AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Payce
Executioner

Re: AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Post by Payce »

Khaleth Blackheart wrote:@ Payce, nice looking model :) any chance of a better lit photo?
Will look amazing if this one is anything like the ones in your plog :)

Ask and ye shall receive:

Still got some work to do on her, greenstuff, filing and touching up, before I prime her. And yes, I do intend to paint her up to fit in with the ones in my PLOG. In fact, she is even briefly mentioned there already... ;)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice conversion. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Very nice looking Payce :) now get some paint on her ;)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

seriously pace that looks friggin amazing, cant wait to see the finished model!
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

OK I think I'm pretty much done, I'd like any final input anybody might have before I post it as my entry. The advice I've been given so far has been great, and I can say without hesitation that this is the best miniature I've ever done. That doesn't mean it can't be better though, so if anybody has any last bits of constructive criticism, let me know.

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Tad_W ... de%20Final

Thanks!
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Possibly give the cloak a thinned out green wash (medium + Coelia/Thraka) to tie the bright green scales with the others a bit more. Otherwise looking good.

Loving the base.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Thanks - for the base, I was trying to capture the chaos wastes - desert terrain and a beastman skull seemed appropriate.

For the cloak, I will give that a shot - I was actually going for a vivid contrast, but if you think it's too much, I will try and tone it down with a wash.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

I like the contrast, but it kind of looks like you've added the bright green on after everything else, making it stand out just a little too much. A very thin shade will keep the contrast and tie the colours together more for a more unified overall look.

I definitely like the bright spots, just think they can look even better with just a tiny touchup :)
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Payce wrote: I like the contrast, but it kind of looks like you've added the bright green on after everything else, making it stand out just a little too much.

If it kind of looks like that, it's probably because that's exactly what I did. :)

Payce wrote:I definitely like the bright spots, just think they can look even better with just a tiny touchup :)

Will do. This is exactly the sort of reason I posted these pics here before dropping them over on the competition thread. So thanks! :)

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@direweasel I would use that light green you have used on the scales of the cloak to edge highlight the darker scales. Then on the one single point of each scale put a bright dot of colour, say yellow or white to give it a small highlight - follow this with a very thin wash of green.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ direweasel

Really nice job there, it's looking good! I think it's a bit hard to comment on the colours given that the photo is not taken under some natural light, maybe try and get a photo outside in the afternoon, or if it's not too bright, so we can get a better idea of how the colours work? Otherwise, the points about bringing the green back down a shade are all valid, or alternatively you could bring up some of the other colours on the mini with a final edge highlight, just to add a little more contrast? Up to you, but I'd say first get a few more photos. Good work!
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

@direweasle - good to see the model done :D
If I was to add anything, it would be to add a little mithral silver highlighting to the sword edge and and armour edges you can get to without getting it on the rest of the armour. Good idea doing the slideshow on all the angles, showed it off nicely

@Payce - loving the model!
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Blydz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blydz »

@Ilmaestro
Thank you for these words :)
I followed your advice and I have to admit that the result pleases me. Even if afterward, I notice that it would have been necessary to me to dilute a little the ink, not to hide completely the highlight effects.
I also added some touches of silver on the head of the staff for a less rough transition.

Finally, I added on the base some cotton to accompany the sand and give a little more "consistency".

You are not the center of the Universe. We are. - Disciple of Khaine Manifesto. Line 9

My PLOG
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Spent some time painting last night and got all the armor done. Progress is being made
Truly These are the End Times ...
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I think that cotton is a brilliant idea, and the rest of the work you've done on it since the last posting is good too. I liked the mini last time, now it's outstanding! Great work!

Khaleth Blackheart

@ Blydz @ Direweasel, excellent work both of you :) you should both be proud.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

CitizenKhaine wrote:@direweasle - good to see the model done :D
If I was to add anything, it would be to add a little mithral silver highlighting to the sword edge and and armour edges you can get to without getting it on the rest of the armour. Good idea doing the slideshow on all the angles, showed it off nicely

There is mithril silver on the edges of the blade, maybe they don't show well in the pictures. I don't want to add more, because then it's too much. But on the handle and on the blade edge, there is mithril. I also do have some on the armor edges on the main breastplate, as well as on the edges of the metal shoulder guard, and on the top of the kneecap armor. Again, if I put more on, I'm pretty sure I'll get comments like I already got, saying that it was too bright and to wash it back darker. :)

I'm glad you like the slideshow approach, that's a standard Photobucket option. Obviously, when I post to the contest page, I won't be able to do that, but I like that way of showing minis too.

Khaleth Blackheart

Here's an updated pic of the skin on the face, thanks to Ilmaestro :)
It's a little hard to tell because of my camera, but I've given him a dark yellow wash, which I think gives a sort of sickly look :)

Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

I'm done... but it's TOO DAMN BRIGHT OUT to take proper pictures.

I never thought I'd want LESS daylight for taking pictures. Trying again in the afternoon.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Just a small, kinda dark WiP shot. Still need to do the skin, the base, some trim, and the banner ... but you can get an idea of where it's going.

I am really unsure of how to do the banner. My guys are from Ghrond, so I want to do the eye rune, but I don't know if I want a light rune and light banner edge with a dark background, or a dark rune and dark edge with a light background ...
Khaleth Blackheart

Dyvim tvar wrote:Just a small, kinda dark WiP shot. Still need to do the skin, the base, some trim, and the banner ... but you can get an idea of where it's going.

I am really unsure of how to do the banner. My guys are from Ghrond, so I want to do the eye rune, but I don't know if I want a light rune and light banner edge with a dark background, or a dark rune and dark edge with a light background ...

I'd go dark rune, dark edge, light background just because it's different and could look very cool :)
Also excellent job so far Dyvim tvar, I really like the colours and it's a very neat job :)
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Dyvim tvar wrote:Just a small, kinda dark WiP shot. Still need to do the skin, the base, some trim, and the banner ... but you can get an idea of where it's going.

Looking good - and I would opt for the dark rune, the model has a dark brooding look that would clash with a light rune. Looking forward to seeing more
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Dyvim tvar any chance of a bigger picture to see the detail better. I prefer darker banners personally with lighter runes
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Painted my banner last night. Here's what the model looks like now:

I don't know that I am entirely happy with the banner. Need to finish off the base and do a bit of touch-up here and there.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Maybe someday I'll be able to freehand like that. That's the sort of stuff that separates the men from the boys in this hobby IMO.

That banner is excellent work. :)