Saint of M's PLOG on the Head hunter Shades (pic heavy)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Saint of M's PLOG on the Head hunter Shades (pic heavy)

Post by Saintofm »

I wanted to test this out but I figure since shades are going to cause an arm and a leg as finecast, I think I'll just give up a leg and experiment on this: Converting Wood Elf Glade Guard into Dark Elf Shades using a mix og Gluade Guard and Warrior bits.

The fear: They will look too wood elfy.

The Goal: A cheap alternative to the statues quo you can still use in tournaments.

Appologies for the pics, didn't realize they'd be that big (really need to remember my photo bucket account). In any case I guess I'll go with a few minies at a tiime to go into detail with what I have done, what is still left to get done, and wait a couple of posts for the next one.

Here's what I got: Mini 1, the Blood Shade:

Subconsciously I make as many of my command options when available female, and since I have that option here, might as well take the opportunity. THe spur has several left and right arms holding swords so I used both on her.

Like with all the shades in this outfit I'm using the hooded heads as I think they will make them look a little more druchii.

On her side is an ungore skull from the Glade Guard kit, in an attempt to make them look less woody.

Her cloak is from a High Elf Chariot I used a while back to make a Roman charioteer for my mom's Little Town of Bethlehem collection. As it was just lion around (did not mean that as a pun) I thought I'd put it on her as the wood elf cloak I intended I ended up butchering in an attempt to take out some of the leafy and viny designs on the back. better luck than.

What still needs to be done. The paint job obviously. I'll probably use some of my old paints up for this one, but I want to have a slight camouflager thing going for them.

Others are mostly touch up. I need to add a crossbow of some sort to her, obviously. I also need to put some green stuff to plug that hole on her back and to connect the hood to the cloak.

SO, what do you think my fellow druchii?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

I think it looks really good, although I would have preferred her holding a knife (Dark Eldar have nice ones) and crossbow for a sneakier feel.

I do however suggest that you remount the head in a slightly lower position, the mini suffers from "giraffe neck syndrome".
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I would swap the arms for corsair ones, one with a dagger and one with a handbow, other than that I think it's a really nice conversion :)
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thanks for the replies. For a couple of the minies I am using corsair daggers already. I will work on the head latter.

And since I had a couple of replies, time for the next one.

Mini 2.

I was in the middle of a GW store and away from my bit box so I had fun with what I had. I knew I was going to be stuck with a few extra heads so I used one of the other wood elf heads and made it to look like she was holding it. I eventualy got home and was inspired with what I had there. The other hand I cut the bow arm and a corsair arm to about the elbow, filed it, then glude it on. The head is tilted towards the other face so it can inspect her hard work. I may have to adjust the head if she has the same problem as the last mini
Kekenda
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kekenda »

take corsair legs and warriors torsoe so it wont look lke wood elves at all,here are my shades http://s1276.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... n.jpg.html hope the pic will help :)
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Forget posting big picturs on this, you guys don't have the time for that.

I figured out how to adjust the picture size on my own blog, so here's a link: When I get an update on the project, I'll send another your way, but I'l go into detail with what' I've done so far on each mini in by Friday. Until then I have a cockatice to put togeather if it kills me (how the heck is that harder to keep togeather than my hydra?)

In any case, here's the link, enjoy.
http://saintsreviews.wordpress.com/wp-a ... ostpost=v2
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

kekenda wrote:take corsair legs and warriors torsoe so it wont look lke wood elves at all,here are my shades http://s1276.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... n.jpg.html hope the pic will help :)

Good timing on this post. I too am currently working on shade substitutes using Wood Elf Glade Guard. Kekenda? Did you use the quiver on the cloaks and turn them into two handed sword sheaths?
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

No, but that could be a possibility. Maybe One or two of the shades I made have the Glade Guard cloak so I'll give it a try.

Thanks.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

http://saintsreviews.wordpress.com/wp-a ... ostpost=v2

So here are two minies in more detail. You'll reconize one from up top.

Any idea on the camoflodge collors I should use?
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

When we press your link we get a log in screen. Can't see the images you intend us to see.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Hmm, so much for my grandios idea. Here they are.

Blood Shade

Is there anyway to reduce the size? No? ok.

Here is the champion. Yes it's a more complete version of the girl up top, and as always I try to make my champions females in the basic warrior spurs, adn the oportunity was here to do likewise.

Besideds th paint job I added one of the crossbow bits to the white lion cloak, and added some green stuff to fill in the gaps near the cloak.

Still need a color scheme for the regiment, but as this will be the blood shade she will largely be a dark red (crimson is the color of blood after all). I might add a brown as well, I still have some of the old brown paints left so I'm using them up ASAP.

Next contestant after alittle bit
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

This one I think is also the other mini I showed earlier. If I remember right the arm came off (might have been when my 2 year old nephew accidently knocked some stuff over when he went into the office). So I repositioned the knife and it looks better.

The clock looks billowing, green stuff off course, and while ot the best green stuff job it still has some flair to it. I also added one of the crossbow bits to it.

Again the only spare corsair bits I have is a breastplate for a champion, a couple of dagger arms, and some heads and that's about it.

Like above, still largely a glade guard in pierces. Even the severed head is a spare head from that kit.

I'll show the next two tomorrow or tonight if people want; if not that soon defiantly by Monday. I would still like a color scheme idea that is camo themes

Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Looking good so far mate. The blood shade's stance looks more natural now from side on (probably the addition of green stuff in the gaps?). Can't really comment on the other, as I can't really see it very well. Apart from the cloak, did you do any greenstuffing to the severed head?

As for paint scheme, you mentioned camo. But where in the world are they? If in the land of chill, perhaps an iron grey camo scheme (which red will go nicely with...).

Cheers

- Amarok
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

No on the sevdred head, though I let a little bit on from when I removed it from the spur.

I'll try a grey with a brown theme (blend in with forests and mountains).
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Mid grey with a neutral - ish brown (i.e khaki) would look good as a camo scheme I reckon... Trick would be to not let it look too drab. A tricky prospect, as grey and brown, by their very nature, are drab! Actually, this months white dwarf has a 40k deff dread (or some such) with a grey and khaki scheme. Might be of some inspiration?

Cheers

- Amarok

But I forgot my pen...
Kekenda
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kekenda »

yup,thats what i did.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Here's two more minies.

For this bad boy I did what I did for the last guy, glade guard legs and torso and hooded head, with dark elf warrior crossbow arms, and a green stuffed cloak. I wanted to try something knew, so what is normally the spare bolts on most dark elf warrior kits, I decided to make the clip for the repeater crossbow.

This next one continues the head hunter theme for most of these guys.
This one continues the headhunter theme for most of this unit.

He isn't much different from much others. His main difference is he has a severed head hanging off his arm from a Brettonian Knight of the Realm kit, specifically an Knight Errent Head.

Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Suggestion: Give the minis a drybrush with a lighter colour before taking photos.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'll try it, but this is just the primered stuff before I get some real work in em.

So paint them then show case the others, or should I show the others before I show the rest to see (HOWEVER WELL) what I did so I can get some input.
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

It would be easier to see the models if there was at least a basecoat on them. It's hard to see the details when there is just the undercoat (specially for people who trawl the tinternets on their phone at work ;) ).

Although one point I would make is that from what I can see, it looks as though you may have been a bit heavyhanded with the 'ole chaos black spray (although it could just be the photos, hard to tell).

Loving the hooded look for shades. Looking forward to seeing more!

But I forgot my pen...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Probably the heavy handed. I didn't get everything on the first go through of spraying, so I may have had some areas heavier than others. The areas around the faces are largly obscure because of the camera but the rest is my bad, so I'll just show a couple more then start painting. Grey with some brown streaks here and there will be my camo theme for the unit (unless someone says no, no, and really no because it'll look dumb). The blood shade will be slightly different with more red on her to have stand out more (seriously, half of these could be used as unit champions if I wanted).
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I got's some new pics!

Kinda what I got going so far, using what fortress grey I have left for much of it, and using up the boltgun metal on the parts that I want metal. I may use that little bit of tn bitz (I think that's waht it's called, a mythril silver fingerprint is covering it).

And here's another one of these guys I'll go into detail on.

Warrior Torso and Crossbow arms, with Wood Elf Glaide Guard head, legs, and dagger. I think the spear is of a High Elf chariot.

Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Good start! I particularly like the pose of the shade with his sword raised (back right).

Don't worry about getting every last spot with the spray. I often give all the models a quick once over with thinned paint (same colour as undercoat obviously) after undercoating to get the recesses. Just make sure its thin enough (somewhere between wash and normal) not to obscure (which would defeat the purpose) but thick enough to cover. Having said that, I have just got some small bottles of proper paint on primer from Vallejo that will be doing the job. But normal paint does the job just fine.

You have done a cracking job on the hoods. They look really sinister. Some of the cloaks could have done with some more smoothing though. A clay shaper could be a handy tool for you (or just a pencil with an eraser on the end). Watch those fingerprints! And mold lines too for that matter.

Looking forward to seeing these when they have progressed a bit further...

But I forgot my pen...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'll see if I can sand them latter. I'll try breaking the outlines with some brown for a camo look.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Really nice mate, watch out some mold lines in the minis before painting.

About making clothes. You should make a thin sheet of putty (smash it on a plastic lubricated surface and make it even and thing with some cilinder object). Let it cure a bit a cut with a hobby knife. This way I think you´ll get a better outcome
Death before dishonor