A thought on heavy cavalry...

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Loppamannen
Corsair

A thought on heavy cavalry...

Post by Loppamannen »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone have any experience regarding the use of the "new" fenrisian wolves or thunderwolf cavalry for a heavy cav swap for dark elves? I have some custom units already in place, and are currently owner of the last edition of our cav, but not painted. I have done one or two of them but must say I dont like the models that much. I've seen some of you have done some swapping to wolves, but mostly for dark riders. I'm not 100% sure this is a good idea. But I like the fenris models from 40K, and I would like to have a unit that stands out and is different from what everyone else got, even though I just play in our local group and don't attend any tournaments.
I'm a bit uncertain if the riders of the newer CoK can actually fit these wolves at all. Anyone tried it out? I can see that with a little greenstuff you can get the legs from glade riders to fit these, but since this is heavy cav I need other models to ride these wolves.
Please let me know if you have any guides for me before I go ahead an order any models. :)
Diobarach
Black Guard

Re: A thought on heavy cavalry...

Post by Diobarach »

I'm using the fenrisian wolves for my dark riders mounts, I couldn't take those ugly ass horse models anymore.

I slapped a cold one knight onto one the wolves (fits ok)
pics

Honestly, the wolves are pretty dynamic models and cold one riders are basically stiffs, I think the combination looks too jarring but maybe you can make it work. You'll probably have a hard time getting some of the riders onto some of the wolves.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Thx for the reply and pictures. That will help a lot when time comes!
But you or anyone else havnet tried out thouse heavy wolves? I didnt look at the sprues on them to see if the tiders are connected to the modell or not. I just see that they have a less dynamic pose than the smaller once.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I wonder if it would be possible to kitbash the riders, maybe using legs from the new WE wild rider kit? That might make them slightly more dynamic.
Anyway, the wolves are really awesome models. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Rowena wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to kitbash the riders, maybe using legs from the new WE wild rider kit? That might make them slightly more dynamic.
Anyway, the wolves are really awesome models. :)

That sounds like something I could try. They dont look that static, but there are issues regarding the look of the armor. But I will see what I can do with it. I go ahead and order 5 wolves to start with.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Check out Cynaath Chill's blog;

His Fenrisian wolfriders are excellent. Made with Dark Eldar scourge parts for dynamic riders :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Those are truly epic, but if they!re supposed to stand in for cold one knights, as I understood, the riders probably need to be more armoured. :( I'll look into possible kitbashing ideas and let you know if I get any brilliant idea. not that it's likely. :D
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

^^As you have already mentioned Wild Rider parts also look like a good fit for legs.

For armoured torsos there are Cold One Knights, Corsairs, Dark Elf Warriors, Dark Eldar Kabalites amongst others...
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Those legs fit nicely on our horses and should fit wolves too.
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Those dark riders are very cool.

When I decided to switch away from those god-forsaken rabbit-horses, I looked at some of the thunderwolf cavalry, they would probably be better for cold one riders. The problem is they have 'bionic' legs and eyes and stuff. Could be a tough sell for a fantasy setting, so I would think you would probably need to green stuff over it, or perhaps try the old fleetmaster sword-for-a-leg gambit.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Thanks for all the feedbacks.
Yes I was going for a CoK swap here, thats why I thought the cav wolves would be better. How is the size comparisons of the two? I might look into 40K for thouse legs as well. But I was aiming to try the wild riders since the cost of bits isnt that high. If I fail, I could always try something else since I already got the wolves.
Trilobite
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trilobite »

How would the fit be with the older Dark Riders, you think?
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

I mounted the wild rider legs onto fenrisian wolves with no modifications whatsoever. The wolves and the stags have almost the same poses (jumping up and coming down) and are the same width as well so you can swap them straight across very easily. I haven't tried putting the cold one knight torso onto the wild rider legs but I imagine they would go together without much difficulty and give you the more dynamic pose that is required when using the wolves.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Trilobite wrote:How would the fit be with the older Dark Riders, you think?

Im not going to use them as DR, but as CoK. I belive the older DR models is too tight to fit...

But since Im going for the cavalery not the fentisian wolves I still hope they work. I have been looking at some of the Dark Eldar units and theyre legs to see if I can have any there that could fit. I think its possible with a lot of cutting and greenstuffing. But not concluded if thats the way I want to go or to use the wild riders. Have anyone tried them on the cav wolves?

I was thinking on doing some armor plating as well. But need to look in my bits bag to see if I can find anything that could work.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Fenrisian Wolves are about the same size as the current cold ones. Okay, a bit shorter, but that's what happens when you compare a biped to a quadruped. Thunderwolves are HUGE in comparison, a bit bigger and significantly bulkier than Empire Demigryphs.
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

With some creative basing you should be able to fit them onto cavalry bases, I've seen it done with wild riders. Personally I like the Fenrisian Wolves better but the thunder wolves are definitely more intimidating.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Hillbilly Carl wrote:thunder wolves are definitely more intimidating.

Thats my aim! I have three of them arriving in the mail shortly, so I will see if I'm able to fit them.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Hi again..

I have gotten som of the models now, and have started the asembly. I see that as some of you posted that these are huge wolves. The one on the picture is I guess the one that will take up more of the base plates length and needs to be put in front. I only have issue with one more mini as to essambly it on the base, but I will work something out.
The idea of using the legs from wild rides was a good idea. They fit perfectly. Im just waiting for the torso from the CoK set to finish the riders as well.

Here is a sample (WIP)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Definitely some big wolves there. Looking forward to seeing the finished conversion.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Looks great, I'm glad the legs work out. Looking forward to the finished conversion. :)
My painting blog

Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

It looks pretty good, definitely interested in seeing the completed model. I don't notice much bionics on that wolf and it does seem much bigger than I remember, are these from the the Thunderwolf cavalry models?
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

r530 wrote:I don't notice much bionics on that wolf and it does seem much bigger than I remember, are these from the the Thunderwolf cavalry models?

Yes that is correct. I've scraped off some of the bionics and also used greenstuff on some parts as well. There are only one of the wolves heads that has a bionic head (eye) that will cause some problems. But I will solve that with ebay (just buy some more heads). Same goes for the legs, as I dont use the bioics.

The only issue I must handle now is to get the amount I need (around 10) and fit them all in one unit. So the plan is to get avery model glued and then see how to match them on the base. I will also look at how the lances are to be placed. The plan was not to have everyone pointed forward or upwards, but have a mix. Since these wolves have a dynamic pose I hope tp be able to give the same feelling for the rides as well. But we will see how that goes.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I can sort of see those wolves being used as Dark Riders - lightly armored and obviously fast! But they don't really strike me as looking slow, Stupid, or armored. From a modeling perspective it might be interesting but game-play wise, they look too much like fast-cav to me.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Phierlihy wrote:I can sort of see those wolves being used as Dark Riders - lightly armored and obviously fast! But they don't really strike me as looking slow, Stupid, or armored. From a modeling perspective it might be interesting but game-play wise, they look too much like fast-cav to me.

My point is that the fenris wolves shown at an earlier post strike me as even faster :) But I know what you say. Specially since some pepole might not know about 40k. But since I only play again local players and never in a tourney, its no big issue.
I did think of a type of armor to put on them, but didn't find a good way of making it look good. I tried a armored head (didnt work) and also tried a "upper body" armor (didnt work). Thats why they will stay as they are. The "heavy" part will come from the riders I guess. And its stupid to try make wolves stupid, isn't it? ;)
Loppamannen
Corsair

Re: A thought on heavy cavalry (Update 12 jan 2015)...

Post by Loppamannen »

So.. The new year has arrived. And I actually managed to do something the holiday.

I finished my forrest, which I was quite pleased with: