[PLOG] Daeron's Blues

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Daeron's Blues

Post by Daeron »

Magnets make it easy :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Awesome blues, I like them much. I am curious to see new models you paint

And I just took a look to your blog, I must say I will be visiting often for updates, thanks :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thank you! We try to make a post every Wednesday (sometimes Tuesday night).

This week, I reviewed the assembly of the Warlock model:
http://furnace.orderoftheathanor.eu/?p=897

I forgot to upload my picture of the final result, so I'll update that tonight :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
mathew_murder
Slave on the Altar

Post by mathew_murder »

looks good, i would paint the spearmen in the first photo's spears in the same colour as the shades and shards xbows though. the shades, bowmen and corsairs all have that lighter colour on them that makes it easier for my eyes to pick out all the other details and everything while the spearmen kinda look like a lump of black and blue with silver in there. but yeah otherwise i like them a lot! :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

THank you and I agree. In time I will. The spearmen have been painted over 5 years ago. I've been trying to improve my level of painting since. But I'm a slow painter.
I still have over 60 Warriors to paint, so I will give those priority over repainting the old ones... for now :)

- The stiff breeze
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Great stuff Daeron, I really like the sharpness of the blue.

What scheme are you using for the basing? It looks just about what I'm after.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

So yesterday I experimented with different heads for the executioners. My latest creation is the one on the left.

I quite like this and it's still rather easy to do. It does take some fiddling with greenstuff which isn't exactly something I'm trained in. But why not try it with these?
Now to find 30 helmets like that o.O

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice adaptation, the green stuff gives it something extra.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I would prefer to sculpt something on top of the rather large head now, but I have no idea what. I tried a rune, but found it rather challenging to make it look good. I scraped it off in the end, but... still... a large head like that begs to have it more decorated to make it look more elite.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:I would prefer to sculpt something on top of the rather large head now, but I have no idea what. I tried a rune, but found it rather challenging to make it look good. I scraped it off in the end, but... still... a large head like that begs to have it more decorated to make it look more elite.

Sculpting runes I can imagine would be very painful. I would possibly settle on painting a rune on.
If you want to add something you could look to have a flowing mane down acoss the shoulders and back similiar to the HE Swordmasters, although that could be tantamount to blasphamy, and a lot of green stuff work across the whole unit.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I bumped into this tutorial:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topi ... -gs-runes/
And thought it was just tempting enough to try it though it does look rather large compared to the Executioner's helmet.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Not a bad tutorial. Big difference in size though between a Space wolf Rune Priest in Terminator armour to a tiny helmet.
I guess it should scale down, but my god that will be fiddly. Good luck if you try it though.
What about engraving the rune so it is debossed into the helmet?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It's interesting seeing the different heads but I don't honestly think they're an improvement over the heads the models come with.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I tried sculpting a rune on top of the smooth helmet (the one of the left of the picture above). It didn't work out as hoped. It kind of works.. but not cleanly enough to make it look like it's part of the model and not something I just slapped on. I don't have the skills for it, apparently.

Now this leaves with a choice:
- Either train and try to make it work none the less
- Try something else

I find it a bit too much effort, too fiddly and too error prone to pick up the challenge for the time being, so I'm looking for an alternative. Maybe I can find a rune bit elsewhere, or I could paint it on, using a decal sheet, or I can try modeling something easier to do, like a flame or a few curls or something. It needs some filler to distinguish it from the mundane helmets and make it look more elite.

- The stiff breeze
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Daeron wrote:I tried sculpting a rune on top of the smooth helmet (the one of the left of the picture above). It didn't work out as hoped. It kind of works.. but not cleanly enough to make it look like it's part of the model and not something I just slapped on. I don't have the skills for it, apparently.

Now this leaves with a choice:
- Either train and try to make it work none the less
- Try something else

I find it a bit too much effort, too fiddly and too error prone to pick up the challenge for the time being, so I'm looking for an alternative. Maybe I can find a rune bit elsewhere, or I could paint it on, using a decal sheet, or I can try modeling something easier to do, like a flame or a few curls or something. It needs some filler to distinguish it from the mundane helmets and make it look more elite.

I am a bad sculptor (as evidenced in my plog) - but after reading about various putties and techniques, coud the issue be that as you carve the ruin, it is pushing up the green-stuff around it? If this is the case, it might make more sense to make the helmet in grey stuff and then carve the ruin in after it is mostly set up. Since it is water soluble, with a wet sculpting knife you should be able to etch out the ruin. These are just some thoughts - not from experience.

Also, I enjoy your plog/have been following it but have been wating to comment until I had something useful to say - nice job so far!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I could use a Dremel to drill out a rune, but I would prefer to have it highlighted in gold rather than carved in the helm. I'll give one more design a shot before I start drilling :P

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi Daeron - have you thought about cutting the shape for the runes into a sheet of clear acetate (thin plastic sheet) to make a stencil and pressing the runes using Green Stuff?

Found this tutorial that might explain it better - you might have more luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qlCmNp61cM
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

My december pledge:

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Good Luck with those Daeron - I have another 150 or so you can paint for me when your done if you like :P
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have 40 more after these already lol.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ambitious pledge for this time of the year. Good luck.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Finished! The quality of the picture leaves much to be desired, to the point they look like they only got sprayed and a base coat for the skin. :shock:
So for the coming two weeks I'll progressively improve the quality of the pictures until they look better than my first Spearmen.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Suitably sinister - how are you going to do the bases?
Mod's EDIT:
Psst Cult!
The bases are finished. Daeron's army walks on ashes.
Calisson
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Dark brown basecoat, brushed with grey-ish brown, brushed with ushabti bone. The stony pieces will be painted like stone: black, grey, tipped with skill white. Much like my RXBs:
I might add little bit of grass here and there, but not much.

Originally I had the ashen style (black -> brown -> ushabti bone/skull white) with dots of grass like these:
But I found I prefer bases with a bit more detail. They need less detail than the model, to keep the focus on the model (which is often my issue with resin bases), but a bit more colour and variety helps to liven up the model as a whole. Besides, with black and grey tones being so common place on my models (the robes, for example) it doesn't compliment the models well to have too black a base.

- The stiff breeze
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Wow, those really pop, great job!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1