Clockwork's 9th Age Dread Elves!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Clockwork
Highborn

Clockwork's 9th Age Dread Elves!

Post by Clockwork »

Quick - an hour of sunlight in British Winter! Better take some pictures already! Apologies for any poor quality shots - the camera on my phone isn't great, and the one on the ipad is even worse.

First off, a little introduction. My colour theme for this army was based on the cover of the previous book:

I thought the red and silver scheme was very striking and moody compared to the traditional purple, which I feel is just moody. Although there's a lot of bronze used as well, I wanted to avoid that as its a common colour on my Lizardmen.

ImageImage

Mounted BSB, built mostly with parts from the Master on the Cold One (torso). The horse is from the Chariot kit. The banner isn't hand painted! Its one of the new transfers. I looked for a symbol of Eldrazor, the patron diety of my Dreadlord, but couldn't find one.

ImageImageImage

Mounted Supreme Sorcerer! Built from the new Shadowblade mini. And might I point out - that is an exercise in green stuff and bending that I never want to repeat.

ImageImageImage

Two units of Dark Riders, nicknamed the Bloodravens for their Raven motif and the colour of their shields. They have been stuck onto their bases so that they are in a 'V' formation, both to add to the sense of motion in the models and to demonstrate their martial discipline. This will also differentiate them to the Knights, who are ranked up in a solid and intimidating wall, and the Warlocks who's formation is much more haphazard owing to their background.

ImageImageImage

Warlocks! Probably some of the better models I've painted. The skull eyes and runes are green to show their Spooky Powers (you can also just about make this out in the eyes of the mounted SS' staff).

ImageImage

My converted Shades with Great Weapons, built from a variety of kits including - but not limited to - Dark Eldar Wyches, Shadow Warrior cloaks, Glade Guard heads, Executioner, Dark Rider and last edition Warriors for the Crossbow arms.
Last edited by Clockwork on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Clockwork's Dark Elves

Post by Setomidor »

Very impressive, especially like your sorc (I'm not picky about male vs. female casters as some are :) ) , that's an extremely nice conversion! How will you be basing everything?
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Updated with a few better shots.

Setomidor wrote:Very impressive, especially like your sorc (I'm not picky about male vs. female casters as some are :) ) , that's an extremely nice conversion! How will you be basing everything?

Thank you! As most Dark Elf players, I do have a bunch of female Sorceress lying around. But I wanted to do something special for the mounted one, and I really wanted to use the Shadowblade model in some way.

I honestly have not decided on basing, which is why they are still all unbased. I'm definitely looking to avoid the traditional goblin green, but I don't want to do snowy white either. I'll keep scouring the internet until I see something which inspires me.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Looks great, you've really captured the feel of that book cover.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Skilgannan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Skilgannan »

Really great. Very jealous of your skill!!!
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Impressive!
I especially liked your BSB and shadowblade as sorcerer =))

I agree that you have captured the feel of the book cover greatly.
Great work!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Great painting (it matches the cover perfectly!), great conversions and I like the idea with the V formation very much. I'm looking forward to more. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Elvenstar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Elvenstar »

Great work, I think this will look really well when you get on to monsters.

I wish I had thought of the formation before gluing 10 dark riders together, it will be really nice for ranking up too if you ever need to.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Really liking your theme!

looking forward to updates!
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

The attention to detail re: the placement of your models on their bases says it all. Nice work! Those GW shades are lovely too! I've been trying to think of a "simple" way to do this myself for a while - this is good inspiration!
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

I really like Your conversion ideas.

- Changing heads of warlocks - simple but great effect, now they looks like bad asses they are instead of mad elves on drugs.
- Shadowblade as sorcerer. Very dynamic pose with his cloak flying behind him, I like it.
- V-fomation - it's looks great on the table so natural
- Shades - also on the move ;)

keep converting.

Regards
KreoL
So GooD To Be EviL!!
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I have some Executioners ready to go as well; these should be up later this week.
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Brilliant dude - conversions and the paint job are fantastic - really love it.

Just out of curiosity - what paints did you use for the red? I like it alot, simple yet effective.
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Oh and you mentioned your knights in an earlier post - got any pics of them?

And any Witchelves' pics would be sweeeet - sorry for bein a pest here - just a tad blown away.
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

Awesome conversions, striking colour scheme and well executed!, really like the conversions for the shades, i might steal that idea :D
mypantsarefree13
Warrior

Post by mypantsarefree13 »

AMAZING conversions. I'm a conversion junkie, and this just got me itchin' for a fix.

-mypantsarefree13
johemero
Corsair

Post by johemero »

The shades look amazing! Keep it up.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Nazgolith wrote:Brilliant dude - conversions and the paint job are fantastic - really love it.

Just out of curiosity - what paints did you use for the red? I like it alot, simple yet effective.

On fabrics like cloth or flags, or on scales or anything with detail I use khorne red as a base then red wash and two layers of highlight: wazzdakka red then squig orange to add some depth. On flat surfaces I just apply the wazzdakka as it gives that striking red.

My Witches/sisters are next in the queue after I've finished the Executioners. Sisnw get as much time ivert xmas as I thought but hopefully I can get them done by the weekend and will take some snaps of the Knights too.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

:shock:

Not only are these some of the best conversions I have seen using the new models, they are amongst the best Dark Elf conversions I have ever seen.

Inspiring! :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Thanks heaps for the advice dude - you couldn't divulge what you used for the black shading could you? And hell. if you can be bothered, your metal scheme would be appreciated too.

The reason I ask is that being one broke ass student I can't afford to experiment with paints how i'd like too - got to get exactly what i need - no more no less - so yeah, your advice would assist both my models and my wallet.

Looking forward to seeing more updates - I regularly check this page - the few models you've posted have offered a wealth of inspiration to a budding Druchii - thanks alot! :D
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Nazgolith wrote:Thanks heaps for the advice dude - you couldn't divulge what you used for the black shading could you? And hell. if you can be bothered, your metal scheme would be appreciated too.

The reason I ask is that being one broke ass student I can't afford to experiment with paints how i'd like too - got to get exactly what i need - no more no less - so yeah, your advice would assist both my models and my wallet.

Looking forward to seeing more updates - I regularly check this page - the few models you've posted have offered a wealth of inspiration to a budding Druchii - thanks alot! :D

No problem at all! Happy to help - I'm similar in that I don't have the time or inclination to experiment, so I tend to find someone on the internet doing something I like and ask them how they did it or... buy White Dwarf o.o Its shocking, I know, but for the first time in a decade I bought 3 White Dwarfs this year (Lizardmen release and both Dark Elf releases). It might be that I lucked out, but in all three cases the Paint Splatter articles have been really good and given me excellent tips on how to get many of the styles that I wanted.

The black shading is so simple its amusing: abaddon black, then drybrush with mechanicus standard grey (which picks up all the detail on raised surfaces), then black wash and its really as simple as that. Originally I was highlighting with white scar, but this was just too much of a contrast and ended up making the model seem scruffy.

The silver is a little bit more involved. Again starting from abbadon black base, then a heavy drybrush of Leadbelcher, a black wash, and then a final light drybrush with Runefang Steel on areas where I want the light to be or draw attention to. If you wanted to save some dollar you could probably just apply a second layer of Leadbelcher with a really light drybrushing, but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough to stand out.

I'm still in my post-Xmas fugue and haven't done any more hobby recently, but the announcement on warhammer.org about the upcoming SCGT has inspired me again so I'm going to try and finish the Executioners this weekend. If I get time (and more importantly, sunlight) I'll also try and get some pictures of some older stuff that's been given fresh coats recently...

T.D. wrote::shock:

Not only are these some of the best conversions I have seen using the new models, they are amongst the best Dark Elf conversions I have ever seen.

Inspiring! :D

Thank you!
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Awesome Clockwork thanks alot for the help!
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Wow, lots of sweet ideas. Subscribed!

I love the V-formation dark riders, it compliments the sense of movement in the sculpts beautifully. Wish I'd seen this before I assembled mine, although I might still be able to extricate them from their bases! :)

And your converted warlock on horseback is just full of win. Well worth the hard work you went through.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Good work. Liking the 2-h shade conversion. Looking forward to seeing more.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Well, its about time I resurrected this plog!

Hot off the work bench, here's some converted Sisters of Slaughter! I loved the idea of them (if not the name), but though it was a bit silly that they were gender exclusive. After all, what happens to the disgraced male Druchii? So, here's some Dark Elf Gladiators!

ImageImage

As we all know, Gladiators have their own unique fighting style, so I've tried to emulate this by giving each one their own weapon loadout. And because Gladiators are all about putting on a good show, I've tried to make them look like they are being flashy with daring leaps, or intimidating masks. The red outfits both tie them into my paint scheme, and being the House's colours show who is sponsoring them for when they win great fame in the arena.

And over in another thread, I had some WiPs of my Executioners. Just a little touching up to do.

ImageImage

I've used the Shadow Warrior heads here both to make them a little more down to earth, and also to hail back to the Druchii history. These are the warrior elite of my Dreadlord's House, with many of them either having once fought for his family way back before the Sundering, or their armour has been passed down from father to son.

Edit: Bleh, and now looking at the pictures I realise that there's still a little bit more to do on the Gladiators as well.