Deathknell Watch

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
legendariopaladin
Slave (off the Altar)

Deathknell Watch

Post by legendariopaladin »

Hey everybody! Here you have another project I´ve been doing these last days, a Deathknell Watch, from Games Workshop. Any advice or help would be really nice for me. Thank you.
Hope you like it:

MangoPunch
Noble

Re: Deathknell Watch

Post by MangoPunch »

The stone looks great and moss and dirtiness make it interesting to look at, which a lot of stone terrain isn't. The only criticism is that the wood looks flat and heavy - it is also much more saturated (amount of pigment) than the rest of the piece which means your eyes are drawn to it. You might want to consider a couple coats of wash, and some desaturated highlights, on the wood.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

MangoPunch wrote:The stone looks great and moss and dirtiness make it interesting to look at, which a lot of stone terrain isn't. The only criticism is that the wood looks flat and heavy - it is also much more saturated (amount of pigment) than the rest of the piece which means your eyes are drawn to it. You might want to consider a couple coats of wash, and some desaturated highlights, on the wood.

I was just thinking the same thing before I read your post. The stone work on both looks amazing!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
legendariopaladin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by legendariopaladin »

I forgot to write it´s a WIP on the subject of this post! Yeah you are right, the wood needs more work. I know, it only has the base color. It will have highlights and washes. When I finish it I´ll upload a photo.
Thank you for your comments!
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I'd try using a duller effect on the wood. The tower looks amazing, mossy and a little run down, but such a bright colour of wood might look out of place.

Have you considered the following:
Eshin Grey as a base
Agrax Earthshade Wash
Greenshade Wash
Steel Legion Drab drybrush.

Gives a more aged and slightly moudly oak effect.