Chariots?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Saddleskull
Warrior

Chariots?

Post by Saddleskull »

PLaying against fast moving WE, i need more mobility (dread on cold one, unit of cok's, shades... and thought about chariots....

Never seen one used in the games i have seen played....

Are they worth it?

Useful against the fast moving Wood elves?
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Yes, if they get the charge, and yes if they are with other fast units such as knights, other chariots, or hydras.

Toughness 5 will keep them around; their strength and scythed wheals will do some damage for the impact hits (why they are really only good on the charge) and S4 spear weilding charioteers will also be nice.

At the moment you have to bit bash your own, so have fun with that.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Lokil
Warrior

Post by Lokil »

Its just that you have to make dangerous terrain tests which cause 1D6 wounds on chariots if I remember right.
• Name: Akish Shadowborn
• Male Khainite
• WS4 S3 T3 D4 I4
• Equipment: Dagger, 2 Short Swords, Throwing Dagger x4, Light Armour,
• Skills: Basic Stealth
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

They're all but missile proof, which is very handy versus WE. T5 with a 3+ armour save and 4 wounds is awesome. Take lore of metal for glittering robe and you're looking at a 1+ save - delicious :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

on paper they are just perfect against wood elves... if inly they stay out of the woods. its is VERY risky to try and charge stuff inside woods with a chariot ;)
Saddleskull
Warrior

Post by Saddleskull »

Well, i found a 2nd hand charriot (i do think the old cold ones look like chickens) and put together a force to fight against WE's (my last static army got decimated with arrows before i could do anything)...

My WE killing army

Dread on Cold one (Pok, Ha,chillblade, dragon helm, shield, sea dragon cloak) - i like chillblade vs other elves

Master on peg (cloak of hag graef, Beastmasters scurge, dawnstone, shield, ha,)
my archer, light infantry killer -

Shades peppering them and moving (rinse and repeat)
Cok with crown of command on dreadknight
Chariot and hydra down the centre
Rest Rxbow for core (sorceress in here with shadow) and some witches and blackguard to mop up

This look ok?
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Personally I'm very fond of chariots.

The main disadvantage of course being that the enemy will be steadfast regardless of the amount of damage you inflict.

In contast to other peoples advice, don't be afraid to charge units in a wood. You only fail your dangerous terrain test on the roll of one, and even if you do you have a 50-50 chance of surviving. If you do make it into combat the enemy infantry will not be steadfast, giving you a very decent chance in breaking them.

Point for point 100 pts is very, very cheap for what you get. Its cheap enough to sacrifice either by redirecting or just get in and try to get a few wounds off an enemy character.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Cok with crown of command on dreadknight

dreadknights can not have crown of command, because it costs 35 points, and they are only allowed to have 25 point.
Saddleskull
Warrior

Post by Saddleskull »

Yeah realised that after posting...

ok, no crown of command on Coks...
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

I would ditch Dreadlord for SupSorc with darkmagic and Lifetaker.. WElves hate that.. :)

And would prolly change COKs for double chariot action ;)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

chariots are great against most foes, and tactics havebeen my strong point on this site over the years. some people take only what wins 100% but i like winning with the other things we have, all of which is suprising good.

it not just good on paper, its good on the table too
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

I personally have started using my chariot more so lately as a unit that can help me react to any sort of threat I was unprepared for.

Because of the fact it cannot march, it is typically in a premium position to either combo charge with another unit or counter charge a small skirmishing/fast cav unit trying to flank me. Depending on what you are fighting against, they can also have a hell of a time trying to land a wound on you. For a 100 points its a steal! I would take two chariots over a hydra any day of the week (if only I had a second chariot model...)
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Chariots in my opinion are (keep in mind they should always be used in pairs):
Tougher than CoKs (T5 instead of T3, AS only 1 points lower, 8 Wounds instead of 10 (but again at higher T) ).
Cheaper than CoKs (10 Knights will cost you around 300 points, 2 Chariots are 200)
Have similar charging force (2d6 + 2 S5 hits + 4 S5 attacks + 4 S4 attacks vs. 11 S6 attacks + 5 S4 attacks. Due to randomness of impact hits Chariots have potential for more or less damage at the same time, but on average they should be about the same (thanks to impact hits always hitting))
Have better staying power than CoKs when fighting infantry (in my opinion as T5 pretty much shuts down S3 troops, while T3 knights will die eventually. There's only so many knights you can kill. Also you have to do 4 wounds to a chariot to take away any attacks, while each dead knight is reducing their attacking power.)

In general I think I prefer the chariots.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Dalamar: All good points, but...why not take both? ;) My current 3k army runs with 4 chariots and 8 CoKs!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I think chariots and Knights have different roles. Chariots want to be used as supporting units for your infantry blocks to get extra combat resolution, and only need to get in corner to corner to make its attacks. Whereas, Knights are used as a main hammer in 10+ models to try and break the enemy by themselves.

Also, Knights benefit a lot more from a COB list, or putting a Hydra banner BSB in there. I would never take Knights without either of these two in my list, whereas the chariots fill a support role and thus dont need to be supported (they are the support).
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Also, by themselves tend to be week as they are getting combat resolution almost exclusively with combat resolution. Granted you get D6+1 impact hits, but that means you get anywhere from 2-7 strength 5 (that or just D6 S6 impact hits, I can't remember at the moment and I don't have the book with me now).

While S5 will turn just about any elf unit, especially given the armor save of most elf armor saves, but they will always out rank you or be in forests so they will have steadfast on a regular basis. This is why you need several of them, or them tagging along other units as support.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra