How Will DE Magic Change in the update? Idea Thread

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

How Will DE Magic Change in the update? Idea Thread

Post by Saintofm »

So with all the trends, what will happen and what would we like to see? As I have no ideas what the rumors are, anything out of my mouth will be my thoughts only.

Available Lores: Currently we have Dark Magic army lore, and out of the common lore fire, metal, death and shadows. All well and good for us.

If we add one, I can see adding lore of heavens to the list as A. it fits with the divination theme with dark elf wizardry, and B. we have control over chill wind, why not other aspects of the heavens?

Lore attribute: Something that will fit with the army fluff, either coming up with something new like with Orcs and Goblins or using an old spell like Ogres and High elves. If it's the spell rout, if Chill wind is not our signature spell I can see it here, although it doesn't have the wild abandon that this lore supposedly has. Hopefully one of you guys can think of something better.

Signature spells: Generally speaking, every lore has one. Even in the still to be updated books, the first spell in every list acts like it. I can see chill wind here. It's been that way since I started with the 6th ed book, and it might still be that way.

We might also go the High elf rout and have two signiture spells as, well, we do master magic in a wild fashion.

Chill Wind: Largely I think it can stay as is, though it's boosted version will probably have double range. Still one of the best spells when facing shooty armies.

Dark Bolt Same thing

Word of pain I can see largly remaining the same with double range and difficulty boosted, or if boosted effect all enemies within 12" of caster.

Blade wind I would like to see still there.

I am Hoping Soul Stealer still can be used in close combat, please let this be.

Black horror will probably be direct damage, small template and large template.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Helle
Executioner

Re: How Will DE Magic Change in the update? Idea Thread

Post by Helle »

Quite sure Chill Wind will become the new signature spell.

I think Bladewind will no longer be around. Distribute close combat hits with magic isn't the way other spells go. It will either be somehow changed to automatic hits or more likely vanish.

Power of Darkness is another one that likely won't be around in the new book. I hope for a lore attribute thats somehow like it (read: generating additional power dice), but that would be close to Death magic and therefore not very likely.

I hope for a boosted version of Soul Stealer to 24" range.

Black Horror might become a of vortex.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

The trend is the GW is getting rid of anything that can generate power dice, so power of darkness will go away, which sucks big time.
I wouldn't mind bladewind going away. I am rarely impressed with the spell.
Chillwind doesn't seem to fit our fluff. I would see it being a number 2 or 3 spell. Boosted for 2d6 hits.
Personally, I think that our lore attribute should be something to fit the fluff of sacrificial dagger. Like the sorc can kill a man in the unit to boost the spell's power. Boost the STR value by one of magic missiles or something. Maybe the sorc takes a wound with no saves to make a spell irresistible? Too powerful? Take D2 wounds? D3 wounds?
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Oh, and Black horror will scatter. So that sucks.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm pretty sure Black Horror will be a Vortex. There haven't been enough Vortices in the new books and only one in the BRB (I think greenskins have a vortex spell?). Black Horror fits the bill perfectly. S test or dead in a vortex form, a different take on Purple Sun.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Dalamar wrote:I'm pretty sure Black Horror will be a Vortex. There haven't been enough Vortices in the new books and only one in the BRB (I think greenskins have a vortex spell?). Black Horror fits the bill perfectly. S test or dead in a vortex form, a different take on Purple Sun.

I also think it will be vortex, although I'm feeling pretty sure it'll be one wound with no armor saves... just like the nurgle one.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Dark Elves are supposed to be powerful offensive spellcasters, so they won't nerf things completely. I have a feeling that Power of Darkness will remain ... but that the Sac Dagger will not.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

If it does stay, it will be 55 points so heroes can't take it. But it's kind of a waste on heroes anyways
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

The original Black Horror (4th ed) was a vortex spell that auto-killed on a failed S test. So we might see that return.

Doombolt has been around forever but I always feel it is underpowered compared to direct damage spells from other lores -- and Dark is supposed to be the killi-est lore! I'd like at least a higher S longer ranged version :twisted:

Dark could definitely do with an overhaul. It will be interesting to see in which direction it goes...
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Dyvim tvar wrote:I have a feeling that Power of Darkness will remain ... but that the Sac Dagger will not.

If GW doesn't like dice generation, but doesn't mind rerolls, the sac dagger could permit a reroll for every model killed. The item could then remain cheap as well. Like a book of hoeth that comes cheap to start, but requires a sacrifice everytime it is used. I'm not sold on that idea though.

I imagine that chillwind may get a boost in range (well, reduction by default, but a boosted rank)
Doombolt could receive a boost to 2D6 or 3D6.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

What I expect is to see the Temple of Khaine using powerdice, just like Empire's priests of Sigmar do, and their buff wagons too.
The future Cauldron of Blood would compete against spellcasters, and could be scrolled and dispelled like any other spell.
The future Death Hags would enhance their units with some nice and bloody buffs, for a powerdice price, too.

I'd like to see Dark Lore even more about controlling evil spirits, quite unlike Heavens which is merely to banish them.

Druchii sorcery giving more power for more risk is so fluffy that I hope GW will keep it.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson wrote:What I expect is to see the Temple of Khaine using powerdice, just like Empire's priests of Sigmar do, and their buff wagons too.
The future Cauldron of Blood would compete against spellcasters, and could be scrolled and dispelled like any other spell.
The future Death Hags would enhance their units with some nice and bloody buffs, for a powerdice price, too.

If that would make it viable to make a list without sorceress.. I would absolutely love it! It would bring better balance to the Dark Elf list. It would require the individual units to become a bit stronger, or cheaper though.. or the buffs more potent.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

That would also take dice away from our Sorceresses who, without Power of Darkness, will be hard pressed to get any spells cast at all. How many spells does the Empire cast? Not to many when I'm fighting them..
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Darkgul
Corsair

Post by Darkgul »

The temple off khaine stealing powerdice away from the sorceresses matches very good with the animosity lore of the temple vs the sorceress though.

On the other hand, my empire opponent doesnt use alot of warriorpriest bound abilities though. Theyre kinda easy to get rid off if your bring a high level caster to dispell. Maybe the cauldron should add a bonus to the roll perhaps..
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Or have more anti magic, or way to effect dispelling wizards
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Daeron wrote:
Dyvim tvar wrote:I have a feeling that Power of Darkness will remain ... but that the Sac Dagger will not.

If GW doesn't like dice generation, but doesn't mind rerolls, the sac dagger could permit a reroll for every model killed. The item could then remain cheap as well. Like a book of hoeth that comes cheap to start, but requires a sacrifice everytime it is used. I'm not sold on that idea though.

I imagine that chillwind may get a boost in range (well, reduction by default, but a boosted rank)
Doombolt could receive a boost to 2D6 or 3D6.

I could see both of these things happening. They seem quite reasonable.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

I suspect we will have 1 x vortex (black horror?) and 1x teardrop/scatter (possibly both) with 2x hexes (like WoP?) a magic missile and a direct damage. Soul stealer might remain, with a boosted everything within 12". We may even get 2 signature spells, like our weaker cousins.

If you like at the new HE arcane toy, they get to re-roll a PD or DD every spell with no sacrifice. As we are more PD orientated, it seems reasonable that we would get something like the sac dag. We have an extremely powerful magic phase right now, but I only see them changing it, not nerfing it.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

COuld we get an augmentation as well? Word of pain works nicely as a hex as is, but maybe +1 to wound or hit with blade wind normal and then boosted gets both?
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

PLEASE GIVE US A BS AUGMENT
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Saintofm wrote:COuld we get an augmentation as well? Word of pain works nicely as a hex as is, but maybe +1 to wound or hit with blade wind normal and then boosted gets both?

The only reference in Lore I ever found where Dark Elves improve their abilities with magic is the blood magic from the Temple of Khaine (abundant references in Malus Darkblade) and Morathi once casting a spell on a bunch of Assassins before the Sundering.
I wouldn't oppose an augment, but I think an augment in Dark Magic would be more in line with Mindrazor, where elves use their spirit or mind to attack the enemy.
The point is that Dark Elves tend to be very arrogant and hate any sign of weakness. While I can see them use sorcery to trick the enemy or make their blades more deadly, I don't think they'll tolerate something enhancing their (already superior) skill seeing it as a weakness.

Of course, GW could change the Dark Elves to being just evil and anything goes.. but they could just as well stick to their sinister, haughty nature.

- The stiff breeze
Manit0u
Corsair

Post by Manit0u »

I hope they'll think of something good to replace now defunct Druchii Sorcery special rule. Generating 1 extra dice for free every turn would be nice but a bit powerful so I'm guessing that perhaps it will simply increase caster's level for the purpose of casting/dispeling spells or perhaps a free casting/dispel re-roll once each turn. It would fit nicely into the lore, showing our mastery in the arts.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

One extra powerdice wouldn't be over the top in my opinion... But perhaps they could have it count towards the maximum of the dice pool, so as not to rub it in when you roll a double 6. I think getting a +1 to cast is more likely though (and certainly powerful).

- The stiff breeze
Forumite
Dark Rider

Post by Forumite »

I hope we get Beast Magic in 8th Ed. We have lots of savage monsters, and I want a lore that has got good buff spells. Also I miss turning my Sorcerer into a Hydra with Transformation of Kadon.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I could see the buffs of the CoB be changed to bound spells.
If they do I really hope that they change the CoB to be slightly more usefull in combat though. (maybe chariot like)
Nothing is more frustrating then paying over 200 pnts for a unit that can only give buffs...and then being unable to get any off at all.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Forumite
Dark Rider

Post by Forumite »

The CoB will definetly be only Bound Spells, fits well with Witch Elves not liking Sorceresses. It will probably get a new offensive spell though.