[PLOG] Daeron's Blues

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Kinda bright -- especially for shades.

You could just paint the cloth black and do a bit of trim in blue at the bottom of the tunic and at the ends of the sleeves.

Also, that dark red on the dagger handles of the spears -- maybe do som red runes on the inside of the cloaks.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hmm.. Yeah that's too bright. Here's an updated version:

Now.. I do like trims a lot. They have a classy feel, but for shades (mountain people) I figured something more down to earth would be fitting. The blue torso and cloth could be covered by the cloak at need, and blue does hide better in the dark than pure black. That's why it felt natural to pick this approach.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Dyvim, is this the idea you were suggesting? I made most of the cloth black barring some lines and decorations, and the I did make the bracers blue to match the armor of the warriors.

I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Looks great to me!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Daeron wrote:Dyvim, is this the idea you were suggesting? I made most of the cloth black barring some lines and decorations, and the I did make the bracers blue to match the armor of the warriors.

This is pretty close to what I was thinking of with the black cloth and blue trim. I hadn't considered blue bracers, but I think it looks good. I do like this concept the best of those you've posted.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I really like your colour scheme and the warriors look very smooth.
From the three versions of the shades, I think I like the second one (simple updated version) the most, even though all of them are nice.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm slightly diverting from the original plan. There's a local painting competition for a champion or character on foot. I'll be participating with this little dude I've been keeping hidden in my closet, which I originally planned to paint for the Club-200 at a later stage.

Unfortunately, my skills aren't on a level yet that give me a good shot at winnin. I still struggle with balancing the dillution of my paint and getting clean results.. But.. one can't learn if one doesn't try. And I'm partaking to challenge myself to do better than my previous "best".

The plan:

Skin
- Base: XV-88
- Shade: Agrax Earthshade
- Layer: Tau Light Ochre
- Layer: Bestigor Flesh (extra layer to improve the quality)
- Layer: Kislev Flesh
- Highlight: Ushabti Bone

Blade
I'm aiming for a dark gray marble effect. It's a complete experiment as I have never, ever done something like it.

If I feel confident enough, I might add a mild, blue, glowing effect to the symbols on the blade, but source lightning is also something I've never done before.

Armor
Darkened metal (probably mixing runefang steel with abbadon black, so the metal becomes less radiant in de recesses (darker parts). I might experiment with nuln oil instead, or add multiple layers of shading.

I'll try to decorate the edges with gold. If I feel confident enough after that, I might add additional decorations, starting with the right pauldron.

The chainmail, I'll try to shade as I did for my RxBs with a bit more care to detail :)

Cloth
Blue, in colors similar to my RxB unit's armor to make the model match the army. I might add additional decorations here as well.

Sea Dragon Cloak
It's almost a pity it isn't cloth, since cloth can be highly detailed and decorated. The cloak will be getting a deep red-brown look on the inside and a turqoise look on the outside. I'm going for a fairly good contrast so the texture really stands out and makes the character more complex in look.

- The stiff breeze
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Your plan is sound, I'm especially looking forward to the sword. What is the time limit to get it done by?
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have 2 weeks left. :P

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I do think it's about time I give an update... What a ride it has been. Some stuff got in the way and forced me to abandon the painting competition as well as the club 200 at Warhammer.org.
I started painting again, partaking in the Bad Dice challenge. Hopefully, I'll be able to follow this one :)

Meanwhile I did change my army plans a bit. I'm going to build a different army with a vast amount of plastic models, including spearmen, Corsairs and Cold one Knights.... I'll be using Corsairs to be modelled as Shades (the shop struggles to get hold of the finecast models) and build a scratch made CoB.

Current painting status:

RxBs finished

I finished 16 actually, so I'll need to make a new picture with all of them included.

Painting Corsairs started

I finally finished the Sea Dragon Cloaks on my Corsais. It took me longer than expected and was dear to me, but I'm fairly satisfied with the result. I only feel I could have done the job a tad cleaner. Perhaps a glaze can help there, but I'm somewhat afraid of the impact it may have on the color of the scales.

- The stiff breeze
_grey_
Trainee Warrior

Post by _grey_ »

Wow, I love your blues. Very neat and clean. And very sinister.

Keep up the good work :D
Help you I will........but eat we must first. -Yoda - Empire strikes Back-
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Looking good. Can we get a front shot on the corsairs?
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

nice, this is really well done :p
i'm painting a blue kinda army as well :p
might steal your RxB idea a little.
Here is my Corsair (only finished 1, and i'm not a pro painter)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Nice going BlackPhantom. Seeing the blue you use, I can say that 'Lothern Blue' could serve as an additional highlight on the tips of the rims and lines in the armor to make them really "pop". But it would risk to brighten the model (and we're not high elves :))

I was going to paint the armor blue as well, but I was undecided on the other parts of the outfit. I'm thinking to keep their clothes and boots black though, since I like to keep the model a bit darker still.

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Looking good. Can we get a front shot on the corsairs?

They are unpainted still. I hope to finish them soon. Tonight I hope to find some time to do the faces. Tomorrow the armor.

- The stiff breeze
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

great to see you like my corsair :)
I used Ice blue as a highlight, but it kinda faded a bit, could be from the varnish, I dont know (the spraying can from GW)

I am going to see if I can make my RxB like yours, but with greenish-blue integrated. But mostally blue. :)

I have some older (really bad painted) rxb done with greyish armour (chainmail and mithril silver), and just the sleeves/robe in blue, but that doesn't fit in with the overall scheme I have in mind.

If my Rxb turn out half as good as yours, I'll be happy :)
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

really nice style mate. Love your crossbowmen!
if you're gonna do the armour of the corsairs the same as theirs,
Any chance on a step by step plog (with pics)? Not really planning on doing my army in blues. But i'm really trying to hone my skills.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hm, sure might try that though the quality of the work is not as impressive as that of some painters on this forum :)

I've rushed my first batch of 10 Corsairs a bit too much to look up the standard I've come to expect of myself. Also, the handling of the model and the drying of the paints has (IMO) slightly faded the colors on the cloaks. I may have to touch them up a bit but I'll post a picture of the finished work. I'll be doing another batch of 10 this month, and I'll see to it that I take pictures along the way.

- The stiff breeze
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

MY Army is Blue too - Loving your stuff! brilliant job on the armour :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Daeron's Blues

Post by Daeron »

It has been far too long since I've posted anything in here, so time for a recap. Using the hiatus from my local group, I am focusing on building all the new models and units to complete my army.

And while I'm building about it, why not review the latest models for the Dark Elves and blog about it?

A quick glance on the construction of Witch Elves. It's only a brief review, nothing detailed.

Building the Hydra
Building the Hydra model was... really... really fun. It's probably the most rewarding building experience yet. It's easy, fast and there's barely any annoying part about it: practically no mold line work, solid construction and quick results. The result looks better on the table than it did in the army book, so I'm really enthusiastic about this model.

Only downside: utter lack of configuration in pose and handler models. This can but must be achieved through conversions.

More details and pictures on the blog

Building the Executioners
Just finising a second box yesterday, the latest Executioners are "almost fantastic". There's configurability, modularity and very little moldlines. The poses are somewhat identical, but it makes them very easy to rank and file without a worry. On the entire kit, there's really only 1 point I disliked... and enough to temper the otherwise fantastic experience of building them: the pauldrons. They are attached to the sprues which can get annoying when trying to clip them free... without damaging the pauldron.

More details and pictures on the blog

The next model?
I'm currently working on two kits:
- The Cauldron of Blood. But for this one I'm considering a separate topic as I'll be making it modular to function as both COB and Bloodwrack Shrine. On the blog it will come in three parts (as I'll be reporting failed attempts to make it modular too :))
- The Warlock/Dark riders.

Once I have my two towers list built, I will continue the painting, probably finishing my Corsairs first.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Daeron - really like your blog and they way you have explained everything - well done!

Those last edition warriors look great, looking forward to seeing the new edition models you paint.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I take that as a very big compliment, coming from you. Thank you man! It's definitely an encouragement to continue.
I really hope my next attempt at making the cauldron of blood modular will work... for braggin purposes! :D
(and because I think that it's actually easy to do.. should my next attempt work)

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I recommend using some rare earth magnets (get the extra small ones) I did the Medusa the other day to clip onto a 40mm base.

Really like your corsairs as well. I'm just finishing up some dwarfs I have been painting for a distraction and was thinking of next doing a Corsair themed army. Your colour scheme works really well. The Blue/Green Brown works well together.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work on the blogs. Good reading. Thanks.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

This weekend, I finished my first batch of ten Corsairs after a long break from the brush. I'm happy with the overall result, and I learned a few things:
- painting black cloth or leather is hard, but I quite enjoyed learning this. I will be looking to improve my current recipe for it, which consists of abaddon black, eshin grey and then a blend of eshin grey with scar white for the final highlights. Nuln oil is thrown in there to improve the definition of the recesses. Next time i'll try increasing the brightness with a blueish, or yellowish tone to keep it darker while in increasing the contrast.
- the bronze recipe is nice. I expected it a bit brighter, but I like it. It's Balthasar gold, agrax earthshade, hashnut copper, sycorax bronze and final highlights with dilluted runefang steel. I need to improve the contrast though. I didn't find it easy to increase the definition there.
- the gold recipe is alright, but needs training. My first attempt looked more like bronze. My second attempt, see the helmet decoration of the Reaver, did succeed in looking gold, but lacks definition. I used balthasar gold, agrax earthshade, gehenna's gold and multiple layers of Auric armour gold with runefang steel to brighten up the final tips and highlights. Especially the auric gold needs multiple layers to work, but that is convenient for layering.
- the weapons... Well you can barely go wrong on those, and yet I feel the result is mediocre. I tried sharp contrasts combined with properly layered highlights to get a zenital lightening. I don't feel the layering of the weapon worked so well and it also yielded a lack of contrast to add a crisp highlight on the edges. I used black and white to darken or brighten the metals for the first base coat and the final highlight. That only made the metals look flat, making crispy highlights difficult.The result is still okay-ish but it's not the result I aimed for. I'll be trying layers using inks to darken the metals next time. And maybe I'll add another wash for good measure.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking good. I like the colours.
Also nicely balanced on the box for the photo :)