Warlocks use?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Darktalon
Warrior

Warlocks use?

Post by Darktalon »

So I tried them today and tbh it wasn't exactly successful (they got ran over by a steam tank) but I put that down to my own poor tactics since it was my first game with Dark Elves, however I was just wondering what is the ideal use for them? Combat or to ride about casting magic? It's such an unusual unit for me since the fast cavalry I'm used to using is pistoliers and outriders and Warlocks are a whole different kettle of fish.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Warlocks use?

Post by Dalamar »

They are fast cavalry, use they as you would use fast cavalry. Instead of ranged weapons, they have spells.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

So keep them away from charges, down the flanks but flinging spells? Ain't they pretty good in combat though?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

They're about twice as good as Dark Riders, which still isn't saying much. They are likely going to succeed supporting larger units by flank charging some infantry that doesn't have too much armor.

Having them fight a steam tank is definitely not a good idea.
7th edition army book:

Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I would charge them into chaff/ other fast cavalry, archer units, war machines but definitely not anything that can fight. if in combat they can't cast doombolt but can still cast soulblight.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Canadianguy
Dark Rider

Post by Canadianguy »

You can also look at them as a mobile well protected level 2 caster with a big foot print.
I am thinking of using them with dark riders and cold ones. All 3 units of 5 going down a flank. 2 units harass, redirect, bait and flee then cold one plows in with maybe a combo charge with one of the others.
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

They can also be a bunker for a sorc on dark steed.

They are actually kind of cheap for what they can do, so there are lot's of possibilities.

First of spall they add useful spells to your magic. Your lvl4 doesnt need to chose those two spells cause they're already there. Then, you get one extra dice to channel!

They can fight off chaff, hunt war machines, control movement, and... If you really need it, they can be used as an expensive redirector.
HERO
Cold One Knight

Post by HERO »

If you see an opportunity to kill some stuff, they can definitely do that. However, keep in mind that they also provide channels and Soul Blight for your army, so you shouldn't lose them the way you would lose Dark Riders. Aka, they're not expendable.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

So I tried a game with 11 warlocks, and let me tell you those guys are not just good but damn good. Toss in a level 4 with ring of hotek and suddenly they have a 2++ ward vs spell damage. St4 2 attacks a pop very good. I will be trying out a large unit of dark riders with some proper character support. They can be a great medium cav unit with beast magic, or hard as nails to kill with life magic.

I do believe the days of all fast cav or all fast moving units are back for the dark elf way of life. As much as I like the new exe and black guard models, I am not sure that is the direction in which to build a new list. I think warlocks are the new key in a all fast moving dark elf list. More to come as I play with these ideas.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Murphy'sLawyer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Murphy'sLawyer »

Mostly what has been said. They are fast cav able to stay out of charge lanes and cast spells instead of shooting. They can do great in CC with other Chaff and warmachines but otherwise keep them out of the main battles till late game when rear and flank charges can help.

4++ is great but they are crap for generating combat res, so stay on the flanks. They can be a Soceress bunker but that makes them expensive and a HUGE target priority that you may not want on a unit that will be kept small.

I say spread out your target priorities and have the Warlocks cuasing trouble but make him suffer for diverting resources into chasing them.
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

The poison can really help against some monsters and chariots. They will make a mess out of war machines and missile troops. With a flank or rear charge they can add some valuable combat points to an infantry combat as well.
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

I guess I'll just put my only experience with them down to nothing then, been reading a lot more and a lot of people have said using a steam tank in 1k is harsh anyway.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yeah it's pretty nasty though a couple bolts can take care of it now unlike when it used to be T10
7th edition army book:

Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

Hit it three times with the bolt thrower and every time I failed to wound, rolled a lot of 1s.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's just bad luck then. No reason to stop doing something if the dice are against you.
7th edition army book:

Canadianguy
Dark Rider

Post by Canadianguy »

Yes, seconded as to rbt vs stanks as one of our best options.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Magic can also be pretty good.
7th edition army book:

Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

unfortunately the only magic I had was word of pain and bladewind and rolled a 1 and a 2 for my first wind of magic roll so didn't get to use any of the magic in the end.
Shearov
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shearov »

I used some in my last game, and had 5 on the flank. They met some 3 Leadbelchers, he had his shooting phase. Rolled 3 6s, so I thought goodbye Warlocks. Despite some lucky ward rolls only 1 warlock died. So although the rolls were lucky I don't think there would be any Dark Riders / chaff units left after that.

Then I charge them, gave them 4 wounds (to the 1 they already had from RBT), thanks to rerolls and poison, took one in return, they fled, I didn't catch them, but they rallied, my next turn I charged them again, and killed them all before they hit back.

They're my new favourite unit now, for the moment, and I forgot to channel with them, so they should be even better.
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

This is an awesome unit. Run it around the flank into the back line and combine anti war machine with soul blight bombing the opposing army. You can 6 dice it (if you want) with little fear from miscast. D3 wounds with your 4+ invuln and its very manageable. I wouldn't run large blocks of these though, two smaller blocks add redundancy and better split fire capability. Plus with their ability to cast soul blight and be attacking in close combat war machines (other than steam tanks and the like) they have a rare ability to affect two different close combats at once.
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.