How do you like your Lv.4 Sorceress? ;)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Juicy
Slave on the Altar

How do you like your Lv.4 Sorceress? ;)

Post by Juicy »

Hello everyone. New here.
Made my account specifically for this question (Im going to do other stuff too though).

My supreme sorceress of choice recently has been. As follows:

Lv.4 with Fire Lore.
Cold One
Pendant of Khaelath
Hydra Blade
Focus Famillar

This totals to about 385 points and revolves around buffing her and the other 6/7 cold one knights I have with her. (Sword of Rhuin and Fire Cloak). It will allow her to get into combat and cause wounds as well as casting during the same turn. Offcourse I dont go charging in to a 40 unit black ork horde. But it has some grunt.

I like the idea of having a sort of Malekith like hybrid where the lord themselves can do damage in combat and cast.

What do you think? Any other fun slightly different builds out there.

Sorry if I've placed this in the wrong section of the forum.

Also I do use a second lv.2 mage to control the magic phase more and add more buffs (metal or go for the simple dark lore) in my 2000pt army.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Interesting build. Do you ever lose a turn due to stupidity?

For my L4's I tend to go a bunkered dagger wielder (Metal or Shadow) or a pegasus, FF, ward save girly (Death or Dark).

It's good to see and hear about novel SS builds, but I go for a fairly standard loadout.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Juicy, welcome to D.net! :)
Eager to discover what other stuff will be.
Fine question for this forum.

That's the first time I see this setting.
The FF is near mandatory as she can't cast directly most of Fire spells from combat.
The only advantage of placing the Fire SS in the unit is to grant it Fire Cloak. Everything else, she can do it at distance. So for that advantage, you have to pay for a FF - and the risk of losing your armorless general in melee.

That might be a good way for using the beautiful model of sorceress on CO.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Its an interesting build, and would probably be quite effective. But, the Hydra Blade is next to useless on a Sorceress.. your getting an extra D3 attacks sure, but she is only S3 so its not going to do much. Maybe consider the Black Dragon Egg for the 2D6 S4 hits in combat, OR the Whip Of Agony will give her 2 attacks at S5 with armour piercing.

Oh, and Id love to get off Flaming Sword on the Cold Ones on the charge... auto wound T4 and under FTW! :twisted:

The only concern, which I just realised after writing above, is that miscasts can cost you. S10 templates will wreck your own Knight unit, so you cant be too liberal with Power Dice on spells.
Juicy
Slave on the Altar

Post by Juicy »

Yeah it is a toss up between Whip of Agony and Hydra Blade. Just need those additional attacks :p. If flaming sword of rhuin is cast on the unit then I would accept challengers probably with my champion. So my wizard would mostly be attacking there basic unit. either way if they had T4 it would be 4's to hit 4's to wound. maybe might switch to whip.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

If you want your SS to do damage in close combat, consider replacing the pendant of khaine with the black amulet and ditching the hydra blade. It gives a 4+ ward save that bounces back saved wounds against the attacker, with no armour saves allowed.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I like my sorceress shaken but not stirred. ;)

I prefer to have my sorceress more securely positioned, in a bunker of sorts and well protected so that she never gets into close combat. If she does, I've played her wrong. I always give her the lifetaker so that she can shoot from the back and especially take out skirmishers and etherals. Also, she gets either the focus familiar or sacrifical dagger.... and that's it.

I do consider a second sorceress with dark magic on a pegasus with pendant, but usually I find pegasuses to be quite fragile, and would probably just like a cloaked ring of hotek master to flying around my enemies instead.

Our sorceresses aren't created for close combat. The sorcerers of chaos could do more there, but they too are usually used far away from close combat as well (and mostly on discs with 1+/2+ armor and 3+ wards... grrrr).

When that is said, I think a sorceress of dark magic could be nice for more closer quarters. Soulstealer to gain wounds and word of pain for more survival.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I like my sorceress to not wear any clothes... 8)

Erm, disturbing concepts aside, that is one very unusual combo you have there - I tried a Sorceress on Dragon once with Pendent, Chillblade and The Other Trickster Shard. However in your combo I don't think that the Hydra Blade is really worth it in any form (maybe if you took Potion of Strength but alas that is not really a good spenditure of points). She isn't a very effective combat character at all - even if you max out her items to do so (and survive). I think that Red is probably right - the Black Amulet could be a solid choice on her (I'd run Dark if so however - go gain Soulstealer: I know that you want the Firecloak to work, but frankly I don't think its worth it for that spell - its probably too 'situational' ie. only used in very specific circumstances)
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

My latest build is as follows. (Glad to see others taking lore of fire, the lore thats suppose to suck but actually rocks).

Lvl4
Dark Magic yup
Life Taker
3 null stones
Dispel Scroll

Currently she tools around in a 50 man unit of repeaters.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I typically go one of 2 ways:

Level 4, Shadow, Sacrificial Dagger (sometimes Lifetaker) -- That's right, no ward save. Since she is in a unit I try to keep away from combat, I find she really doesn't need one. I park her in a unit of 30 spears for Dagger fuel and let her spells support the rest of the army.

Level 4, Death, Dark Pegasus, Pendant of Khaeleth, Tome of Furion -- Pegasus allows her to get in position to cast short-range sniping spells, to line up a Purple Sun, and/or get a perfect Soulblight bubble. Tome is there so I get everything I want, and the Pendant protects her.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I like my Sorceress alive.

I generally go for cheap mages, give enough items to do what I want to do, really well.

So either Lv3 with Dispel Scroll

or Lv4 with...dispel scoll...? yea... lol. I honestly forgotten what I take on my Lv4, haven't used one for a long time x.x
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I usually use the Sacrifical Dagger and Lifetaker on my level 4, and that's it. She's never going to get into combat (unless I either play my list wrong, or the rest of the army breaks first), so I want her to be at the back with a small unit of warriors. I also use to have another unit she can join close by, just in case the small warrior unit takes lots of casualities. Most of the time, that reserve unit is a unit of crossbowmen :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I do not like getting my Supreme Sorceress into combat so I go with the more defensive role - Pendant of Khaleth, Dispel Scroll, Seal of Ghrond. Getting spells past her is tough.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Dangerous Beans wrote:I like my sorceress to not wear any clothes... 8)

Well they were in the 6th ed artwork. Mine got stared at a lot, so I use 6th ed female beast masters now, who are still cute without having their tits out.

As for the OP's build, i have run something similar without success. Also watch out for flame proof characters and units. Dragon princes would laugh their pointy hats off fighting you with all those flaming spells.

As I play a lot of HE, I tend to avoid flaming attacks of all kinds, and just put up with regen monsters when I meet them.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I like mine slow roasted over an open fire with a hint of basil and lemon peper...Wait that's my steak on the BBQ. Where was I?

Lv 4, Dark Magic.
Focus Familiar,
Talisman of Preservation
Healing Potion
Dark Pegasus

Focus Familiar is there for range, and so I can always cast any and every spell I have at any direction

Tal/preservation gives a 4+ save

healing potion restors wounds when I can't get soul sealer (hoping we'll still get the can use in CC when the army gets and update)

Pegasus for mombility

Dark Magic because I can
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Lepaca
Shade

Post by Lepaca »

Lvl 4 Shadow
+ Sac Dagger in Spearmen

or

Lvl 4 Death
on Peg
PoK
FF
Azimyth
Beastmaster

Post by Azimyth »

L4
Seal of Ghrond
Dispel scroll for non shadow
Dagger for shadow
South African Players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
ETC: Rules for whingers who still want to play 7th
Uriain
Executioner

Post by Uriain »

Level 4, Death
Focus Familiar
Pendant

I am trying out a level 2 with Death or Dark with Tome and 2 Null stones in a big block of spearmen
Building Hand Eye Co-ordination. . . . One kill at a time.
Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Skullshatter »

i find that a death sorc on peg with a 4+ward is easy to use and can make her points back by turn 2 almost every game.
fly up the flank then cast purple sun across the whole enemy battle line banishing everything to the abyss. at throne of skulls, with the help of supreme jammyness, i defeated a whole dwarf gun line tableing the poor guy turn two.
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Sacaspearman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sacaspearman »

Level 4
-Death,Shadow or Dark Magic
-Sacrificial Dagger
-Lifetaker Crossbow
-a unit of new recruit spearmen
Romark
Trainee Warrior

Post by Romark »

My last one (which went OK) was:

Level 4 - Shadows
Focus Familier
Talisman of Endurance
Maybe Guiding Eye (cant remember exactly)

Shadows, Dark or Metal are usualy my Lore choices.
Sim2k
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sim2k »

Lvl 4

Dark or Shadow
Dagger
Pendant for miscasts

I like reading this topic title and then reading the name of the OP afterwards, makes me giggle...
Kairon of the Coiled Mist (Group 36 - warrior)

Stats: WS4 S4 T3 D3 I4
Equipment: Light Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Bastard Sword
Skills: None

I Love Daisy
Zantesuke
Warrior

Post by Zantesuke »

Lv 4 dark magic.
Pendant,
crown of command
black dragon egg
on dark steed.

Rush her in an heavy unit. Use all powerdice for soulstealer,
hope for a misscast to do damage to the unit in close combat,
pendant and soulstealer should keep her alive and crown allows her to keep the enemy tied up!
Dragon egg for extra damage!

Works for me! Love the expression on my opponents face when I declare a charge with my SS
No one ever survives life.
The_drachau
Trainee Warrior

Post by The_drachau »

I usually have my lvl 4 on foot in a unit of spearmen she can kil with her sacrificial dagger without the army losing to many points. For defense in combat and vs miscasts i take pendant of Khaeleth and black dragon egg. :)
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Haven't tried this one yet but could be good.

Lvl4 Dark Magic
Tome of Furion (to ensure she gets Soul Stealer)
Other Tricksters Shard
Black Amulet
Dark Pegasus

A T4 Sorceress with 6 wounds reflecting damage for Ward Saves she makes back onto the opponent who has no armour saves and has to re-roll successful Ward Saves as well.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex