Group 22

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Any other day, V would probably have taken offense to the stranger's tone, but she really couldn't be bothered at this time. Not Phalx, who answered the slight with his usual finesse. She shrugged. We don't have time for this.

Still moving on to Sevro, beckoning her friends to come with.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Okay Calisson in order of North to South we have; the gate, the square where Kirathi is on her fulcrum, the forces of Chaos spreading south into the City, a bit of an open stretch of road and then 'the group' meaning the 6 current players, then you two who were heading north but have stopped, and then Sevro and his regiment still a little way away to the south but heading towards all of you. There are no Skaven left in the immediate vicinity, just corpses on the ground.

Regarding your whirlwind spell, the Skaven died before you finished casting it so with no targets remaining I assumed Caraoc would let the attempt fail rather than cast it at nothing.

IC -

The meeting between the group and the two mercenaries was as blunt and brutal as could be without them actually trading blows, the tempers of the group already up because of their failure to reclaim the gate. An obvious mistrust passed between the two, but still Elysian and Phalx seemed willing to have the newcomers tag along. Letting them continue north, and no doubt to their deaths, would aid the group no further. Having two more sets of weapons on their side may just prove more use to them however. Caraoc and Casaythe were left with little time to make up their minds however, the majority of the members of this new group of mercenaries seemed not to care if they joined them or simply passed each other on the road.

Vryala shouldered past the corsairs as she spotted a familiar face further down the road behind them, beckoning for her friends to follow on which they did without waiting for an answer from Casaythe or Caraoc. Sevro was coming their way from the south, having led a contingent of his men east from the estate until they met the north road near the Nobles' Market. It was the same route Fiat and Saldrimek had taken on horseback, clearly the reason those two had made it back to the group so many minutes ahead of the rest. Sevro led two dozen men in a tight formation, six across and four deep with their Captain one step ahead of the front rank. Already their blades were slick with Skaven blood.

As they drew closer, Sevro called out to them, "Varin said you might be in trouble, but I knew you lot could handle yourselves. The streets this far have been teeming with ratmen, word is that Bane and the Khainites' broke them as they were driven out of ground near the Temple. Those that escaped the net of blades have fled into the City in small groups, no doubt looking for easier targets but finding only death upon Druchii swords."

He waved the hook that he wielded in place of his left hand in the direction of the east,

"The east gate holds, but the beastmen are attacking it going by the reports of the City Guard we have encountered. They're trying to rally whatever defenders they can to investigate those storm clouds in the skies behind you. That has to be the cause of this red rain, unless the Executioners' truly have pleased Khaine with their slaughter of the rats. But since you've been there already and look as battered and bloody as ever, what news from the North Gate?"

He paused and looked at the two mercenaries behind the six that he knew, giving them a cruel sneer as a welcome smile.

"And who the hell are you two?"
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

OOC: @ Nightcall; Elysian is an orphan raised by a criminal gang in the slums of Vikrah. He might think of himself as cleaver but he is anything but posh.

IC: It seemed that Sevro was not far away, unfortunately although he had some troops with him they were nowhere near enough to stem the tide, that was a task far beyond house Blackthorn or indeed any one noble house. If they all put their guards at the disposal of the city rather than fortifying their precious mansions that might have been a different story but altruism was not the Druchii way. Not knowing the guard captain very well Elysian waited for one of the others to answer Sevro but none of them seemed in the mood to talk.

"The gate is open; Chaos is entering the city as we speak. Kirathi and Kronos held us off too long. These two are mouthy civilians but they have weapons and every little helps, though I think they were planning on retaking the gate all by themselves."
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

From the North had come six newcomers, all Druchii. They had spontaneously helped Caraythe and Caraok against the Skaven. They were obviously professional fighters, they had killed those rats with benign neglect.
Two of them were deeply wounded, they could not be mistaken for cowards fleeing away from menial danger. Who knows how many dead they had left behind?
Caraoc chose to trust them. He told Caraythe:
"No need to fight each other when our blood is scarce and direly needed somewhere. Let's listen first to what they have to say."

From the South came an organized troop.
The two groups seemed to know each other.
They might be happy to have two more corsairs with them, on the other hand, they would have no trouble to get rid of them two.

Obviously the guards from the South were sent to reinforce the North Gate. Was it to be defended or not?
The most urgent was to understand the situation.
Caraoc asked the one who gave some details (OOC: Elysian).
"What are these lost and damned who entered the Northern Gate? Not Skaven, are they?"

Meanwhile, the nobleman commanding the guards asked them, in a way that hardly could be ignored: "And who the hell are you two?"
Caraoc replied to him with a soft, neutral voice.
"Sir, we are two corsairs left here without ship. We have been living in this city for some days now. We are were asked to help defending the City in the North Gate. Is there still anything to defend?"

Establishing contact, evaluating the situation.

OOC @ Kinslayer: thanks, no need to cast spells when no target can admire its effect.
Mount: -
Gold: 100
Skills: Power of Azyr (2), Evasion
Class: Mage
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Casaythe listened to Caraoc's reasoning and gave a nod. 'You're right there.' Turning to the group he gave his reply. 'I'll join you if you'll have me.' This lot seemed to know what they were doing, and considering the city was going to hell, it would be best for Casaythe's and Caraoc's survival odds if they aligned themselves with a band of experienced warriors. The Skaven and Mathlann knew what was running around the city. Above them the unnatural storm raged still, and the look alone on the faces of the warriors told Casaythe that something was seriously amiss.

They were in a great hurry, and without further conversation, the strangers passed through Casaythe and Caraoc to the group of Druchii that was heading towards them from the south. It seemed that they were acquainted with one of them, the warrior leading a unit of two dozen men. It was evident that these too had been fighting, their weapons were wet. The leader of this unit gave a report of his actions to the strangers, and waved a hand... or rather a hook. He paused and sneered towards Caraoc and Casaythe, enquiring in less than friendly tones about their identities.

Considering the circumstances, Casaythe kept his mouth shut, allowing Caraoc to do the talking.

Trying to melt in to the other party, as he thinks it will improve his survival changes.

((OOC: Thanks Drainial, it's always tricky to pick things up when diving in to a well established group. I hope I don't make too many cock-ups, but if I do, please continue to give me a nudge. I appreciate it. ;) ))
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Ignoring Corsair dealings in light of the situation's urgency, Vryala added to Elysian's report to Sevro.
Ranks upon ranks of large and heavily armored Northmen, a mass of barbaric Marauders burning and pillaging in their wake. I hope to Khaine the Drach has a contingency plan for the fallen North Gate, because the horde spreads at an alarming rate. We won't be able to contain them with the men you brought, much less drive them back out. Where should we make our stand, Captain?

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Phalx looked at the pair following them. He was barely used to old finger wiggly Elysian. If these gits thought they were joining them they best reevaluate. They best watch themselves, insulting fools. The thick blood rain continued to fall, as the city battled for its life.

They came to Servo and the rest of the guards, and the others filled him in. Phalx headed over to a covered doorway, getting out of this thrice damned rain. His eyes were on the road they had come down, peeled for any coming threat.

Phalx will wait to move with the others. Until then, he will keep an eye on the road leading to the North Gate.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The group headed straight for Sevro as soon as they saw him, leaving Caraoc and Casaythe little option but to follow their lead. Some members of the group had said they could join them, others had said nothing at all, while one in particular seemed to greet the pair with outright contempt. Introductions could wait however, as Sevro quickly established command of the situation by giving them an update on all he had heard, and asking for theirs in return. Vryala informed him of the gate falling, of the Chaos Warriors and Marauders now burning their way into northern Vikarh. This also answered Caraocs' question about what lay further north, one which the group had previously ignored. Now that they knew however, the Corsairs showed no great desire to continue north on their own.

The rest of the group were happy to let Vryala talk to Sevro, she was after all the one who knew him best and most intimately. She trusted him, and they trusted her.

"If the North Gate has fallen you must get word to the Drach and his forces, although with storm clouds like those he is probably already aware something is up. I last saw Varin heading in that direction too, so perhaps help is already on its way. Me and my men can hold the road here, there's no way we can retake the north without aid. Head south, find Varin or Bane, tell them what has happened and make sure when you come back, there's an army alongside you!"

Sevro nodded left and right, and his men spread out into two ranks of twelve that spanned the width of the road. The front rank knelt down, as all of them drew their repeater crossbows.

The scar-faced Captain looked again at the Corsair and the Astromancer before he added,

"You two can go with them, or you can go somewhere else. I don't want you getting in my way."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Caraoc and Casaythe had been enlisted by force to go defend the North Gate.
Any pretext not to be committed to that task was good enough.

Caraoc told Casaythe:
"Two members of this group are wounded. Their fighting skills will be sorely missed. We should contribute to fill up the ranks."
Hopefully, they won't mind my singing.

To the group:
"Who's your leader?"

Inviting Casaythe to join the group.

Class: Mage (Astromancer)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

As the infantry took formation, Casaythe nodded. The mood improving effects of the liquor were wearing off, and he gulped to himself as the severity of the situation became apparent. He never had reason before to see the Drach, knowing it was better to avoid becoming noticed by the higher echelons, he had deliberately kept a low profile during his stay in Vikarh. But all this was possibly about to change. This lot must be of some renown indeed if they could demand audience whenever they pleased.

'Let's go then.' he remarked, leaning his glaive over his shoulder and beginning to jog south with the others, ignoring the hostility and cold welcome received.

Casaythe is making his way with the rest of the group.
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Sevro listened intently to what Elysian and V had to say, then instructed the group accordingly: bring word to Varin posthaste, failing that to Bane - the latter a prospect not particularly attractive to Vryala. Seeing as the Captain and his men intended to hold this very road, the group had better act fast and return with ample reinforcements. Though fearing for her lover's life, V recognised the future of the City itself was hanging in the balance; they could not fail him again.

The two Corsairs seemed intent to join them, and V could but welcome their assistance, despite their questionable background - when all's said a blade is still a blade, and they'd need as many as possible in the hours ahead. One of the newcomers inquired about the group's loyalty, his skin darker than any of her comrades' - if she wasn't mistaken, a Mage of some sorts, as he'd showed himself able to manipulate lightning with but a motion of his staff.

We answer to Varin Blackthorn, a local Noble of considerable standing. I have no doubt that, should we survive, he will reward you handsomely for aiding our cause. Until such time you'll have to make do with doing the right thing for its own sake.

She knew the likely place to encounter either Blackthorn or Kalius was at the Drach's abode. Kind of funny to return to the place we almost got executed. I can but hope that woman can be convinced of our sincerity. The glaive-wielding brigand seemed eager to take off; Vryala wondered if he had any idea of what the Midnight Guard could do to him, but reckoned it wiser to keep silent about it. She put her hand on the Captain's shoulder. We'll be back as soon as we can. For Khaine's mercy, Sevro, stay alive!

Onwards, to the Drach's Tower!
Last edited by Raneth on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Elysian nodded having nothing to add.

Indeed, onward.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Most of the group remained silent as they waited in the street, Elysian nodding as Vryala discussed their next course of action with Sevro and told Casaythe and Caraoc they could tag along. Phalx continued to eye the two with obvious disdain, while Fiat, Saldrimek and Karonath seemed to barely even register their presence. The Khainites' were intent on finding more foes to slaughter, whilst Fiat was too badly wounded to speak at all. The Guard Captain had made his suggestion now though, and Vryala quickly accepted his decision to stay on the road and led the group off again. They were heading south now towards the middle of Vikarh, in search of their Noble employer or, failing that, Kalius Bane of the Midnight Guard. They all hoped they found Varin first, even Casaythe and Caraoc having picked up on the reputation of the Drachs' legion since they recently arrived in Vikarh.

They headed south until Sevro and the guards they had left behind were lost from sight if they turned back to look. As they moved, they seemed to reach the end of the unnatural rainfall, and the droning beat of the rain was replaced once more with the distant thump of Reaper fire, and the echoes of strangled screams and metallic clashes from all around. In places there were dead Skaven, in others there were dead Druchii, be they mercenaries, civilians or even members of the City Guard. The closer they got to the City centre, the more dead ratmen they found, confirming what they had heard. The Drachs' forces had been busy slaughtering the rats, those City Guard that had ventured into the sewers having flushed them out somewhere nearby. The fighting had been bloody and brutal, and they knew by the state of the dead rats that no ordinary guard force had been killing here.

They began to see more Druchii too, the City not abandoned despite the sudden empty atmosphere to the north. Most of the City Guard were in the east, manning the walls and holding the gate in the face of the horrors which attacked them there. Many commoners had stayed in the far south, and those that had weapons to wield were even now being encouraged east or north. Those that moved north did not follow the main street, the group instead spotting warbands of several Druchii at a time moving down the alleys and smaller roads in search of Skaven to kill. They also passed some members of the City Guard, a few of which were trying to find their Captains and decide where to go, while others instead tried to tell the group where to go as they passed them.

When the troop of eight heavily armed and seemingly blood soaked mercenaries did not head east as instructed, none of them had the nerve to stop them and ask again.

They encountered the first sign of a battle rather than a skirmish soon after as they neared the Tower of the Drach, the dark building already looming over them and casting a foreboding shadow over the road. The number of Skaven dead began to rise, from one here and two there to dozens of dead and heaps of bodies so bloodied and broken they were beyond count. It was the work of Vikarhs' finest, they could see that from the lack of Druchii bodies alongside the dead rats. They had to wade through hundreds of the dead vermin before they caught a glimpse of gold amidst the field of gore, the first body of one of the Temples' Executioners they had encountered. The warrior had gone down only after creating a ring of dead Skaven around him, and even in death his Draich was embedded in the neck of the ratman that had bested him.

They approached the end of the north road, where a wide circular plaza opened out before them which surrounded the well defended Tower of the Drach. The tower itself, as well as all the lesser buildings that made up the houses of power within Vikarh, was surrounded by a twenty foot black iron fence, and as they approached its northern side they could see no vermin had penetrated within. All around the Skaven lay dead and dying though, and here they saw for the first time the forces of the Drach and the Temple arrayed side by side. Dozens of Executioners walked around the fallen rats, dispatching those that still lived with elegant decapitating strokes of their fine Draichs. Beyond them, a hundred or more of the gold armoured Khainite elite stood to attention, listening to orders from their Captain.

As impressive and darkly resplendent as the Executioners were in their gold and silver armour, they made less of an immediate impression on the mercenaries as did the chilling sight that was the Midnight Guard. There were some thirty or forty of the warriors, armoured entirely in black and the deep silver of iron and steel. They were allowed to wear no other colour, and yet each of them was splattered in red, the blood of the ratmen covering them all. Several bore black plumes atop their helmets, marking them out as regiment leaders or perhaps warriors personally honoured by the Drach. Only one of them bore a red plume upon her helmet, and those of them that had met her knew exactly who she was. Those that had not would be fools not to realize either, for they were looking upon the second most powerful being in all of Vikarh, with more authority than even the Hag of the Temple.

It was none other than Kalius Bane, the Captain of the Midnight Guard and the Drach of Vikarhs' personal champion.

Bane was giving her force new orders now that the Skaven had been broken, leaving what remained of their number for the City Guard and citizens to hunt through the streets and destroy. As the group emerged onto the plaza at its northern edge, the forces of the Drach and Temple began to march towards them, no doubt moving around the Tower of the Drach to head off to the East Gate. The small army, numbering some forty Midnight Guard and nearly two hundred Executioners, was still a few hundred yards away from the group but was now heading their way fast. Even at this distance, they seemed to feel Banes' cold gaze burning into their will as they looked upon her and felt her look upon them. Elysian and Caraoc felt a similar feeling of dread in that moment, knowing their arcane talents had to remain hidden from her if they wanted to live. Their very existence was a crime by the reckoning of the Witch King, and she was his authority in this City.

A shrill cry from above suddenly caused them all to look up, and a dark shadow swept over them as a great beast sped through the air overhead. The appearance of the creature shocked Caraoc and Casaythe, but as it circled around and descended towards the group the others knew instantly what and who it was. Varin Blackthorn swept down towards them atop his mighty Dark Pegasus, the creature carrying itself aloft on leathery black wings. Varin touched down just in front of the group, his Pegasus stomping to a halt on powerful hooves as it lowered its head and presented them with a two foot long horn of black bone. The temperamental creature snarled and blew steam from its nostrils as it beat its hoof upon the ground, but Varin calmed it with a gentle pat on the neck and then swung himself out of the saddle. He met them with his usual calm tone, despite the situation.

"Too bad you missed the slaughter, it was quite a sight from up there! I have already informed Bane that something is amiss at the North Gate, she is heading our way now and intends to investigate. Most of her forces are needed in the east however, and she will not take more than a handful north until she knows what she is up against. Since you've come all the way back down here, I guess you are about to tell me exactly that?"

Varin waited for an answer, seeming only now to notice the Corsair and Mage lurking behind those he was familiar with. He greeted them with a casual nod, which given the circumstances was a lot coming from a highborn to a lowly mercenary.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

During the trip to the Tower of the Drach, Caraoc decided that the mood was not adequate for singing a merry corsair song.
As it seemed safer to appear to be a corsair than a mage, he readied his repeater handbow and wrapped himself in his Sea Dragon Cloak.

While walking amidst dead and dying, it was not easy to get along the new group.
Still, Caraoc tried to chat a few casual words with every member of the group, at least to get the names and tell his own and Casaythe's.

-=-=-

Arriving at the Drach's tower, the best course was to stay behind the other members of the group, and to remain quiet. So he did.
The sight of a Dark Pegasus was not the first he had, but that one... wow, this one looks like a champion of its kind.
Caraoc wondered who was the rider. He seemed to know well the other members of the group.
Well, let's see what happens.

Polite and superficial contact with the group.

Last edited by Calisson on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Casaythe hurried south, at the rear of the group as they made their way to the Drach's dwelling. He kept silent, keen to observe and take in what he could learn from his new companions, and also of the evidence of battle throughout the city. There was much to see.

The further south they travelled, the more frenzied the fight had appeared to be. Casaythe was surprised to see that the skaven had been so confident of their attack at the heart of the city. Masters of deceit and cunning, the creatures usually sent enormous packs of slaves in to give the impression of a full attack, whilst their true host struck elsewhere from gnawed tunnels, leaving their targets unprepared or weakened. This had been true in the Empire, and he shook his head to himself as he recalled that particular adventure. He only hoped that the defenders of Vikarh were not being tricked by the verminous host. At this moment he was unaware of the state of the sewers and tunnels beneath their feet. Were they clear? Or were more ratmen lurking below, ready to strike?

Deep in his thoughts, he noticed the piles of furred corpses as they grew closer to the Drach's tower, until the stacks were of enormous proportions. Hundreds felled by Druchii hand. The long tower cast a shadow that sent a shiver through the corsair. That was not nearly as un-nerving as the troops that could be seen as they entered the plaza, the northern side of the tower facing them. Before a twenty foot high fence, Executioners, and what he could only think were Elites of some sort, were doing what they did best. He assumed it was they who had reaped a terrible harvest, noting the corpses sprawled all around. Only then did he notice they were clear of the bloody rain.

A shadow circled the plaza flags and he looked up at hearing a shrill cry. His eyes widened as he saw a Druchii on a dark pegasus descending. The beast landed in the square fiercely, its hooves pawing the ground as it snorted angrily and nodded its head as if threatening them with its long bone horn. Sat atop the terrible beast was a Druchii, who calmed his steed before dismounting. Casaythe had heard of sorceresses who rode such beasts into battle, casting bolts of dark magic upon their enemies from the skies.

He tried to keep a low profile, standing at the back of the group with Caraoc as the elf addressed the group. This fellow seemed to know them by the familiarity in his voice. It was only after he had finished speaking that his keen gaze fell upon Casaythe and Caraoc, acknowledging them with a nod.

Casaythe returned the gesture, then twisted his hair to squeeze as much of the now congealing blood from it as possible, before removing it from its binding. If he was about to rub shoulders with the great and terrible of Vikarh, he at least wanted to look as close to presentable as he was able. "But what if this is the Drach?" he questioned inwardly. Thinking best manners would be wise in this situation, he followed with a respectful salute.

He has no idea who this pegasus riding fellow is, and is on best behaviour waiting to see what happens.

Mod, Group 38
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

The group sped through the City, passing dead rats and Druchii alike on their way, until finally the Tower of the Drach revealed itself once more. A terrifying force was assembled in this inner stronghold, consisting of Executioners and Midnight Guard, while none knew what waited at the gates. Hopefully, in deploying so, the Drach had managed to obliterate the Skaven altogether - surely any more complications would spell Vikarh's demise.

Bane made her way in their direction, her icy glare once more kindling a thirst for revenge in Vryala's heart. Luckily, Varin returned that very instant, making a point of his classy entrance.

Trust me Boss, we've seen plenty slaughter, worse yet Sevro and his men are still in the thick of it! Kronus and his thrice-damned Sorceress proved too much to overcome; the Chaos horde spreads inward even as we speak. The Captain holds the North Road for now, but it is a losing battle!

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

There was little time for them to explain to their Master what had happened, Kalius Bane quickly approaching from the far side of the plaza with her troops ranked behind her. Vryala gave Varin what details she could, telling him of the Northmen that even now butchered their way into the City, and of Sevro holding the road against such impossible odds. Varin nodded and stroked his chin thoughtfully, pondering over their dark tidings as Bane closed in. It was then that Casaythe, unsure exactly who he was addressing, saluted him as a sign of respect. This made Varin chuckle, despite the grave situation.

"No need to salute, I am not your Captain. My name is Varin Blackthorn, the Lord of my House, and a Councillor of Vikarh. If you are friends of my here hit team, then you can call me friend as well, Casaythe, and you, Caraoc."

He learned their names as they said them, when he paused and looked at each of them in turn. He then turned suddenly serious again,

"Perhaps we will meet again if you survive this night. Your true Lord now approaches, the voice of Vikarh and Commander of it's armies. Do not salute, she may take it as a mockery and cut off your hands. Just sit quiet and let me talk."

Varin turned to face the forces that now crossed the last few yards towards them, guiding his mount into trotting aside as to not get in their way. For a moment the group thought the Midnight Guard and Khainites' might be about to march straight through them, the wall of blades and cruel faces alone enough to make them consider taking a step back as the distance closed to just a few feet. The whole regiment of Executioners suddenly halted however, as Kalius Bane held up a fist. Her Midnight Guardians fell silent and still behind her, each of them still clutching a halberd that dripped with gore. They watched and waited as their Captain strode forwards to speak to Varin, his intent obvious by the fact he had not stepped aside as she approached.

Bane was an imposing figure, tall and broad for a female Druchii and covered from head to toe in intricate and spiked armour of black iron. Her head was covered by a helmet topped with a tall red plume of hair, which word had it was in honour of the blood she had spilled in the name of the Drach to gain her position, the blood of the last Captain of the Midnight Guard. Bane had supposedly held the position uncontested for centuries, and one look in her ice blue eyes took away any doubt they might have had that it was true. Her stare was as chilling as the highest tip of the Spiteful Peaks, and the sheer willpower behind it made all look away. She still clutched her Starmace, the viciously topped weapon resting on her shoulder as she addressed Varin with obvious contempt.

"Blackthorn. What fell news do you bring me now, I already said I would have my men check the North Gate."

Varin gave her their report, telling her how Kronus had betrayed the City and how the Northmen were already inside, Marauders burning their way through the Nobles' Quarter in their wake.

Bane seemed to pause for the briefest of moments, as if trying to decide whether to believe them or to simply cut them down on the spot for getting under her feet once again. She seemed too distracted or utterly uncaring to notice the Corsairs.

"Tirathai! Lead your Executioners to the East Gate as planned. Sally forth and destroy this beastman horde and the abominations that fight alongside them."

The Executioner Champion responded to her order at once, marching again quicker than she could issue her second command.

"Valathorn!" A familiar looking Midnight Guardian stepped forwards, "Take five men, head to the Temple of Vikarh, and summon the Hag and her Maibds to battle."

"Rhamek!" She called another forwards, "Take a dozen south into the Commoners Quarter. If there are indeed more Skaven creatures, see that they are slain."

Kallihadus!" This Guardian was most familiar to the group, they had last spoken to him when they fought together in the Black Wood Forest, but he did not pause to greet them here. "Go alone, back to the Tower. Tell the Drach his blade may be needed before this night is through, repeat all you have heard here."

The small contingents of Midnight Guardians were already leaving, the Executioners now half way across the plaza in a quick march east. Now Bane turned back to Varin, passing her gaze across the mercenaries as she did so.

"I will head to the North Gate and see personally that Kronus and his Seer are brought to justice in the name of the Drach of Vikarh. The warriors behind me will leave no Northman alive."

The regiment began to move, the group stepping aside to let them pass as Kalius Bane stepped past them before turning and saying one last thing before she departed.

"And Blackthorn, if you bring me any more bad news tonight I will cut out your tongue and feed it to that mount of yours. The same fate will await your warriors too."

Only once the last rank of Midnight Guardians had moved past did Varin speak again, looking around in all directions as he hopped back into the saddle of his foul tempered steed.

"I will fly ahead to get Sevro out of her way, I will pull his small force back to the estate before the Northmen reach it. If he is there, I trust that the walls of our home will not fall to these savages.

For you, the decision is yours. Vikarh still needs saving, seemingly from every angle but above."

OOC - Yep that's right, I wanted to leave this next choice completely up to you guys, and will decide by a majority vote. Casaythe & Caraoc can offer their opinions and vote too.

- Head north again and hunt Chaos Warriors / Marauders in the streets.

- Head north and go for the gate, ensuring Bane finds Kronus and Kirathi.

- Head south, where sightings of Rat Ogres and other nasties are rumoured.

- Head east, either onto the wall or out through the gate to fight orcs & beasts.

- Anything else you want to suggest...
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Varin and Bane did the talking, and Vryala stepped back holding back a growl of indignity as the Commander of the Midnight Guard spoke her part. V would not soon forget that blasted Starmace, not after the damage it had wrought upon her so recently. Even after old Yurul's tendings her ribs yet stung with every breath, and after the injury suffered by Kirathi's arcane blades the pain had only grown more intense.

The sight of Valathorn, Rhamek and especially Kallihadus surviving to see this day did spark some righteous Druchii pride within V. Vikarh needed such warriors now more than ever. The Midnight Guard quickly dispersed, Bane having issued her orders and stating her intent to face the Chaos horde up north herself. Blackthorn assured them he'd bail out Sevro, no doubt using Bane's forces as a distraction like the sly old dog he was, leaving the group truly free in their next move.

Though the honour of the kill would not be her own, Vryala felt sure both Kronus and Kirathi would be aptly dealt with. There wasn't the luxury for personal glory at times such as these, and she well realized. On the other hand, chasing the morsels of the Midnight Guard like a bunch of scavengers didn't seem like the best use of their time either. Then what, to the east with Tirathai's brotherhood? She would enjoy the sight, as she'd be sure Karonath would. New reports came, however, revealing there was still some Skaven activity near the South gate. Especially the sightings of the giant 'Moulder' mutants had her worried. We could go aid Kalius or Tirathai, but with such power under their respective command our presence wouldn't really be making a difference. Best to ensure they can focus on the job.

The rats survived Bane's assault, then? she mused. We should finish what she could not, and quash their last resistance!

Votes South, to back up Rhamek.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The prospect of going back to the blood rain did not appeal much to Caraoc.
His instincts would lead him to the river, where he could find a ship.

His experience would lead him west, as this direction seemed uncovered. Indeed, the simultaneous assault from three directions by diverse forces was no coincidence, and leaving the fourth side defenseless might be playing the enemies's plan.

But Caraoc was new to the group, and even with Casaythe he claimed not to get the lead.
He just said:
"Two of us are severely wounded. They need the help of two more of us.
Is there some place to leave them to heal?
That would leave the remaining six able to fight with more freedom."

Suggesting to let the wounded be healed somewhere.

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Phalx listened to Bane and the others. The city was being fucked up the arse by the sounds of it, and it was coming from all directions. Wherever he went there would bedeath waiting for him. Piss and bloody darkness, he thought, I need a drink. He quickly reloaded Deathspitter with some of his poison laced bolts, the ones with two marks on the case. These would see most buggers dead in a moment. The Shade had no doubt that whatever he was going to be facing would not go down so easily, but it couldn't hurt to use them.

The rain continued to fall, no doubt characters like Bane quite enjoyed it. He flicked the worst of it from his hair, he would be stinking for weeks. Phalx jestured south, agreeing with the others, for once he was in no mood to argue. He was tired and angry at being beaten back at the North gate. Just give me something to kill, he growled with frustration, ready to head off.

Phalx's vote is to head south.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The commander of the Midnight guard did not appear to be in a very good mood, even threatening Blackthorn with dire punishment should he so much as bring her vital recognisance. Despite the foolishness of that order Elysian was not about to argue, let the highborn deal with one another. A knight for a knight, a thief for a thief and a dagger in the dark for the strong by the weak.

"Given some of our unorthodox tactics it might be well to stay away from direct supervision by city officials," Elysian reminded the group, he did not state outright his fears of using his powers near Bane or any of the temple Khainites, they were still all too near the palace for that
"South or east I would say, alone we will be less hampered and more useful."

South or east.

Gentleman of Moderation
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

The rider of the dark pegasus introduced himself, and considering the circumstances, seemed calm, even friendly. The corsair had no doubt that this would change if he and Caraoc were to be considered enemies and not friends. They were in the thick of things now, and he realised that their aid to the group they had recently met, was now an obligation.

He took the advice of Varin Blackthorn, and remained quiet when the terrible form of the leader of the Midnight Guard Approached. Clad in spiky armour from head to foot, he realised that this was not the sort of woman to fall for his charms, no matter how many tales of bravery or goblets of wine. She rather looked the sort who would cut off a Druchii's loins and feed them to a nauglir if he even looked at her the wrong way. So instead, Casaythe looked at his feet, not daring even to risk eye contact with this formidable Druchii. After hearing the report of the situation that Vikarh found itself in, she called out orders, which were obeyed immediately. Varin mounted his steed to fly to the Captain and his regiment that Casaythe had seen earlier, whilst the terrible Midnight Guard went to see to the threat at the North Gate.

Casaythe listened as the group discussed their decision. A few of the others suggested south, and Casaythe agreed this would be a fine idea. For the first time in months, he found himself feeling... helpful. Was he trying to impress the new group and fit in? He could not quite understand it, but piped up after the others had spoken.

'About five years ago I was in the human city of Altdorf. Long story, I won't go into it now. Anyway, they've got these sewers right, that run into that big river of theirs. Filled to the brim with rat bastards. They'd plague the city, but at one point tried something big. Sent a small army to the Temple of Sigmar, which tied up the guard. Meanwhile, their real force hit the Slums. You should have seen the size of some of those buggers. Had some funny contraptions too. Wheels. And green glowing stuff. Nasty.' He fidgeted with his bracers before adding, 'Of course, I didn't pay it much attention. Got my job done and sailed out before I saw the end of it. What I'm trying to say, is I don't think we've seen the end of those ass-biters. Not their style to send everyone in all together.'

'I say we go south and see what they're really up to. It'd suit those sneaky bastards to strike when the city is weakened.' "Weakened." he thought with a smirk. "Fucked, more like." He cursed himself that he hadn't snatched a bottle of something from the bar earlier.

Casaythe has voted to go south. He feels that the Skaven earlier were just a diversion, and that the attack force proper is making ready to strike.
Last edited by Nightcall on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Calling friend a Lord? How unexpected. I thought they had none.
Well, if there is a chance to prove me wrong, better not miss it.

Casaythe approached Varin at a distance of three blades with a respectful attitude.
"Lord Varin Blackthorn, thank you for your welcome.
In time of dire need, one recognizes his friends.
Time has come for Casaythe and myself to fight on your side. "

Caraoc turned then towards the group, talking loudly so that Varin could hear.
Vikarh's best troops take care of the most serious threats. Irregular troops like this group are wisely used to take care of irregular threats.
I concur that we shall go south. We will search for remaining Skaven and monitor a possible second wave.

Before that, what shall we do with the wounded?"

Voting South.

Last edited by Calisson on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

A few last words were given to Varin by Caraoc before the highborn departed, leaving the group to discuss their next plan of action completely without order or direction. It was up to them, but whichever direction they chose to go in they were bound to find an enemy with the City in its current state. The general consensus was to go south, with a few members of the group also suggesting they go east. They knew north was now covered by Bane, just as east was by the Executioners of the Temple of Khaine. They knew also that the Hag too was to join the fight, and now perhaps even the Drach himself, but had no idea where such warriors would put their blades and skill to work. Since the Commoners Quarter was no doubt their least concern however, it seemed the most likely place that help would be required if there were still enemies left to deal with.

As the group seemed to reach a mutual agreement, just waiting on the last few members to speak their minds, Fiat addressed Caraoc about his other concerns.

"I may be wounded but I'm not about to lay down my blade and sleep it off, and I think I can speak for Saldrimek too when I say we are with the others until the very end."

The axe wielding Khainite nodded his head, "We work together, unless instructed otherwise by Blackthorn. Besides, even one handed I'd take either one of you in combat."

This got a little laugh from the rest of the group, the comment made in jest despite the possibility that it might be true. Saldrimek was a warrior born of the Temple, just like those now heading to the East Gate.

Fiat spoke up next, addressing Caraoc and also filling Casaythe in about the reason they were surrounded by so many Skaven dead, knowledge the pair were apparently not already privy to.

"Most of the ratmen lay dead around us, whatever their plan may have been the Drach of Vikarh up there in his tower had a better one. Small teams of mercenaries and City Guard have been into the sewers over the last few days, collapsing a few essential tunnels and driving the rats inwards from every angle. It was a well orchestrated maneuver, one that myself and Saldrimek were a part of last night. The Skaven were forced together right under this plaza, where they emerged into the City onto the waiting blades of those who just departed. The rats however are cowardly creatures, not all of them died here as it sounds like many have fled into the streets in small numbers. We've already encountered a few such packs of the vermin.

It sounds like there's some of their overgrown friends in the south however, another enemy us lot have faced before as well. My guess is they killed the Druchii supposed to goad them here, and found their way to the surface in other parts of Vikarh.

So, does this mean we all agree to head South?"

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Never question a Khainite about his will to fight till death.

Caraoc answered Fiat & Saldrimek:
"Oh? We corsairs are eager to heal and survive, in order to fight and plunder another day. I understood that this group was able to withdraw from a losing fight too, but I guess that there's some nuance I need to learn.
No need to fight on that, there are enough foes to show our skills in a more useful way.

Overgrown vermins are to be found on South, you said. Anything else we are waiting for?"

Aiming South.