End Times: Khaine

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: End Times: Khaine

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Yeah... that the Limited Edition sells out so fast.. so be it.
I just dont see the reason for the normal one to be gone so fast...
Breaks my cold druchii heart it does :'(
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Artfactial
Warrior

Post by Artfactial »

So, the conclusion of The Sundering series is bundled with this release. I really curious as to how much of the actual End Times story it includes. Is it simply a supplement to the story bundled wit the rules (meaning you need both)? Is it an enlargement of this story and a full novel on its own?
I've only read Malekith's Sundering story as I was (and am) hesitant to the other parts, presuming they focus on the High elf part of the storyline. Any thoughts on these?
I did enjoy the Malekith book, though not as atmospheric and memorable as the Darkblade series. People reccomending reading the rest to conclude with the Khaine novel?
Or shall I perhaps just skip though to the last?

Edit: spellings.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I just don't understand their thinking, they produce 500 to be sold out in a matter of minutes, why not do 2000 and give everyone the opportunity to bye it.

There was a post from MajorWesJanson on Warseer that answers this one.

Hardback books have a 3-6 month lead time. GW made an estimate on demand, and it was highly exceeded, but didn't get sales feedback until the next 3-6 months of print orders were already made. Running out of Nagash books increased demand for Glottkin, as people knew it sold out, so want book 2 faster so they get their copy. Thus book 2 sells out even faster, and so on for book 3, Khaine. People know there is a fixed supply, so are in a race to get one, and thus the limited supply sells out faster.
Softback books ordered to make up some of that demand, since they have a much shorter turnaround time. They are lesser quality, being softback, and thus lesser price. But GW couldn't go too much lower in price, or all the people who bought the hardback books would argue that the softbacks were so much cheaper, and thus tank demand for future hardbacks. Making it a $10 or $15 dollar difference between Hardback and Softback is in the realm of relative value for the binding quality. If say hardback Glottkin was $65 and softback was like $40, there would be uproar.

GW likes to sell out limited items, but only to a degree. Specific limited editions like Space Hulk selling out is good. Things like this, where major rules books that push expensive model kits, not so much. GW may want to keep a minimum of books on the shelf, but when there is so much unsatisfied demand for these books, that is a bad thing- remember, these books push a lot of new, major kits- Nagash, Glottkin, the Mortarchs and Plague Lords, Maggotlords, Morghasts, ect. If people can't buy the books with rules and justification for running those kits, why would they buy the expensive model kit then?

In short, they weren't expecting such a big response to the End Times books and they haven't been able to adjust to the demand yet.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Well not a conclusion to the Sundering series per se. This Time of legend serie contained Malekith, Shadowking, Caledor! And all quite enjoyable. Like you said not the same feel as the Darkblade novels , but a nice detailed look into Druchii and Asur history.

It's a bit weird they would call it that IMHO, but well you could as it's sort of a conclusion of that series as it is the end of (dark) elves as we know them. Where the others tell the story of the birth of druchii. But you could also call it the conclusion of the Tyrion and Teclis(blood of aenarion, cure of malekith) series as well or any other serie about elves;). Id buy them though, I quite enjoyed the sudering books.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
TheGrayMist
Trainee Warrior

Post by TheGrayMist »

@Red...

Of course, I think I just panicked, don't do anything illegal
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of the Old World...
Lord Zarox
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Zarox »

Is it me or does the black dragon that Malekith is riding in the ET khaine trailer look exactly like the dragon you get in the new(er) plastic kit with the dreadlord?
Attachments
malekith vs tyrion .jpg
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I pre ordered at my LFGS. He always delivers... but cards apparently were oonline only -.-
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Interesting information on the GW site today, New Malekith profile sounds like he gets the god level treatment. Can't wait until my book and card set arrives!
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Where do you see Malekith's profile?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

I didn't see the profile, just a hint on the Whats New page
The second book plays host to new rules for the End Times, including End Times Spells, a more destructive magic phase, three new Elven army lists, four new character profiles (wait until you see Malekith!) and seven epic scenarios enabling you to play through the battles mentioned in Book I.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Lord Melonath
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lord Melonath »

My Predictions for future of End Times starting after this point in numerical order:

1) Elves have big civil war with Malekith vs. Tyrion. Tyrion gets killed but then Teclis 'might' kill Malekith thus fulfilling the prophesy. (Teclis might be under influence of Tzeentch? Not sure)

2) With the Nurgle vanguard defeated and the Empire in ruins, Archaeon begins main invasion with his armies.

3) Gotrek and Felix adventure ends with Gotrek finding his doom against Be'lakor. He is killed but then is resurrected as the Avatar of Grimnir /lore of metal.

3) The Dwarves get invaded by Skaven/Goblin armies from the deep and begin loosing their holds until Karaz-A-Karak is final main hold still in Dwarf hands. Gotrek and Felix then arrive to save the Dwarves.

4) Skaven also launch massive invasion of Lustria to battle the Lizardmen but Lizardman sacrifice themselves some how and in the process destroy most of the Skaven.

5) Archaeon arrives and begins the slaughter. All humans, Dwarves and Elves come and have some huge epic fight some where. But then Nagash arrives and kills Archaeon and starts killing everyone else. Including 'maybe' Malekith thus also fulfilling the prophecy. Then Nagash is killed by one of the Von Carsteins or/and King Settra with help from Karl Franz and others or vice versa.

6) Finally after all the hard and long battles everyone begins to plan to rebuild their homes.....but as the 'good' armies begin to leave, a huge Greenskin/Ogre WAAAGH comes from the Dark Lands under some manipulation of Chaos Dwarves and they kill everyone and the world becomes GREEN!

*Note* The Moot is never touched and the Halflings build a mini 'pie' empire.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Cultofkhaine wrote:IM REALLY ANGRY WITH GW.

These limited edition runs Suck! How hard is it to print extra decks of cards, they cost 2c a card and make 1000% profit on them. They were sold out in Australia 5sec after they went up.

GW is just becoming a greedy company with no interest in their customers - they just want to take our poor sucker money.

Sorry for the rant but each year they get worse - I wish there was a better alternative.

Actually they (GW) are not being greedy. Just dumb. They could make so much more profit and are just tossing it to the wind. You know who is greedy? The son-o-bitches who buy the cards all up and list them on Ebay for $40 a deck. !mad!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I agree with you Gidean, there is some really great stuff here that you just cant get your hands on - it's a shame because the amount of work that must go into producing these books, GW are losing out big time and they just alienate their customers. Most frustrating.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I agree with you Gidean, there is some really great stuff here that you just cant get your hands on - it's a shame because the amount of work that must go into producing these books, GW are losing out big time and they just alienate their customers. Most frustrating.

Yes a very poor business model. But Tom Kirby (if he is still in charge) has never been an astute businessman. GW cannot blame all their flagging sales on the Card games.
Silvershadow
Warrior

Post by Silvershadow »

Artfact wrote:So, the conclusion of The Sundering series is bundled with this release. I really curious as to how much of the actual End Times story it includes. Is it simply a supplement to the story bundled wit the rules (meaning you need both)? Is it an enlargement of this story and a full novel on its own?
I've only read Malekith's Sundering story as I was (and am) hesitant to the other parts, presuming they focus on the High elf part of the storyline. Any thoughts on these?
I did enjoy the Malekith book, though not as atmospheric and memorable as the Darkblade series. People reccomending reading the rest to conclude with the Khaine novel?
Or shall I perhaps just skip though to the last?

Shadow King and Caledor are good reads, but if your interest is purely Druchii then I'd say you can skip them - they do have Druchii action in them (and plenty of it) obviously but are not centered around them. The new book is a novelization of the events in End Times: Khaine, whereas the lore part of ET:K is more akin to a history book (much like how the lore in the army books is written). In essence, both should tell the same story but the novel will probably do so with more emphasis on character interaction and the details that come with that.

I definitely want to read the new novel but not at $30 - I might wait for a more reasonably priced version (if one ever comes). In the meantime I will read the ET:K book :)
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

Lol...check out khaine ltd version @ebay

800$ US....
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Melle wrote:Lol...check out khaine ltd version @ebay

800$ US....

Wow...you can have mine for half that ;)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

dont be suprised if it still sells :P crazy ppl like that all over the world
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I just couldn't bring myself to buy two. I considered it, in case someone here wanted it at cost plus postage, not to make a ridiculous profit. Then thought if I do that someone else will go without.

So I will just blame GW for not doing their market research, and hope they release a softback for people soon.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

i wonder what the real driver is behind the end times... reducing the number of armies so they can better maintain the ones they do have? much smaller consumer base than 40k so i gather. i don't like the 50% lords thing, in fact i hate it, and combined elves... well, let's see but i doubt i'm doubtful i'll like it. i'm in favour of moving the storyline onwards and a big intro to 9th edition, but i'm highly apprehensive about what's happening behind the scenes at gw hq!
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

I have the book now and am really looking forward to reading it. Malekith is insane! He will on average kill Karl Franz in one round of combat!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

New rumours;

SPOILERS!!!

HIGHLIGHT FROM HERE

Malekith has 2 profiles, 1 for him being Phoenix King, the other for him being the Eternity King. One is 1000 points, the other 800. Some pretty sick rules here: Loremaster Shadow, L5 Wizard, immune to multiple wounds, 10 attacks doing d3+1 wound, innate ability which is basically Walk Between Worlds boosted (once every turn and it's not a spell => no dispel or anything like that can be made), all units within X inches have martial prowess increased to yet another rank and murderous prowess troops can re-roll any failed to wound rolls.

Widowmaker on Tyrion: Auto-wounds, no armour saves, D6 wounds. Cannot be destroyed.

Imrik has a combined profile with the Star Lance, he clocks in at 800 ish points with 10 S7 attacks.

Tyrion, avatar of khaine (700 points).

Statline roughly as it is now. Frenzy, units with Murderous Prowess within 12" with re-rolling all failed (not just 1s), immune to psychology, bound spell summoning undead ("summon the glorious dead", basically skellywarriors).

He still has Dragon Armour and Heart of Avelorn and he rides Malhandir. Widowmaker autowounds, no armour saves, D6 wounds. Cannot be destroyed.

Host of the Eternity King (= Malekith), which is assumed to be the "survivors", has access to all units inn all 3 elven books

All units with Murderous Prowess in the Host of the Eternity King also gain Martial Prowess and vice versa.

Tyrion, Teclis and Morathi all die
- Malekith survives the entire thing and becomes the "Eternity King". I suppose this means he leads all Elves.
- Imrik apparantly survives

TO HERE.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Dark reaper wrote:I have the book now and am really looking forward to reading it. Malekith is insane! He will on average kill Karl Franz in one round of combat!

Excellent, hope mine arrives soon then :)

Are you able to give clarity on the new magic changes?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I saw a rumour on another forum (sorry cant remember which one) that said GW will be releasing all the EOT books in a softcover as well after the main release. Hopeful thinking for all those who missed out.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I saw a rumour on another forum (sorry cant remember which one) that said GW will be releasing all the EOT books in a softcover as well after the main release. Hopeful thinking for all those who missed out.

First two books are on the UK website in Softcover, so looks to be confirmed that they are re-releasing after their huge under estimate on demand.