Which Armies do the DE's do best against?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Which Armies do the DE's do best against?

Post by Lorddrittz »

Some of the other Warhammer Fantasy Forums keep records of how well their armies do vs. other Fantasy Armies eg: The Ogres Stronghold

I am quite new to using DE's but here is my list of wins & losses vs. various armies

2 wins vs. Skaven
1 win vs. Daemons
1 win vs. Lizardmen
2 wins 1 loss vs. Ogres
2 wins 1 loss vs. Vampires
1 win 1 loss vs. Tomb Kings
1 loss vs. Wood Elves
Last edited by Lorddrittz on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I have found that Dark Elves do very well against Demons, I am yet to lose to a Demon player and I have played at least 10 games against them in tournaments. They are generally big wins against them, I drew once against them in a no comp event, but thats because he had a Bloodthirster which I left alone (rightfully so). I think its due to DE being able to put out so many attacks, which is Demons' weakness.

Lizards is what has me stumped. I have to play very well to come out with a minor win against them, unfortunately. That, and Dwarves with anvil and tooled up magic defence.

All other armies are niether here or there with doing well or poorly, it depends on me and my opponents list, and how we play.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I think it depends more on your opponent and how well he runs he list than the actual armies. For instance, wood elves is said to be one of the weakest armies out there, however it's not long since a wood elf player took the victory in a quite tough tournament in my local area, and I often struggle against all those shots from the wood elves.

My best matches is actually against Vampire Counts and Orcs & Goblins. Even though they have a huge number of tough units compared to my few, I almost always end up with a win.

I've lost the most againts Warriors of Chaos, but that's because I've played the most against them and has the most wins against them as well... so I'm even against them.

I guess I have the lowest win percentage against daemons, but I think that is mostly due to meeting the best players around here which fielded them at a tournament and at test plays... as well as one unlucky day at a tournament.

I don't like Skaven, because they have some cheap and great tactics that will crush most of my lists quite easily... well, again, that was more because of the player and the matchup. I've actually won against Skaven more than I've lost.

The reason why I struggle with Empire is more because I don't know them as well as I wish, and they often come with tons of armor, and they manage their saves even when I run around with S5-6 and AP... gah!

I don't like dwarfs, but it's mostly due to their anti magic and gunlines. I hate fighting them, although they are not as hard to take down. Chaos dwarfs are worse.

So, I guess these are the ones I find "easy" from top to bottom:

1. Orcs & Goblins
2. Vampire Counts
3. Beast Men
4. High Elves
5. Tomb Kings
6. Lizardmen
7. Wood Elves
8. Empire
9. Warriors of Chaos
10. Ogre Kingdoms
11. Daemons of Chaos
12. Bretonnia
13. Dwarfs
14. Chaos Dwarfs
15. Skaven
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Well I guess I consider one of the Dark Elves strengths to be our Magic phase.

So I would consider Dwarves and Lizardmen with Slaan difficult to face.

I am yet to play the new Chaos Dwarves.

1. Orcs & Goblins
2. Vampire Counts
3. Beast Men
4. High Elves
5. Tomb Kings
6. Lizardmen
7. Wood Elves
8. Empire
9. Skaven
10. Ogre Kingdoms
11. Daemons of Chaos
12. Bretonnia
13. Warriors of Chaos
14. Chaos Dwarfs
15. Dwarfs
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
Ayeril
Dark Rider

Post by Ayeril »

I have for now only faced woodelves and tombkings in this edition, and massacred them both. I would say that druchii is strong vs all when we face them in clos combat, where we really shine

I´m going to a tournament this weekend, so perhaps I will reevaluate this statement.
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

I'd recommend this topic as a sticky and hopefully for the OP to maintain a list of the best armies to play against whether its a list of total victories versus certain races or just a rough ranking.

Either way, here's my tournament games against the various races since September 2010 although since I play almost exclusively under a 20-0 system its not incredibly accurate i.e. an 11-9 loss is counted as a loss. Also, over this time I've been running both an infantry based list and cavalry bus list. On top of this, the books and meta change constantly and some tournament aren't uploaded to RHQ (where I'm going through the tournaments I've played in).

W/L/D

Beastmen: 1/1/0
Bretonnia: 1/0/0
Chaos Dwarfs: 1/1/1
DoC: 4/0/1
Dark Elves: 0/0/2
Dwarfs: 2/0/3
High Elves: 3/1/0
Lizardmen: 3/0/2
Ogre Kingdoms: 5/0/7
Orcs and Goblins: 5/2/0
Skaven: 2/1/3
Empire: 3/1/3
Tomb Kings: 2/0/0
VC: 4/2/3
WoC: 3/0/2
Wood Elves: 2/2/1

So overall I think DoC and Orcs and Goblins are the best matchups. Against daemons its nice to fight the infantry blocks and against Orcs its easy to pick up odd points around the board from chaff and warmachines. Beastmen can be a good matchup providing they aren't rocking too much herdstone support.

High Elves is a tough match for Dark Elves; they can shoot our elite troops very well and have access to the magic we crave irresistibly. Most of the matches I've played against them have been quite tight, giving me on most occasions small wins.

Ogres present an odd challenge as represented in the results. I find the matches to be very all or nothing. Either they run over you or vice versa, for example, through a well placed purple sun.

Personally I find Dwarfs and Wood Elves to be the most irritating to play against (both gunline type armies). Against the dwarfs I'm reluctant to advance into the hail of fire so end up sitting 24.1" away, trying to pit or sun their warmachines which always ends in a small win either way. Wood elves excel at shooting up our T3 low armour save troops.

Lizards can be a tough matchup, especially in the double light slaan and lots of skinks build as they again just whittle down our troops. However, against them harpies are outstanding and can go through a unit of skirmishing skinks with ease (something that will catch an unwitting lizardmen general out).

In regards to Chaos Dwarfs: the K'Dai is tough, but once you work out the way that your army can eliminate it, the CD player doesn't have much to do to you (as long as your units are set up in lines). They're normally compact as an army as well so its easy to box them in with units of dark riders.

Tom
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Personally, I have found heavy melee armies the easiest to beat because I can pretty much mow through them with my melee troops and they have nothing else to throw at me. I then find ranged armies the hardest because if my opponent can do me enough damage as I cross the board, he can make my forces insufficient to take out his own. That assumes he has a robust backline of melee forc (shooting armies that lack a robust counter-force are usually fairly weak).

So, for me, I find O&G, Beastmen, WoC and VC easiest to best. High elves, Empire and Dwarfs are probably the toughest. That said there are a few armies I never really get to face (e.g. Skaven) that I can't comment on.

I think a formal tally like this is fairly meaningless - worthy of adding to the Draich perhaps, but not a sticky surely...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

I think if all the Druchii players posted their records it would then give a picture of how our army goes vs. various races.

However the variation within the DE Army builds may have an influence on how well the army goes.
Last edited by Lorddrittz on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I have to concur with Red in this Topic, heavy melee focussed armies are easier to beat for me then armies focussed on range attacks.

But all will ofcourse depend your armu build and your opponent.

@Red...don;t worry to much about Skaven...If you can get rid of his warmachines/furnace/bell....our melee troops can single handedly handle almost any of their huge units. (i will admit i doubted that myself..but last weekend my skaven opponent managed to kill both my wizard by the second round, but not before i took out his war machines)
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Tomb Kings are an auto win for Dark Elves of almost any build. We can outmanouver, out magic, outfight and outshoot them with pretty much any unit. We can even out steadfast them as their unstable rule is crippling.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Underway wrote:Tomb Kings are an auto win for Dark Elves of almost any build. We can outmanouver, out magic, outfight and outshoot them with pretty much any unit. We can even out steadfast them as their unstable rule is crippling.

You clearly havnt played against an Arkhan MSU list :P
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

I'm a TK player as well. Arkhan is just a wizard like any other and can easily be killed by a noble on a pegasus or even harpies in most cases. If he's on a chariot even better, as I can kill his chariot and cause him to crumble. Because he's using death magic its hard to hide him, as he needs LoS and to get close for a lot of those spells. I also find outmanouvering the TK even with MSU is pretty easy. I pick my matchups and can multistrike units where I want.

I'd be more concerned with a Khalida archer army or 2x6 Necroknights backed up by a Lvl 4 Light mage than Arkhan.
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

I agree; the death snipe are irritating especially with our T3 mages and pendant not working against them. Though I'd still be more scared of a light counsel list with its S8 banishment.
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin