DRUCHII.NET SECRET SANTA

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: DRUCHII.NET SECRET SANTA

Post by Holt »

Without giving anything away, let me just say that I feel incapable of matching the quality of work of the person I've drawn. Ridiculous skill and fantastic conversions in this person's PLOG

You aren't the only one feeling like this haha. Still, gonna give it my best shot.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Looked over my recipients stuff and I'm excited to do something in a new color scheme.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Without giving anything away, let me just say that I feel incapable of matching the quality of work of the person I've drawn. Ridiculous skill and fantastic conversions in this person's PLOG

You aren't the only one feeling like this haha. Still, gonna give it my best shot.
Lucky both of you are. :P
Think about it. This challenge will certainly force you to improve yourself, looking closely at the example set by a true master of the art of miniatures. :o

Reversely... :?
I feel sorry for the poor ones in the reciprocal situation. :(
They will be forced to paint a model in the same, lousy quality as displayed in your PLOGs... :sick:

(Hey, don't kill me on the spot :badh: , I do not mean what I wrote, but it seemed so funny that I could not resist :lol: )
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Well, sinking down to my level would certainly be a challenge for some of you, as well. Just in a different way. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

My recipient already has a dragon and a pegasus, but I don't think they have a manticore yet. I happen to have in my possession some vintage manticores from like 10 years ago, 1 of which was still in the blister, until about an hour ago. :)

I'll post a picture when I get him assembled and primed.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Not only I'm amazed by my recipient's skill, it also seems there is not much they don't already have. I guess I'll have to come up with something original...
I have one crazy idea, will post more if I manage to get it working. ;)

Also... I feel really bad by writing this, I don't want to sound too picky, but I have just realised that from Marchosias' battle reports it might seem a good idea to send a pegasus. Unfortunately we already have some crazy plans for those (in short, we don't have them at all and some crazy conversions are already underway), so as much as I am going to love any model, if my secret santa wants their gift to see battlefield...
Just saying, because there's othrwise no way to know this.
And I'm terribly sorry if this sounds... weird or picky or something. :oops: :oops: :oops:
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Actually I do not see any problems with mentioning what you would like to receive. It is christmas after all and it is quite common to send your wishlist to Santa! It also helps your secret Santa in case it is not so obvious what direction to go. Just do not be disappionted in case he/she deciedes to go another route.

I just checked out my recipients blog and have an idea of the direction to go, but I am not completly convinced so far. I will dig through my bitsbox tonight to see how that idea can be made real.

Information for my secret santa: I know I do not have a plog yet. I will try to take some pictures the next days and will start one. Hopefully that is the kind of motivation I need to paint more often :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Helle wrote:Actually I do not see any problems with mentioning what you would like to receive. It is christmas after all and it is quite common to send your wishlist to Santa! It also helps your secret Santa in case it is not so obvious what direction to go. Just do not be disappionted in case he/she deciedes to go another route.

I just checked out my recipients blog and have an idea of the direction to go, but I am not completly convinced so far. I will dig through my bitsbox tonight to see how that idea can be made real.

Information for my secret santa: I know I do not have a plog yet. I will try to take some pictures the next days and will start one. Hopefully that is the kind of motivation I need to paint more often :)

Thanks for making me feel better, especially as I am writing more what I wouldn't like to receive because I wouldn't really be able to use it. :) And please do make a plog, I'm sure more people than just your secret santa would love to see it. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

I also don't think it's a problem to say "please don't give me an X".

I'm pondering what to do for my giftee, and am leaning towards an assassin, but still plenty of ideas to mull over...
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

My wish list:

1) Fighty character on a Dark Steed
2) Fighty character on foot
3) Assassin
4) Anything really
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

As it seems cool to put in an exclude list... :)
Dear Santa,
Please don't send me an Assassin, I have 5 and I have never used any of them. I love the model and keep getting them , but just never seem to be able to squeeze them into a list.
Thanks
P.S. I have been bad :evil: this year, in keeping with the Druchii principles
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I'll be happy with anything anybody gives me. Thanks. :)

(Not meant to disparage those who have given suggestions, I think that's a fine idea. I just don't have any particular needs, and will be happy to use whatever I get)

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I would also say that there is nothing wrong with posting a wish list. Help your S Santa to make something that you will like!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

CitizenKhaine wrote:P.S. I have been bad :evil: this year, in keeping with the Druchii principles
Empty boasting! Pics or it never happened :twisted:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Today I got the message that I have to be abroad some weeks in November for work, so I am not sure if I can finish the miniature until December 7th. Therefore I would like to ask if it is ok if I maybe send the Miniature some days later. It will definitly be before Christmas so it will arrive in time! Otherwise I would have to drop out unfortunately.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi Helle - so long as you can get it to your member before Christmas, if you cant do this then perhaps you had better pull out.

Please PM me your decision - thanks Cult
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

How is everyone's secret santa coming along? It would be great to see some early progress shots of what people are working on.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Cultofkhaine wrote:How is everyone's secret santa coming along? It would be great to see some early progress shots of what people are working on.

I have cleaned up, assembled, and primed a manticore. I have taken a few pics of it too, but haven't uploaded them yet. Hope to do that this week.

Also, I'm going to include a base, but I'm not going to paint it. I figure that way the recipient can do their base their way, so it will match their army better than I could replicate. As such, I think I'll actually be able to post pictures of the finished product without giving anything away, in terms of who the recipient will be. So I will get those up too.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Ican try to snap a few pictures of what I'm working on, but I'm afraid I would have to stop in early stages not to give too much away.
My painting blog

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

I started work on my model a couple of weeks ago and took a couple of photos on my phone before I got started.
The image quality isn't great but it is too late to get another. She has had all the lumpy harpy bits filed away plus her arms and legs repositioned so she is dancing on a pole :shock: I imagine she is performing to "Beautiful Dangerous" from the Slash album.
I was going for something a bit more festive for the xmas spirit (but not the colour scheme)
The top of the pole is a musicians horn, with the arm cut off and replaced with a greenstuff tail.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

That's wrong on so many levels - I love it! :)

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

direweasel wrote:That's wrong on so many levels - I love it! :)

I concur. They have some disturbingly strange 'gentlemens' clubs in Naggaroth :)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

That's very funny and cool.

Maybe put it on a 40mm base though so your recipient can drop it in as a unit filler in a non-harpy unit? I can imagine her dancing in the middle of a Black Guard unit ...

You could even have some gold coins scattered around her feet as tips from patrons.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice start - good luck to the person who gets it. :D
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Dyvim tvar wrote:That's very funny and cool.

Maybe put it on a 40mm base though so your recipient can drop it in as a unit filler in a non-harpy unit? I can imagine her dancing in the middle of a Black Guard unit ...

You could even have some gold coins scattered around her feet as tips from patrons.

I would put it in a Corsair unit if you did that. The stripper pole would double nicely as a ship's mast!