1D4Chan

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Red...
Generalissimo

1D4Chan

Post by Red... »

I started playing a bit of 40k recently and found that 1D4Chan was a good place to find some decent 40k strategy tips. I had a look through the site's advice for dark elves in warhammer fantasy and was heartily amused by how bad it was. Anyone else noticed that?

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer/Tactics/Dark_Elves

Highlights include:

- "Manticore: Don't have the points for a Black Dragon, but want something big and scary? Then come on down to Beastmaster's Manticore Emporium. The inbetween option and a damned good one at that. If you want people to cry cheese, try mounting your Master on one of these."

- "Venom Sword: U Mad Bro? Anyone with a big scary monster or a tough hero is gonna HATE this. You need to dedicate an Assassin to it, but if you're fighting against Ogres or designing him to go after Lords, this is definitely a funny choice."

- "Dance of Doom: 5+ ward for 30 points? Yes please. Good for both Assassins and Death Hags."

- "Sacrificial Dagger: Might be worth it if they're in a huge unit of Warriors, but probably not. There are better items available."

- "Hydra Banner: This one is okay, especially on a unit of Cold One Knights, but it's let down by the fact that it's competing with the Banner of Nagarythe, which is infinitely better for 50 points. If you're short on points, this could be okay, but Banner of Nagarythe is better."

- "Black Guard and Warriors make great supporting Ranked units."

Oh my. It's so bad it hurts. So bad. The drawbacks for manticore masters is that they are cheesy? Venom sword is a good item? The Banner of Nagarythe is a better choice than Hydra Banner in a unit of CoKs? Sacrificial dagger is not an optimum choice? Blackguard should be a ranked unit? Dance of doom is a good gift of khaine? How did they manage to get it all so wrong and so badly too? I'd almost think it was a comedy tactica, but it's not! Some of it may come from the fact that it was written originally for 7th ed, but it has theoretically been updated, and mantis were awful in 7th ed too! (albeit not quite as bad as they are now...)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

If it's 4Chan or anonymous, it's always good for a giggle
Oderint dum Metuant.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

That made me laugh :lol:

Is it for 8th edition or 7th? (edit, noticed it's 8th).
Last edited by Omnichron on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lordfalco
Corsair

Post by Lordfalco »

reading it, so funny. but the best laugh form what i read(i read all to magic) was this:
"Shadow has it's uses, but it doesn't fit as well with Dark Elf tactics as Dark Magic, Fire and Death. Dark Elf magic is most frequently geared toward blasting the crap out of the enemy, something Shadow doesn't do as well."

shadow magic doenst fit de??? it is with dark our strongest lore(i think dark better vs shooty, shadow vs rest, but that is my opinion).
this is really laughable to read. hope they fix it soon to propper info though
Meneth Blackfire (Warrior) - Group 39
Skills: Riding
Equipment: Leather Armor, Short Sword, Buckler.
Stats: WS3 S4 T5 D4 I2
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

"Morathi: She also has the honor of being the only model who actually shows her tits. ... If someone actually uses Morathi, there is a rought 95% chance they use her for this very reason." :lol:

That seems to have been written by one lone good-willing player, who has his tactics and doesn't consider alternatives.

Strange that he did not identify the potential of the COB BSB, though.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Calisson wrote:That seems to have been written by one lone good-willing player, who has his tactics and doesn't consider alternatives.

Yeah, he seems to have found his playstyle and doesn't give much thougts to any other options. I do wonder how he manages to do well with manticores though... I see them as almost free points for any good opponent.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

Are you sure those threads are not a trolling attempt? If those are realy his thoughts on the matter then crying comes easier to laughing at that.

ps: Go go Banner of Nagarythe!
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Well, it seems to be a genuine sharing of experience with a real intention to help.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

1D4chan.org is doesn't take itself very seriously. Take a look at the following 40K thread...

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

kristo wrote:Are you sure those threads are not a trolling attempt? If those are realy his thoughts on the matter then crying comes easier to laughing at that.

ps: Go go Banner of Nagarythe!

It's 4chan. If they are not trolling anyone at any given time then they are not trying hard enough.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

1D4chan.org is doesn't take itself very seriously. Take a look at the following 40K thread...

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad

Yes and no. 1D4chan.org certainly provides a humorous slant in its writings, but the tacticas are meant at least somewhat seriously (albeit it written in the same style of humour, which I do quite enjoy :)) as strategic and tactical tips for players of the games.

In fact, both the Eldar and Imperial guard tacticas are actually quite good. That was why I was so surprised to see the Dark Elf one being so humorously bad. I was sharing it more for the humour value of the assertions than to criticise it.

Anyway, hopefully folks enjoyed the link and can bask in their new enlightenment about our cheesy manticores and powerful venom swords :D
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

Every 'chan' board makes me laugh.
Most likely a troll I guess.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I thought 4Chan MEANT troll in most languages lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

I used to frequesnt 4chan but when I stumbled upon a graphic rape story I decided to no longer go there. I'm all for freedom of expression, I just choose to take my precious wargaming/computer time somewhere else. I no longer find the site funny.
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

Underway wrote:I used to frequesnt 4chan but when I stumbled upon a graphic rape story I decided to no longer go there. I'm all for freedom of expression, I just choose to take my precious wargaming/computer time somewhere else. I no longer find the site funny.

On /b/ no doubt!

Yeaaa, you have to filter a lot when you browse 4chan, some serieus sick people live there.
Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

All of the fantasy ones have some laughable info in them, but really 1D4chan is mainly for 40k stuff as opposed to fantasy
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

Calisson wrote:Well, it seems to be a genuine sharing of experience with a real intention to help.

Real intention to help... that's what scares me most!

I'm so close from actually signing up there and trolling them for good soo tempting...
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...