The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Hiphopapotamus vs. Rhymnenoceros

The Hophopapotamus
36%
The Rhymnenoceros
64%

Total votes: 25

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

Post by Phierlihy »

Sorry, yes I was referring to the blue. It's a bit light and high elvish for my tastes. But my tastes aren't your tastes so if you like it, use it =)
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Phierlihy
Well if I can put the vision in my head onto the miniature, it hopefully won't look to high elvish, but I guess that's my challenge huh! And definitely keep the opinions coming in, I do very much like to hear what you think of the project :D

Quick update - done the final work on the armour for this test model, painted the robes/cloth wraps grey just to see how it works out, and tried my hand again at an NMM blade. I'm happy enough with the grey robes for now, just to see how the colour works with the rest of the model. As for the blade, it's a better attempt than the last one (which I'll post as well for comparison), but I still think that it doesn't quite look like metal yet - the blendings are ok, but I think I need to use more of the midtones along the length of the blade and only leave the very high/low ends for the stark contrast colours.

Anyway, here are some of the pics.

and the comparison shot:

So, what do you guys think? All comments and criticisms welcome, any talk seems to help keep me motivated :)

Cheers
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

And we're on the home stretch! Metals and chainmail are done as much as I'm going to do them on this test model, and some of the more boring areas (belts, knife sheath) have been filled in black. I've done the skin using cold greys with blue mixed in, probably will use a little more white on the actual models, but I'm happy with the direction that it's heading in. The big change is pretty obvious, so I'll just let you look and decide...

I tried to make sure I didn't go overboard again with the glow here - I didn't want more spiderman models on the table top! I'm quite happy with how it's worked out, it's a very subtle glow which I think works well to add a bit of life and colour to the model whilst still retaining the overall cold and dark atmosphere. I've added a shot of the previous model below as a comparison, just so you can see what I mean.

As for the shields, I decided that I wanted to do my own design but didn't want it simply painted on, so I tried my hand at GS and here's the initial result.

For my second time of using the stuff (after the chainmail fiasco of 2012...), I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out for now. I think the design is simple enough, and with a little bit of trimming around the edges and fixing up of a few minor details, I have high hopes for it (for those playing at home, it's 'supposed' to be a phoenix head...). As for the rest of the shields, I've seen a few tutorials on making simple green-stuff molds - I'm sure they're not perfect, but if I can get say 90% of that mold correct onto each shield, then I'd be happy to spend a bit of time fixing each individually, rather than having to make them all from scratch!

Comments and criticisms are encouraged as always, and hopefully the next time I update this log, it will be with the first fully completed test mini! :D :D

Cheers
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

What, no replies? Well, maybe a finished model will do it for you guys... ;)

I present to you... the first Warrior of the Night!

We've finally made it! After months of indecision and change and with one test model done and discarded, we have finally reached a pivotal point in the development of this army - a fully completed test model! I know, I know, it sounds ridiculous - but for me, this was one of the hardest parts of this whole project. I've had an image in my mind's eye for a while now, and this is the closest I've been able to get to it.

I am actually really happy with how it's turned out, even though there were things along the way that I wasn't totally satisfied with. The armour finally looks to me to be black, or at least as close as I have gotten it, and the almost monochromatic look of the model as a whole, from the grey clothes to the pale skin and even the snow base, really feels cold and dark. I'm also quite pleased with how the minor addition of colour came out; it's really subtle on a single model, but I'm hoping that with a few more models complete, and with the addition of banners and other troops, the colour will really serve to tie the whole force together.

As a side note, I tried making a GS mold of the shield, and this is what came out.

I'm actually surprised at how well it worked out - I thought it would be a lot harder than it actually was! Now to do another 40 of them... :)

And before this log progresses any further (which it will, I assure you), I just want to thank you all - hearing all of your comments, praises and criticisms has not only helped me in increasing my skill as a painter, but you've been invaluable in keeping me motivated long enough to get this far. So thanks! :D :D

Now, lay all your comments and criticisms on me and let's get this log really cracking!
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Strange color scheme, alien to my taste, BUT it is perfectly done and I think you achieved your goal. Now keep your promise to paint and show us more. :P
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Stunning!

Now, crack on then!
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow, he looks awesome. Very dark, cold and menacing. Great job, it's clear your patience has paid.
And I'm looking forward to more. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Not a fan of the eyes but the rest looks good.
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Thanks for the comments guys, really does keep the motivation up!

@ jarvax
well I hope I can bring your tastes around throughout this log, but I'm glad you like them anyway :)

@ Amarok
Thank you!!! And I'm cracking, don't you worry!

@ Rowena
I'm really happy that it comes across as cold, dark and menacing - that was almost exactly what I was going for! Thanks :)

@ Phierlihy
I know this sounds weird, but I'm actually sort of happy you don't like the eyes - or maybe, it would be more accurate to say that I'm happy you TOLD ME you don't like the eyes! I would much prefer honest opinions and comments, so that at least I know when I'm getting something right, and when I should maybe change tact a little, so thanks for the honest :) Now, off to convince you otherwise!! :P
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

House Kynath’sur – The House of Black Flames: A History

Part III

“Sometimes surreal events, create unreal monsters…”
- Telroth Larai, A Darker History

Khadeth did not die that fateful day as is believed – a far worse fate befell the only heir of a broken house. Through a rift in the warp, he was dragged into the realms of chaos along with the banished daemonic hordes. He awoke on shifting sands of crushed bone, and wandered lame and mute through forests of limbs and oceans of blood. For aeons he traversed these strange land, and it was only long after he had lost his sanity that his soulless corpse was thrown back into reality.

The warp had distorted time, and for Khadeth what had been millions of years had been but a few thousand for the rest of the world. Washed onto the shores of an unknown land, his ruined shell of a body lay still, waiting for death to finally take hold. But death would stay it’s hand for a little longer, and in it’s place came something far worse. Khadeth’s body was discovered; drawn by the power of the momentary tear in the warp, a large company of warriors led by a cadre of liche priests retrieved his almost lifeless form, and began the journey with their treasure back to their queen – Neferata.

None know exactly what came to pass in the subsequent centuries of his imprisonment under the Lahmian queen. All that is known for certain is that through the torture, the endless screams of pain and agony, and the vast and brutal experiments performed on his body and mind, something else was born; from the ashes of the broken, mindless elf that was dragged off the beaches that day arose a being of immense power.

No longer able to keep him against his will, Khadeth escaped his stone prison and journeyed back to his island home of Ulthuan, though it was not as he remembered. Through blood and torture, he learned of the events that had transpired since his disappearance – the rise of prince Malekith, the excesses of the Cult of Pleasure, and the eventual civil war between his kin and the other elven kingdoms, culminating in the events of the Sundering. Realising that his old life in Nagarythe was gone, he journeyed west towards the Land of Chill.

Now, thousands of years after his disappearance, Khadeth has finally returned and reclaimed his rightful place at the head of his beleaguered house. Whispers of a new power in Har Ganeth have swept across the city, and though none know exactly where this influence resides or what it’s motives are, one thing is certain – the days have grown darker, the wind has a colder bite to it, and out of the corner of their eyes, none can help but notice the new shadow on the outskirts of the city skyline:

An ancient banner, fluttering on an invisible wind, bearing a dark phoenix on a field of black flames…
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

You can put make-up on a pig - but it is still a ...
... crappy plastic spearelf with a static pose, silly helm, pole sized spear and ogre hands.
Nice paint job - but IMHO you could as well have painted a piece of stone.
No matter how much time you spend on the paint job, the base miniature is utter crap and will never become anything else.

This said, I do like your paint job.
The extremely thick dragon patterned shield - not so much.
As for the mini itself, see above.

Sorry for the harsh words - but I do think you are waisting a considerable amount of talent and time on an impossible mission.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Kendoka
Harsh? If everyone were so harsh as to call me 'too talented' to waste my time on those miniatures, I would be a very happy man!! :D :D
I do understand what you mean though, I've never really liked most aspects of these sculpts, but seeing that the new HE release didn't update their spearmen (which, believe it or not, I think are EVEN WORSE than ours!!), I don't think we're likely to get an update anytime soon, and I need warriors for my army... I have been looking at gamezone minis though, and if raging heroes gets its starter kits going anytime soon, maybe I won't have to finish this unit!
Thanks again for your honesty though :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Just a small update here, I just got some models from Raging Heroes and couldn't wait to begin putting them together, so my harpy-proxies have been taking over my time for the last few days. I'm going to make two units of 5, and I want each unit to have a nice amount of character. Here are the first 2 models (though the harpy has disappeared from one of them...), still very much WIP.

Let me know what you guys think! Oh, and if anyone knows something I can use as a paint stripper on plastic models (something that will also take off the black and white primer please!), I'd love to hear from you!!

Cheers
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

For paint stripper, soak the model in Simple Green over night and whatever paint is left will come off with a toothbrush.

I think you uploaded the wrong photos? I see a post with a chaosy arm-thing coming out of it and a dude with a bow.
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Thanks, I'll have to get my hands on some and give it a shot!

Haha nah that's the right photo, it's going to be more of an 'action harpy' - and she's killing a high elf :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

It seems we've had some same ideas. :D Now I'll never be able to say I haven't copied you... if I even manage to pull mine off, that is...

Anyway, looks great and I can't wait to see the full models.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Tizsht
Shade

Post by Tizsht »

Just a quick comment regarding the spearman you made, it is a small thing but one I think will help. It is a very clean icy feel to the models already, I would put in some small bits of rock, something sharp grey/black on the bases. Otherwise I think it looks great and look forward to see a few models standing together to get a more birds eye perspective. Cool idea :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Rowena
I hope the same idea involves the killing of high elves - if that's the case, maybe more people should share in our ideas!! :twisted: Thanks for the compliments, I'll hopefully get a few more shots up in the next few days with some more progress.

@ Tizsht
Yeah I've been getting a lot of people saying that the bases need a little more to them, so I've been drawing up some ideas for making more involved bases that I'll be trialing on the next few models, but thanks for the feedback too! And thanks for the praise! :D
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Can I just say I think your warrior of the night looks absolutely stunning. Such an incredible colour scheme, completely different to anything I've seen before. Almost looks as if your general has raised the spirits of long dead elves to fight (as we all know, only humans and other filth succumb to rot when they perish!).
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Tizsht
Shade

Post by Tizsht »

Ilmaestro wrote:
@ Tizsht
Yeah I've been getting a lot of people saying that the bases need a little more to them, so I've been drawing up some ideas for making more involved bases that I'll be trialing on the next few models, but thanks for the feedback too! And thanks for the praise! :D

Yep, bases actually enhances a model alot more then one first thinks, I'm sure you are aware of this. If you will use movement trays you can do alot there as well.
Other than that, looking forward to see more of your work. Good stuff!
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I've been lurking in this thread for a coumple of months now, and I'm really inspired. Sadly though, I have to rant.
Well, lets wait a bit with the rant and praise your creativity some more.
So, the rant. You've shown us a single painted model of your scheme, that is nice and all that jazz. But I want to see a couple of models forming a unit, say ten, five wide and two deep just to see what a unit may look like with your color scheme. Also, what have you planned for banners? I'm awaiting a sick free hand.

And finally, to tease you a little bit about your color scheme - when you're done, you have an army of batman's hoho oh yes dearest me, I just told a funny !lol!
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Kheel
Haha well I'm glad the rant is over not enough work done, rather than telling me to stop! ;) Still working on getting a few more of the batman-warriors done, I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, promise!!

Apologies to all for my radio silence - I had mid-year exams coming up, and seeing as they were my last set of written exams in my university career (yay), I really wanted to make sure I passed...

This has meant that the hobby took a serious back foot since we last spoke, but I assure you that the updates will start flowing a little more freely now that I'm finally finished, so watch this space for more!

Cheers
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Great background story and cool warriors!
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Lord Drakon
Thanks! It's always nice to hear that I'm on the right track :)

Hey guys!

Sorry for the long delay between posts, I had my last written exams for my medical degree and now just have 6 months to go before I graduate! Yay! Of course, this left little time for the hobby, but now that I have 2 weeks before I leave for the US, I intend to try and get a good amount of work done.

First, the obligatory work space shot (I can't believe it's taken me this long to get it done!)

But who cares about work spaces, right?! I'm jumping between a few different projects at the moment, trying to rekindle all of the artistic energy and vision for what I want this army to be, so I picked up my 'harpies' and played with them a little. For context, I've always liked the idea that the Druchii believed that their harpies were the souls of dead witch elves given form, so I want to play with that a little more and actually make them spirits! Not sure how the fluff for their background will go just yet, I guess I'll write it as I finish them and we can all find out what happens together :)

The first one is pretty straight forward, just leaping through a random stone - I intend to use a lot of OSL on these guys to make them a bit more interesting and interactive with the environment. Which leads me on to harpy #2...

How could I NOT use this as an opportunity to eviscerate a dastardly high elf, what with their recent new release and all? It was tough work getting the body to look like it's hanging a little, and I still have a little more to do in that regard, but I think it's on the right track. I'm quite happy with the eye-to-eye pose of the models though - I really wanted to encapsulate that last moment of defiance as his life slowly ebbs away, and I think the staring contest adds to this effect. Both of these are still WIP, still a of work to do with GS on it (and the first one), but thought I'd show you guys some progress anyway.

As usual, all comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged, and hopefully this plog will flourish with activity over the coming few weeks! Oh yeah, and more fluff incoming soon... if you guys are liking it :)

Cheers
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Awesome!
Both harpies look really wonderfull, such great ideas and the execution is perfect, at least in my opinion. I agree about the staring contest, it really adds to the scene. I can't wait to see them painted, maybe with a similar glow as the exes of your test warrior?
And a great choice of models. :) (I'm using the same for harpies as well :D )
My painting blog