How do you like your corsairs?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

How do you like your corsairs?

Post by Skullshatter »

Hey guys, as you know, if you have been reading my other posts, I have only been playing with the Druchii for a short while and don't know how to expand the corsairs I recieved in my battle force. So far, I have not really used them and haven't put one of their arms on as I don't know whether to give them bows or AHW.
So how do you more experienced guys play with your corsairs?

Mod's note:
Spell-checked for you, and used capital letters where they were expected.
I'd apreciate you would do it yourself next time. Thank you.

Calisson.
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

There are many ways to use corsairs.

-=-=-

Those who don't like them at all convert them into shades, or use them for DR conversions.
This can be forgiven when the owner is more a modelist than a tactician.
Indeed, there are several settings which seem to work well.

-=-=-

The strength of AHW corsairs lies in the sheer number of attacks they dish out. That means that for AHW corsairs, the SSS is nearly mandatory, however you can get only one SSS, so only one of such units.
With it, they compete with WE.
- Corsairs are core and quite protected against low S shooting, they can shelter any character. Their slavery rule is a bonus.
- WE have poison and can take another banner. They can be taken in tiny units of 5.
Having 3 attacks per model (plus one from 2nd rank) makes such unit a very aggressive one, ideally suited to eat alive large hordes of mediocre troops.
The many attacks are handy also if the unit happens to be flanked.
However, they lack strength against heavily armoured foes.
The high number of attacks makes WE and AHW/SSS corsairs ideally suited to get COB's KB blessing. They benefit tremendously from any magic buff.

A large unit of corsairs needs not to be taken as a horde, because as soon as their number falls below 30, the horde loses efficiency.
This unit should not be used as a regular 5 wide bus, because having ranks is not what they do best, especially compared to spearmen.
The setting I would recommand is 7 wide. That will optimize the number of attacks against infantry buses. If ever you happen to face a larger unit, expand. Only when facing a real tin can should you narrow the unit to 5, and hope that steadfast lasts long enough for the rescue to come.
A common size seems to get in the range of 20-30 AHW corsairs, FC, SSS, 7 wide, with a COB and a Shadows Lvl4 not far behind.

-=-=-

There have been some success in making a horde with 30-40 corsairs, FC, SSS, using the RHB variant.
The idea is to get two ranks of shooters = 40 shots, followed by 40 melee attacks. You get the idea. It is said to work well.

Some people are undecided about their single unit of 30 corsairs, shall they be given AHW of RHB. The solution is to build half of the unit with RHB and half with AHW, and placing whichever is in the army list on the front, the "wrong" ones on the rear, where they will be first removed as casualties.

-=-=-

The other way to use corsair is as a small unit.
10 RHB corsairs, just musician.
They make a nice unit to bother the opponent, harassing, taunting, sometimes fleeing. At 105 pts, they are small enough to be sacrificed, but annoying enough not to allow the opponent to ignore them.

-=-=-

Prepare to board! Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!
Last edited by Calisson on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Thank you Calisson for mentioning my creation of the 10 corsairs + musician (you forgot + champion with dual handbows though, but you're forgiven).

They are an amazing harassing unit. Not the easiest one to use though. Their M of 5 means you have to make each movement phase count.

Deploy them on flanks, preferably ones without an enemy unit they can't deal with head on.
March them full speed forward until they pass the enemy front. Then they start shining, get them behind enemy unit and simply follow them closely, showering them with incredibly accurate volleys of 22 bolts each turn.

They fulfill basically the same role Dark Riders would, but the differences are obvious:
They are harder to manoeuvre with their M5 and no free reform that fast cavalry is blessed with.
They are also harder to kill with their Sea Dragon Cloaks and double the wounds of a typical Dark Rider unit.
They have shorter range, but once in range they are incredibly accurate (They will always hit on 4+ as they don't suffer penalties for long range or shooting after move, 3+ if you feel like doing single shots)
They will take down any typical harassment unit of similar size with ease.
At 10 Wounds, and 22 shots hitting on 4+, they are a very viable threat compared to Dark Riders at 5 Wounds and 10 shots hitting on 5+ (and Dark Riders cost more too!).

One thing they can't do that Dark Riders can is that they're not very good redirectors, Harpies can do that job perfectly though.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I mostly use them as shades these days. In the past I used them as 7 wide or 10 wide with the Sea Serpent Standard so they could deal tons of attacks against any foes they met... the problem is that you won't wound much without buffs or debuffs on the enemy, so I don't use them anymore.

Many use them as that kind of close combat unit though, and with Killing Blow from a Cauldron of Blood, there's a good chance you can kill characters in close combat with them.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

In 7th ed I used to run them as a 10 wide screen (all with handbows) for my Black Guard. They work well as a screen because they are cheap enough to be disposable and have a better save. Place them out in front of the BG (leave a gap of about 4 - 6 inches). March them up into the face of the enemy (stop 8 inches away) and unload the bows. When charged flee back through the BG (who are ITP and don't care) and leave the enemy open to a tasty counter charge (a 12 - 14 inch charge for infantry was generally unassailable in 7th and resulted in the enemy failing ther charge and leaving them well within range). It is still a viable tactic in 8th however on one hand it is harder to perform due to the random charge distances making a 14 inch charge perfectly possible, meaning the enemy can now redirect into the BG. Also in this edition its not as important who gets the charge. However, on the other hand it has become easier because you can pre-measure, you can increase the numbers in your screen and decrease the width as you can fire in two ranks.

Dalamar - I like the idea, I've never thought of them like that. Would it be better to compare them to Shades (less the skirmish and scout special rules)? I can imagine they could fulfill a similar role. In fact for flying under the radar and chasing warmachines they may actually do a better job.... apart from it would take them a turn or two longer to get there.

I started a topic last week debating the flaming banner on handbow corsairs in an effort to try and get some use out of the models I have painted and gathering dust (shameless plug):

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=70825
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Sim2k
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sim2k »

I have fifteen (I messed up 2 of them and gave 3 to my girlfriend to paint) and I kind of have to use them to make up points.

Against low toughness armies I give them the frenzy banner, stick my Death Hag BSB and sometimes an assassin in there and let them go around murdering core troop choices and nastily surprising lower level characters.

Against ogres, dwarves or WoC I use them as a distraction. That's it.

Its worth noting here that I don't have a cauldron...
Kairon of the Coiled Mist (Group 36 - warrior)

Stats: WS4 S4 T3 D3 I4
Equipment: Light Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Bastard Sword
Skills: None

I Love Daisy
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Sim2k wrote:Its worth noting here that I don't have a cauldron...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I know what I'd get if I was you! :lol:

The Cauldron isn't an absolute must, but it gives you so much flexibility and is my backbone of my close combat lists. I'm not sure I could be without it anymore.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Sim2k
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sim2k »

I know I'm really missing out, but I don't really like the model so I'm loathe to spend moneys on it. Silly I know.

I Love Daisy
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I get that. But that's why you make your own CoB :)

I just use the bowl itself and the base, then I've got Lelith Hesperax with one knife over the bowl, standing a bit over it, while there's some spears and chains on a slightly bigger base I made. Also I got skulls around the dark ground and space for the two hags as well.

I have to do the final fixes soon, because I think it will look really good with a few more adjustments :)
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

(Sorry to derailed the thread further...)

There's loads of other examples of how to make alternative CoB's in the painting and modelling thread.

Also have a look at the Mantic Twilight Kin (Dark Elf) Sorceress - its a great alternative for the CoB Death Hag / crew. I've got one but I use it as my Supreme Sorceress with Sac Dagger....
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Sim2k
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sim2k »

Thanks guys I'll look into it :)

Now, back on topic! :P

I Love Daisy
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

As noted in another thread, I like to run a unit of 20 with the frenzy banner. i deploy them as wide as needed to maximize models in contact. Backed by shadow magic, the unit is plenty big enough to do the job. I am currently painting more, but rather than add to the unit, I plan to run a second unit of 20 with the Banner of Murder.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

I've often read buffing the corsairs with killing blow from the cauldron is quite common. Most of the time I haven't noticed much difference though. Is it used against heavily armored enemies to ignore their armor save? Do you use it against enemies with character models in them?
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

KB is more for the character killer than a cavalry killer (even though you can kill plenty knights with all the attacks from corsairs and witch elves). I often enjoy using my spear elves units to charge into (or get charged by) characters or deathstars, and just use KB to take the characters out.