Hydra or Kharibdyss, that is the question?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Hydra or Kharibdyss, that is the question?

Post by Ryank »

Recently got 2 Hydra/Kharibdyss kits and was just wondering how I should build them? 1 of each, 2 Hydra or 2 Kharibdyss or build them both each with mixing the heads of the kits into models that have both head options on the model?

Thanks all.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Hydra or Kharibdyss, that is the question?

Post by T.D. »

If you can be bothered, two magnetised monsters for the ability to run two of each :)

Otherwise, one of each should be sufficient.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

T.D. wrote:If you can be bothered, two magnetised monsters for the ability to run two of each :)

Otherwise, one of each should be sufficient.

Is one "better" then the other? I understand that's a pretty biased question and with the Hydra being a Special and the Kharibdyss being a Rare, hard to say either or as both play different roles in an army list but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the reply.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Opinions vary, but I consider them to be significantly different as to fill different roles in the list.

Hydra -- due to regeneration and flame template this is an "anti-personnel" monster. Eats opposing S3 hordes, but keep it away from other monsters, characters and GW/Halberd infantry.

K-Beast -- due to S7, high WS and Ld-reroll this is an "anti-monster" monster. Use it for taking on enemy monsters and armour, including cavalry. Excels in the combocharge due to Ld reroll. No regen so more easy to kill than Hydra.

So, ideally you want one of each. But such is their usefulness there are times you may want to run 2x of each :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

T.D. wrote:Opinions vary, but I consider them to be significantly different as to fill different roles in the list.

Hydra -- due to regeneration and flame template this is an "anti-personnel" monster. Eats opposing S3 hordes, but keep it away from other monsters, characters and GW/Halberd infantry.

K-Beast -- due to S7, high WS and Ld-reroll this is an "anti-monster" monster. Use it for taking on enemy monsters and armour, including cavalry. Excels in the combocharge due to Ld reroll. No regen so more easy to kill than Hydra.

So, ideally you want one of each. But such is their usefulness there are times you may want to run 2x of each :)

Think I'll go with the 1 of each idea after reading your little breakdown of each type and their role.

Thanks
Siby
Warrior

Post by Siby »

My kharibdyss recently took down a steg engine of the gods which was a pleasant surprise as that thing usually wrecks my dark elves.

I find the hydra gets bogged down more easily these days but that's understandable. Good news is that it is ok withthat as it just pops those wounds back on. I like to put it into combat beside my other troops as support rather than steamroller it used to be.
lil' fisty
Warrior

Post by lil' fisty »

I say that as a pair the Hydra's are better especially if you can trick your opponent to split the heavy fire that will no doubt land on them. I sometimes run 2 separate groups of a hydra and a chariot combo supporting something else. It packs a fearsome punch when they hit.
Vallers
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vallers »

I've recently fielded the Kharibdyss 3 x.

1st time it ran from the fight v Chaos Demon Prince - no shame there.
2nd time it died without getting involved
3rd time it got stuck into a huge chaos warriors block alongside what was left of my Executioners block with my BSB (Hell cannons are evil !!) and after dealing plenty of attacks and wounds alongside the Executioners, we won the combat round and they failed their leadership and due to the a/howl they couldn't re-roll this and we chased them down. This unit was 5-6 deep and about 7-8 wide and yet two ranks of Executions a BSB and my Kharibdyss smashed them.

Why did I persist with it after two average performances ? Mainly as I took so much shooting and magic that my other units survived longer. When the kharibdyss eventually got into combat it was very handy, and the howl was a game winner !!

In larger armies (this was 2k) I'd field a Hydra too. No one wants to get into combat with either so they'll absorb magic and shooting to preserve your blocks

Hope that helps
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

as I read it..

The Abssyal howl doesn't work if the unit has one of the following special rules: fear, terror and immune to psychology?

Which does seem to affect a good portion of enemy models in some armies.

EDIT:

I am going to use my K-beast x1 in a 3000pts list in our ECL league, and I am very much looking forward to how it will preform.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer