Melee Weapon Options

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lorddredd
Trainee Warrior

Melee Weapon Options

Post by Lorddredd »

One of my favorite weapons to equip a Dreadlord or Master with is the Whip of Agony. I even have conversions of mounted and dismounted figures equipped with a whip. The downside of this is that it leaves me wondering what to put on other characters. What are some other weapons you find useful for your characters, and why?

Shane
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Well, many enjoy the Whip. Often you'll find this staggered with another Char that has Crimson Death so that they'll ALWAYS hit @6 and 5.

I like having a Master with a Lifetaker running around lately.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hydra blade, heartseeker and giant blade would seem like good options . The Giant Blade, perhaps, is more suited for a mounted character since it pushes the character to strength 7... And that probably means you want to use it against specific opponents.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Druchiilad
Executioner

Post by Druchiilad »

I tend to like putting the Lifetaker on a Sorceress, as BS means nothing as Lifetaker always hits on 2's.

Crimson Death is always a good weapon, I'm less of a fan as I don't like waisting the I8 or I7 on the characters, but throw in a model with Banner of Hag Grief and you can counter that.

The Whip of Agony is an amazing weapon for it's points cost, particularly on Pegasus riders, cheap way to match Peg's S on the charge.

Hydra Blade, (good with potion of strength) Dagger of Hotek, (again great if you can give it potion of strength) and Soulrender, (great cheap magic weapon) all have their merits too, but are under used as you really need to combine them with items like Armour of Darkness and Potion of Strength, (which is a one hit wonder). I like taking them with foot heroes, but then how often do you see a Druchii hero on foot with a unit? (Unless they are casting magic.)

A standard halberd is always a good option, particularly if your running double Pegasus heroes, gives you 2 S5, flying, high save, good ward save characters.

I'm sure others will have ideas with other weapons, but these are my experiences.
Hope it helps. :)
In Khaine we trust...
Lorddredd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lorddredd »

I live and die by the Whip. I am also a big fan of giving my Sorceress an offensive ability as well (besides magic,) so I often take Lifetaker and put them in a unit of RXB, or give them a black dragon egg if they are going to be bunkered in a big unit of troops.
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Soulrender (Armour Piercing GW) and PoK seem a good combo.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Standard lance or halberd can be a good cheap option for a character who either wants to spend their magic item points elsewhere or who needs/wants to be a cheap option. After all, a master with a halberd gets 3 attacks at WS6 with hatred and S5, not too shabby really.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I like to go for the mundane items a lot of the time. While this means that I lack magic attacks which I may need against certain opponents and it can mean that I am not using a shield in combat they are so cheap that this often outweighs the negatives for me.

I like Heartseeker, but at 35 points it is a bit steep for what it does in most situations.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=