Dark Riders

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Dark Riders

Post by Ryank »

Seems that my first day on the forum I'm asking too many questions but as stated before, assembling my models and want to make sure I get the best out of everyone I build.

If running a 5 man unit of Dark Riders, do you always not take standard bearer, crossbows and shields? Seems by looking at most lists on the forums, shields and maybe musician are taken and not standard bearer.

Wouldn't it be wise to take standard bearer with Dark Riders as most lists have 4 RBT (no standard), Hydra/Kharibdyss (no standard), Shades (no standard), Warlocks (no standard)?

Thanks again
marcopollo
Assassin

Re: Dark Riders

Post by marcopollo »

Standard are a personal choice. I follow your logic and prioritize standards on DR units quite highly. When I use my avoidance list, I use my full core allotment with DR units. At 2.5K I roll this out:

1) 2 x 10 DR with shield and crossbow, musician and standard. Buffed at the right time can take out chariots and some lone monsters and some cavalry. Especially if you get them into the flank. With full numbers (which is rare against some armies) they can get a charge, flank, standard, and one rank (+4 to CR res if you are counting). This gives you a significant missile threat that can cause panic in most fast cav and can pick off last wounds on bolt thowers, hellblasters etc. I will be changing to the wooed elf version that ambushes and throws poisoned javelins when I combine with the other elven factions.

2) 2 x 5 DR with shield and musician (no xbs). This keeps two "cheap" units for the early deployment phase that can double flee and get into enemy warmachines or suicide charge characters (mages, bsb). Run them in a rank of 3 and then two for a small frontage effect opening up shooting lanes, or wide frontage when screens are needed to take the early bullets to open up your main wave attack.

Both can provide decent "bunkers" for mobile mages. They are not bad for protecting Morathi or other pegmaster/peg lord characters, like a dread lord with Giant blade, OTS, and dawnstone (typically vulnerable without a wardsave, but relatively safe from ballistic skill shooting).

If I have points, I will give the two 5 man units a standard. They are cheap relative to the other models in the unit and add to fortitude.

They synergize well with warlocks. Sometimes I use the DR as a meat screen for the delivery of my warlocks.

They are a decent investment under the current meta in my area.
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

marcopollo wrote: I will be changing to the wooed elf version that ambushes and throws poisoned javelins when I combine with the other elven factions.

What might this unit be?
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

i can't remember the name off hand. I think they are glade riders. Had them used against me once and they were devastating. Much better than DR.
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Glade riders only get a 6+ armour, DR are much better off with 4+. Plus more shots.

I've used DR in all my lists and love them. I always kit them out with musician, standard, RxB and shield, but it's worth it. You can use them as chaff hunters, redirectors, war machine hunters and throw them in to get a flank on a crucial combat too. Too good not to take. I think the only reason I haven't used them as a bus for characters is because I prefer Warlocks
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

marcopollo wrote: I will be changing to the wooed elf version that ambushes and throws poisoned javelins when I combine with the other elven factions.

Poisoned Javelins would be the Sisters of the Thorn.

...and they are good because they are 26 ppm, special choices and Warlock equivalents :)

(Ambushing cavalry would be Glade Riders, with choices of magic arrows including poison. Glade Riders actually have good synergy with Dark Riders, and I wouldnt consider them like-for-like due to the Ambush and armour save differences.)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

About ambush, I 've read that good players don't like it because it is not reliable.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:About ambush, I 've read that good players don't like it because it is not reliable.

That's why I would favour Dark Riders over Glade Riders.

But to have both ...priceless :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

in my first (and sadly most likely last) Elf Legion fight. I used 2 Dark Rider units and 1 Glade Rider with Hagbane.
the sinergy was amazing, whilest my opponent was to busy watching my Dark Riders my Glade Riders snuck in behind and destroyed his warmachines. was very satisfying :P
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:in my first (and sadly most likely last) Elf Legion fight. I used 2 Dark Rider units and 1 Glade Rider with Hagbane.
the sinergy was amazing, whilest my opponent was to busy watching my Dark Riders my Glade Riders snuck in behind and destroyed his warmachines. was very satisfying :P

Why your last? Your friend say he would not play you again with that army? I got a lot of ribbing for adding a skullcannon to my Warriors of Chaos army. They haven't even seen my idea for an Eternity army yet. !eek!
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

Sir, you need to be introduced to magnets before you build all of your models. I have all of my standards magnetized so that I can pull off the banner and attach the spear tip. I also have the top half of all of my riders magnetized to allow me to change them to Warlocks OR Dark Riders. Grab about 100, 1/8" x 1/8" cylinder magnets on ebay for about 10-20 bucks.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

^^ this.

Magnets are indeed very helpful. Getting the right size can be a bit of a challenge because spear shafts are pretty thin, and cutting them up takes some precision.

I would recommend starting with just magnetizing your bases to get a feel for the materials needed first. Then move on to creating a cauldron that can swap for a bloodwrack with magnets.

But, using magnets for the first time can be daunting.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Gidean wrote:
Searinox Nagharha wrote:in my first (and sadly most likely last) Elf Legion fight. I used 2 Dark Rider units and 1 Glade Rider with Hagbane.

Why your last? Your friend say he would not play you again with that army? I got a lot of ribbing for adding a skullcannon to my Warriors of Chaos army. They haven't even seen my idea for an Eternity army yet. !eek!

That aint it, he actually quite enjoyed it (even the magic). But I dont rly feel like putting all the time and effort into building a WE Detachment of about 1000 points for my Eternity army if the Legion rules arent used in 9th (or supported in any of the tournements)
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

if the Legion rules arent used in 9th (or supported in any of the tournements)

YUUUP. This coming tournament season and 9th edition will determine sales for next year on elf kits.

After hearing the latest buzz the last few days I kind of wonder now if they might force legion rules in 9th so that it conforms with their financial plans.
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

I'd probably think it makes the most sense not to give dark riders the standard if you're doing units of 5 or trying to use them as chaff/redirectors.

If they flee, you lose the standard and give your opponent victory points. I think shields are nice to protect them from light shooting and definitely musician so that they get +1 to rally.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Only if they flee from being broken in close combat, Coop. If they flee any other time the standard lives and flees with them.

Odds are if 5 Dark Riders loose combat, there won't be any survivors to flee anyway...
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

dms505 wrote:
if the Legion rules arent used in 9th (or supported in any of the tournements)

YUUUP. This coming tournament season and 9th edition will determine sales for next year on elf kits.

After hearing the latest buzz the last few days I kind of wonder now if they might force legion rules in 9th so that it conforms with their financial plans.

IF 9th is indeed being released this summer it is already written and off to the printers for binding. Too late to change anything.

Vulcan wrote:Only if they flee from being broken in close combat, Coop. If they flee any other time the standard lives and flees with them.

Odds are if 5 Dark Riders loose combat, there won't be any survivors to flee anyway...

+1
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Vulcan wrote:Only if they flee from being broken in close combat, Coop. If they flee any other time the standard lives and flees with them.

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:That aint it, he actually quite enjoyed it (even the magic). But I dont rly feel like putting all the time and effort into building a WE Detachment of about 1000 points for my Eternity army if the Legion rules arent used in 9th (or supported in any of the tournements)

It's like the Cult of Slaanesh all over again :evil:
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...