a munchkin?

Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

The first bout hadn't gone too badly, Marcelus had beaten back the pair of harpies he had thrust in front of, though one of the blighters had taken a nip out of his arm before he could do much more than singe it and then cleared off again. Now though they were barrelling back toward them, he noticed with a hint of pride that only the harpy he had almost set alight dared to come back at him. Buoyed up by the harpies' avoidance of him Marcelus responded to the khainites taunt with a wink, "Keep talking buddy, they'll be roasted by the time your mouth stops flapping."

Taking advantage of the momentary lull as the harpies regrouped and went back on the offensive Marcelus decided to help out Vaelreth, who had struggled against a single beast and now looked set to end up against two. He muttered furiously a short stream of imperial that he knew by heart from his earliest days at the bright college.

Spell: Fireball
Target: One of the harpies attacking Dalamar, or both if it's possible to splash it
Duration: About 4 seconds tops
Intended Affect: Make things go boom :twisted:

Again the harpies came and again Marcelus met them with his fists, trying to grapple his harpy down so it couldn't flutter away this time.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC
@ Red...
- to cast a spell at 2 or at 5 harpies is the same difficulty. I'll make it 5 unless you confirm 2.

- your character cannot be killed as long as he does not anything stupid: this is RP, not WH. I need 6 characters alive for tonight's pit.

- Any magic can heal. Here is an example with Death Magic used for healing.
I have read a legend, IIRC by Saxo Grammaticus relating the saga of the Danes before 1200 AD.
An old king became ill at 60. His shaman could heal him for 10 years with the sacrifice of his elder son. The son was sacrificed and the king recovered, but he could not run nor ride horses anymore.
At 70, he became ill again. His shaman told that Odin was requiring his second son. The son was sacrificed and the king recovered, but he could barely walk for short distances and spent most of his time in his bed or seaten on his throne.
At 80, he became ill another time. His shaman told that the last remaining son could heal him for 10 more years. The king ordered his son to be sacrificed. But the Danish subjects refused and let the kind die instead, and had the youngest son become king and live happily afterwards.
Just to tell how Death Lore could be used even to heal!

Khaine, IIRC, heals the damages of time for DH and grants ward save; it should not be difficult to heal you with a CoB when you come back tonite.
Or earlier, but without CoB.

- Just curious to learn: why Basil?

@ smiler666
- to cast a spell at 1 harpy is easier than at several harpies.
- to cast a spell at 2 or at 5 harpies is the same difficulty.
I'll make it 5 unless you confirm 1 or 2.

@ Dalamar
smiler666 has guessed you'll switch place again.
Sounds logic. As your first switch was cast for 6 seconds, it is gone now.
As you have time for a single spell, I probably need not your imput to solve the combat.
Unless you state differently.
I'll do it right now.
>IC
Last edited by Calisson on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

OOC: I was thinking more about where the harpies are in relation to each other, if I try to hit all 5 harpies it will have to be a damn big fireball whereas it may be possible to catch a second harpy with the splash from a fireball targeted at only one. Some common sense roleplay-style input would best be used alongside the ruleset to stop ridiculously improbably things such as 15 ft fireballs happening.

Also I wasn't predicting that me and Dalamar would switch places I was just trying to be helpful, coz I'm a nice kinda guy :D
Opus vos liberaverit