The Dwarf Rumor Mill sucks

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: The Dwarf Rumor Mill sucks

Post by Dalamar »

You're not set when your expensive bus is going d6 random move instead of 18" fast can. It's not even about the damage.

I just barely lost a game against slaanesh dominant WoC yesterday because my execs were acquiesced at just the right moment and didn't make it in time to help the witch elves.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Gidean wrote:Peg Masters aka interceptors. :)

Certainly an option. I think we have the tools to deal with it. Just need to make sure they are viable in an all comers list. If Using peg masters against dwarfs , I would still want enough to go after the static war machines as well.
Bring out the triad peg master and lv4 list.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Pablo wrote:
If you think that europeans hard countered native americans, I would suggest looking at the book 1491. Essentially, a year before columbus, north america was ravaged by a plague of sorts that killed 80ish percent of the population.

I am aware of the reduction in population that occurred after Columbus landed and before the Founding Fathers arrived in the North;
http://www.cracked.com/article_19864_6-ridiculous-lies-you-believe-about-founding-america.html

But anyway, the point of my post was humorous. And the Aztecs did get a kicking off Cortez.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Amboadine wrote:Bring out the triad peg master and lv4 list.

a new kind of flying circus!

you can actually fit 4 Peg Master (at that point, only 1+ armor and Lance) and a Peg Dread(1+ reroll 4++),with a lvl4, in a 2500 list.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Wow. That Gyrocopter is just... awful.

Unlike some of the internet, I've thought that the vast majority of GW's recent stuff has been very good. Even the abomination that is the Skullcannon I only dislike because of aesthetic tastes.

But this thing is horrible. So many flat surfaces. So cartoonish it looks like it belongs in WoW. So... fundamentally absurd physically that suspension of disbelief is blown out of the water. Maybe its the paintjob that does it a massive disservice, but I'd rank this up as one of the worst models GW has ever produced. Which is a shame, as the rest of the Dwarf range looks great.

Ugh, I've just used the criticisms of GW models that usually make me roll my eyes, but in this case...

Edit: Somebody pointed out over on Warseer that it looks just like Doctor Robotnik...
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Call me crazy, but I like the copter/bomber model. It look like it's designed to be transported through dwarves tunnels.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Looks like it could be in special as opposed to rare as well based on the wording of them getting one new rare unit in the IronDrakes... though language can be finicky.

" via a Must Remain Anonymous Source on Faeit 212 ****
Dwarven Rules:
Ancestral Grudge - hatred Skaven/Greenskins; everyone else has a chart.
Dwarf Made - Re rolls
Resolute - +1 Strength on the charge
Relentless - no leadership for marching close to an enemy
Shieldwall - +1 parry when charged

Warriors: Stayed the same but with the new rules above.
Thunders/Quarrlers: +1 point, with new rules above and heavy armor
Longbeards: new rules above + old longbeard rules, +1 point, no longer 1 unit for every unit of warriors.

Hammers: don't remember points but looked the same; if general is present in unit, any, ANY model can accept a challenge.
Iron Breakers: pretty much the same, +1 parry bonus always!, stacks with Shieldwall rule, so 4+ ward save if charged!

Gyrobomber thing: in movement phase can drop bombs (place large blast, scatter, if it still hits a unit it passed over then resolve wounds, scatter from the center hole again with a small blast as bomb bounces). In the shooting phase it can shoot its cannon.

New Unit (Rare): Good stat line, Irondrakes (I think that was the name), handheld flame cannon (str5, 18", armor piercing, dwarf made, flaming attacks, ), they also have armor gromil-proven armor (I think) that gives 4+/6+ward/2+ward vs. flaming attacks."
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

In all honesty, the above sounds like a Dwarf's wet dream come true without any cost. Take the Thunderers and Quarrelers for example. They already are excellent combat infantry. Now, for 1 point more they get heavy armor, making them even more formiddable.
I think the high armor is suitable for Dwarves, mind. But 1 point? Hm. At what point cost do they come now?

As for the gyrobomber.. it is also rumored to come at 125 points. I doubt it will get both "bombs" and a full fledged cannon for that cost. I did see a profile with rules for a gun, at BS3 with multiple shots x4.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

really like the shieldwall rule, specially with ironbreakers making them a superanvil
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

They are looking to have some pretty nice rules.
Looking forward to picking up the book.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

If the above rumors are true then Dwarves will indeed be a stout and resilient hand to hand combat army. Ironbreakers having a 3+/5++ will make them tough as nails. Giving them Str 5 on the charge or 4++ when being charged is just.....wow! :burns:
Detherius Zythaal
Shade

Post by Detherius Zythaal »

The rerolls is obliviously false (it would make one of the rules of the engineer special character useless, and it would be far to much powerful), probably more like rerolls 1s to hit or something as such.
I like the new copters, more dwarfish (but far less realist). The real challenge for the author will be in the fluff part, as to why do the dwarves have not conquered the world yet? They could just send hundreds of bomber in the badlands and the darklands and destroy every greenskins tribe out there. They could also just bomb the s*** out of any chaos invasion before they can even get out of the Troll Country.
4++ parry save was what i was thinking for the new Ironbreakers (it fits very well with professional tunnel fighters to be nearly invincible when attacked from the front), and it seams that it will be the case when they are charged. Our infantry will really struggle against them.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm sure the copters are trickier to build than a goblin bolt thrower. I think in a fight of 3 bolt throwers vs. The bomber, the throwers would win. That and magic is why dwarfs are where they are.

You can take 10 years to build the perfect gun, but you will lose to someone who built 9 crappy ones in 9 years.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Detherius Zythaal
Shade

Post by Detherius Zythaal »

No amount of bolt throwers can hit a copter, they could not even shoot high enough or the projectiles would be too slow. Canons would be almost as useless. The analogy with guns might work if we were comparing guns with guns, we aren't. We are comparing war machines of poor quality from the dark ages against flying bombers, something we have only since the 20th century, that were made by the most competent engineers in the world. And gobbos are lazy while dwarves works 23/24 7/7 and lives 400 years, they have plenty of time to produces hundreds of them.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Time and knowledge the Dwarfs may have had. However do not forget that the engineers are bound by tradition. These new fangled copters are not something most longbeards would approve of. If the cannons and bolters of their ancestors were good enough for them , it should be good enough for the current warriors.
Public opinion is a powerful tool and this alone could limit the numbers available to each stronghold. Some may ban them all together.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

This is looking really good. I like how Resolute and Shieldwall force an interesting decision - does the Dwarf unit try to charge and get that +1 Strength? Or do they sit back for the +1 Parry?

Interesting that there's no mention of -1 charge/flee penalties as well. I'm not sure if that and Relentless is enough to make them more mobile, but its certainly interesting. Rangers and Miners are looking very formidable indeed.

Edit: Wait, why are Quarrelers/Thunderers now in Rare?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Who said they were in rare? The new build Ironbreakers with flame guns are rare. Haven't heard the thunderers being rare.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Its on the GW website. The unit is in both Core and Rare, suggesting that one of the two are a Rare choice.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hmmm interesting, I would imagine of the two units it would be the Thunderers as the rare unit.
A way of limiting full gun powder gunlines and making people have to really choose what they want in rare, instead of just bombers and warmachines?
Last edited by Amboadine on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Detherius Zythaal wrote: The real challenge for the author will be in the fluff part, as to why do the dwarves have not conquered the world yet? They could just send hundreds of bomber in the badlands and the darklands and destroy every greenskins tribe out there. They could also just bomb the s*** out of any chaos invasion before they can even get out of the Troll Country.

Truth.

Exhibit A:

I hope many of you will join me before it is too late. The writing is on the wall. It is clear we are looking at a greater than the United States vs Saddam's Iraq difference in technology and firepower now. :shock:

Exhibit B:

We are medieval. They have better technology than a space faring race of the 41st millenium. :o_O:

Resistance is futile. Join the SteamBorg. You will all be assimilated!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That's alot of bombers.
I guess it would be of more use making 4 copters and 2 bombers to fit the normal special and rare restrictions.
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

them beeing in both rare and special would suggest a dualkit.
one as ironbreakers and one as irondrakes

witch elves/ sisters of slaughter style
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

T.D. wrote:

We are medieval. They have better technology than a space faring race of the 41st millenium. :o_O:

You're joking right! Orks iz better az dez haz more dakka!! (and better spelling as well).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

T.D. wrote:We are medieval. They have better technology than a space faring race of the 41st millenium. :o_O:
:lol:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
gerryb56
Trainee Warrior

Post by gerryb56 »