AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Re: AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Post by Lion of flanders »

CitizenKhaine wrote:Any tips for smoothing purple? not sure what to do for the base yet, maybe just some flock.

I'd suggest that purple isn't different from other colors. An uneven cast will make your life harder when trying to lay down smooth transitions. This figure has them and beyond smoothing me out first with some putty, you just need to work with what you have. Generally speaking, keep the amount of paint on your brush minimal, to avoid any pooling in the imperfections. Also generally speaking glazes carefully applied can do wonders for smoothing your transitions.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Thanks Lion, I gave it another got some improvement and you are right the model is not as smooth as plastic. Thanks for the tip
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I intended to put up more pictures this evening. I made one of those "CD Case" paint backgrounds to put my figure on, and had done some highlights and shading that I wanted to show, and to get more advice on where to go next.

I got it all set up, and went to get my camera...to find a dead battery. So, it's on the charger; pics tomorrow then! :)

Overall, not done, but coming along nicely in my humble opinion. We'll see how you all feel about it, I look forward to your comments.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So my entry is all done... but since its a competition entry I will need to get it a nice lightbox made... but with preparations for buckeye (to show what that entails, I am batch painting 17 executioners this week and 15 witch elves next... that's the kind of speed I need to keep up) it might be until after the tournament before I will actually post it...
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

OK, so here is what I call stage 3:

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Tad_W ... 0Stage%203

I still have some cleanup work to do. I still have smaller details like the eyes and mouth. I have to work on the cloak still, in fact it still looks like the previous set of pics, which I why there are no photos of the back. But most of the highlights and shading are there. I'd like your collective opinion about that. I think I might need to smooth out the facial shading and highlights a bit.

Finally the sword - the metal is shaded and highlighted for the most part, my concern is the runes. I'm considering giving them a "glowing" effect. Maybe a dark red base with a brighter orange highlight? Would that look corny, should I just leave the metal and highlight the runes with a shinier metal?

Any other comments are welcome. Thanks! :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@direweasel looking good

That metal could doo with a black wash on it to give it some more depth, then come back and highlight it with something brighter. The red/orange runes on the sword sound good, if doing that perhaps consider using OSL (Object Source Lighting) to pick up that colour light on some of the other models.

The red cloak looks good, the purple I am unsure about, perhaps some more shading with this.

What are your thoughts for basing? A good base design can make or break a model.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Cultofkhaine wrote: @direweasel looking good

Thanks very much!

Cultofkhaine wrote:That metal could doo with a black wash on it to give it some more depth, then come back and highlight it with something brighter.

I've done some shadowing with black wash on the metal. Then I did a highlight with mithril silver on the raised areas. Are you suggesting that I do more? Or that I did too much mithril? Is there a particular area of the metal that is too bright or just all of it?

Cultofkhaine wrote:The red/orange runes on the sword sound good, if doing that perhaps consider using OSL (Object Source Lighting) to pick up that colour light on some of the other models.

OK I can definitely look into that. I'll do a youtube search for some inspiration, and see if it's something I can do.

Cultofkhaine wrote:The red cloak looks good, the purple I am unsure about, perhaps some more shading with this.

OK yeah, definitely. I think I made the base color a little too dark, I'm having trouble with it. I also think it's a case where it looks more varied in person but not as much on the camera. I will definitely keep playing with it though.

Cultofkhaine wrote:What are your thoughts for basing? A good base design can make or break a model.

Well, I'm not sure how obvious it is in the pictures, but his feet are actually a couple of millimeters off the base. It's not flat. So I'm thinking I need to fill in that area with some filler-type stuff I've made before to do snow bases. But instead of snow, I was thinking of making it look like a desert-type thing. I have a beastman skull I was going to paint and put down there too. So that's the general idea.

I really appreciate your specific and well thought-out critiques. It helps a lot more than "looks good!", although I'll always take those comments as well. :P

If you have any more input, I'm very much open to it!

Blydz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blydz »

Here : some inspiration :) (artwork from Warhammer Online)

You did a good work :)
Your model is no more "too clean". Some adjustments are still to be made, but it's already good.

As says Cultofkhaine, it's necessary to work on the sword to darken it. In the same way, the effect can be applied to the armor.

For the "classic" weapons, here is as I proceed, it's a fast and simple way and looking good:
Black base, brushing with Boltgun metal (darken metallic color), washing with DevlanMud, then a brushing with Mithril Silver on the sharp edge.
You are not the center of the Universe. We are. - Disciple of Khaine Manifesto. Line 9

My PLOG
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@direweasel

the metal does not have enough depth to it (looks to bright) I think a could wash with black would dull it down and then pick out just the edges with a bright silver.

For basing have you thought about something raised of the ground to give the model some height - that's a limited edition model, worth giving it that something extra.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Hi guys and gals,
Found this 'how to paint a dark elf' guide on ToP, and thought it was well worth sharing:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.fi/2014/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-elves.html#more
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Cultofkhaine wrote:@direweasel

the metal does not have enough depth to it (looks to bright) I think a could wash with black would dull it down and then pick out just the edges with a bright silver.

I must have badly overdone the mithril then, because I did that, and then highlighted the whole top half of the sword with mithril. Same with that kneecap piece. I did that whole piece in mithril silver, because I wanted it to jump out from the rest of the metal on the legs, but I can see now that it's too much. I'll wash them both back down. I've said before, sometimes I don't know when to STOP highlighting. Thanks for the input.

Cultofkhaine wrote:For basing have you thought about something raised of the ground to give the model some height - that's a limited edition model, worth giving it that something extra.

I agree in principle, but have ZERO experience with raised bases. I don't mind learning though, in fact that's kind of the point of this whole exercise in my book!

Any tips to start, or websites/youtubes I could watch to get ideas? I really have no idea where to start on that.

Thanks again!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@direweasel have a look at this link for some inspiration with bases http://forofreakfactory.mforos.com/1036885/7653726-elfos-oscuros/?pag=3

I would use an absolute minimum of the Mithral silver for highlighting just the extreme edges of the model.

@Darkmark nice tutorial - good find!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Thanks again for all the advice CultofKhaine. That website is truly incredible. Tons of ridiculously good paintjobs, the basework is great too as you say. I will see what I can work out.

And as you suggest, I will tone down the metal shades again. More pics coming in a week or so with any luck, although this weekend is busy.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Progress for my entry.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Oh come on now!

*looks at his mini and sulks a bit*
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Blydz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blydz »

Nice ! :)
You are not the center of the Universe. We are. - Disciple of Khaine Manifesto. Line 9

My PLOG
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

That's amazing looking Cultofkhaine. That will look truly brilliant painted up :)
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Awesome :) Great idea and very well executed.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Nice idea! :)
Looking over at my entry and back at yours I guess I should have picked my other idea, a Dreadlord "surf-riding" two dragons simultanously, instead :lol:
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Cool Dragon CultOfKhaine ! My model is feeling a little undermodded :-)
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

That is beyond cool man. It's like it's straight out of the book artwork, which I know you said is what you're going for.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Progress for my entry.

Wow, that is really awesome! I can't wait to see it painted!
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

:shock: Stunning. great job Cultofkhaine, I wish to have it on my shelf. Are You plan to add more models to this diorama? slave girls etc. ?
I'm waiting for more progress photos :mrgreen:
So GooD To Be EviL!!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks all for the great comments, I have always wanted to paint this model but never had the guts to tackle it. Even though I can't win a prize this competition has been a great motivator to get some paint on it.

@Kreol No I wasn't going to add any more models other than Malekith, I wanted to keep the focus on him. The Dragon sits on the top of the throne using rare earth magnets and can be removed if required. My aim is to use this piece of terrain as a Magewraith Throne for storm of Magic Games.

I will post some more WIP shots as I go!
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing CultofKhaine, the artwork of 6th edition army book is still the best ever made and to see artwork transformed into a model is just stunning !