How to get a high Swedish Comp Score?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

BollaertN
Slave (off the Altar)

How to get a high Swedish Comp Score?

Post by BollaertN »

So, for a Tournament they are requiring Swedish Comp of between 8 and 14. At 2500 points, my typical Draft list comes in at a 0.8 !lol!

So I started tweaking with it and could get it down to an 8 without having to totally gut it, but they are also doing Active Comp where the difference in Comp Scores (x100) is awarded as Bonus points. So a 14 vs an 8 would yield +600 points in favor of the 14 when tabulating results.

Looking for ideas for the best lists that score at the softer end of Swedish? I've managed an 11, but that requires me to almost completely drop Executioners and go down to two RBTs... It doesn't seem plausible to get a higher score than that without taking 0 Warlocks.

Does anyone have experience with very soft comped Dark Elf lists?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Re: How to get a high Swedish Comp Score?

Post by Mikael.k »

My friend - this is very possible indeed! :) Getting good scores on DE is a bit tricksy since our book has hardly no bad choices. So, in general, swedish comp forces you to let some of those "tools" go and think about how to best utilise other units that are normarly considered maybe a bit subpar. Like you say, warlocks are harshly comped in swedish, but you can deffinetly get them in and still have a good score if you want to. Here is what I have been toying with lately:

Dreadlord: Giant Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, HA, SH, SDC, Brace of Rptr Handbows, Dark Steed- 287 (-29)
Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll, Opal Amulet- 260 (-35)
Master: Battle Standard, Dragonhelm, Potion of Strength, Luck Stone, HA, Shield, Lance, Cold One- 154 (-18)
Sorceress: Level 2, Lore of Light, Ring of Hotek, Dark Steed- 175 (-11)
23 Darkshards: Full Command, Shields, Gleaming Pennant- 334 (-10)
9 Dark Riders: Full Command, Shields - 183 (-6)
6 Dark Riders: Musican, Shields - 112 (-6)
10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness- 345 (-17)
24 Black Guard: Full Command, Razor Standard- 435 (-21)
5 Harpies: 75 (-4)
Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-7)
Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-9)

Total: 2500
Comp: 12,7

This is probably the list I will be trying next, I feel it has most things you need while still retaining a good score.

Dreadlord: Giant Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, HA, SH, SDC, Brace of Rptr Handbows, Dark Steed- 287 (-29)
Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Light, Dark Steed- 240 (-39)
Master: Battle Standard, Dragonhelm, Potion of Strength, Luck Stone, SDC, Lance, Cold One- 154 (-19)
Sorceress: Level 1, Lore of Light, Ring of Hotek, Dark Steed- 140 (-9)
Sorceress: Level 1, Lore of Light, Dark Steed- 90 (-7)
23 Darkshards: Full Command, Shields, Gleaming Pennant- 334 (-10)
9 Dark Riders: Full Command, Shields - 183 (-6)
6 Dark Riders: Musican, Shields - 112 (-6)
10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness- 345 (-17)
21 Black Guard: Full Command, Razor Standard- 390 (-16)
5 Harpies: 75 (-4)
Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-7)
Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-9)

Total: 12,2
Total: 2490

Not entirely sure about this one, but I feel it has great potential. Lore of light is such a good lore for the CoK bus and having that high strength banishment is nice vs stuff that try to avoid me.

Dreadlord on dark pegasus @ 292 pts giant blade, charmed shield, dragonbane gem, the other trickster Zs shard, seadragon cloak, heavy armour, shield -27
Supreme sorceress @ 255 pts lvl3 light, ring of Hotek, sceptre of stability, ironcurse icon -29
Sorceress @ 115 pts lvl 2 light -11
Sorceress @ 95 pts lvl 1 light, scroll of shielding -6
Death hag on cauldron of blood @ 355 pts battle standard bearer, the rampagers standard -23
34 Witch elves @ 449 pts full command, razor standard -34
28 Spearmen @ 287 pts full command, gleaming pennant -8
11 Crossbowmen @ 142 pts musician -6
10 Crossbowmen @ 130 pts musician -6
5 Dark riders @ 85 pts shields -4
5 Dark riders @ 85 pts shields -6
2x1 Reaper bolt throwers @ 140 pts -16
5 Harpies @ 70 pts -4

Total points: 2500 pts
Komp 12.0

All in with the crazy witch elf/cauldron horde. Add in light magic and you have a unit that is lightning fast and not so easy to avoid all of a sudden!

Most of these lists have been masterminded by others, but I have put my personal flavour on them (the unit of BG for instance) :)

I do have a comp 13,7 list with double dreadlords aswell! :D
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Well I would avoid warlocks, they get clobbered. I would also only take 2 RBT in swedish, the third and fourth are pretty heavily comped. If you are taking executioners, consider lore of metal, it doesn't get hit that badly and the +1 to hit and the scaly skin spell work pretty well with exeuctioners, depending on tournament rules final trans can give you a hail mary option against deathstars.
BollaertN
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by BollaertN »

Awesome! Thanks!
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Op where are you from? Sounds like your prepping for a mid Atlantic masters qualifier. Colonial carnage?
BollaertN
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by BollaertN »

Sun-tzu wrote:Op where are you from? Sounds like your prepping for a mid Atlantic masters qualifier. Colonial carnage?

Indeed, I am looking at Coastal Carnage :-). I am in Maryland.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Have you been able to get together any good lists? :) Sometimes one need to shift focus from character heavy lists and get more units, and we have some awesome ones to choose from!
BollaertN
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by BollaertN »

Well my generic list clocks in at 0.8 so I have to think differently :-)
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Ive made multiple (imo competent) lists above 14.0

List i most used is 14.5, has a mobile death sorc (lvl 3) and a lvl 2 dark, witches with couldron, 2 rbts and small units of coks / execs.

You have to write the lists with the comp next to you... that's really about it :p
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Would you mind posting that list Harkonnen? :) Sounds very intresting!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Play something other than Dark Elves ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Sure, i can post it :)

copyd from bscribe, number in front is total "swedish points" cost.

+++ 2500 swedish deathdark msu 14.5 (2499pts) +++

+ Lords (285pts) +

37 - Supreme Sorceress (285pts) [Dark Steed (20pts), Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 3]
····Lore of Death
····Magic Items (80pts)
········Arcane Items (15pts) [Sceptre of Stability (15pts)]
········Enchanted Items (50pts) [DE - Cloak of Twilight (50pts)]
········Talismans (15pts) [Obsidian Trinket (15pts)]

+ Heroes (430pts) +

22 - Death Hag (300pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (25pts)]
····Cauldron of Blood (190pts) [2x Hag]

8 - Sorceress (130pts) [Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 2 (35pts)]
····Rules: Always Strikes First, Hatred (High Elves), Hekarti's Blessing, Murderous Prowess
····Lore of Dark Magic
····Magic Items (15pts)
········Arcane Items (15pts) [Scroll of Shielding (15pts)]

+ Core (695pts) +

18 - Witch Elves (328pts) [Hag (10pts), Musician (10pts), Two Hand Weapons, 23x Witch Elves (253pts)]
····Standard Bearer (55pts) [Razor Standard (45pts)]

4 - Blackark Corsairs (142pts) [Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Sea Dragon Cloak]
····12x Blackark Corsairs (132pts) [12x Repeater handbows (24pts)]

4 - Dark Riders (95pts) [Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Spear]
····5x Dark Riders (85pts) [5x Shield (5pts)]

8 - Dark Riders (130pts) [Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Spear]
····6x Dark Riders (120pts) [6x Repeater Crossbows (18pts), 6x Shield (6pts)]

+ Special (1089pts) +

10 - Shades (126pts) [Hand Weapon, Repeater Crossbow]
····7x Shades (126pts) [7x Additional hand weapon (14pts)]

5 - Executioners of Har Ganeth (164pts) [Draich Master (10pts), 12x Executioners of Har Ganeth (144pts), Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Musician (10pts)]

5 - Executioners of Har Ganeth (164pts) [Draich Master (10pts), 12x Executioners of Har Ganeth (144pts), Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Musician (10pts)]

6 - Cold One Chariot (115pts) [Scythes]

6 - Cold One Knights (190pts) [6x Cold One Knights (180pts), Dread Knight (10pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield]

6 - Cold One Knights (190pts) [6x Cold One Knights (180pts), Dread Knight (10pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield]

7 - Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

9 - Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Any comments welcome :)

Imo Death and Dark lore together are very good. In almost all matchups i get a useful spell, sometimes very good (death nukes, sun, word of pain), and in swedish comp Death is, while penalized, verrry good... And a lvl 3 gets penalized much less than a lvl 4 !

Also with the many small units i rly love the 18 inch BSB bubble (3 stupid units etc....). Ofcourse cannons are a pain, but swedish is pretty rough on cannons too, plus i can spirit leech or sun the cannons aswell.

If you want to make it a 2400 list just dump the chariot and take extra dark rider or something. there you got a 15.0+ list. (In swedish the 6 pts penalty for 1 chariot is bullshit, imo, but dont got anything better to take ^^).
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

There are several places where you can make smallish cutbacks to save some comp points. I made a 2000 list that scores 18, and here's some of the choices I made:

Level 3 using Dark Magic w/ Tome of Furion on Dark Steed = -31

Using Dark Magic w/ the Tome, you're guaranteed to get a very useful spell against whatever army you're playing against - which reduces the sting of not taking a level 4 - while sacrificing some dispel ability (+1 to dispel and/or a scroll) to save potentially up to THIRTY comp points. That's a +300 VP swing right there for you. In a comped environment, the dispelling loss is a slightly easier pill to swallow.

23 Witch Elves = -18

This is actually a pretty light score for this unit. Adding a CoB (only -13 for a total of -31) makes this a very, VERY good unit for the comp points cost. And it's core.

Harpies = -3

No, they aren't AMAAAAZING, but they are pretty good for a comp score of -3 per unit. I bring 2 units of 5 instead of heavily comped Shades. Yes, Shades are better - everyone knows that.

15 Black Guard = -8

I found this unit to work very well in range of the Cauldron to guard a flank of the Witches. Extremely good against other Elves in combat since they re-roll attacks despite no ASF and have I6 so most elf units won't get re-rolls against them. Even outside the range of the CoB this unit can stand up to most elf units, and at least hold for a turn.

5 Cold One Knights = -6

I've found this unit to be useful in a comped environment, because they can pick on smaller/weaker units very well, and also can be served up to deathstars if needed for just 150 points. I put my cold one mounted BSB in a unit of 5 with standard.

Magic Banners

Most banners aren't comped, and so if you're at your comp point max and are still a little short on points, magic banners are a useful way to eat up some points and increase the effectiveness of your units. Particularly the Razor Banner on say the Witch Elves.

Conclusion
You can still get some of the stuff you really want, such as a Cloak of Twilight Peg Master (which scores -21) but I think by skipping the "usual suspects" (Warlocks) and taking some more interesting choices, you can still get effective units into the list. I put my Supereme Sorceress on a Manticore w/ the Black Amulet and Other Trickster's Shard - which actually carries less of a comp hit than on the dark steed - and I have to say it's worked pretty well so far for me. It takes some thought to use, but I think that these kinds of choices are what makes it fun.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

Here is a list that I used at a tournament last weekend that had to score between 8 and 13 and was running active comp

lvl4 beast General
dragon
black amulet
iron curse
585/48

master BSB
AoD
shield, SDC
153/15

master
manticore
iron skin
charmed shield
SDC, HA, lance
302/7

lvl1 shadow
scroll
105/15

17 RXB - FC
241/8

12 RXB - muso, banner
176/6

12 RXB - muso, flame banner
186/6

2x 5 Harpies
75/4 each

2x Hydra - flame breath
180/12 each

RBT
70/7

RBT
70/9

other swed penalties
2nd flyer 6
shooting 17

total
2398 and swed 13.4

and if I change the 17 RXB for 23 sword and board - FC, scare crow banner it drops the swed score to 15.1
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

How did you do with that list?
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

Jolemai wrote:How did you do with that list?

6/24
BollaertN
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by BollaertN »

OK, I've devised a 13.6

Supreme Sorceress, L4 Light, Scroll, Seed of Rebirth, Ironcurse Icon [-35]

Sorceress, L2 Beasts, Dark Steed, Ring of Hotek [-11]
Master, BSB, Dark Steed, HA, SDC, Potion Toughness, Sword of Might, Charmed Shield, Luckstone [-17]

23 Darkshards, Shields, Full Command, Flaming Banner [-10]
9 Dark Riders, Shields, RXBs, Full Command [-10]
6 Dark Riders, Shields, Musician [-6]

5 Harpies [-4]
12 Executioners, Full Command [-5]
War Hydra, Fiery Breath [-12]
War Hydra [-8]
10 Cold One Knights, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness, Warrior Bane on Champ [-17]
Reaper Bolt Thrower [-7]
Reaper Bolt Thrower [-9]

Bloodwrack Shrine [-5]

Miscellaneous - Total RXBs 48 [-8]
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Some really cool lists you guys have there. been thinking of having a level 4 shadow aling with witches, corsairs and BG. see how that turns out. try to get as many boots on the ground as possible.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

I got tournament next weeks saturday, my first one with Swe comp. It's gonna be 10-14 comp tournament, and I made a list with 13.3 list easily just by snaking around hardest restrictions with items and unit sizes, including manticore and exclusion of warlocks saved a lot of comp points. I'm pretty happy with it since it has good amount mobility and power, and I would not rate it 13 comp point list myself if you think about its synergies.

Lords: 624pts (-59)

Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus 304pts (-21)
Sword of Might, HA & SDC & Charmed Shield, The Black Amulet, The Other Trickster's Shard

Supreme Sorceress on Dark Steed 320pts (-38)
4 lvl - Metal, Ring of Hotek, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon

Heroes: 598pts (-43)

Master BSB on Dark Steed 165pts (-17)
Halberd, Armour of Destiny & SDC & Shield

Sorceress on Dark Steed 125pts (-9)
2 lvl - Beasts

Master on Manticore 308pts (-17)
Lance, HA&S&SDC, Cloak of Twilight, Iron Hard Skin

Core: 603pts (-33)

12 Dark Riders 270pts (-15)
Full Command, Shields, RCBs

5 Dark Riders 95pts (-6)
Musician, Shields

18 Witch Elves 238pts (-12)
Full Command & Banner of Eternal Flame

Special: 575pts (-32)

5 Shades 90pts (-7)
Ahws

5 Shades 90pts (-7)
Ahws

6 Cold One Knights 215 pts (-6)
Musician, Standard & Standard of Swiftness

War Hydra 180pts (-12)
Flaming Breath

TOTAL: 2400pts
Comp score: (300 - 167)/10 = 13,3

edit: Nice list Strategem, really nasty with high comp score :twisted: , you could select shadow for your SS and beasts with lvl1 and still retain reasonable comp score
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Really nice builds there Ajattaro, but from what I see your list should drop another whole step, the reason beeing you having 3 characters that counts towards the flying minus (dreadlord, BSB and manti master). Still, there is an easy sollution to the problem, where you get to keep your score - put the BSB on a cold one instead :)

EDIT: might actually need to check the wording on that one, you might still be right on this one. Thinking about this line:

Flying Characters
2nd
ying character* -6
3rd
ying character* -10
Each
ying character* after the 3rd -15
*Including Dread Lords/Masters mounted on Dark Steeds after the 1st

EDIT 2: I stand corrected, you were right Ajattaro :) Counts as 2 flyers, just as you have calculated. Pretty awesome list this one! :)
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Nope. It reads after the first Dark Steed mounted master/DL and he is the first one

But about the list, I thought about swapping lores with mages. Those beast buffs are much better when pulled off and they are harder to cast than metal spells. Also lvl2 has hard time casting buffed Spear. Beasts has some useless spells though, but ones that are useful are really awesome.

And thank you for compliment. I will see how this list performs in 3 games tournament next saturday. Played test game against nasty WoC list:
Lvl4 Slaanesh daemon prince
Festus + nurgle gw warriors
3++ DM BSB +9 trolls
3 chariots and four hounds

It was hard game sunce I could not get point from anywhere. His DP has OTS so my DL could not challenge him, and all his blocks were super tough to crack. I ended up killing everything else than blocks and characters which held most if the points. Start of gams utterly in my control, and those blocks never saw combat. I though about combo charging warriors with monsters and DL. Akas, DL and mantomaster got stuckin fight with gorechariot for three rounds. by that time DP had enough time to end cat and mouse game with my dreadlord and killed him in turn 6b... Ah well. I had to sacrifice shades and DR too in the end (it is hard to divert with only one fast cav unit!)

He ended up having more victory points than I did but his comp score was 10, so active comp turned it to 11-9 victory for me :):). Could been better win for me if master and DL would not have failed so epicly. I so hate those goddamn T6 W5 nurgle chariots. Having no bolters sucks. That is why I need amber soear and savage beast. I'm also thinking about giving DL ogre blade
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

That was a pretty brutal WoC list, but nice to see you get the win there! This is why I like swedish comp, one can have a good chance to win, even when playing a "softer" list :). I like your DL build and he has potential to get better strength from the beast buffs, but it is pretty situational. Ogre blade would give you more safe kills. DL´s are expensive both in points and comp and I belive its better to go all in on him. He really is worth his weight in gold :)
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Mikael.k wrote:That was a pretty brutal WoC list, but nice to see you get the win there! This is why I like swedish comp, one can have a good chance to win, even when playing a "softer" list :). I like your DL build and he has potential to get better strength from the beast buffs, but it is pretty situational. Ogre blade would give you more safe kills. DL´s are expensive both in points and comp and I belive its better to go all in on him. He really is worth his weight in gold :)

This is true. I have used this build before, but really need higher strenght not to be dependent from buffs all the time. And I dislike making charges where I know that I have to succeed next magic phase or my DL is in atleast a little trouble. Black amulet + OTS is nice against all killy character withoud shard though. And when you get savage beast off, it is pretty much all the same what gear you have..

Edit. So many spelling mistakes in last post.. Embarassing (phone keyboard)