Random Idea - the Battle Plan Challenge

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

What's your level of interest in this idea?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 am

High - I intend to participate in most of them.
29%
Average - I may participate / It depends if the month's challenge is to my taste.
52%
Average - I will read most of them but don't intend to post anything.
14%
Low - I have no interest in this / I don't like the idea / I love pies!
5%

Total votes: 21

Grabuge
Slave (off the Altar)
Location: Trading options on souls in Har Ganeth Stock Market Tower

Random Idea - the Battle Plan Challenge

Post by Grabuge »

Good day once again gentlemen,

For quite a time, a persistent idea was animating my mind.

One upon a time on this forum dwelled a monthly challenge where the finest of you pitched solutions against each others to resolve battlefield problems. If I recall correctly, people were faced with specifics battle situations (tabletop pictures, army lists, number of turns remaining, etc.) Nobles were asked the course of action they would recommend and why.

Taking inspiration from this monthly of old, I was thinking of a new challenge: the Battle Plan Challenge.

Each month I would post an incomplete army list with complementary info (favoured tactics, deployment rules, scenario, opponents, etc.)

80 to 90% of the list will be fixed and cannot be modified. The remaining will be up to each individual's taste. That way, only 2 or 3 aspects at a time will be discussed in order to maintain focus. The challenge will be to fill the blanks as you think would be best and to explain how you would use such an army.

So, the big question is: Are you guys in?

What do you think of the idea? Do you have suggestions to improve it?
Last edited by Grabuge on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no task too hard, only slaves too soft.

English is not my first language, so please be kind by being harsh. Show me my mistakes by PM !
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i like the idea of a monthly activity. however, i am not a huge fan of "fix the problem by changing your army". i am more of a "use what you have effectively"-guy :P

however, i understand that this "fill in the blanks" format is much easier to work with, and it is still a fun idea :)
Goruss
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goruss »

Sounds likes fun. I think the ability to modify the list somewhat to fit individual play styles will make it easier for people to put themselves in the scenario.

I do love pie though... Can I change my vote?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I'm in!
Excellent idea.
Thanks Grabuge, you show that the post count is irrelevant for judging a D.netter.
Keep going! :P
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I like the idea of this. It has been a few years since I have played and things like this would be great to get me back to where I was before that gap.

Count me in.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Grabuge
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Grabuge »

Gloomy-good day everyone!

Here is my follow-up on your comments.

First I must say thank you all for taking the time to answer. Polls might be good to gauge the level of interest by percentage, but without a significant number of inputs, stats means so little. So thanks again for keeping this pool rolling!

@Lord Tsunami
Thanks for the input. I myself go by Winston Churchill's saying (IIRC) of "You go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had". In life you got to face the situation with what you have in hand at the moment.

But developing your army BEFORE the war is still an important part of the outcome (and the game). I've seen too much people not developing their tools preferring instead to develop their brains. While the later is always useful, I seldom have seen anybody succeed at mechanics using only their heads and no wrench or any other tools.

What I mean is that both aspects should be put forward. On the other hand, your comment got me thinking about improvements to the Battle Plan Challenge. Putting more emphasis on strategy and tactics may induce positive change for everybody. I'll keep thinking about this.

Fill me in with any suggestion you may have!

@Goruss

Note taken: you love pies. If I ever come to give prizes over Druchii.net, I'll take this into account!

@Calisson

Coming from you it means a lot. It's warming my heart (something unexpected, us being in the Land of Chill).

@ devils reject

You saw through my master plan of leeching the knowledge from Druchii's generals of legend!

Back to all:
Keep ideas and comments (and insults if you must) flowing!

English is not my first language, so please be kind by being harsh. Show me my mistakes by PM !
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

YOUR FATHER SMELT OF ELDERBERRIES!!

Sorry, couldn't help but take you up on the insult part... :oops:

I think this sounds like a good little plan and I'm always keen for fresh and new ideas - the monthly thing sounds like a good idea too! As for suggestions, I would like to see an extension of this beyond just army creation, but also an actual battlefield situations (can use Battle Chronicler to create the pictures).

I am currently attempting to work out how to boost the use of the Battle Reports forum and being as this could motivate people into reporting their battles more, this can only be a good thing!

Great job Grabuge and well remembered from the days of the Druchii.net herald: ahhhh memories... :roll:
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

I'm in, I tend to disagree with a lot of other people on here so it'd be good to get some differing opinions :)
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

@Grabuge: That's the way. Always here to read and listen in on others tactics but sometimes they just need a bit of encouragement like this to keep them going. I'm actually quite excited about what new things I might pick up on this.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Let's do it.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Grabuge
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Grabuge »

No offense taken Dangerous Beans. I have no idea what elderberries smells like ... Heck, I don't even know what type of berries theses are!

Mixing your idea with Lord Tsunami suggestion fuelled up some thinking of mine.

Maybe I should break the project in two sub-parts.

First two weeks could be about strategy musing and tactics discussion.

After these two weeks, I would choose myself one the lists suggested (with its linked strategy) and simulate (or do myself) a battle with it. Of course, the list chosen would be one of the most creative, unorthodox and/or challenging.

There I could take a snapshot of the game situation at that time (for exemple: bottom turn 3) and present it the crowd. At which point and until the end of the month, people will pitch what would they do, including modified graphics.

An sample pitch would look like :
-I Move remaining warriors 5 inches in front arc of Chosen Knights to block their charge ark and redirect them 45 degrees toward east table edge.
-I charge Warshrine unit with COK. If they flee, I redirect into Marauders flank.
- Crossbowmen stay put and double shoots the Warhounds.
-Lvl 2 sorceress tries to cast Spell A, B, and C in that order on X, Y and Z power dices.

Nifty battle chronicler picture summarising main moves.

Of course, people would be encouraged to explain why they would act this way and the expected outcome of their action. Plus it would be great if they comment or tries to refine another person course of action.

Another idea would be to encourage people to actually try the list and strategy they submit and write a battle report with it. But I expect it to be difficult to find similar matchups to that of the monthly.

Anyway, at this stage it's still is only brainwashing. More so, the effort I will put in this project will be proportionnal to the number of people wishing to see it happens. I don't want to find myself pouring 4-5 hours of my time a week for the benefits of only 2 or 3 fellas. No offense meant.

Keep the suggestions (or insults) coming!

PS: Anybody knows how to correct typos in a thread name?

Edit: lot of typos. Expect more of them left.

Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Just go into edit the first post and you should be able to correct the title from there.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Grabuge wrote:No offense taken Dangerous Beans. I have no idea what elderberries smells like ... Heck, I don't even know what type of berries theses are.
See Monty Python and the Holy Grail Quotes
C'est intraduisible en français.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Scarecrow85
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scarecrow85 »

This sounds like an awesome idea. Great way to discuss what each unit that the person would add would benefit and what the units strengths are in general. Also a great way for DE toddlers like me to get a better grasp of the army.

I'm in.

"Anyway, at this stage it's still is only brainwashing."

Hahahaha.... :P
Senluthan
Beastmaster

Post by Senluthan »

This sounds awesome... I would like to participate as much as my free time allows me to!
Senluthan Redskull
Group 36 Mod
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Haha I didn't mean any real offence Grabuge, I just saw a good opportunity for some funny french-english film references :D Here is the scene I was quoting... :D The French Taunt the English Knights

Needless to say that I am in too sir! (as long as you don't throw cows or sheep at me...!) I think that your first plan is a really good one, although it was also be good if other players were able to also attempt it too: that way it keeps things flexible (your report and then any extras if people have managed to do so).

I know that your are keen to learn your typos so I shall explain that brain washing is a type of mental manipulation where people's opinions, attitudes and even behaviour are changed through force or conditioning.

The word that I know you'd meant was Brain Storming - whereby people openly discuss a topic or area and contribute a wide variety of ideas, then later your try to condense this down to what is generally agreed as the best concept from the original variety of ideas. ;)
Grabuge
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Grabuge »

@ Dangerous Beans

Monty Python and the Quest for Holy Grail... It's been around a decade since I last seen that movie!

Be happy that I don't have any cows. Be warned that I do have a small homemade catapult at one of my friend's place ;)

@ all
"Anyway, at this stage it's still is only brainwashing."

Sorry for the brainwashing part. I forgot that if you really want brainwashing to work, people are not supposed to know that you're trying to do it!

Of course, I meant brainstorming. Sorry for that

I think I've seen enough people wanting Battle Plan Challenge to go off to justify it.

Thus, I will initiate the project shortly, just in time for March. I am playing a game this weekend and it may serve as canvas, tough I'm not fully decided yet.

The point of doing The Battle Plan Challenge is to get some discussion and musing started, not to showcase my games. More so, I wanted to use lists, units or situations that have been discussed in the past month. For example, putting Morathi in the center of a shooty list would've been good for March's challenge.

But in the meantime, I understand the first monthly will only be a rough test site for the project. There should be plenty feedback and suggestions coming after a first round. Plus I still have to work out the general post explaining the format used.

Since I work fulltime while completing my 2nd degree equivalent (full time also), I may go for the easy road for now.

PS: Sorry for letting the thread sleeps for 4-5 days. A class colleague of mine spilled coffee on my laptop. Happily, only the keyboard short-circuited.