Alternative warlock models

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ajattaro
Executioner

Alternative warlock models

Post by Ajattaro »

I quite dislike the warlock models, and would not like to buy them. But since they are unigue models, mounted warlocks, I find hard to find any other models for them without buying lots of character models..

I really don't have much qualification for the models, as I will do some conversions. Male/female slaanesh looking or not, preferably not. I have been thinking about ringwraiths from Lotr range, since they look nice, sinister fighting mages witg big swords. They are just smaller scale... I dont know if you can convert them onto 28mm horses
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Alternative warlock models

Post by direweasel »

The base size is the same, so while they are slightly smaller, they're still legal, and will look fine. I have a mounted ringwraith I use as a Dark Rider Champion, and he works fine.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Love the idea of using Ringwraiths - they'd give a far more sinister "sorcerer" feel.

If you did look at using all characters, and wanted to keep cost down, I'd recommend eBay and old, haphazardly painted metal miniatures which you can strip back to plain metal. They're fantastically cheap in some cases. Some of the OOP carrion riders or similar may help!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I'm pretty scale-sensitive so wouldn't use LOTR miniatures myself.

Why not just convert some up from glade guard, sisters of the thorn, dark elf parts, etc?
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Yeah, introduction of sisters of thorn opened some conversion possibilities, with about the same price I would get from 5 used ringwraiths, IF I happen to find one. Then I should find suitable mounts for them.

I actually got one old HE mounted mage... Getting four others from here and there sure is hassle, and converting metal models is tricky
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

In terms of mounts, you'll find a few of us using Fenrissian wolves, with either the standard Warlocks, or Sisters. Rowena has some superbly converted ones using Glade Rider horses; much more photogenic horses than the standard Warlock steeds.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Yes, I actually have converted my DR from glade riders and old plastic warriors bits. Thanks for advice. Sure is easier than finding second hand ring wraiths. Seems that I cant get these guys cheap
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Cheap?! Wow, are you in the wrong hobby!
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Baalin the Alright
Slave on the Altar

Post by Baalin the Alright »

direweasel wrote:Cheap?! Wow, are you in the wrong hobby!

+1
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Baalin the Alright wrote:
direweasel wrote:Cheap?! Wow, are you in the wrong hobby!

+1

Haha yeah this hobby is hard on wallet, but I am good at finding and bargaining deals in finnish regional forum :D. Most of my druchii are now second hand, with couple plastic boxes bought for converting... I havent spent not at all that much I spent on empire or skaven when i was younger... :P

Actually WH isnt so expensive if you build your force in small pieces and have the same project for a long time. My music hobby has been more expensive. I didnt break sweat paying 500€ for used fender telecaster. Still I love it everytime I get minis in discount. Im not going to get good looking core plastics though..
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

Just starting conversions with Dark Elves and found an excellent kit to use on Warlocks. After assembling my Dark Riders, there are 5 Warlock heads, arms and upper torsos with no where to go until I came across the LotR Hobbit Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs kit. Without the extra arm needed to build Warlocks after assembling the Dark Riders (arm included in the LotR kits holding onto the mount), this kit works well as everything is included and I just added the heads and weapon arms from the Dark Rider kit and perfect match. Putting this conversion (minor conversion as well) beside the Dark Riders not only is it comparable in size but, looks awesome.