2500p for comp-of-(Questionable-)Gentlemanliness HELP

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

2500p for comp-of-(Questionable-)Gentlemanliness HELP

Post by Gastronauticon »

Ok, so there is this tournament coming up, right. Therefore I could use some help. Normally, I´d go for a khanite buildbacked by heavy magic. It has worked well in the past and that list, I know how to play.

This time, however, there are Constraints. A considerable part of the tournament is the team competition which calls for rather special builds as well as gentlemanly conduct. As for the conduct, I have a coach but the list needs some thinking done. Thus, I turn to You d-netters.

But first the Constraints:
No lord-level wizards
One unit must be precisely 500pts
The entire list must be precisely 2500pts
No double specials/rares

So anyways, I had a look on the recent etc-lists and came up with the following. It is not quite tloedg but I feel the Constraints warrant some stern measures.

Lord on Dragon /569
Sea dragon cloak, shield
Armor of eternal servitude, Dragonbane gem, Black dragon egg, Whip of agony, Ironcurse Icon

Kind of defensive build I guess. Dual breath attacks to trim ranks on opposing infantry. Other ideas? OTS perhaps?

Master BSB on Cold one /214
Full armor kit, lance
Hydra banner

This guy is gentlemanly but a CoB could provide more value. Or?

Master on Pegasus /198
Full armor kit, repeating handbow
Pendant of Khalaeth, Soulrender

Cheesy but rather dashing…

Sorcreress L2 metal /160
Dispell scroll

Is metal the thing this list needs?

Hydra /175

15 Cold One Knights /500
Full command
w/ Banner of Hag Graef, Other tricksters shard, Charmed Shield

BSB go with these guys. Ring of hotek would be nice but I don’t seem to fit it into a 500p unit. A unit if witch elves and a COB bsb is a potential replacement for this unit but much slower and thus not as good a support for the dragonlord. Or is it?

40 Spearmen /270
Full command
w/ Banner of discipline

11 Crossbowmen /125
Muso, standard

Sorceress go here.

5 Dark Riders /117
Muso & RxBs

5 Dark Riders /117
Muso & RxBs

5 Harpies /55

//2500 points sharp

So the way I picture this is to rush up one flank with the fast hitty stuff, take out some medium unit or two and then try to keep losses to a minimum. I could use some more diverters/war machine hunters but how to fit them?

Also, I am considering a metal mage. The signature spell comes in handy against Stanks and the such. One option would be to run her as L1 and use the extra points to get Ruby ring.

Other ideas? Would it work? Any input greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Gastronauticon on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

I played a game against OK the other night.

The game went all right. Ran over a thundertusk and some regular ogres with the knights. The dragon ate a tyrannt (got lucky).
Game would have ended at 16-4 had I not slipped and lost the dragon to the Gutstar the last turn. Now it came down to about 11-9.

While not conclusive, the main idea of an attempted breakthrough in turn 2 followed by general point denial maouvering seems simple enough.

Not sure about the magic though. Metal is not great against OK though agaist most armies, it would probably be generally useful. Any other suggestions anyone?

I am also considering jaming the pegmaster into the knight unit initially. Less space required and, even though his footprint wont match, he could potentiallty make a decent challenge-accepter. With the two banners in the knight unit, he would dish out 4 S6 attack at his intiative rather than ASL.

Any other suggestions? Help really appreciated.

Please hold.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Metal is not a great choice for a tournament since some of the spells are worthless against certain armies, and having only a level 2 means a higher probability of a poor spell selection, getting stuck with the stuff you don't want. I would probably take Fire or Death. Fire in hope of getting Flaming Sword, but even if you don't Fireball is almost always useful, and Death for character-sniping and Soulblight is universally useful as well.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

As Dyvim Tvar says, the power of Metal Lore comes through only against heavy armored lists, and might be rather useless against some. Even worse, a Warriors of Chaos list might use your spells against you, killing the dragon and your knights swiftly.

As you have a decent amount of armor killing, I'd rather go for some damage dealing spells which can take out chaff and smaller units... or halt shooting from some units. I'd consider dark magic as it's a lore where the sorceress can actually get spells through at level 2 and has quite decent spells.

If you don't like the range of Dark Magic, I think fire can work quite well... Death is nice for sniping, but it's rather random with its effects and has a rather high casting value for a level 2...

What about adding Ruby ring of Ruin on her? :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Thanks lads! I have a lot of fond memories from Dark so I will try that for the next battle. Ruby ring would be very nice but getting the points for it might get a bit tricky since the grand total will have to sum up to an even 2500.

The gear on the dragonlord and cok-champ then, is that ok?

Please hold.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You have pretty solid equipment choices, and given the funny points requirement I don't see the need to mess with what you have.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Played the list this weekend at a local tournament. It did not fly very well at all.

Knights did ok but were not points efficient and usually ended up below half strength meaning 50% vp for the opponent (as per tournament rules).

Dragon proved very squishy, even against non-cannon opposition. Against cannon armed opposition, well, it was hide or die. And I am poor at hiding.

Hydra is a solid choice but everybody I met was packing extra equipment to deal with it. I also found that the loss of speed compated to chariots really hamper my game. Should have thought about that I guess.

The biggest problem I faced was the lack of magic though. Throwing away unused PD really hurts on so many levels.

On the plus side, we won the team competition and I got third on the painting competition so it wasnt all bad.

Please hold.