Group 42 OOC

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

MangoPunch
Noble

Re: Group 42 OOC

Post by MangoPunch »

Marchosias wrote:Once your introductory post is up I will write a modpost where you will get some chance to affect the raiding. Now you should most of all say how near to the fighting do you want to go.

I am not sure if I need more clarification in the post, but if there looks like easy-ish prey Harkyl will try and get close, stabbing them in the back, or slitting their throat :killed: . If there is not, then he will maintain a safe distance and throw a knife at a distracted human.

Calisson wrote:Wouldn't Harkyl's inventory include a map, by chance?

Good call, added.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Love it! Cant wait to meet these bald knights :D
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

ModPost up!

@ MangoPunch: I think you were quite clear, no worry. :)

@ Searinox: Are you sure tempting fate in this way is a good idea? You would be surprised how powerful such a knight can be. :twisted: :D
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

whats life without tempting fate every now and then :D

Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

"Suddenly, a lightning bolt from a clear sky strikes you. Substract one hitpoint." :D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Marchosias wrote:"Suddenly, a lightning bolt from a clear sky ...
But why? Caraoc didn't sing! :?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Noooooo !eek! How many hitpoints do i have left? :shock:
damned Caroac with his singing... first the Yardmast and now this ;)

MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Sorry for my ignorance (have never done a forum based RPG before) can we continue the conversation / post more actions or is it one post per character per mod post?
-JGB

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

You can post as many posts as you want between mod posts.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Feel free to write something up. However, after this post I would like to ask everyone to please wait for the modpost - the NPCs need their turn, too. :) It should not take me long, I hope.

In a normal case you can post as often as you like if you have something new to add. Combat is an exception as many things are happening at once so you should not pile up too many actions before they are resolved.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Sounds good. I am not sure when I will be off and able to write another post today, so don't let me hold you up from a mod post. Harkyl will likley just have some more dialogue that can wait if need be.
-JGB

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

In this case - mod post up!

The promised explanation why boiling someones blood is not amongst the spells I would allow easily:

I think I cannot allow instant-kill spells due to game balance. You could potentially end up fighting a wide variety of foes and most of them would be ordinary humans or elves - maybe with good training and excellent equipment, but still lacking any supernatural resilience. It would make a bad story if someone like this - some local noble, leader of Sigmarites, elite High Elven spy or I do not know who - would be directly killed by a single spell. Some of them can have for example amulets for arcane protection, of course, and some can be so tough that they would survive (the warrior priests come to mind) but I do not want to restrict myself to this kind of enemies.

Of course, sometimes you might get swarmed by several weaker foes and then it will be possible to kill one with a simple fireball.

The second reason is that directly harming living organisms is very difficult as their soul is protecting them (this has no justification in WH fluff I think but it is a mechanism I like). If this were not the case, a creative mage could accomplish insane things with just a small bit of magic. For example, setting someone's hair on fire is quite difficult although burning a wig would be laughably easy. I think it is clear most fighters would be rendered useless if their hair was on fire, so it has to cost some effort. So casting on a person or her closest possessions (clothes, weapons) is difficult while casting on her surroundings suddenly far easier.

Does this make sense?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Sure! I just worked from the concept that the dear departed GM posted in an OOC post. That you could basically just be creative, and then the GM would mod :P For example a death mage could stop someones heart easily, whereas a fire mage could accomplish the same thing by boiling the blood - but this would be far less subtle. I will just try to describe what I would want to do, and leave it to the GM to determine the success. What you describe would, for example, make death magic next to useless in this kind of an RP setting.

To clarify; when I say I want to make his blood boil, I mean I "focus heat" into his body. The success of this attempt is at the GMs mercy. If for example the dice come out ridiculously good, it could be that an instant kill is in order - it is up to the GM to then give his "important" NPCs a kind of fate point or something. My take on game mastering is; the GMs word is final. Even if breaking his own system - be that to keep an important NPC or player character alive all the same. Some years ago I played a D&D campaign and my character was surrounded by a few common thugs. All of whom critted their sneak attacks and instantly gibbed my character of 6 months of development, just because the game master rolled a 20 on his d20 8 times straight. Instead of going with the rolls, he decided to have them beat me unconcious and steal most of my purse instead. So, GM calls the shots, players just attempts stuff ;)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Thraundil: Sure but sometimes it is worth knowing if you failed because of bad luck (and have a good chance next time the same action will succeed) or because of your limitations (and next time you would probably fail as well). :)
It is a good remark with the death mages but I think they can still prove valuable. They will not kill the boss outright but they can still weaken him. Their spells will probably be all quite difficult, though, as they manipulate directly with the target's soul.
Luckily, there is no death mage in the group so I do not need to worry about it too much. :)

----

Mod post up. There is quite a lot going on so if I have forgotten to mention someone or something please complain. :)
Now we will have a nice off time where you can chat, loot and lie to each other however you like.

---

@ MangoPunch: When you were creating your character I forgot to mention that on top of the free skill Cananatra had granted all of the player characters one extra point to character statistics. So are granted one as well, you can raise any stat you want by one. Sorry for not saying it outright, I hope I have not prevented some extra cool combo. :)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Those are some fancy names you came up with there :P
Cant wait to Trial'n'Error my way through them :mrgreen:

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I just hope you all learn human before my vocabulary grows into a solid book. :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Marchosias wrote:Basically, if you want to talk to someone or search the village or something, do it. Otherwise please give me a word so that I know I should move the story further.
As Harkyl remains in vicinity, Caraoc will wait and not read his newfound book.
There's not much to do else than discussion.
My understanding is that booty is a common property, save for what each individual can carry while remaining able to perform his duty. I.e. a few goldpieces and precious stones would be fair keeping for oneself, but that's not what you would expect to find in peasant's houses.

@ all
We might ease a little bit Mango's task to integrate his character, wouldn't we?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I think it would not be that hard for Caraoc to hide with the book somewhere Harkyl would be unable to see him. The tower, perhaps?

If I get the feeling that Harkyl is treated to harshly, the captain will come to save him, no worry. :) Kireth is such a nice guy, after all. :)
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Calisson wrote:@ all
We might ease a little bit Mango's task to integrate his character, wouldn't we?

Thanks Calisson; I think my newest dialogue might endeer Harkyl a bit more. Don't kill me, but a little mistrust is healthy for a Druchii.
-JGB

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Ah come on. The way he introduced himself begs for a little harsh return :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Caraoc's song must have gathered everyone around by now!
Mango, you've got a second chance for a first impression.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

This song is superb, Calisson! I think some corsairs might even be dancing. :)

By the way, how is it possible that Caraoc has no lyre or some similar instrument? Do you want one?

EDIT: Searinox, I am sorry if I have confused you - the glass vials in the tavern are all empty. I have not written it clearly, I am afraid. :(
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

as always, great song Calisson xD always love singing your lyrics to the song :P

but yeah Druchii are a distrustful bunch to start with, if one of them comes along with and entrance like that some harsh words are bound to happen ;)

dont worry Mango, we wont kill you... yet :twisted:

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thank you guys. I reused this song from Gr22, with minor adaptations. Couldn't resist the opportunity! :P
Marchosias wrote:By the way, how is it possible that Caraoc has no lyre or some similar instrument? Do you want one?
Well, there's the horn... :burns:
Caraoc could use maybe his handbow as a violin or a harp? :D That should do until he finds a better instrument. Edited my post.

@ Searinox
When you write Caroac, I assume you mean Caraoc?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

ow god :shock: yeah i mean Caraoc :oops: i'm so sorry