[PLOG] Going vintage

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

[PLOG] Going vintage

Post by Gastronauticon »

Hello

While the Painting an Modelling part of D.net is a scary place, there appear to be some interesting stuff going on as well.

I would like to share some of my vintage stuff in the hopes of getting some feedback on how to proceed. I am currently assembling a DE host with 3rd to 5th as well as limited edition models. I am using the new washes and generally try to keep up a fast pace painting. It is tricky as the old models dont seem to be sculpted with the new washes in mind.

The color scheme is red and gold with white details. Some models also have yellow details but that might change.

EDIT: Bloodwhack shrine added. It is a 5th edition cauldron carriage with bolt thrower bits as mirror. The medusa is a GW Night Horror model. The bleakswords are a mixed bunch of 3rd edition metals and 5th ed mono-pose plastics (in the back. )

Anyway, here is the latest completed project. 40 WEs, full command.

After the holidays, I hope to be able to present a chunk of knights (as hinted in the background).

EDIT: Gamesday execs added. I have more but they remain unpainted... The rightmost model is a converted 5th ed champion model. Thanks to darktremere for making it possible to assemble the unit.

EDIT: Dark riders added. Thanks a lot to Heldrak for making it possible to assemble a full five of them.

EDIT: Hydra added.

EDIT: Banners as requested by With hatred....

And the Cold One Knights painted during the holidays.

EDIT: Cold One Chariots added. They are due for a repaint eventually but I post them now anyway.

EDIT: Work in progress added. Thanks again to With hatred for motivating me. It is a dragon. I have added a saddle and mounted it on a base. While not that imposing, it does fit neatly into the cavalry tray of a army transport bag. Very practical. When done, it will feature in this list.

EDIT: Completed dragon added. Not satisfied but there is no time to fix it right now. Probably fix details or repaint entirely in the future.

The scales gives it a rather spotted look. The new washes arent always the best choise for older sculpts I guess.

EDIT: New book is out! Retrofitted these old mounted wizards for use as warlocks (the guy on the right isnt really a wizard model but she had a cloak and that is almost the same...).

Also, bolt throwers are back in style. Soon I will have a full four of these babies in play. Daemon Princes beware!

Finally got around to finnish a few bits and pieces. 3rd edition plastic crossbowmen which I will be using as shades for gaming purposes. Sorry about the awkward light in the picture. Will try to get a better picture next time they participate in a battle.
Last edited by Gastronauticon on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:55 am, edited 14 times in total.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

A man after my own heart, I too love the old stuff! I know what you mean about the washes I've had a few teething problems along the way. I hope to get around to the witch elves soon.

I really like the colour scheme you have chosen, it fits in with the Khorne/Khaine symbolism they used back then.

If you get the chance I'd like to see a closer pic of the standard, it looks quite interesting.

Can't wait to see more.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Thank you. I will post some pics of my banner solution in due time. The emphasis is on speed rather than detail I should mention though.

Atm we are leaving for the holidays but I´ll try to keep in touch.

Your Retro stuff looks very nice indeed. The shields look splendid. How do you do the yellow shading (I just gave up on yellow a while back...)?

Please hold.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Those are, of course, not 3rd or 4th ed, but 5th ed models.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Gastronauticon wrote:
Atm we are leaving for the holidays but I´ll try to keep in touch.

Your Retro stuff looks very nice indeed. The shields look splendid. How do you do the yellow shading (I just gave up on yellow a while back...)?

Thanks. I sort of stumbled onto that. The base coat was a mix (10:90) of Iyanden Darksun and Burnished Gold. Washed with Devlan Mud and then another wash in the recesses. Retouched then on the raised areas with the original base coat colour acting as a highlight.

I'll be looking forward to updates.

Cheers.
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Tjena Gastronauticon.

Jag håller på att arrangera "Nordsken - Norrlands spelfestival" som kommer att bli lika delar "DreamHack" och bräd-/kort-/figurspel.

Vi kommer att ha Warhammer-turneringar i 40k & Fantasy.
Vore kul om du kom med dina Dark Elves...

Skellefteå (2012) fredag 2 mars kl 16.00 - söndag 4 mars 16.00

http://www.nordsken.se/
http://www.facebook.com/nordsken/
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Hello kendoka

Thanks for the invite! I will check with my family (the Domina...) if the beginning of march is ok for an out-of-town tournament. No promises but is sounds fun.

I should, however, remind you that English is the sanctioned language there on D.net. Please use that even when communicating with other Swedish DE-player.

Please hold.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

love them..love old school models...
Death before dishonor
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Your WE unit is awesome!
I just own 13 5th ed. witches.... I need to find more of them!
Congrats.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Ah, yes, I do have some 5th ed stuff as well. Should change the thread title to acknowledge that. I am currently assembling a unit of earlier witches but they are as of yet too few to form a playable unit.

Thanks for the appraisal. I have added a picture of the gamesday executioners (see topside). They are also technically 5th ed but I hope youre ok with that. Some real 3rd/4th models will be herer soon as well.

Also, some close ups on the witch elf banner for With Hatred... will be here soon.

Please hold.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Nice update, I think that's the first time I've ever seen those executioners painted. You've done a great job on them too, I really like how you've done the dark metals, evil and brooding!
Nice conversion too, may just borrow that idea.

Looking forward to the old witch elves!
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Thanks a lot. The metal is really just mithril silver with black wash but it is really fast to paint and it do bring out the red highlights.

I am having a bit of trouble taking photos as the cellphone camera really does not like close ups with white background. The pictures look a bit darker than they really are.

I have added some old Dark Riders as well. Thanks a lot to Heldrak, our very own renegade priest of Vaul for making it possible to assemble the unit.

Please hold.
Darktremere
Shade

Post by Darktremere »

I'm really impressed with the Executioners, It's nice to see that they have a good home and are getting the attention they deserve. They look better than I could have made them look.
Enslave those you do not crush.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Looks great, really nice colour scheme!!!

Great job!!! ;)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Nice paint job. I think those executioners look better than the current ones.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Thanks a lot people. More painted vintage models will be posted shortly. As for the execs, yes I also like them better than the current ones. The whole single-cast thingy is very convenient. No swords coming off here, that is for sure.

Picture of Hydra added. The handlers initially had dogs to handle but recently got reassigned/promoted to hydra duty.

Also, I changed the name of the thread since this is obviously an ongoing project. Hence the plog-prefix is motivated.

Please hold.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Thank you for this thread! Haha i have some of the old models myself, the 5th ed ( I think, but they obviously belong to the same range) Crossbowmen, Executioners, Cauldron of Blood and what appears to be DE swordsmen! But it's only now that I've seen the Dark Riders and old Hydra. I didn't even know they existed!
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

I love what you have done with those old miniatures :D The paint job has really brought them to life! I especially like the Marauder horsemen and the Hydra

(Horsemen and Beastmasters/Hydra are 3rd edition for those who haven't seen those models before).

Looking forward to seeing more...
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

More pictures added. Firstly, closer pics on the banners as requested by With hatred...

The banners are just the type of plastic-coated metal wire which comes with computer cables and the such. It is not suitable for elaborate paintjobs but it is great for getting coiling pennants real fast. Excellent for those last minute fixes before a tournament really...

The second picture is cold one knights from the 4th (I think) edition. There are some older riders in there as well. I havent quite got a complete sets of 4th ed. riders yet. The standard bearer and musician are simple conversions using the current plastic spearman arms.

Enjoy

Please hold.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Those are 3rd edition Cold Ones with a mixture of Marauder and Citadel riders.

Excellent paint job and colour scheme, I must add :D
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

I'll see if I can find a few minis from the era of The Third Citadel Compendium that I don't need myself and can sponsor you with.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Kendoka: Thanks, that would be much appreciated. If they are any of the ones I do play with, I´d be happy to pay for them.

Tyrannus: How do I tell apart the salamander type cold ones from these?
I have checked at http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com but it is not very clear since the ones described as 3rd edition are C21 slottabased cold ones (the salamander type) and these are described as "older repackaged models" in the 4/5th section. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Two projects running atm. A block of mixed 3rd/4th edition witch elves (or just female looking models really...) and a murder of iron claw-type harpies.
Pics soon.

Please hold.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Hi G,

The marauder foundry was a separate manufacturer that diverged from and then eventually rejoined citadel.

When I started collecting (~1990) they were the peeps who made good dark elves (better than the citadel range).

Their catalogue is found here:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/index.htm

The doomdrake and doomsteed models you have in your army can be found here:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/ma6decavalry.htm

They are 3rd edition and illustrations of them can be found in 3rd edition materials of the time, though they continued to be sold up until replacement models were made towards the end of the 4th edition time period.

Regarding the C21 models in the citadel catalogue - the solid base ones are so ancient even I don't remember them!

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Dark_Elf_Cold_Ones_%26_Riders_-_C21_%28solid_base%29

However the C21 slotta base ones were around when I first started and the way to tell these apart from the marauder ones is that the citadel ones were two piece and had to be glued together, as you can see on this page:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Dark_Elf_%28WHFB_3rd_Edition%29_-_Collectors_Guide

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any more question.

Like all old people I enjoy talking about the past :p

*sits down, puts feet up and pulls out pipe*
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

This last post (I really enjoyed) made me feel really old. ;)

I started collecting in 1991 ... and I remember kindly the miniature range of citadel and marauder,

but I must admit I'm totally satisfied with the stuff produced now.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Yes, I too like to remember the past.
And, although most old minis in my armies have been replaced for newer, and better, sculpts - my (somewhat Chaos-tainted) Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress is still Maalica Iron Hoof:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/3/35/CH515.jpg
http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/warhammer_campaign/12siege.jpg

http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/warhammer_campaign/blood_in_the_badlands_pt1.html

Maalica is still one of the coolest sculpted Sorceresses, especially when playing with the developers behind the game Magicka...:
http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/warhammer_campaign/Magicka_gaming_650.jpg
Last edited by Kendoka on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.