DRUCHII.NET SECRET SANTA

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kreol
Brush Master

Re: DRUCHII.NET SECRET SANTA

Post by Kreol »

I sent model at Monday. But my present don't need to fly so far :D
So GooD To Be EviL!!
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I present to you my Secret Santicore:

(Yes, I'm a sucker for cheesy puns)

I will put the pics I took of him primed white directly on here. Behold:

I also took pics before I mailed him off showing him complete. I felt OK doing that, because his color scheme was pretty generic, and not really particular to the recipient's army. So it's not really giving anything away.

However, it's also not really my job to post the final model, but the person to whom it is going. As a result, I'm not going to post them here, but they will be in the same photobucket folder, if any wish to go there and view it. When this is all over, I'll also post pics of him on my Plog, which can be seen by following the link in my signature.

As I said in previous posts, I'm not terribly happy with the way the tail turned out, but ran out of time to do anything about it, and I'm not really sure what I would have done if I had been blessed with more time, anyway. It's not terrible, but it's not the way I pictured it in my mind when I started, either.

If my recipient (who is a much better painter than I) wishes to repaint the mini in whole or in part, I would understand. But I did the best I could. I included a plain, white primed base, so that the recipient can customize that to match his own forces.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Going to be one lucky recipient there direweasel.

Really looking forward to seeing all the received models.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Well if people are right about the combined profiles for monsters in the new rules, manticores will at least be well worth fielding. And there aren't any in GW's current lineup, so at least it will be useful in those respects, even if the paint job is not up to the standards of the rest of their army.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Eeep!

I'm a little bit more excited for this than I probably should be.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

You aren't the only one. I'm holding out for people to start posting pictures of the models that they have received.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

OK I have received my figure....and a fair amount of chocolate as well! What could be better than Warhammer figures AND treats?

I will post some photos shortly. In brief, my SS has made use of one of my favorite dark elves, the "come hither" Chris Fitz witch elf. It both looks great and it's cool because 5 years ago when I participated in a similar exchange on D.net, my secret painter made me a very similar figure on a dark steed.....so now I have her riding and on foot....which as it now looks like we can have heroes and lords stacked 12 high in every army....will be very handy.

Thanks (yet to be revealed)!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

OK, here is my excellent SS figure:

ImageImage

The artist has done a nice job reproducing the grey skin tone that my DE have as well as the purple that they tend to favor...and snuck a skull in there as well :D

I like the figure a lot because I'm a big fan of minimalist conversions that make use of the excellent original and add something unique that could pass for a stock figure if an observer wasn't familiar with the range. (which the next batch of youngsters coming up might not before too long :D )
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That is a really great effort to match into your army.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

That's a lovely model, congratulations. You had an amazing Secret Santa, especially going all the way to match what you have. Are you going to reveal this great person, or is it somehow against the rules? :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

I got my model in the mail today, it was absolutely amazingly fantabulous. I love it to bits.

Pics will come once I get a new USB-cable for my camera...

You know who you are. A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about checking my mail every day. Still haven't gotten it yet, but I'm certain it will come soon. Should be great, and I promise to post pics when that happens. :)

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

I am checking the post box too, LOL
Makes Xmas most interesting, the family has given up on giving me warhammer gifts so this will be my only model :shock:
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Awesome! It's great to see more models arriving. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Your SS did a great job LoF, the mini should blend nicely into the rest of your army. The skull on the base was a nice touch as well.

Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

I was keeping my cool about this, but then yesterday had my postman leave me a "tried to deliver you a parcel and it won't fit through the letterbox" note. It could be a model I bought myself, but suddenly I'm all excited about the possibility that it's from my SS! Exciting times indeed!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

My SS item has arrived, and it is not one but two witch elves. I don't think it's possible to have too many witch elves, and the job on these was outstanding. They will definitely be in the front row every time I field my horde (which is most of the games I play, honestly...) :)

And, as if it wasn't enough to get not one but TWO painted minis, I also received a very cool GW Christmas card. I didn't even know they made such a thing! Now I feel bad for not including a card in my package, it's a very nice personal touch, so thank you.

I will post pics straight away, and attach them to this post. Many thanks to my Secret Santa, Payce. I'm pretty sure this is the first mail of any sort that I have ever received from Norway, my kids thought that was really cool as well. They saved the package and stamps! :)

Last edited by direweasel on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Lion of flanders wrote:ImageImage

That's a doozy. A tall order to match up to the collection it was landing in :shock:

Nice work, whoever did it! :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

These look great! It's good to see some great models arriving - I'm jealous of the recipients :(
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Rowena wrote:Are you going to reveal this great person, or is it somehow against the rules? :)

I was wondering about this too. On one hand it would be nice to have names but on the other hand it wou;dn't hurt to wait a bit just so people cannot guess who their SS may be.

Heartsbane wrote: yesterday had my postman leave me a "tried to deliver you a parcel and it won't fit through the letterbox" note.

I just had this today! Someone has been home 24-7 for the last few weeks and today I went out for half an hour. Guess when the post decided to be delivered... haha now I have to wait until Monday :(
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I have a new Coldone! It is a BSB on a Coldone, which is super handy because my current BSB on a Coldone is actually on a dark steed. Not any more though :)

On Saturday I went out and when I got home I found a courier card. A whole weekend I had to wait! All the waiting is over now though.

This guys colours will fit right in amongst my red, bronze and bone scheme and will most deffinitly make an appearance. I'm very happy with my model all the way from Germany, thank you to my SS Helle. I have quite enjoyed taking part in this event and the outcome. I look forward to taking part again next year.
Last edited by Holt on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Yes I think name your SS they did a great job on the BSB!
Once you have your model it is good to acknowledge it and the creator.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Good enough answer for me there CitizenKhaine, I have edited my post to reflect this.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Yesterday morning a very pleasing parcel arrived for me. I am now the proud owner of a manticore! :D I presume I have direweasel to thank, so thank-you for completing my options for character steeds! I've not test fitted it yet, but it looks like my magnetised dreadlord will fit on the new beast perfectly!

Cheers,

HB
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Heartsbane wrote:Yesterday morning a very pleasing parcel arrived for me. I am now the proud owner of a manticore! :D I presume I have direweasel to thank, so thank-you for completing my options for character steeds! I've not test fitted it yet, but it looks like my magnetised dreadlord will fit on the new beast perfectly!

Cheers,

HB

Yes, I realized afterwards that I should have included a card or some kind of note. It was indeed from me. Hope you like it. Your collection was very intimidating to try to match - you're an excellent painter, so I definitely felt pushed to do my best work. I hope you can get a good rider for him, and get him based up sufficiently :)