An Adventure into Naggaroth (PLOG)* 13/1 Update

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

An Adventure into Naggaroth (PLOG)* 13/1 Update

Post by daveyc26 »

After a very long time away from the hobby (2+ years now :shock: ) I've decided to jump back in with the mighty Dark Elves. In the past I've been a staunch Ogre and Empire player but I was looking for a fresh and exciting army to get back into the game with and what better choice than Khaines chosen!

As I'm getting back into the hobby I thought it would be a good idea to go slowly with my new army so that I don't overwhelm myself with shelves of unpainted Elves. Therefore I will only buy new models once I have completely finished painting what I have brought previously! With Christmas imminent this might be tough!! My painting skills are also a bit rusty and sometimes my painting motivation can wane so what better idea than to join this great community and document my progress!

Anyway on with the show!

My first lot of models:

I really loved the sculpts on these models, for a basic core troop the detail is outstanding and the best bit is there wasn't a whole lot of cleaning up that needed to be done! I decided to build these ten as Darkshards with a musician and a champion. I envisage my completed force having lots of Darkshards so what better place to start.

Now the big one, my first (semi completed) model in 2 years! I've gone down the traditional route for the scheme but I am certainly considering trying something else on a different model. Here it is, at tabletop standard:

Please excuse the average iPhone pictures they're the best I can do at the moment!

I am very interested in any feedback you guys might have on the paint job and anything I could improve! I'm very excited at the prospect of slowy building up a Dark Elf army and I'm looking forward to documenting my progress for you all!

Jump in with any comments or tips! :D
Last edited by daveyc26 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: An Adventure into Naggaroth (PLOG)

Post by direweasel »

As you said, the color palette is pretty traditional, but there's no issue with that. It's traditional Dark Elf color pattern for a REASON - it looks sufficiently evil and, well, dark.

Your shadows and highlights on the back could use a little more blending - maybe a thin glaze of the midtone paint over the whole back purple area will help bring it together better. Otherwise I have no complaints with your technique. I hope that helps.

Very wise of you to make him a darkshard, too. General consensus is that of the 3 options from that box, shards are the way to go.

Edit: Also, I have to commend your idea to finish what you've bought before buying more. My wallet would have definitely preferred if I had gone that route, certainly. I have more unpainted dark elves than most sane people have completed armies! Many have been that way for 10+ years. Unwise to say the least.

But at the same time, I will never lack for something to paint. =P
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Really like the colours - I'm going a similar route too, and they are traditional. Even so, there are choices to make in what gets painted what... The blue hem on the front is a lovely detail. Just enough to mix it up and lift it.

I also commend the iterative buy, paint, buy, paint approach!

Welcome back!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the evolution of the painting.
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Post by daveyc26 »

Thanks for all your input guys, it's much appreciated and I have taken some of the advice on board.

Have managed to get a bit of painting done over the festive period which has been nice! I even went to my FLGS and was able to resist buying more models! A great achievement for me and has given me the motivation to complete my first model. Here it is:

I'm pretty happy with my first painted model in 2 years, its not my best but its a start. I've gone for a desolate/dead feel on the bases, its mainly Steel Legion Drab heavily washed with a highlight to help it stand out. Also just a sprinkle of dead grass to help in stand out a bit more.

Also managed to get the base colours on these guys to put me up to 5

Again any C&C welcome! Particularly on how people go about painting the faces on these guys, I'm finding it quite tricky to get the right effect

Hope you've enjoyed :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

For a first model in a couple of years, that is a fine start.
For faces in helmets myself I usually only worry about a base coat, ink coat and a tidy up. A little more care can be taken on the front rank.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Amboadine wrote:For a first model in a couple of years, that is a fine start.
For faces in helmets myself I usually only worry about a base coat, ink coat and a tidy up. A little more care can be taken on the front rank.

Agreed. I usually put focus on the front rank, the outer side ranks, and the back of the rear rank and just high light from waist/chest up on the inner models to speed things. As a whole the unit will look presentable.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Super update - really like the bleak feel of the base, still echoing the RXB for consistency. Great to see the momentum build and here your willpower resisted a major test!

Re: front rank and sides - that's great advice from the chaps. I hadn't thought of it that way.
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Post by daveyc26 »

Great tips, thanks guys!

I got a real kick on and managed to finish these 4! I'm particularly happy with the champions head, managed to keep quite a steady brush and get some nice highlights on there. Here they are:

Only 5 more to go and I'll be able to buy some models! Really getting the painting itch back now as well which makes me very happy! Would love to play a game with these guys as well, more motivation :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking very nice.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Looking ace! Do you mind my asking what set of blues you are using for that hem? I'm currently debating how high to push highlights and was wondering what shade you were taking these up to - I really love your blue and the way it works with the purple... And, well, was kinda thinking of stealing it...
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Post by daveyc26 »

flatworldsedge wrote:Looking ace! Do you mind my asking what set of blues you are using for that hem? I'm currently debating how high to push highlights and was wondering what shade you were taking these up to - I really love your blue and the way it works with the purple... And, well, was kinda thinking of stealing it...

Sure no worries, I'm glad you like it!

My method is

Basecoat of Shadow Grey (not sure what this is called now)

50-50 mix of Ushabti Bone and Shadow Grey on the raised edges, corners and outer edges

For character models I add another highlight of 80-20 mix or Ice blue onto the very sharpest edges to help make them pop. be careful with these highlights though, they have to be very small
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Thanks - definitely looking at that, and not the tones I'd have guessed going into it. Happy New Year, and thanks again for sharing.
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Re: An Adventure into Naggaroth (PLOG)* Now with added poll

Post by daveyc26 »

Well I've finally completed my final five Darkshards, fairly happy with how they look as a unit. Here's the pics:

Now people of Druchii.net I want your input! I'll be off to my FLGS in the next few days and I'm at a loss as to what to purchase next! Cast a vote in the poll and post up any thoughts or ideas you had behind your vote!

Remember though I can only buy one unit box or character :)
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Nice job on the darkshards, I particularly like the blue trim on the bottom of their chainmail, does a nice job of breaking things up a bit. Think I might steal that for my blackguard.

On the subject of blackguard, I'm giving them some much needed love in the poll. The models are so nice, one of the few models that I've actually enjoyed assembling. Very fun to paint too.

Keep it up!
"When it comes to besting the enemy, there's no such thing as 'overkill.'" - Good ol' Master Bronk

Also here's a PLOG: http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76272
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Buy a Dark Rider box and some magnets, so you can switch out the riders' torsos for Warlocks.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Great job on your crossbowmen, and I love the way you are doing this, I feel overwhelmed with miniatures! and if I ever get through them, will definitely try to adhere to a similar policy.

In terms of your next unit, you can't go wrong with warlocks/DRs, but I voted for other. I think you should convert a Pegasus Master / Dread Lord. Almost every list you'll field will have a Pegasus riding character and Dark Riders / Warlocks. I would vote for getting the harder project done now, and have an awesome general to lead your Druchii!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Dark Riders are an awesome choice for the next unit. I chose character model, though, as I think it helps shape your fluff and thinking about who the band are! Always nice to have a focal point early - on the table, and in the fluff.
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Post by daveyc26 »

flatworldsedge wrote:Dark Riders are an awesome choice for the next unit. I chose character model, though, as I think it helps shape your fluff and thinking about who the band are! Always nice to have a focal point early - on the table, and in the fluff.

MangoPunch wrote:Great job on your crossbowmen, and I love the way you are doing this, I feel overwhelmed with miniatures! and if I ever get through them, will definitely try to adhere to a similar policy.

In terms of your next unit, you can't go wrong with warlocks/DRs, but I voted for other. I think you should convert a Pegasus Master / Dread Lord. Almost every list you'll field will have a Pegasus riding character and Dark Riders / Warlocks. I would vote for getting the harder project done now, and have an awesome general to lead your Druchii!

I do like these suggestions of getting my general created and finished early, there is just one problem! My local FLGS doesn't have the models I require to convert, so I shall trawl through Ebay when I get the chance! My idea involves, the plastic supreme sorceress, doom fire warlock bits and a Bretonnian peg captain...Stay tuned!

Wrathbaby wrote:Nice job on the darkshards, I particularly like the blue trim on the bottom of their chainmail, does a nice job of breaking things up a bit. Think I might steal that for my blackguard.

Glad you like it, I feel it just gives the model enough contrast. Feel free to copy!

Thanks for all the votes and comments thus far guys! Based on the poll and what people have commented my next addition is......

Stay tuned for progress on these guys. I'll be looking to jazz up the basing a little more with some ideas I've had which excites me! Really starting to get back into the hobby flow.
daveyc26
Slave on the Altar

Re: An Adventure into Naggaroth (PLOG)* 13/1 Update

Post by daveyc26 »

Managed to find some time and finish my test model, let me know what you guys think! Black horses are a real pain to paint!

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Looking good! I've only painted up one unit of Dark Riders and I have to agree that all that black was a pain to work with and make look natural. I can't wait to see the whole unit!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking very nice.