Hatred (specific army)

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Hatred (specific army)

Post by Calisson »

It seems that the coming Dwarfs will get a fluffy rule with hatred:

Code: Select all

Ancestral Grudge : The Dwarfs have hatred (Orcs and Goblins) and hatred (Skaven). To determine the level of resentment felt by dwarfs to other hosts,after deploying before the advanced moves, he shoots a D6 and consult the following table:

1-2 Personal Revenge: The Dwarfs have the special rule hatred against the general of the opposing army.

3-4 Spiteful Determination: All friendly characters with the special rule Ancestral Grudge have the special rule hate against all characters of enemy army.

5-6: "Boiling Point Furious": All friendly models with the special rule Ancestral Grudge have hatred against all models in the enemy army.

I was wondering if this could help solving the uncertainty about our own hatred (HE),
for which some say it is the whole HE AB,
and some say it is only the High Elves among them (HE AB minus dragons, phenixes & eagles, plus HE mercenaries).

Thoughts?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Hatred (specific army)

Post by Thraundil »

Difficult to say. The dwarf rules you posted states that "...have hatred against all models in the enemy army", not anything with hatred (race).

However, high elves arguing that we dont get hatred vs eagles, phoenixes etc are kind of just trying to edge out an advantage with no argumentation. Is it a high elf phoenix? If yes, we get rerolls. If no, they cant include it in their bloody army. Thats the way I see it, when dark elves play vs high elves, all models with hatred (high elves) play with the hatred special rule for the entire game. Regardless of whether they are beating an eagle trying to protect the pesky dark elves, or the dragon carrying their hated kin into battle. Just my 10 cents.

But damn, the dwarf rule seems "random". Either you get hatred vs the general / characters, which is mediocre at best. Or you get all-round hatred (or, at least on the models with grudge rule, dont know how many models will have this rule obviously). Army-wide hatred 1/3 of the games is a little whacky, cos either it means dwarves STOMP their opponents 1/3 of the time, and the other 2/3 its an even game, or it means its an even game 1/3 of the time, and the other 2/3 of the time the dwarves cant fight in melee...
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think it's a very fun, fluff rule. It's focused around making the random engagement more fun, not point precision performance. I doubt it will make or break the battle either way.

I see it as another rule on the same line as Martial Prowess, Murderous Prowess etc. I think every army is going to get one or two special rules like this as a flavour/style token.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thraundil wrote:high elves arguing that we dont get hatred vs eagles, phoenixes etc are kind of just trying to edge out an advantage with no argumentation.
I would not accuse HE players to do that!
Actually, on Ulthuan, the consensus seems to be reversely that we hate the whole HE AB entries, regardless of species.
Actually, that was me who was arguing that we should not claim for an advantage when it is not clear that we deserve it.
But the Dw AB seems to help to clarify that, and after all, our hatred (HE) could mean indeed hatred (HE AB).

If hatred (X) was to be understood as X to be a species, not an AB, then Dwarfs hating O&G would exclude snortlings and trolls.
But would a Dwarf player facing an O&G army roll to see whether his army hates snortlings (1 roll) and trolls (1 other roll)? I doubt that anyone would play that way.
Hence, I am now inclined to go along the majority trend that hatred (X) means hatred (X army book entries).

Note that comparing with Goblins' fear of Elves, I will still consider that it would be Elves as a species, not the whole 3 army books.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

It would make sense, otherwise they would have a 1/3 chance to have better hatred vs. other armies than they have permanently against O&G and Skaven.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Interesting new rule. A bit hit and miss but fluffy.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The new quote from the same rule in the White Dwarf is:
"Ancestral Grudge: Dwarfs always have the Hatred (Orcs & Goblins) and Hatred (Skaven) special rules - this means any unit taken from Warhammer: Orcs & Goblins or Skaven. ... <some additional stuff>"

That settles it, I think?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Daeron wrote:The new quote from the same rule in the White Dwarf is:
"Ancestral Grudge: Dwarfs always have the Hatred (Orcs & Goblins) and Hatred (Skaven) special rules - this means any unit taken from Warhammer: Orcs & Goblins or Skaven. ... <some additional stuff>"

That settles it, I think?

Bam!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I updated the D.net FAQ with that.